Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

The Lord Bude posted:

Everyone should just buy corsair everything and not worry anymore.

Except RAM for corporate machines, they're still trying to recommend 1.65v kits for IVB desktops without proper XMP/SPD support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Magic Underwear posted:

You will though. All the next-gen games at E3 looked really good, they're going to be amazing on PC. And since apparently nobody considers PC as a competitor to consoles, most of the "exclusives" are coming to PC as well.

I think the PC is going to get many more, much better console ports this generation since both of the performance-oriented consoles are literally running on PC hardware. I wonder if we'll see AMD release cards with an APU and 6+GB GDDR5 with the advertising slant of "just drop a PS4 in your PC!"

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I haven't so much as seen a Java/Flash installer at home for almost a year thanks to Ninite. Granted I also haven't seen a driver update in the same amount of time, since it looks like my 4870s will be carrying me well into the new year.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I'll just run my games on an 8GB GDDR5 RAMdisk.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

El Scotch posted:

"I wish I'd waited". The story of everyone with an interest in Hardware, ever.

I've determined that there is no "best" time to buy hardware. There is, at most, a least-worst time when the stars (availability, compatibility, and coupons) align and you have to bite the bullet and hope you're throwing your money down the right hole.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Redline. :rice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Zero VGS posted:

There's a thing where after enough coins are mined into the economy, the "difficulty" increases to the point where it is like twice as hard to mine coins with the same hardware, which means you're getting them twice as slow or burning double the electricity. When that happens people will give it a rest or try to develop dedicated mining hardware like ASICs and the GPUs will return to normal price.

Either that or AMD ramps up production enough to meet demand, or a combination of both.

IIRC nobody's buying AMD hardware to mine BitCoins anymore since ASICs have already cranked the difficulty to the point where not even the ASICs themselves really have a chance of breaking even. They're all getting snatched up for LiteCoins and Dogecoins and Coinye and whatever other stupid loving worthless pre-mined horseshit fork of Bitcoin is the new hot flavor this week. AMD's production issues will cease based on prohibitive legislation or the end of greed-based cryptography, whichever comes first.

Incidentally, my former boss is apparently running 8 Litecoin mining rigs with multiple R9-series cards in the shop's A/C-less warehouse; they're all throttling at 85°C when the temperature outside is under 20°C. It's gonna be awesome when summer rolls around, the ambient temperature hits 48°C, and every card dies simultaneously.