Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

This certainly makes the 980ti look quite appealing. Performance equal to the titan x in most situations.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2433246

Here is the first page of the review site.
http://vga.zol.com.cn/522/5229872.html

I know I am tempted to make it my next upgrade. I hope AMD puts out some juicy info to help stay my credit card.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Anandtech review looks pretty good. Once I see some nonreference cards from EVGA/MSI/Asus on amazon, it is going to be tough to avoid pulling the trigger. On the one hand, waiting for AMD is an option, and they may have something compelling. On the other hand, I am on summer break from teaching, and the time I have to do poo poo and play games is right now. Not two months from now.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

65% of the price for 95% of the performance sounds pretty good to me. Especially when I have a 1440p monitor, and am currently using a 760.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

MSI and Asus need to get these things out. I don't really want to buy a blower 980ti. I might go with an EVGA ACX card if they become easily available first.

The asus has some new three fan cooler of theirs, though we just have a render.

Asus has a hybrid coming out too, but I prefer to just stick to air with my system.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 1, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Bleh Maestro posted:

Is AMD going to announce their poo poo or what? What are they waiting for?
They are waiting for everybody to buy 980ti cards first, obviously.

Seriously though, they need to get some info out. The 390x needs to be priced at $600 and outperform the 980ti by if they want to have a real shot.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Mazz posted:

Does anyone know the dimensions of the 980ti, specifically that MSi one? I'll prob need a new case if it's even slightly longer then the 970 :(
Listed right here, under dimension. 169*140*40 mm

I've had good experiences with MSI's coolers in the past. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one of those up, if I could find it anywhere.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I got an autonotice from EVGA that the ACX backplate version was in stock. By the time I managed to actually load up the site, which is crawling, it was gone. They do list the reference model as being in stock right now, if any body is interested.
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-4990-KR

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Rumored slower than an 980ti and initially priced at $850. That is not a good place for AMD to be. Not to mention drawing up to 375 watts, and suggesting a 700 watt supply. I have a good 660w supply, which I am sure would work, but even then it isn't sounding like something I would buy.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Incredulous Dylan posted:

All I could read yesterday on Reddit hardware threads (yes, I know) was the same 20 people clogging up the comments arguing that Nvidia was pricing the 980 Ti at $650 to sell as many units as possible before the big AMD reveal killed them.
If AMD had something that could beat the 980ti, they should be screaming about it from the rooftops right now. Instead we get silence. That doesn't suggest confidence to me. My hunch is they are trying to figure out what to do. They definitely can't price it at $850, if the performance is as suggested. For something slower, hungrier, hotter, and with less ram than the 980ti, it needs to be $500 max, and even that might be a tough sell. The 980ti is basically a knife twist in AMD's plans, bringing titanX performance down to $650 and ruining any likely AMD value.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

repiv posted:

The product code for an ASUS 390X leaked and had the indicator for GDDR5 in it, so the going theory is that the 390X is a 290X rebrand and Fiji will have a non-numeric name like Titan.
That seems to be the current thought.

Here are the latest rumored totally unsubstatiated prices.

quote:

-R9 380 4gb $199
-R9 390 8gb $299
-R9 390x 8gb $399
-Fiji pro 4gb hbm $599
-Fiji xt 4gb hbm $749
-Fiji xt /xtx 8gb hbm $849
-Fiji vr 2x8gb hbm $1399-$1499

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Computex news.

First actual picture of Asus' 980ti

MSI's card. No mention of a lightning variant right now.

EVGA is apparently doing a Kingpin edition, which I guess is some expensive version made for overclocking.

Wish I could get my hands on either the Asus or the MSI cards. Would happily buy either one.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, I really do want AMD to remain competitive. If they weren't refreshing their GPU lineup this month, I am sure nvidia would have been happy enough to milk the TitanX a bit longer, or to up the price on the 980ti. Competition is a good thing.

Given the specs, it is possible that the Fiji cards could end up slightly faster than a 980ti, provided that the drivers are as well optimized as nvidia's. In reality though, we know that probably won't be the case.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

People are reporting 2-3 weeks until we get more widespread availability.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/38g48w/amazon_estimated_to_have_gtx_980ti_in_23_weeks/

At the very least, I suppose it means I'll get to see AMD's reveal before ordering a card. Given the chance though, I would buy a 980ti right now.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

particle9 posted:

I saw that, I am partial to EVGA for some odd reason. Want to try and snag a EVGA superclock edition with the single fan setup if I continue to act crazy.
The blower coolers work fine, but can be a little loud if the rest of your system is quiet. They are supposed to be good if you have bad airflow, or are trying to cram two in SLI really close together.

Personally I stick with single cards, and value quiet parts. When it comes to the performance of nonstock coolers, the big names look like the following, at least on the old 980. This is talking about air coolers, and not any sort of hybrid or liquid stuff.

Quiet:
MSI = Asus > Gigabyte > EVGA

Cool:
MSI = Gigabyte > Asus > EVGA

The fact is that the ACX cooler just isn't that good compared to the others. It still cools better than the reference blower, but is noisier and hotter than the others. MSI and Asus both have extremely quiet coolers, while MSI and Gigabyte are the best at keeping the card cool. In general, the MSI TwinFrozr is an extremely effective cooler when it comes to both noise and performance.

Asus has a redesigned cooler for the 980ti though, with three fans like Gigabyte's windforce. It might end up being a very good option.

Edit: This is also leaving out super-expensive variants. EVGA's cooler for the Kingpin looks legit, but it probably costs more than I want to pay.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 5, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The reference PNY has been in stock at newegg all day, which at least does suggest somewhat better availability. I mean, I realize nobody really wants to buy a PNY card unless they get a deal on it, but I am sure it works fine. It is the stock pcb with the stock cooler, after all.

It does seem that MSI is coming out with a lightning-like variant, though all they've shown is a box. Rumor is a couple months for that one. The twin frozr 6g version is supposed to be out by the end of the month.

Not much news from Asus. Definitely interested in their three fan cooler though. Hopefully out by the end of the month, but I can't find anything.

Maximumpc has some SLI scaling numbers. Works better with some games than others. Personally I've only ever stuck with a single card, but I could definitely see the appeal if you have a 1440p 144 Hz monitor, or are planning to get one. A little rich for me right now.
http://www.maximumpc.com/nvidia-gtx-980-ti-2-way-sli-crushing-performance/

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The gigabyte nonreference is up for preorder on newegg now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=6202798&SID=

The windforce is one of the most effective coolers, though it has not been one of the quietest in the past. Sounds like they've finally added a mode which stops the fans at low utilization though.

Also a hands on with the Asus nonreference. No numbers, just some fondling. Still, looks nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxCAySMpFg8

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I feel like it was just yesterday when I was arguing and generally failing to make the case the for some users could make use of a 780/290 for 1080p. Seeing all this 980ti love warms my heart
I don't think it takes too much convincing beyond "Hey, witcher 3!" right now. It is a great game, and it is bringing GPUs to their knees.

The ACX 980ti was up on evga's site for a good chunk of the day, which suggests that availability is getting a little better. Still holding off for an MSI or Asus nonreference though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Sure, pascal will no doubt kick maxwell around, but there are games to play right now! Witcher 3, GTA5, and probably Fallout 4 later this year. Granted, fallout 4 isn't likely to be a terribly GPU intensive game compared to the others, but it is still something people will be looking forward to. I imagine pascal will be around this time next year. Personally, as a current 760 owner, I am mighty tempted by the 980ti.

Granted, there aren't really any nonreference boards out yet, so if that is what you want it seems pretty harmless to wait for the reviews of AMD's stuff. I certainly hope the fury cards are competitive, but the rebrands of rebrands for the rest of he line is a bit of a turnoff.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, the rebranded cards definitely seem to be big losers. I am hoping that the fury cards are at least competitive, or AMD is going to have a really hard time of it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Okayh, FuryX at the same price as a 980ti. So, what everybody wants to know is, how well does it stack up to a 980ti? Particularly on games like Witcher 3, GTA V, and the like. If it is priced the same, it better be at least 10% faster in real games to make it an appealing option.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Sounds like we'll probably see reviews on the 24'th.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ouch, that hardocp review really is damning.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/06/24/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_video_card_review/11

quote:

The new AMD Fiji GPU and Fury X video card looks awesome on paper, but has underwhelmed and disappointed us when it comes to real world gameplay. The AMD Radeon R9 Fury X feels like a proof of concept for HBM technology.

In terms of gaming performance, the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X seems like better competition for the GeForce GTX 980 4GB video card, rather than the GeForce GTX 980 Ti. GTX 980 cards are selling for as low at $490 today. This is not a good thing since the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X is priced at $649, the same price as the GeForce GTX 980 Ti.

(Editor's Note: AMD's Fury X is starting to show up at Amazon and Newegg this morning.)

Usually trying to decide between two video cards at the same price point is a wash, with very even and split performance. However, this is not the case this time with the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X and GeForce GTX 980 Ti. There is a definite pattern that leads to one video card being the best value for the money, and it is GeForce GTX 980 Ti, not the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 24, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am still hoping to get my hands on the MSI 6g for reasonable overclock and quiet. It was briefly in stock at newegg the other day, but that is it. Come on MSI, ship those suckers out!

This is the closest thing we have to a review of the 6g. Would prefer something better though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iORNWrgty4

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 24, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Bleh Maestro posted:

Can you post a link to the newegg or Amazon listing? I can't seem to find any of the aftermarket cooler 980ti
It isn't in stock anywhere, but here are the links.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127889&cm_re=980ti-_-14-127-889-_-Product
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-980Ti-GAMING-6G/dp/B0106QZE62/ref=sr_1_20?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1435167193&sr=1-20&keywords=980ti

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, the gigabyte is not that quiet. The windforce cooler does cool very effectively though, beating out EVGA and the reference.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/34.html

The gigabyte gaming cards are often the best performers, but not all that silence oriented. Still, if you just put on a headset, you might not care.

MSI has been the kings of quiet with recent cards. Here is the old 980.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_980_Gaming/24.html

Here is another one, that shows the 980 noise and temps compared to other 980s.
http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5867/10/15x-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-and-980-review-what-card-to-pick-cooling-noise-levels-and-power-use

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 24, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The MSI 6g was in stock for a while at newegg today. Ordered one to replace my 760. Should be a nice upgrade, as my 760 was only really doing 30'ish at 1440p on Witcher 3 with medium settings.

Going into my mATX system which I like to keep nice and quiet. Uses a seasonic PSU with fanless operation, a noctua CPU fan, scythe exhaust fan, and the 180mm silverstone on the front that comes with the case.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 25, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

What case is that?
Silverstone tj08b-e
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163182

I like the thing. Only thing to note is that with the top mounted power supply, you'll hear it a lot more than with other cases. So if you care about quiet, make sure your PS has a fanless mode. I have one of these, and it works very well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151121

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Rather Dashing posted:

So I've decided to go with a GTX 970 4GB. Is the MSI version good enough? Bit bewildered by all the different makes. Is overclocking simple enough with it?
MSI is fine. Buy that. As for overclocking, download afterburner. Load it up, move a slider, and congratulations, you have overclocked!
http://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

My 980ti is listed as out for delivery right now. Come on Fedex, I want to stick it in!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So after seeing the reviews of the Fury X yesterday, I noticed that the MSI 6g was in stock at newegg. I ordered it with overnight shipping, got it today, and stuck it right in my machine.

My computer is less than pretty on the inside. Shot didn't turn out so well due to a lack of light inside the case.

It crushes my old 760 into the dust. I can witcher 3 with settings cranked up at 1440p with an fps in the 60s, rather than 30-35 fps at medium settings with my old card.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 25, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, if you look at steam stats, the more expensive cards tend to not be well represented. Most people who buy GPUs get something in the $200-$300 range.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Of the discrete GPUs, the three most common are the 760, 970, and the 660. If you are compare along GPU lines, the more expensive ones usually tend to appear less. Giant high end GPUs need to have higher profit margins to make up for the lack of sales.

The 980ti probably would be more expensive if AMD didn't exist. It was a preemptive thrust to try and hobble value from the Fury cards. Seems it did a good job too.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I guess I understand why AMD is pushing the 4k angle, but it is really an irrelevant resolution to most people. The majority of people are still gaming at 1080p. We are seeing some high refresh rate 1440p IPS monitors now, and they are an excellent high end for people with cash. For an expensive flagship card, 1440p makes sense to push. I have an IPS 1440p display, though only a 60 Hz one, and I quite like it. My new 980ti seems like an excellent fit, driving most games at ultra settings around the 60 fps range.

According to the steam hardware survey, 4k is 0.06% of gamers. That is an awfully small segment to try and market to. I am sure we will get to the point where it is standard, but I feel like it is a little further away than people are anticipating.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am loving the new 980ti for 1440p sweetness. Going from 30 fps on medium to 60 fps on ultra in Witcher 3 and GTAV is a great change. I had considered waiting for pascal, but there are plenty of games I have to enjoy before then. GTAV, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and so on. Pascal could conceivably be 12-18 months away. I already shipped off my old 760 to one of my friends to use in his girlfriend's computer.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 26, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

d3rt posted:

Should I hold out for the non-reference cooling 980 tis to come back in stock, or are the reference cooler cards OK? I don't care about overclocking.
The EVGA ACX cards aren't that hard to get. Put an auto-notify in on the evga site, or watch newegg. They come up pretty frequently. They aren't as quite as good as the Gigabyte or MSI customs, but I would totally take one over a reference blower.

The Gigabyte and MSI cards with custom pcbs are harder to find, and get snapped up pretty fast still. The Asus version still has yet to be spotted in the wild.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Gigabyte in stock right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=6202798&SID=

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I don't know much about Zotac, but that is definitely the cheapest nonreference 980ti I've seen.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The level of denial there really is impressive.

The conclusion from reviewers seems to be that an overclocked Fury is pretty comparable to a stock 980ti, but an overclocked 980ti runs away with the crown fairly easily. The pump noise and coil whine mentioned by JayzTwoCents doesn't inspire confidence either.

Don't get me wrong, I wish that Fury would have totally put Nvidia in its place. An Nvidia on the back foot would have lead to some nice competition.

Even the 390x seems slightly too expensive for what it is. Bring it down to the $340'ish range and it would be a pretty compelling option though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Thelonious Monk posted:

With all the new AMD stuff out, would an aftermarket-cooled r9 290x be a bad choice for a budget-level card? Been planning a mITX build for sometime but I just haven't be able to decide on the GPU (or the CPU for that matter, but that's for the PC building megathread I suppose). My main concern is that although I'm using a 1080p monitor now, I'm considering getting a 21:9 monitor in the near future and so would like a card that would be able to drive one of those.
The 390 is probably the brightest spot in the AMD lineup right now, when it comes to price/performance. A number of benchmarks have it beating the 290x, and it is the same price with 8 gb of ram. At $330, it is a pretty good deal.

That said, I am not sure how well either card would be for a mITX build. Typically power and heat is more of a concern, and that is generally not where AMD cards shine. The exact card also heavily depends on your case. A tall card like the following wouldn't fit in every mITX case.
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-R9-390-GAMING-8G/dp/B00ZGF0UAE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435447521&sr=8-2&keywords=390

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Naaaaaaanoooooooooooooooooo.
I was going off of the techpowerup benchmarks. Not saying it is the best card ever, but looking at Witcher 3 and GTAV, it has a pretty good showing given its cost. Those tend to be the two games people care about right now.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X/24.html

GTA

Witcher 3

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 28, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The MSI is in stock at newegg. It is a good card. I own one myself.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127889

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

1450 on the core and 3800 on the memory should be fairly easy to achieve. Above that it starts to become more of a crapshoot. You might need to bump up the voltage, and then you need to make sure you have reasonable case ventilation. Your card should have hynix memory (try running gpu-z), which overclocks pretty well.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 29, 2015