Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

triple sulk posted:

I still have two U2412Ms that I used to use as my primary monitors before I bought my ultrawide. Just been too lazy to bother selling them. Don't remember if they came with a cable or not.

It sucks that the 480 benchmarks are going to be coming out a bit late compared to the third party 1080/1070, even if the latter two are probably still going to end up being the better option. I'm still on the fence about if I want to go all in on the 1080 or not, since the 970 I have generally runs everything pretty well at maximum settings on 3440x1440, and the 1070 would just be the nice upgrade.

i've only been half-heartedly following the reviews/benchmarks, what makes you think the 1070 would be a better option than the 480? last i heard people were pretty upbeat about the $200 vs $380 price point, even considering that the 1070 should be some ways better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

More so a $239 price point since an 8GB frame buffer is a good thing to have now, and the price premium comes with the fact that you're not buying a card (all value aside) made by a company that by all rights might only be making 'high-end' GPUs for consoles in two years' time. Also, nVidia usually holds back about 10-20% in 'hidden' performance gains in drivers for 'just in case' situations.

I know the reason I buy nVidia, despite the added expense, is because you've practically got a new or unofficial driver coming out once or twice per week. AMD can't match that. They need to extend their 'let the community help' thing to their drivers again.

oooooooooooh, $199 is just the 4gb model? did not know that, thanks

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i'm just not at all optimistic that we're going to see any of these cards widely available at their MSRP any time soon

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Every 3rd party had a 1080 up for the given MSRP (or really close to) on launch day, so I don't see any reason to believe otherwise right now.

i could be wrong and dumb but i haven't seen any in stock

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

Between a 200$ 970 and a 200$ RX480, I'd pick the RX480 TBH. A 970 is completely tapped out in potential while an RX480 is just starting out (and knowing AMD by mid 2017 will have 20% more performance than a 980 because :drivers:). An RX480 is also way more future proof, and both will basically suck up the same amount of power from what we know. A new RX480 will also have warranty, a used 970 needs to be EVGA IIRC to still be under warranty.

Also since like mid 2015 AMD drivers have been decidedly not poo poo, just don't install Raptr and use OBS for your recording needs (until someone at AMD pulls their head out of their rear end on streaming/recording).

i was pretty pleased with AMD's response to just cause 3 drivers-wise. the game was effectively unplayable at launch (for me, at least) until AMD released updated drivers, but it only took like a day.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Continue not preordering video games as per usual?

preordering games is dumb and bad but i did it anyway this time bc the last time i bought a game from origin it took literally a week for them to decide my payment had fully, 1000% cleared, and i have been impatiently waiting for more mirror's edge for years. and i have an R9 380 anyway.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

maybe use a toaster oven? i assume a video card would fit

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bleh Maestro posted:

e: Also it's going to really suck if Nvidia's $100 lower MSRP for all these cards is basically non-existent in real life.

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think will happen. I'll check on Friday for $380 cards but lol I have zero faith.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

xthetenth posted:

If they don't get that low the 480 should undercut the poo poo out of them. Heck it's already a significantly better price/performance proposition at $200-240 unless the performance guesses are way off.

Yeah, I'm in no rush, if I can't get a 1070 at the advertised price then I'll just wait for things to settle down and hope the 480 is what we expect it to be.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MSI has already announced a couple non-FE 1070 models:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01GUAJMRU/?ie=UTF8&condition=all&tag=nisa-20&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01GUAJMNE/?ie=UTF8&condition=all&tag=nisa-20&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

nvidia store has FE in stock, not seeing them anywhere else. evga has like four models on their site but none will actually load.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

aaaand it's gone

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EVGA have apparently sold out for today, won't have more until next week. for the most part it seems like sites just haven't put them up for sale yet, not that they're selling out. that zotac card was the only one i've seen on amazon.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

looks like plenty of 1070 FE cards on newegg

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EVGA 1070 at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487247&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=gtx_1070-_-14-487-247-_-Product

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

newegg had them in stock for a full hour this morning, so while it's not gonna be super easy, it's not like these things are instantly selling out. and i still haven't seen anything but the lone zotac on amazon so idk if they're holding back or what.

E: there are four or five cards back up on newegg

wicka fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 10, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Why are people ITT buying a 1070 FE card when they are 100 bucks more expensive and the AIB cards are probably going to be better? Also whats the over under on a place like Fry's having these at their store today so I can go rent one for 30 days while I wait for the AIB versions to show up?

they are only $70 more expensive, and that's assuming you can actually get AIB cards at $380. evga's cheapest non-reference model is $420, so people aren't optimistic. also impatience. and also i've heard from a surprising amount of people who just genuinely really like the reference blower/backplate.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Taima posted:

Graphics card boxes will never, ever, ever change, will they?

are you kidding? they used to have poorly-rendered, big-tittied angels on half of them. they've changed a lot.

it's like a trip down memory lane

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

I can't believe I still have the url for the heatsink I added.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/thermalright-t-rad2-vga-cooler-ati-nvidia-hs-057-tr.html

Combined with some great fans, it overclocked something stupid like 25% over the already 25%-faster-than-normal-9800 GT's. While a normal 9800 GT was running 600 Mhz, this was running at 900!

I wonder if I found some wires, if it'll still work :v:

[edit] my pc from before cable management was invented. That poor bottom fan.

this is what every PC looked like when I was 14 and all of my friends' cases had windows through which you could only see wires

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i feel old

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Taima posted:

What's the deal with Amazon getting their 1070 stock late as gently caress? I guess Nvidia sold Newegg some kind of temporary exclusive online retailer agreement or something?

i was confused about that too. still don't think i've seen any cards on amazon other than that lone zotac.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

I don't get it, what's wrong with it? It looks alright, it's not covered in XTREME ~GAM3R~ poo poo.

it looks insanely cheap and lovely. like an off-brand aluminum hard drive enclosure.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

xthetenth posted:

A full aluminum shroud and possibly a backplate on a $200 range card looks cheap?

A bit of plastic around the fans is much more usual, even on $600+ cards.

i don't understand what the material has to do with what it looks like. it could be made of angel tears and still look cheap if it were poorly designed, which it is.

it reminds me of something like this https://www.amazon.com/External-Drive-Enclosure-Aluminum-Silver/dp/B00TN13Q6M

thin, cheap, corrugated aluminum with cheaper plastic accents. looks like it's going to cut my hand when i try to install it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

From what I've read, the odds are that it's Polaris 10.

the chips in the current-gen consoles are all custom, to various degrees, so i would be surprised if it's truly an off-the-shelf polaris

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lungboy posted:

For any UK types, Overclockers have cut all their 9xx prices pretty drastically. Still a bit high if the 480 delivers as expected, but the hell knows with amd?

i'm still not convinced enough that AMD will deliver that i wouldn't pull the trigger on an AIB 1070 if it got down to $400

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

you know it may also be worth noting that intel started making much better products

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khorne posted:

There is no mystery here: AMD's drivers are trash. I would pay an extra $150 for a card to not use AMD drivers.

have you ever actually owned an AMD card

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

don't take this the wrong way but

are you sure?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Right, but the question that will forever eternally hang in the air is, "Did Intel's anti-competitive business practices put it into a position that they could increase funding to their R&D division and come out with a killer product in response to AMDX64?" followed by, "Did Intel's anti-competitive business practices magnify the market share gains of their better product?".

I would argue that yes, in spite of AMD not doing itself any favors, Intel exerted an unfair advantage by shutting AMD out of the OEM market while Intel themselves set up a recursive loop: Anti-competitive agreements with OEMs increase revenue, which can be spent on R&D or fabs, which increases margin, and gets them a tech lead, which they could then use to sell the latest and greatest to the OEMs. And this happened for, by some accounts, almost a decade, with allegations stemming back from the early 90s into the mid-00s.

If you ask me, any advantage you can maintain for a decade (or longer, even!), regardless of how infinitesimal, is going to pay off dividends in the end.

oh you're absolutely right, i just thought it was odd that everyone jumped to intel's anti-competitive business tactics when the beginning of AMD's real troubles came when intel utilized the fruits of those tactics to start producing superior products. intel has been underhanded for decades but AMD wasn't struggling when they only had to compete with netburst.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

nvidia's drivers were superior to AMD's for quite some time but to suggest that you'd pay a $150 premium to avoid AMD drivers is a baffling stance that isn't really supported by reality

crimson is a lot better but it's not all the way there in terms of the control panel UI. it still throws you back into CCC for things like scaling.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

macnbc posted:

So for people who've been through paper launches before, just how long does this poo poo last?

Like when should I reasonably expect to be able to get a 1070? July? August? November 2017?

if you are willing to pay the FE premium you could probably get one today

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ehhh, I disagree, if you have had bad enough experiences with a product or company I can see just swearing off their products period.

a bit childish, no? things can and do change.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

macnbc posted:

So for people who've been through paper launches before, just how long does this poo poo last?

Like when should I reasonably expect to be able to get a 1070? July? August? November 2017?

EDIT: VVVVV- Today? Doubtful.

zotac 1070 is literally on Amazon right now

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Djarum posted:

Every couple of years I decide to give AMD a chance and I am always pushed away by their awful driver support. I am really amazed how they have never gotten them under control especially at this point.

Granted there has been some recent Nvidia issues but my god they at least work 95% of the time at the worst. I had a r360 for testing a few months ago and the driver would crash and recover several times a day, the same issue I had with a 4870 5(?) years before. I like what AMD does with their hardware but until they can get a solid set of drivers it will always be a second tier solution, at least for me.

yeah this is one thousand percent Your Fault because that's not something most people experience. how does it even need to be stated that, duh, it's not normal for your drivers to crash daily? did you just assume everyone else was quietly living with it?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Djarum posted:

It is the "driver has crashed and recovered" nonsense. I have only ever gotten it with AMD cards, hardware independent. I think I have only gotten it once with a Nvidia card in a decade.

"if it smells like poo poo everywhere you go, look under your shoe"

the fact of the matter is that this isn't remotely a common issue with AMD drivers, i've never once experienced it, so it's ridiculous for you to hold it against them when something else is clearly the root cause.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

If you have a recurring issue with "video drivers" after multiple versions and a clean windows install, you have another issue that isn't video driver related at that point.

this is really what everyone is trying to say. AMD has long been behind on drivers, thats not really up for debate, but it's never been the case that they would crash multiple times daily. if that's happening to you then there is another cause, and it's silly to write off AMD for something that isn't their fault.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't know - Vista was pretty bad.

i literally never had one single problem with vista ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Linx posted:

Let's not forget that vista chewed up all the RAM it could get its grubby hands on

isn't that because they started caching frequently used apps in memory? but the OS would give that memory back if anything actually needed it. and now they just hide that feature so it doesn't look like the memory is utilized.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Outside of that, with >1G ram it was usable, and with 2+ it ran great. XP felt literally archaic going back to it on all the systems I had to work on back then.

i upgraded to vista shortly after launch, most of my friends stuck with XP until 7, every time i had to use a PC that wasn't mine it felt like i was on windows 98

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Taima posted:

What exactly do people dislike about Windows 10? I'm not sure if I've ever had a bad experience with it, ever. And it's quite fast.

no clue, it's 8 with all the glaring dumbness fixed. huge improvement over 7.