Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

If I take the side panel off of my case my GPU fan spins up significantly almost immediately. This isn't a special server case or OEM build where the system knows the side panel has been removed, it's just an ordinary Cooler Master Centurion 5 running the exact same fans it had when I bought it 10 years ago.

Another person with a Centurion 5? What size video card are you using? I'm thinking of getting a 970 but most of the models are pushing 11 inches and at that point you're cutting into the hard drive area and my cable routing is a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

EVGA 970SC fits just fine. It actually fits a bit better than other video cards I've had thanks to the side power connectors. The drive bay in front of the slot is still empty from two upgrades ago but could be used with a right-angle SATA plug.

(excuse my total lack of cable management, nothing runs hot so I really don't care)

How cool does the EVGA card run? (How is it that every 970 that comes out has coil whine somehow?)

Your cable routing is better than mine, I just stick the 15 cords I don't use under the 5 inch bays because I stupidly didn't buy the PSU with removable cords at the time. Having the 6 pin connectors on the side would probably help. I could fit in the MicroITX Gigabyte or the Zotac 970 into that slot since they're both barely cracking 7/8 inches in length come to think of it.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 25, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Switch the cables out? You might just have a bad cable.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So I just set up a new computer with an AMD/ATI R7 250X, and overall this thing kicks rear end, but I'm running into a weird little problem. Whenever I run a game in 720p (or even 1080p, with Crysis and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance) on my TV over HDMI, I get a decent amount of underscan- not enough to be a huge problem but definitely noticeable.

I tried loving with the scaling settings in Catalyst Control Center but none of them seem to work. Changing my desktop resolution to 720p, playing a game in 720p, and changing it back solves the problem but it's kind of a giant pain and doesn't fix Crysis or MGR. Anyone else have this problem or find out a fix?

Changing the scaling settings in CCC should have fixed it; underscan on HDMI cables for AMD cards has been around for at least a couple years. It's definitely hugely annoying.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I got my MSI 970 4G today, and dang, it's a long card. Made cable routing a real pain.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

You should see the Gigabyte one, it's mental. The extra length is heatsink/fan.

If I got that one I would have to hacksaw the HD cage in order to fit it in. :aaa:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm impressed with the MSI 970's fans because I accidentally blocked one with poor cable routing and it still managed to keep the temps at 80c or below at full test load in Kombustor.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Looking at all 3 in front of me right now: go with Strix, Twin Frozr V, or ACX 2.0?

My heart says EVGA but this generation's reviews make me think ASUS or MSI would be the better choice.

My MSI card (Twin Frozr V) runs at most 66c in Kombustor in a case made originally in 2004 (Centurion 5) with about an inch and a half of airflow and cables everywhere. Even when I accidentally blocked one of the fans with a cable it never exceeded 80c (the fan never actually went above 80% speed either,which shows the default fan profile is a little lax).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Capn Jobe posted:

Also, the fans aren't turning, even though I certainly plugged the power cable into the cooling unit. Do the fans just not turn at a light load, or do I need to check the power connection?

Most of the 970 models won't spin up until the card temp reaches above 55 to 60c.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Inovius posted:

Looks like evga has 2 new 970 models coming out that have the updated FTW cooler + a cooling plate on the memory & mosfets. I'm probably leaning towards a FTW+ once they finally hit personally.

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/547831253295460352

EVGA having at least 6 different bins for the same model is confusing as all hell.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

There was some chart with a benchmark done with a 980 running on different cpus and there was either 0 fps changes or a +1-2 difference from a 2xxx to a 4xxxx upgrade. Another 970 would do far more then a mobo/cpu swap for you if you really cared. I'm happy with my one 980/3770k maxing out things at 1600/60 personally. Hoping to ride out 2560 for another 2 gpu cycles and then make the switch to 4k monitor/single gpu able to do 4k60 (or 120??)

Most of those charts are based any i5/i7 model as the baseline. i3-3220 knocks a bunch more FPS off usually.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/341

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
In Far Cry 4 using the Nvidia selection will add a heap of things that you'll never notice (like higher quality fur on animals) unless you're really looking for it. Ultra is probably a better position to start tweaking from.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Kombustor comes with MSI's driver software installation and is decent for stress testing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BurritoJustice posted:

The MSI Gaming 4G is the best in close to every category. The ASUS is a close second. All of the 970s are pretty good, really, the EVGA is only a stinker when compared to other models for the same money, its only mediocre on its own merits.

Additionally get out a rule and see how much space you have to work with. Some models are longer than others, Gigabyte's more than 12 inches in length.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

This is the problem I'm now running into. I have pretty much exactly 10.5" of room in my case, which rules out most of the 970s I'm seeing...though I'm having trouble actually finding size specs for a few of them. Ironically all of the EVGA options seem to have the best fit, not counting the Gigabyte mini version, anyway.

Edit: Looks like it's down to the Zotac, the MSI Golden version (if the extra .01 inch doesn't screw me over), the Gigabyte mini, or any of the EVGA options.

If it's bumping onto your hard drive cage (which is usually the only thing up front on most designs) you can always just saw off a couple inches of it if it isn't full.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

Currently mulling over some upgrade possibilities. Is there any particular reason to get the larger-sized 970 cards instead of the mini ones, other than for overclocking? Or at stock speeds is it identical, just with less fans and a smaller size?

At stock it's going to run hotter (some people with the mini-ITX have reported running at 10c higher than cards with more fans in some things) and probably run louder since it's one fan versus two or three.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The 960 is more comparable to the 285 than the 280 because of the amount of RAM. Just be warned, the 285 draws like a little less than hundred watts more power at full load than the 960.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-review

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Is anyone else struggling to get >40fps in Heroes of the Storm with a 970? Even when I put the settings on normal. It's only 1080p :(

Starcraft is quite heavily CPU bound from what I recall.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Having to RMA every single GPU seems like extraordinary bad luck on your side. GPU's aren't that unreliable that you should have to expect to RMA every one you own.

That's absolutely terrible luck, yeah. The only card I've had sorta fail (it started throwing tons of artifacts everywhere) was a BFG 7800 GS. That was out of warranty (and BFG declared bankruptcy) by the time it failed.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

:eyepop:

I have 2 970s in my new build, and they sit at 60C and 43C in the WIndows desktop. The hotter one (primary) has the fan at about 15%.

On the MSI models the fan doesn't even kick on until it hits 60C to begin with by design. So long as at load you're not going over 80 you'll be fine. Hell, I blocked one of my fans accidentally and it managed to stay under 80C at full load. Didn't even break above 80% fanspeed.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Wasn't the ENB guy real crazy back in the day coding everything on like a 2/3 year old GPU because he refused to upgrade?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Not that I want to give NVidia a pass for the 970 debacle, but it is also kind of telling when people are like "This is an outrage" and Newegg is like "Okay, send it back, full refund", and everyone is like "Oh it's still the best overall card in existence, I just want free monies".

I don't think I can find a single person who outright returned the thing and got an AMD, even out of spite.

I can't think of a Radeon card that has had enough issues that they needed to change specs/recall them. Nvidia had problems with both 8800s series and mobile GPUs for years that they failed to address until they got hit with lawsuits.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

Not if NVIDIA has anything to do with it; they're downright petty when it comes to that, such as not allowing an NVIDIA card to run as a PhysX card if an AMD card is installed.

Wasn't there some bullshit thing with AA in specific games (like Batman) being forced off if Ati cards were detected?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Card shipments are off by a fourth versus last year, probably due to the Euro falling.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

450 watts is fine but a 5 year old PSU is getting a little old in years.

A good rule of thumb is just replace it when your warranty expires. I don't think I've seen a warranty greater than 5 years.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Skwee posted:

So the GTA V drivers for Nvidia cards are supposedly doing bad things to some people's computers. Anyone updated to them yet with a 970 and windows 7 64bit? Don't want to frag my PC just a few hours from GTA V

The game isn't even out yet (unless you're counting pirate releases?) for a couple more hours.

edit: ah, just saw the driver popup on Geforce Experience when I opened it up.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Didn't amd sell a poo poo ton of cards to bitcoin miners last year? Odd not to see that reflected in the graph. iirc they were selling for $100 over MSRP for a while, and it's not like they could have been that supply strained since we've been in the same node since forever.

Bitcoin mining with graphics cards and not ASICs hasn't been viable since early 2014/late 2013 from what I remember.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The highlight from that is that Ambient Occlusion currently does absolutely nothing at the moment.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

betterinsodapop posted:

I thought a 970 paired up with an i5 2500K @4.2Ghz would be able to run GTAV more or less maxed out at 1080p.
I was wrong. :smith: Inconsistent framerate, drops down to the 30s at times. So weird.

The first patch out absolutely tanked framerate and it's been like that since. The game at release ran smooth as hell.

Knowing Rockstar they probably implemented anti-cheat or something with the first patch.

Here's the patch notes from the first patch:

quote:

GTAV PC Patch 1.01 (online 1.24)
Fixed an issue where the GTAV Launcher would use an abnormally high percentage of CPU and sometimes crash
Fixed an issue where frame rate would drop when left-clicking the mouse while driving

Added a grid to the Golf mini-game to show the topology of the green while putting
Fixed an issue where a character’s eyebrows or other facial features could change erroneously when transferred to PC
Fixed an issue where a some players were asked to transfer their GTA Online character while a transfer was already in progress
YouTube uploads via the Rockstar Editor will now correctly resume if Internet connection is lost during the upload and later restored
Fixed a rare issue where the game could crash while using the Rockstar Editor
Projects containing deleted clips will now load properly in the Rockstar Editor and warn the player of the missing clips
Fixed an issue where birds were not recorded correctly in Rockstar Editor clips
Corrected an issue where certain characters in Windows usernames would cause the Launcher to fail to load or other undesired game behavior. For details, see this page.
Fixed an issue where players with one garage would not be able to replace an existing vehicle if the garage was full and the new vehicle was purchased from an in-game website
Additional fixes to prepare for iFruit support
Crew Tire Smoke can no longer be purchased if you are not in a Crew

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 23, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Has anyone else been hit by the last .5GB of the 970? I thought nvidia made drivers to avoid it. I have 350.12 and geforce experience told me it had some optimized settings for GTAV. I figured "Screw it, I've been messing with the settings for so long, let's see what they have." I enabled it and started up GTAV. It worked great until I started driving out of town. Once I drove into Blaine County my FPS dropped to 11. I opened up the settings menu and it said my VRAM was at 3.2 something. I lowered a setting to get the VRAM usage down and all of a sudden I was getting 80 FPS again.

The VRAM bar is pretty inaccurate and the performance problems only started with the patches that came out.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

That bundle is really making me consider getting a 970. I'm looking at this one http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-970-GAMING-100ME/dp/B00TPLKR7Q/ref=cm_wl_huc_item is that a decent MSI one? It sort of sucks because I was planning on holding out until a consumer Vr headset is out and weigh my options then, but I was planning on getting these two games anyway. I have a 2gb 770 right now, so I'm assuming the difference won't be huge but it will probably help a bit in elite dangerous in Vr at least, right?

From what I recall you want the red 970 (the 4G) as all you get with this one is a backplate which is going to vanish if you ever need to RMA the card as it's a limited edition. Plus the 4g is cheaper by about 20 bucks.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to increase the power limit for an MSI 970 in MSI afterburner without resorting to a custom bios?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BurritoJustice posted:

EVGA just went a bit mad and sold refurb reference 980s on their website for $369, and 980 classifieds for $389. Sold out for now but what a crazy good deal.

They have (or had, anyways) 970s for 240/250 as well. Not as crazy of a deal but still pretty good.

edit: 960s are still in stock for ~150 which is pretty good.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 20, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hexenritter posted:

Ha, ironically I was also looking at the MSI ones earlier today, and just ran across the Asus Strix. I'll give the MSI cards another good look. Thank you.

You want the 4G model or the 100ME (if you can find it for the same price or within ~$10). The LE is a downclocked bin of the 4G. The 100ME is the 4G model with a backplate which helps a bit with card droop since the card is pretty heavy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I had the louder and hotter BFG ( :rip: ) FX 5950 Ultra. :haw:

The merger for Nvidia with 3dfx didn't work out for at least 2 years after, that whole FX series was complete poo poo.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Filthy Monkey posted:

1450 on the core and 3800 on the memory should be fairly easy to achieve. Above that it starts to become more of a crapshoot. You might need to bump up the voltage, and then you need to make sure you have reasonable case ventilation. Your card should have hynix memory (try running gpu-z), which overclocks pretty well.

My MSI 970 does ~1500 core and 3900 memory on air with stock bios which is pretty rad considering the case is positively ancient so the airflow isn't that great.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
You do realize you can just run internet/ethernet over power without cable running right? Granted, it depends on the state of your wiring in the house but it should be doable without running more than, say, 70 bucks.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

Seen? gently caress, I've carried a 50" one down four stories of tight stairwell. No thanks.

I've done that, CRTs that big almost always had carrying handles because of that. Nothing like 400 pounds up staircases.

Course the fun thing was leaving it at the apartment where it finally ended up after 5 moves for the next tenants because we were too lazy to get rid of it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

Huh. Rather than carrying handles, that one had plastic ribs that dug into our hands.

It wasn't a flatscreen either so when one of the drunker members enlisted in lugging it for its last move dropped it there ended up being a big 6 inch scrape along the glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Pretty much, 36" Wega weighted 235lbs, 40" wega weighed 300lbs. A 50" would probably be 500+

Mitsubishi were a little lighter for the 40 inch at ~240 pounds apparently. The carrying handles help though (not my picture).

Slightly more on topic, I don't think I had an actual CRT monitor that didn't have a nasty habit of ghosting within a couple years. Those 19 inch models never lasted long.