Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
This GPU situation is making me double-guess my every decision.

First I thought I'd get a 280X because it's reasonably priced and locally 50 eurobux less than a regular hd7970. Then came 290X which was much better performing and not THAT expensive. Then news about how the cooler sucks. And the Nvidia price drop.

Currently I've cancelled my order for a reference-cooler 290X and awaiting for an improved design one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Grim Up North posted:

Wait a week, the R9 290 might very well be worth the wait.

To be fair that's only another new factor in to this developing storm of "Which card to get?". Luckily I still have my trusty hd6850.
Current plans are to wait a few weeks until some manufacturers come up with their proprietary coolers and local shops get them on their shelves.

Sormus fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 30, 2013

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
GPU Megathread - Live vicariously through someone else's purchases

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
*nvm*

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
They probably do have very limited supply of those cards to give out to reviewers and wanted to make sure they would only land on the more friendly review sites.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
So, my GTX780 seems to have bit the dust and I need a replacement card. I am currently using a backup HD6850 I had still tucked away just for these kinds of situations.

What would be the most sane replacement?

970 and wait for Kepler?
Spaceheateresque 300W AMD card?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
might be important note: I will be warrantying the card so i'll get some sort of store credit towards replacement. I just have no idea what they will consider "equal", so I dont know what kind of credit I'm looking at.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Do note that they can and will offer AMD cards as equivalent. However, I am hoping they offer a 970 so i can pay the price-difference for a 980.
Would mean I'd get a 980 for 200€

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Sormus posted:

So, my GTX780 seems to have bit the dust and I need a replacement card. I am currently using a backup HD6850 I had still tucked away just for these kinds of situations.

What would be the most sane replacement?

970 and wait for Kepler?
Spaceheateresque 300W AMD card?

Sormus posted:

might be important note: I will be warrantying the card so i'll get some sort of store credit towards replacement. I just have no idea what they will consider "equal", so I dont know what kind of credit I'm looking at.

Sormus posted:

Do note that they can and will offer AMD cards as equivalent. However, I am hoping they offer a 970 so i can pay the price-difference for a 980.
Would mean I'd get a 980 for 200€
Ending this incase anyone was left hanging:
I had exactly the same issues with the card as Goon Matchmaker had. Short gaming always led to a crash. Gpu fans at 100% and "No Signal" on display, sometimes just giving a BSOD or DirectX "Driver Removed" error.
Returned card to shop I purchased it from and they re-verified it was a hardware issue.
Shop replaced card with MSI GTX 970.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

There was some Overclocking utility i forget the name of (Ati tray tools? Omega Drivers?) that could be used to softmod your 9800 to pro. You just enabled disabled pipes in it and it either worked (rarely) or artifacted like a mofo (most common).

Similar story with Geforce 6800LE to 6800GS

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

My best advice there is to wait for the GTX 1160 and RX 580.

But then GTX 1200 and RX 600s are just around the corner then so waiting for them would be smart

Obviously when they get released theres going to be the 1300 and 700 series JUST behind the corner then. Rinse, repeat.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
You used a screwdriver to force the holding bracket in, which was way too stiff for that. I can see someone slipping and gouging the gently caress out of their board.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
AMD, The leading name in Early Access hardware & drivers.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Except Intel, their integrated accelerators don't support fucks.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

SlayVus posted:

Nvidia is getting with TV manufacturer's to build Big Format Gaming Displays (BFGD). ASUS, Acer, and HP have all announced 4k, 120Hz, G-Sync, Nvidia Shield built in, gaming TVs at a whopping 65 inches.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-news/media-kits/2018/omen-x-65-big-format-gaming-display.html
https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-monitors/rog-swift-pg65-big-format-gaming-display-bfgd-120hz-gsync-65-inch-4k-with-hdr/
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/press/2018/325145

There is no WAY a single one of this is under $3000.

So what you are saying that there is going to be actually ONE model of 65-inch gaming TVpanel available that will be sold by HP, Asus ROG or Acer depending on how much you want to pay for QC?

Sormus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 8, 2018

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Oh boy, 100 new replies in GPU thread.

Nevermind.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Zero VGS posted:

Has NVidia ever rebadged anything? As in same process, same architecture, new model number?

Edit: like with a whole fleet of cards not some one-off laptop chip

I remembered there having been some drama over 8800 cards so I did some googling and came across this:

• GTX 680 --> GTX 770
  • GTX 670 --> GTX 760 Ti OEM
  • GTX 660 OEM --> GTX 760 OEM
  • GTX 555 OEM --> GTX 560 SE OEM --> GT 645 OEM
  • GT 545 OEM --> GT 640 OEM (GF106)
  • GT 530 OEM --> GT 630
  • GT 520 --> GT 610 --> GT 620 OEM
  • GT 440 --> GT 630
  • GT 240 OEM --> GT 340 OEM (GT215)
  • GeForce 315 OEM --> GeForce 505 OEM
  • 8800 GTS (G92) --> 9800 GTX --> die shrink/clock mod.-->9800 GTX+ --> GTS 150 OEM and GTS 250
  • 8800 GT --> 9800 GT -->die shrink--> GT 240
  • 8800 GS --> 9600 GSO --> mod --> GT 130
  • 7900 GX2 --> 7950 GX2

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Fair point, but the question there was has Nvidia done any rebranding.
The 8800 -> 9x00 thing was kinda of a big deal when it happened.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Gainward still has the most huffsfarts model name they've used since like Geforce 2 days: THE GOLDEN SAMPLE.

The Gainward CARDEXpert GeForce2 MX400 Golden Sample

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
To be fair to Paul, its not like EU is founded on the principle of "free flow of goods, capital, services and labor" between EU member states

Oh nevermind it actually is.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Saukkis posted:

When the store's annual sales to specific country exceed some amount, which is different for every country, then it becomes the seller's responsibility to pay the VAT.

Which is what made Mindfactory decide that spending money to make sure they always pay the different vat to different country after different limit will cost more than its worth. Its not that they refuse to sell to other euros, its because it doesnt make financial sense.

Also i would like to remind Paul that in US theres "will ship to lower 48, Hawaii and Alaska get hosed"

Exactly the same, but for different reason

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

celewign posted:

Well, I've installed my craigslist 1070. It was 300$. I fired up a couple games and saw decent improvements from my radeon 7950. Stuff that was at low is now at high etc. Card seems pretty good. my idle temps are 48deg C which seems high for this card, so I think i need to blow it out.

All in all, not a bad craigslist transaction. Kinda bittersweet to buy a 2 year old card for 300$ but its working and its better than ol' faithful radeon.

I kinda miss my radeon though... that was a good card.

Some time ago when I was looking into "How-to Nvidia boost" I was told the following. Please correct me if I am wrong:

Install Afterburner,
Max Temp & Power limit (they're very conservative)
Make a custom fan profile that keeps load temp. below 64'C (Limit where boost begins dialing back)

For example (you may want to move the dots some degrees to left depending on your case configuration and ambient):

Sormus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 31, 2018

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Did someone already make this joke?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Okay I'm dumb and all but how is Nvlink different from SLI?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Let me rephrase.
"Is Nvlink going to fix everything wrong with SLI or is it going to have the same or possibly more problems in regards of compatibility and developer adoption in gaming?"

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
I've never seen Steve as excited as he is in that video. Hes literally glowing with joy just ripping into the article.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Quite likely related to the whole "Reviewers still dont have drivers, whoops" fuckup.

I still have my orded pending at local retailer, but its more of an insurance against supply problems, incase the reviews are great, than anything else.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

craig588 posted:

.. when you see people paying for measly 100 mbit it feels like something is wrong.

Ftfy

(100/100 is included in the maintenance fee of my apartment)

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Shared without comment or claims of legitimacy:

https://i.imgur.com/zWvHzua.jpg

http://reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/9fx5jx/nvidia_performance_per_dollar_compared_rtx_vs_gtx/

Sormus fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 16, 2018

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
I like to read r/amd mainly for comedy purposes.
Today I saw one of the good threads

http://reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9w1bce/if_amd_made_a_gtx_titan_equivalent_would_it_be/

The best comment I thought was Framethrower.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
I, too, am so much better than those other people that do things I would not do.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Spaseman posted:

Why are there two different options? Is there ever a time when you wouldn't want windowed mode active?

There are some apps that become a buggy frozen mess with VRR, a gamebro told me that his productivity tool for UI poo poo gets like 2fps with it.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Rinkles posted:

what's it called? missed it

6900XT

Eagerly awaiting the AIB 6900XT 420 Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

DrDork posted:

With a ton of apparent caveats. The "best API" and other bits make it sound like they're not really doing a legit 1:1 comparison. Previous reports had them performing notably better in DX11 rather than DX12, so if these are "Radeon on DX11 vs NVidia on DX12" then it's not nearly as impressive.

Also drivers.

Unlike on the CPU side, AMD really still needs to prove they know wtf they're going with GPUs, so shooting for near-parity pricing on a near-parity at best card is basically trading on the hope that NVidia continues to have production issues. Because otherwise you'd be kinda silly to not spend that extra $50 from what we've been shown so far.

BFV was tested on DX11 for ex.