Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Scarecow posted:

Yeah im going to slam down on a 3090 FE the moment i can, it will be getting a water block on it so zero hosed about AIBs and anyone who thinks amd will have anything close to competing with the 3070 and up is dreaming

More leaks today basically confirming all the previous spec leaks. AMD has no chance here unless Nvidia gets too greedy on their pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

So can we assume anything about power reqs for the 3070/80 based on the 3090 (unless I missed it the last two pages)?

3080 rumor is 350w peak.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Nothing would make me happier than my EVGA GPU failing near the end of it's warranty. This is the difference between EVGA and every other third party brand.

I’m surprised there isn’t some group dedicated to shorting EVGA cards right near the end of their warranties.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Still no prices on that :sigh:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Taima posted:

The prospects of a 16gb 3070 are not good. I mean it's possible in an assumed 2021 refresh, maybe, kinda.

Yeah they tend to save the higher VRAM options for the refresh.

It’d be weird if they released a 3070 with more VRAM than the base 3080 they’re pushing (10GB as per rumors). It might cannibalize sales of 3080.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

movax posted:

I'm still a U3011 / more for screen quality + resolution + area person so at least I don't need to chase the >60 Hz dream — how many of you guys want the >120 Hz stuff on a computer display vs. hooking up to like an LG OLED or something for VRR action?

120Hz+ feels so different, especially from a shooter perspective. Once you've felt it it feels real weird going back. My monitor sometimes bugs out and switches to 60 and it's instantly noticeable and I need to fix it immediately.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lockback posted:

Counter, while I can tell the difference when something goes from 144 to 60, if I start playing a game at 60 I won't really tell.

I dunno, people can have whatever target they want but it does annoy me when people say something is unplayable because it's only 85 FPS or something.

I'm so used to it at this point, I can even tell based on the movement of the cursor in Windows.

It's not like something is unplayable at 60 or 85 or whatever, but there's enough of an effect that it requires at least a bit of time to adjust.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

If I’m getting a 3080, do I actually need to upgrade my PSU?

550w seasonic at 3 years old.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/kinglyuser/saved/#view=pW3RvK

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Any prices for EVGA anywhere yet?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

Cutting it a bit close, even on a Ryzen build (which that isn't). I think the true rec wattages will probably end up 3070 = 550w, 3080 = 650w, and 3090 = 700w

Thanks.

Makes me sad I’ll also have to drop $100+ on a new PSU.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Is there size details yet for the 3080 FE? Trying to figure out if it’ll fit in my case.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

repiv posted:

It's 2 slots, standard height, 285mm long

Pretty standard aside from the flow-through cooler

Hell yeah that’s nice sizing. Somehow it’s like the same size as my 1060. Now I know for sure it’ll fit my case if I don’t case upgrade.

I think I’m going FE if I can get one. It really seems like they focused hard on the cooling.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Makes you wonder why they didn’t keep the Titan branding for the 3090 if they’re calling the 3080 the flagship. Odd positioning.

I have a feeling titan will come later.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Zarin posted:

LOL

I'm not sure I believe you that you're actually using it . . . I'm also not sure that I don't believe you, either :thunk:

I will say that reading the thread here, I'm, uh, shall we say . . . slightly more price-sensitive than you 'n Shrike :v:

You mean you don’t also have $3500 of disposable income to through at a GPU for probably 20% gains over the $700 one?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok dumb comparison but how does the best perf/$ compare between nvidia 3000 and 2000? Not talking about total perf but just perf/$? Let’s throw in used prices for 2000 series before the announcement why not.

No one knows. Reviews are embargoed and Nvidia is light on details.

The consensus seems to be that the 3080 perf/$ is gonna be the best if the promise that it’s got 20% on the 2080 TI is real.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DrDork posted:

Sweet. I forgot I get a 10% discount on poo poo actually sold direct from Amazon. I'd prefer EVGA, but whatever, I can always cancel it if one pops up.

Not sure why it'd get cancelled--it's not like it's a price mistake or anything, and Amazon is big enough to be able to stare down NVidia about "no pre-orders".

How you get a 10% on direct sales?

Preordered the more expensive one because I assume it’s better?

I think I want an FE, but I don’t wanna wait 6 months for a card either. What’s the difference between these two MSI cards?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I was here for this and grabbed the more expensive one because gently caress it, it’ll probably have a higher base clock and cooler. For $30 I’ll take that.

It’s 323mm. My case max is 315mm. 8 loving mm :emo:

The best worst part is if I woulda snagged the cheaper one it would have fit.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

the_enduser posted:

time to pull out the dremel lol

I’m dumb enough to 100% do this.

But it’s a fractal define 7 in storage mode. Purchased to house a shitload of drives. And I’m not willing to lose three drive bays to the card when I want a FE anyway.

I mean I’m whining about something that’s probably gonna get canceled, but it’s amazon so crazier things have happened.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

repiv posted:

If you're putting an AIO on the 3080 then clearance should be no problem, the FE PCB is tiny

Has Nvidia even talked about adding an AIO to the FE? Based on how that thing looks I could see it being an absolute nightmare to remove. Or even it be a structural piece that is required to keep the pcb stable.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I wouldn't trust B&H with that poo poo.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yeah canceling B&H, or getting them to do anything customer service related, is a nightmare. I once had a board that was bad I brought back 3 days later and they tried to get me to RMA it.

It’s especially a nightmare if you can’t physically go (which I can, and it’s still awful, just less so).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sorry to make everyone feel bad, but who woulda thought the company that refused to charge tax until NY State sued them, then made some crazy rear end scheme involving “instant cash back” to keep avoiding charging tax would be fun to deal with

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

This still hasn’t been canceled and we’re getting close.

I’m tempted to let this ship if it happens and get a FE if I can then sell this one to fund the FE.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

yeah there’s no way this doesn’t turn into a clusterfuck. “No camping out” but they’re not going to call the cops on someone standing in line at 6:59 right? So there is some unknown point where it stops being “camping” and starts being showing up early to line up. Is that 5 am? 4 am?

And if you give a specific time (or just say “doors open at 7:00, no lining up before that” then you will have Black Friday mobs rushing the door at 6:59 and getting into fistfights.

Microcenter is in the wrong here, this is a terrible time to enforce your in-store only policy on a major release. If you really absolutely must get people in store so you can sell them a Bawls and a power strip then at least let people order online and pick up in store.

The Vouchers are likely what they think is a way around this. Start handing out vouchers when line starts forming and tell people to gently caress off until open. Won't work but that's their plan.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There are four people currently camping outside the Central Computers near me. They say it's only six days until "G-Day." The "G" stands for "Graphics Cards". They've got a Pontiac Aztek with the camping module and a stove and they're grilling those pre-cooked Aidelle's sausages and talking about the "good old days". I heard somebody mention a 3DFX Voodoo 3, talk about AGP, that Geforce 256 box with the screaming Bar Mitzvah kid on it--the usual old salt poo poo. Somebody called the cops on them for loitering but the store manager insists it wasn't them; the cop asked them some questions and then when somebody asked one of the cops if he was going to make them move, he said that he wouldn't because they were just doing what they had to to survive "A-Day". Sounds like the "A" stood for "Ampere."

It's incredibly depressing that those people exist and I may one day have to meet one.

They could even be posting in this thread.

gently caress.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Does anyone have a list of expected online retailers for 3080 FEs?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

greasyhands posted:

Its 24fps and the hobbit movies tried to do 48fps and it was pretty much universally hated

Rinkles posted:

Why is that?

Film is archaic as gently caress. Like outside of changes to developing chemicals and lens and poo poo, film (not shot digitally) is still done the same way it was nearly 100 years ago.

In fact, the cameras used for The Hateful Eight were the same cameras used on Ben-Hur (1954).

Even digital cameras attempt to just straight copy the style of actual film, even though they can do totally higher spec stuff like 48fps. Its been around so long, and the industry is so used to its quirks and specifics, that changing that stuff changes the entire dynamic of how a movie is made.

Liken it to making silent films vs audio films.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

ha, looked into it further and found that my motherboard isn't new enough to handle the 3000 models either, all its connections are pci 3.0

so much for that, then

The cards support PCI-e 4.0, but work fine on PCI-e 3.0. Current expectations are that you’re probably looking at MAYBE a 5% drop in performance from 4.0 to 3.0, if there’s any at all.

Also the 3080 FE is 285mm. Depending on your 1080Ti it might actually fit without issue.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

it's a be quiet! 800 silent base, this guy right here

i really, really like this case

e: oh hey i checked a youtube video and it looks like they are removable, this warrants further study

You sure about the size of your GPU?

Their documentation sucks or is difficult to find, but according to pretty much every site I looked GPU clearance WITH the drive cage installed is 290mm (400mm with it out)

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/1930-be-quiet-silent-base-800-review

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

90s Solo Cup posted:

All I want to know is if it's worthwhile to jump from a 1070Ti to a 3070. Paying north of $600 for any vidya card is something I still don't feel comfortable with, which takes the 3080 right out of contention for me.

At least get a UPS just so you won't get turbofucked out of your work when your area suffers a massive power outage for the second time in a week due to a substation screwup.

3070=2080ti basically.

So yes.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bigsteve posted:

Benchmark seems impressive but dlss on makes it less so in terms of brute strength.

Does brute strength matter as much when we’re considering a hardware exclusive enhancement?

Work smarter not harder

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

If I were to get an FE, I'd probably set up some spare fan at the bottom of the case blowing some modicum of air into the general direction of these two passive bits of heatsink. So long it ain't a Noctua, it should be near invisible.

That’s my plan, but with a Noctua and all in on brown and cream :getin:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DrDork posted:

Yeah, especially given that Amazon didn't put anything up as a deliberate pre-order, but rather it seems that two cards were erroneously marked as live for all of 15 or 20 minutes and then shut down, I would be surprised if they got pushed by NVidia hard enough to do anything about it. No one wants to piss off Amazon, after all, and the prices looked legitimate, so playing the "whoops price mistake" line is unlikely.

There will likely be EVGA cards available at launch. Just most likely the XC3 version instead of the FTW3 version. How much custom PCBs are gonna help performance would sure be a nice think to know, but we won't find out until launch time, which is stupid.

Mine from Amazon is still not canceled, but shows "Delivery Date Pending." I want an FE so we'll see, but canceling on or before the day seems pretty unlikely.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Taima posted:

Hoooly balls Amazon FR not only just confirmed everyones preorders but they're also pre-shipping it for arrival on Thursday.

Oh drat. I may actually get that MSI card then.

Anyone want a Gaming Trio 3080 for $1000?:agesilaus:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

11 FAN BLADES

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rip my MSI Amazon order

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

My goodness the real f5 time hasn't started yet and everything is already dying.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

kloa posted:

I hope everyone itt gets a card :angel:

No one in this thread is getting a card unless they have a bot army.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

For fucks sake. Never even saw a button on best buy or nvidia and it's already gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

This is loving stupid.