Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Got a MSI 970 today because I felt like not being 4 years behind on the hardware curve for once. Having a ball with it and played around a bit with the clocks.

There is a problem where the clock occasionally locks itself to 540MHz and I can't seem to bring it up except for with a restart. Is this a common problem?
I never did any overclocking on my old card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

I had that happen when I pushed the card too far. Have you increased the voltage at all to see if it fixes it?

No I haven't tried to fiddle with the Voltage. Will keep the clock at +100 instead of +160 for a while to see if it keeps coming back.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Anyone been having or heard of heat issues with the MSI 970? Just played a bit of Thief and in a cutscene the temp suddenly shot up to 92-93 degrees and the fans started working overtime. The clock throttled down to 500 MHz after a few seconds but it seems very hot anyway. Didn't have this issue before. Did a fresh driver reinstall (save for registry cleanup) and the issue persists. Before the cutscene it was at around 80 degrees which is okay I guess but it should throttle before that with my current profile (75).

This image is about 5 mins after I closed the game.

Edit: This is with factory settings, no OC.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Yeah it's the Gaming OC but listen to this: It really wasn't cooling at all and the fans were VERY quiet. So I opened the case and had a look. They weren't spinning at all despite the monitor saying 80%+. I poked them a little and they started up and it looks normal on the monitor now, but still loving :lol:

Found this thread on the issue: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.50 but will call the store tomorrow and see what they have to say about it.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Deuce posted:

Wait, so you have to peel off the sticker to use the card and in doing so can damage the card?

Yeah some admin posted in the thread: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.150

Weird fuckup that they didn't check all that poo poo for a stupid sticker, but hopefully it's not faulty hardware.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Is anyone else having their 970 "sag" a bit on the right side of the card? It's pretty heavy and I think the PSU cables are pushing it down a little bit. Has anyone had something horrible happen because of this?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Tossing this out here before I make a Haus of TS thread: Anyone had problems with nvlddmkm event ID 14 grinding the machine to a halt? Recently RMA'd my 970 and been running on my old 660 since, and this poo poo pops up semi-randomly (as in, everytime I play, but not after the same amount of time), making the entire PC stutter including mouse, keyboard and sound.

I've tried two different 660's now and it happened on both so it's probably not the hardware.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 11, 2015

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Maybe. Thanks for the link. I also suspect it might be a sound driver failure or conflict. Reinstalled the geforce drivers and skipped all the fluff and just went with the graphic and physx drivers as well as removed the realktek junk. It's hella annoying to try to reproduce the issue though.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Hamburger Test posted:

I kept mine. I've created a fan profile that makes sure it never goes below 30% since the problem only ever occurred when trying to spin up to a low RPM state from idle, and 30% is still below audible to me. In the 6 months or so that has passed it has happened exactly once since I set that profile, and I think that was after I updated Afterburner which caused it not to run after a reboot, thus not applying the custom fan profile.

MSI have refused to reveal what the cause or the fix is.

I did that too and it kinda worked. The problem was having to crawl on the floor and check if the fans started everytime I booted the machine just to be sure. I finally RMA'd mine this weekend.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Anyone else having nvlddmkm driver crashes with the witcher 3 geforce drivers? Really weird.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 20, 2015

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Dream Attack posted:

I was wondering if anyone else has had crashing trouble after installing the latest 352.86 Nvidia drivers. I installed them and started experiencing crashes when opening Windows Photo Viewer and Firefox, so I tried rolling back to the previous 350.12 drivers. That didn't seem to help so I did a few rounds of uninstalling, removing old drivers with DDU in safe mode and reinstalling - no luck, I've rolled back to 347.88 but I'm still getting crashes.

I guess my options at this point are to keep rolling back to find a stable driver or do a clean Windows install?

Computer crashes or driver crashes? My updated driver kept crashing until I turned off hardware acc in chrome (still not sure it's resolved, but no issues for a few days now) as someone suggested earlier in the thread. What does it say in the log?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Very tempted to snag a 980ti, but I got burned for buying a 970 when it was just released so I think I'll hold onto my bux for a while, maybe get one after summer.
Hardware sure is cheap in America too, my local store is having a sale on cards right now and the MSI 970 goes for $440. I wonder at which points it gets cheaper to import stuff.
http://www.inet.se/kampanj/2215/msi-nvidia-week (in swedish)

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
The shipping is pretty cheap when buying from Amazon UK, checking it briefly it seems to be about 10% off, but there's the added hassle if you need to RMA it and stuff.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

It looks nice on shaggy bears and wolves, but for humans not so much.

If you have time to look at the bear's fur when fighting it you need to turn up the difficulty. :colbert:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Friend offered to trade a 980ti for my old electric bike lol. I am seriously considering it since i'm not using it anymore. Can I run it off a 650W PSU in an average gaming rig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I'm having an odd issue with my 1070 where after booting the screen will flicker. It lasts for less than half a second every 10 seconds or so and is only on one of my two monitors. If I go into screen settings and change the resolution to something else and then change it back to 1920x1080 it goes away. Anyone heard of this?

It's a Asus Strix 1070 (non-OC version), the monitor is a 144Hz 27" one connected with DVI-D. Everything at factory settings.
The other monitor is just some 27" 60Hz HDMI thing.