Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So the last time I actually 'upgraded' a component in my desktop was like... 6 or 7 years ago I think. I got a new EVGA SC 560 (vanilla 560 I assume) to replace my 9600GT, and I was just wondering, do the standard procedures still apply?

(Uninstall NVIDIA drivers, use DriverCleaner or whatever is fancy these days, turn off/replace card, turn on and install drivers)

Mainly I'm just wondering about the second step with the 3rd party driver cleaner software, but is that overall about right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Install new card, update the drivers. Really, that's all that should be necessary if you're coming from the same manufacturer.

Going from Gigabyte to EVGA.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

Cross-postin' from the build thread:

ASUS Strix 960 1, 2, 3.

EVGA 960

MSI 960

It's a useful new part, delivering what was expected - deliver something kind of like 770 performance (although you can cherry pick a test where it's under a 760) with a low power use.
We still have a giant gap between the 960 and the 970, that in my opinion, NVIDIA should have done more to close with the 960.

There's so many manufacturers and no user reviews yet! Who should I pick?

e: I thought this was the PC pickers thread.