Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Palladium posted:

I owned cards of many brands but my MSI 5770 Hawk is the only card that really pissed me off with the awful quality control. For all their talk of military class hardware(tm) the fan bracket rusted like hell after mere 1 year of use that I have to shave off the second hand selling price quite a bit.

This may be more of a fault with the Nvidia reference design but I bought an MSI 570. It lasted a couple of months (I never touched the factory settings though apparently it was factory overclocked). I RMA'd it and that one lasted maybe 5 or 6 months. I RMA'd it again and gave the card they sent me to a former coworker along with a heads up about the potential issues. Last I heard he had to RMA it after a few months himself.

Oh and after the first RMA the card they sent me didn't run right out of the box. I asked their tech support forums and they told me I needed to up the voltage and even made me a custom bios to make the higher voltage the card default. That worked for 5 months or so before the card died again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Kramjacks posted:

So apparently MSI was overvolting their GTX 660 Ti and 670 Power Edition cards, which gave them performance gains but also caused some systems to fail to post or get black screens after a change in load.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvolting-PowerEdition,18013.html

Ugh that combined with my experience with something similar on my 570 has convinced me never to buy MSI cards (3+ RMA replacements running my card at stock voltage/settings in the course of a year).

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Athenry posted:

Is there any brand that hasn't had some issue like this? ASUS?

From what I've read I guess the MSI problem I had on my cards was actually happening on all 570's that used the NVidia reference design. Probably much worse in my case because the card was OC'ed from the factory. Still, poor thought by MSI to release a factory overclocked card that was virtually guaranteed to fail. I eventually just bought an ASUS 570 and have had zero problems since.

I'm kinda surprised that there was never a recall or something on those cards though. As far as I know they stopped selling them and some manufacturers started releasing newer edition cards with more VRM's or something that solved the problem but those first gen ones were just awful. Just look at the average reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127552

Edit: Also as for the MSI support. My first card started getting artifacts and crashing in games after a month or two, I RMA'ed it and the replacement had artifacts/crashing right out of the gate. Their support teams told me to overvolt it and even gave me a custom bios set to the higher voltage so I wouldn't have to run software to do so. That actually worked for several months before it started crashing again. The third one I didn't even try, I just gave it away to a co-worker who has since informed me that it too developed the same problem. Not sure if he bothered with the RMA process.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 1, 2012

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Animal posted:

I dont think not getting a POST has much to do with the screen. More likely is which video card is set as primary in the BIOS.

The cheap Korean IPS's doing do image scaling, so if the video card isn't doing the scaling to native resolution then the monitor won't show anything. My nvidia 570 does do scaling but as the poster above said, not all cards do. Perhaps it's a problem with the 670 not scaling?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Lord Dekks posted:

Does anyone else miss the days when cpus and video card families had new names each major revision?

I find I have to look up performance charts now to figure out upgrades. AMD seem especially bad for this, a 8550 or whatever will be a lower powered 7750 but out peformed by a 7950 etc.

I know, I know, I'm old but found TNT>TNT2>Radeon was much easy for me.

It was even worse when nvidia went from their 4 digit to 3 digit numbering scheme and now AMD is up to where nvidia was a few years ago (8800, 9800, etc). Just for extra confusion if you've been out of the video card market for a while.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Anecdotes I guess but I had not bad service customer with MSI. The only problem was that their card design was flawed (Nvidia 570 reference design) so even after 3 RMA's a card would never last for more than a few months without artifacting and degenerating into BSOD's. Also the first time I RMA'd with MSI I got a brand new card in original box, the second time it came in a generic box so I don't know if it was refurbed or what. Third RMA wasn't by me (I gave the card away) so I don't know what they got in replacement but I do know it didn't last either.

I haven't had to deal with Asus's support yet because their design actually worked out of the box.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Betanews does or used to have a thing where you could register with them and pick what products you want to be notified of releases for (nvidia drivers are one of them) and they email you when there's new releases. They notify of betas too though and I'm not sure if there's a way to filter for just release versions or not.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Enhanced game audio would be really sweet if it was anything like the vortex 3d audio cards way back when. I was so pissed off when creative bought them and pretty much killed the tech in favor of their own super lovely aureal canned audio effects thing. And of course the vortex cards stopped being supported and never got working Windows 2000 drivers.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
At NCIX they are selling Nvidia cards that come with Batman: Arkham Origins. That's not an out of date game is it?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

MiniSune posted:

I am in the same boat. Most of the time I have purchased the game anyway on steam (or like service). I tend to purchase my cards unbundled with any games as a result.

If you're wiley you can sell the game codes to counter the cost of the card a little bit. When I bought my 570 it came with Metro 2033 and a couple of other games with steam codes so I was able to ditch them online. Probably could have gotten $10-20 per game if I hadn't given them away here.

vvv - I would say that free games wouldn't make me choose a card model over another one but it might make me choose between manufacturers. If they are offering the same card for around the same price, why not get the one with the games.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 10, 2013

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I assume it's just added expense for something not many people would use.

My S3 ViRGE S2000 had 2MB of ram expandable to 4MB(!!) if I remember correctly.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
On deleting nvidia driver folders... I don't know if this is still the case but around a year or so ago I was no longer able to update my physx driver with new nvidia driver installs. It turned out the physx driver requires the old version to be uninstalled first before updating and it can only be uninstalled by using the matching version of the installer located in the same place it was originally installed from. Since I had cleared out my driver folder at some point it could no longer find the installer files and the uninstall would fail. Then I had to spend a ton of time figuring out the exact physx version I had and then find out which archived nvidia driver version contained that version of physx so I could extract it to run the uninstaller.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Ozz81 posted:

I just uninstall PhysX and other components before removing the video driver package entirely. PhysX and audio drivers usually don't require a reboot and removing the folder for them without a clean uninstall ends up being a pain (finding/deleting hidden folders and files, registry keys, etc).

It used to be and maybe still is that to uninstall physx you need to have the installer exe for the specific version of physx you have installed and it has to be located in the same folder that it was originally installed from. A new version of physx won't install until you uninstall the old one so if you run into the uninstall error while installing the nvidia driver as a whole the driver itself will install but on the installation results screen it will show physx as having failed. The only way to get around it was to do as I detailed above. Hopefully that is fixed now though.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

A lonnnng time ago bordered windowed games ran like total rear end so ever since then I never cared to. I even ran eve full screen (fortunately, alt tabbing is nearly instantaneous on modern hardware with the right games so it was never a burden)

I'm probably wrong on this but it seems like the performance got s lot better when windows switched to use desktop 3d acceleration. Something about the card not having to context switch between doing 2d and 3d for each monitor maybe? Or just the general improvements made to windows and dx over time.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
MSI ate my dog and kicked my lunch. Cannot in good faith recommend any of their products

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Subjunctive posted:

Actually the lunch thing was me, I've been meaning to say something.

Still friends?

How could you

On a serious note I have only ever had problems with MSI products in the past. Though admittedly the bad motherboard was during the bad caps disaster of the early '00's and the series of bad video cards (3 in a row) was during the nvidia bad voltage controller fiasco so their products are probably OK generally I guess?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Grog posted:

It sounds like it depends on the region you live in and the specific service person you get whether you'll have a good RMA experience with pretty much every manufacturer except EVGA. After reading multiple accounts of terrible customer service from ASUS and Gigabyte, it's hard to trust most AIB partners for post-purchase support. At the very least, horror stories are nowhere near exclusive to MSI. Aside from the universally loved EVGA, MSI seems to be one of the few decent companies to buy hardware from in Canada, which is the one of the few reasons I chose to buy that MSI 1060. If they had a terrible rep here like the other companies, I would have just bought another EVGA and dealt with possibly having to ship internationally for any RMAs.

Also, not really relevant, but why would you buy from TigerDirect? They haven't been reputable in more than a decade.

I had weird contact with msi's support in Canada (Vancouver). When my card was dying they first had me go into their support forums and get a custom BIOS made by some unofficial guy there that did something with the voltages. Only when that didn't help did they let me RMA. Fortunately their RMA depot is in Richmond so it's quick. They did give me a brand new card though.

Then several months later when that card started failing i had to go though the same forums song and dance with a custom BIOS before returning it. That time I got a card in a white OEM style box.

When that one started to fail I just didn't bother and bought an Asus.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I had a Matrox Mystique. It was interesting because it was nearly as fast as a 3dfx card but had basically zero features. No coloured lighting, no transparency, etc. In Jedi Knight multiplayer if someone used force blind on you it just turned every other pixel on your display white instead of actually blinding you and slowly letting your vision fade back in.

I also had an S3 virge card which was neat but also commonly known as a 3d-deccelerator since games would actually run better in software most of the time, though wouldn't look as fancy.

Sadly the Diamond cards mostly had relatively boring box art with spaceships or airplanes on the front

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I managed to get my order in for a 3080 today, thanks to a Canadian stock monitoring twitch stream of all things.

edit: in case it helps someone else - https://www.twitch.tv/war10ck3d

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Less Fat Luke posted:

Thanks, do they put the link in the chat or something when it goes off? I ordered from Mike's on launch day basically and they have seen zero cards of what I went for (the RTX 3080 FTW3).

There's a command you can do in chat to make it post the links of anything in stock. I found it hard to read when a big drop happens since everyone is spamming. So I just kept another browser tab open with a search that returned the cards I was interested already set up and when the drop happened I just flipped to the store tab, refreshed and added to cart from there. Also be sure to have you credit card info saved on the site, be ready to enter your password, and reenter your CC number, and enter the confirmation number they text you if that triggers. That's what worked for me anyway.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I'm almost glad my 3080 isn't here yet so I'll have a smoother cyberpunk experience once I get to actually play it.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Some Goon posted:

He was a mod of the Star Citizen subforum when that was a thing, and before he got perma'd for doxxing.

I'm going to go ahead and assume he's mad now because he sunk his entire fortune into preordering 3000 battle cruisers in Star Citizen

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

remusclaw posted:

Alright thanks everybody. I will consider all the options presented here. I have an excess of time to do this and a decided lack of any actual 3070 to do it with, so no hurry.

Tom's Hardware did some benchmarks of the 3080 with different CPU's across resolutions

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ampere-cpu-scaling-benchmarks

Their conclusion was certainly at 1080p you'd be CPU bound and at 4k it seems the difference is minimal

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

EdEddnEddy posted:

The eVGA FTW3 cards (at least the 3090, not sure if all of them do) have a tiny toggle switch to be able to switch between the fan off idle and a lower audio fan curve but does allow it to get into the mid 70C range. Then the OC toggle has the fans on all the time with a slightly more aggressive fan curve but doesn't appear to do anything else as far as OC that I have found, not like it needs it.

Also instead of afterburner, you can use eVGA Precision or their new OCX software to try and control fans and fan curves. Not sure if it will work better than Afterburner, but worth a shot.

I noticed my TUF 3080 had a similar switch when I was plugging it in:
https://assets.rockpapershotgun.com/images/2020/09/Asus-TUF-RTX-3080-OC-switch.jpg

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Zarin posted:

What if I'm doing it for science? Specifically, folding@home :v:

I don't know how good/viable/profitable this is but I remember coming across "Curecoin" a few years ago which claims to pay you in their cryptocurrency for doing folding@home work I think?
https://curecoin.net/

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

WonkyBob posted:

Looks the driver really is massive (extracted from the EXE).

https://imgur.com/AeQqpui

Sort of interestingly the two biggest files within the driver are both related to the Optix raytracing engine. libnvoptix.so.1 and nvoptix.dl_. Together they make up ~35% of the driver size. Nearly 350MB. https://developer.nvidia.com/optix

I guess that at least partially explains the relatively recent leap in driver size since that's new for the 3000 series, isn't it?

Amusingly they also package the Geforce Experience into the driver itself. Despite most people installing the driver from within GFE I would think. That's another 250MB.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 16, 2021

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
bring back 3dfx-style stand-alone video cards for 3d.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Termyie posted:

I am wondering why the prices haven't dropped at all in Canada. 3080s are still going for $750 USD ($1000 CAD) at most retailers. Are they waiting for price corrections or something? It doesn't make a lot of sense that Canada is paying double for the same stock.

I'd love to know this as well. Less retailers here to compete on prices?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Kerbtree posted:

I once saw someone manually compressing files with pkzip on a drivespace compressed dos volume, with compressed ram, being run by a 386SX/16.
Glorious(ly slow)

When I took my first computer class I thought I could save space on my floppy disk by changing the font size of my documents to the smallest size before saving.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Nvidia just released RTX Remix Runtime 0.3: https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/rtx-remix/releases/tag/remix-0.3.0

Big changes include DLSS 3.0 support (but still no 3.5), various performance optimizations, and improved support for shader model 2.0+ games. The slick editor they showed off a year ago is still nowhere in sight, though. I really have to wonder when that's coming. This is already taking much longer to roll out than I expected.

So many of these tools and apps that Nvidia pushes out seem to be purely for marketing purposes and go basically unsupported after their initial release. At least that's what it looks like to me with my experience with Nvidia broadcast or whatever it's called. The mic/video tool that does face tracking and noise cancellation. I tried it out again recently to see if it had improved and the zoom/tracking just randomly stops working quite often, leaving it either no longer tracking your face or just being stuck, zoomed in on one corner. The mic I didn't try much but a look at their support forum shows an endless stream of people complaining about issues like bursts of static with basically zero evidence of any support at all from the dev team. The whole thing seems about as stable as I would expect from a sales demo, where it's good enough to show off for a few minutes but actual usage is out of the question. They throw out these tech demos that catch headlines and make for good YouTuber video fodder which I'm sure sells more cards but beyond that who cares.

I feel like they they are still in the mindset of those old tech demos they would put out to show how well they could render hair or whatever and who cares about long term support for stuff like that. But with these newer projects I'm not sure if that's wise, they are using this machine learning tech or whatever to do noise cancellation but I'm not sure how much of that is proprietary. If their expectation is that a third party dev is going to add noise cancellation to their own software that leverages Nvidia hardware I don't know how feasible that is vs implementing new generation graphics features. Same with this rtx runtime, are they hoping someone else is going to step in and make something similar or is this the realm of their proprietary drivers and stuff that can't be done from outside Nvidia themselves?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Even back in the late 90's the first 3d accelerator I ever bought, the s3 virGe or whatever it was called actually had a little socket on it that allowed you to install another ram module. You could double the ram from 2mb to 4mb!

Ahh the heady days of hardware manufacturers not knowing wtf.

Also there was the ol' matrox mystique that was almost as fast as a 3dfx card but they only managed that by barely supporting any features. Coloured lighting? Hell no! transparency? Nope. Antialiasing? Why would anybody ever need that?
At least in Jedi Knight it gave you an advantage in PvP. When someone used force blindness on you, instead of turning your whole screen white then slowly fading back to normal, it just made every second pixel solid white for a while so you could see just fine.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Cyrano4747 posted:

What kills me is that they have an unused digit right there. Just call it the 4060, 4061, 4062, 4063, etc.

Marketing would probably hate that because it makes it harder to slip models in between later if you've already got a 4060 and 4061

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

mobby_6kl posted:

You can still use decimals to have an infinitely granular product stack

Dewey Decimal System for video cards

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’m seriously wondering if we’re going to see a return to the pizza-box style case orientation that ATX was designed for.

I had an old XT computer with a case that sat sideways. It had a nice metal button on either side that you pushed in then could swing open the top of the case like the hood of a car. That ruled so much and I wish you could still get cases like that

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Little PSA I guess:

Earlier this year I upgraded my aging computer to an AMD motherboard which happened to have on board video, that didn't get used in favour of the preexisting 4070 in the system. Ever since the upgrade Steam itself as well as Baldur's Gate 3 were both extremely slow to launch. Sometimes just sitting there for 30+ seconds doing nothing before starting up. I found a steam discussion thread of people with similar AMD systems having the same problem, some saying they fixed it by disabling the onboard video in device manager, though that didn't work for me. I finally just thought to install the AMD video drivers this morning and lo and behold - problem solved. How strange. I see people toward the end of the thread were also reporting the January AMD driver release fixing the issue for them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Subjunctive posted:

yeah I was hitting this, though disabling the iGPU in device manager definitely fixed it for me. the January drivers improved it a lot, but there’s definitely still a sub-second lag on starting the steam.exe process that isn’t there for other things I run. and I remain very curious about what the hell is actually going on behind the scenes

Also bizarrely starting BG3 with the --skip-launcher command line option in steam didn't work before installing the AMD drivers. The game would try to launch then just exit with no errors. After installing the drivers now it works with no problem