Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I've got an R9 280x that recently, after about 3 months of use starting doing crazy artifacts in Windows. I thought maybe it was a recent driver update, so I rolled back, forward, back, forward. Still had issues. I assumed it was a shot GPU that needs to be RMAd, but when I uninstall the drivers completely and let it use whatever Windows uses for a generic display adapter it works fine. I'm running it like that now just so I can browse the web and use the PC.

I reinstalled Win8.1 fresh last week, thinking that might resolve the issue. Nope. Once an AMD driver is installed it artifacts like crazy.

Bad GPU? Bad vBios on the GPU? I'm just confused by the fact that it works fine without any drivers installed. Same HDMI port, cable, etc. It's nice to use the computer but I'd really enjoy being able to play games again.

vty fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

sauer kraut posted:

Try clocking it down a bit. Those poor things are 7970's that were stepped on for the GHz edition, then again to make a 280X, and a final time by MSI/Sapphire etc.
Many of them are pushed beyond safe levels out of the box :smith:

Evidently there's a super, super common issue with the .41 bios on these cards, everyone either scales back or up. Unfortunately I couldn't get the other bioses to install, even from the command line via atiwinflash.. so.. well, back to my 6850 for now. I got this card from that guy on ebay who sells old Bitcoin horse cards, so I'm only out $200 or so I suppose.

I'm reading that Sapphires RMA process is pretty much bullshit, so I probably won't even waste my time with it.

vty fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 31, 2015

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Ragingsheep posted:

That pretty much explains everything.

Eh, I bumped my chance of requiring an RMA by about 6% by not buying a new card. Considering most of the (TONS) of people bitching about having to RMA their R9-280x's purchased new, and this guy has extremely positive reviews all over SA and reddit years down the line. I've had to RMA nearly every single GPU I've bought over the last 5-10 years, anyway.

These things are like buying Xbox 360s. It's not if, it's when.

My problem was buying Sapphire. I thought GPU companies still all had good RMA processes. Evidently it's gone back to having to deal with tech support for 3 weeks. I'll just buy an upgrade.

vty fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 31, 2015

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Having to RMA every single GPU seems like extraordinary bad luck on your side. GPU's aren't that unreliable that you should have to expect to RMA every one you own.

In the 14 or so years I've been a PC gamer I've had to RMA 1 card, a Powercolor 9800 Pro. I forget if it shipped to me DoA or if it died soon after. The only other GPU I've had that has failed on me was a Radeon HD 4670 where the cheap fan on it literally snapped in half due to dust buildup.

I've had a GF 2 MX 200 PCI, Radeon 9500 Pro, Radeon X800 Pro, Radeon HD 5770, Radeon HD 6950 and GTX 770 all live until their next scheduled upgrade.

I upgrade my GPU every 3-5 years and I honestly can't think of one other than this 6850 I'm now using that I haven't had to RMA. What's ironic about is it that I specifically buy high end power supplies and ram, motherboards, etc and things of that nature just SO I hopefully would keep parts around longer. I've been running a Seasonic X-series gold the last few years. So, good power as far as I remember. I'm really considering leaving the ATI/AMD camp after this last computer build. It's wonderful, x6 Phenom OC'd to 4ghz, watercooled, super silent, lots of RAID-10 SSDs, 24GB ram.. but man it's been a bit of a pain. Of course, it's lasted me awhile now.

I'm also one of those guys who has RMA'd Xbox 360s at least 6 times, I think closer to 10. The last one that died was stolen out of my back seat and I just said gently caress it and gave up on them. My Nexus tablet died. My last Nexus phone died. My Chromecast shits itself all the time and I have to reset it (blaming plex).

Now, on the flip side, I can't think of any of my harddrives ever dying and I have a LOT of harddrives.

My appendix failed on me a few months ago too. I'm just a poisoned chalice.

I've never had a card fail THIS bad though. It's crazy. If I enable the driver in Windows the entire screen just becomes artifacts.

vty fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 1, 2015