Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

I'm interested in getting a GTX 690 because I have no self control, and I want to give my brother one of my 570s since he's stuck on a GTS 250. Are ASUS or EVGA going to come out with anything other than reference cards? I'm considering buying one, but I want to make sure that a slightly better version isn't on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

How quiet is the ASUS 670? Would two of them be quieter than a single 690? I really wouldn't want to deal with aftermarket GPU coolers after my last experience. I usually go EVGA, but they all same to have the same loud single fan setup.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Asus's DCII 670 is quieter under load than a 690 is at idle. Also, I can't help but ask why you're considering that much oomph.

Thanks for the reply. I'm feeling like upgrading because when I was playing GW2 during the one day stress test my FPS would dip below 60 at times, on medium. But I looked into it a little more and apparently people are playing it on high using pretty old hardware. I'm not really sure if it was just me, or maybe the game is more CPU-bound anyway. I don't really know at this point, I just like getting shiny new things.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

I didn't know people were getting better performance on lesser cards, I just found that out. I thought it was just a very demanding game. The rest of my computer is up to date enough so it must have been something stupid. Thanks.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

I recently bought a GTX 690 and now have two 570s laying around doing nothing. I'd like to throw one into my computer as a physx card just for the hell of it but I'm not sure if my PSU will explode. I have a Corsair HX850 which according to reviews can actually provide up to 1000w. It was running the two 570s perfectly (which drain more power than a single 690) but I'm afraid this might be pushing it over the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

Jago posted:

You could compare the stated wattage on the old stuff you had with the new. Also there are many power supply calculators on the internet.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=power+supply+calculator&l=1

I tried a few of them and some of them said I would need more power than I have just to run the setup I was having before. Oh well, I only have a P67 motherboard so if I installed a physX card I'd have to switch to 8x pcie. Not worth it I guess.

Porkchop Express posted:

Since you have two, if you are looking to sell one I might be interested! (I assume its something similar to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593 )

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I'd get anything near what I paid for them since I also added some Accelero Xtreme Plus coolers to them. Also I've never sold anything online because I'm really lazy and hate mailing things.