Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
F vg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Last night I drove one hour out to the farmlands of Enumclaw, WA to pick up two GTX 970s /w Batman for $480. My glorious haul was stopped in its tracks by the traffic of a Steely Dan concert. loving Steely Dan.

My motherboard cant even support two cards. Probably gonna flip one on Ebay and end up with one really cheap 970.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah I doubt I could price match considering there are no Micro Centers in WA.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Should I trade my EVGA gtx 970 for a PNY gtx 980 + $75. My card is clocked higher because of the factory oc.

Worth it?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
If it helps I bought my EVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0 (model 2977) for $180 on Craigslist. The PNY is a reference radial blower model. This would be a 980 for $250 basically.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

I'm looking to pick up a 970 from a local shop and they have a couple of instant rebates that line up the cost for several different manufacturers. Which one would you guys recommend?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/sear...0&cPath=43_1200

I don't really know anything about anything anymore but I think I like the looks of

-Asus Strix GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 (STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5)
-EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 Superclocked - ACX Cooler 2.0 (04G-P4-2974-KR)

I have the evga 2977 (same as 2974) running right now at +125 clock and +600 memory cant even get the temps past 63*c on heaven.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I am debating right now whether to just sell my $300 Asus Strix GTX 980 that I got last summer and get back almost all of my money before the price drops.

Getting the RX 480 for $200 for the same performance sounds like a win.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 1, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

That sounds like a steal, and even if the 480 doesn't live up to expectations, that's not much to get to a 1070.

But as the great Toby Jones once said, "I'm kinda drunk right now."

Well theres still 10 days til the 1070 drops. I might as well sell it considering I have a backlog of games on other systems.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Put up the Asus GTX 980 on Ebay. Lets live with integrated graphics for awhile.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
poo poo I forgot about Ebays crazy rear end fees. I think I undersold my Strix GTX 980. $310 + shipping. I was in a rush this morning and probably should have set the buy it price higher.

So I lost about $50 but at least I got an entire year of use. gently caress Ebay taking $30 in fees.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Don't forget the paypal fees! :shobon:

Ive already been charged the Paypal fee.

People in my area are too tech saavy to pay more than $300 on CL as well.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I want to buy that EVGA 1070 but I dont want that drat Razer mouse as part of the Newegg combo. Is there anyway I can contact CS and cancel the mouse or do I have to return the mouse?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
How much will the Gigabyte G1 1070 be when it drops on Newegg in 20 minutes?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Has that gigabyte already sold out I swear it went out of stock before 9.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Got a Gigabyte G1 1070 woohoo. Was about to give up but decided to refresh one more time.

Edit: Its still in stock guys hurry!

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 17, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Good sign for everyone looking for 1070s from now on I guess.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

thats not candy posted:

Was also able to grab a gigabyte just now :420:. Finally will be able to use my ultrawide properly

Same here just ordered the 34um95. What are you using?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

thats not candy posted:

:whatup: The dell u3415w. Bought it for ~800 last summer and have been driving it with a 970, so this is a much needed upgrade.

I almost bought a refurb u3415w for ~570 a few days ago but it went out of stock after sitting in my cart for awhile. Got a pretty deal on 34um95 though. 980 to 1070.

I really want to see a review for this card soon.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Am I an rear end in a top hat for scalping my Gigabyte 1070 G1 and waiting until the RX 480 comes out and I can see benches? The prices are still pretty high on Ebay.

Dont be mad.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah its totally my fault for posting it last night and the auction price is already past $429.99. Silly impatient people.

Only thing that would suck is if the card happens to be a silicon lottery winner.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Peanut3141 posted:

Isn't $430 the list price? I wouldn't call that scalping yet, maybe flipping.

Theres still 4 days left. This thing will might reach my buy it now price of $700.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Its not like I have sat around and pressing f5. This card was announced for sale on Twitter last week at 9 am.

Gigabyte keep tweeting. You can direct tweet me too.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Gigabyte owners get to enjoy their earbuds too!

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I thought about buying a few of these MSI ones but its a hassle to make a few bucks. Also I feel like the prices on Ebay are going to drop next week or so as these are getting easier and easier to buy.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Would I be able to step up an EVGA 980 TI SC+ that I bought used locally? The seller bought it from Amazon on 04/20/2016. It will work as long as I have the invoice right?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

fordan posted:

You can't; original owner only for Step Up.

I mean the original owner literally lives with 0.5 mile of me lol. I think I could get away with pretending I am the original owner. Just say you moved or something.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

You need a copy of the invoice from an authorized seller, and you need to have registered the warranty on the card within 14 days of original purchase. I don't think you're going to be able to pull this off.

According to the FAQ if you miss the 14 day period. You can purchase an extended warranty within 90 days. I will ask the guy today for the Amazon invoice and permission to register under his name to match the invoice.

And then 980 TI > 1080 sell! Capitalism, ho! But it might take awhile since EVGA does not have cards ready.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

twxabfn posted:

Speaking of selling GPUs, will I have a snowball's chance in hell of unloading my 2GB 960 SSC after the 4x0s are out, or should I just throw it back in the box for posterity?

Why not just sell it now? Are you buying a 4x0?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

twxabfn posted:

Either a 480 or a 1070, depending on benchmarks, but I don't want to rush into anything and pay early adopter/supply constraint fees. Wasn't really planning on upgrading until August and don't have another GPU to toss into the system...but then again, I still have a 360 and a bunch of Games With Gold I never ended up playing (because I got my PC, ha).

What's the recommended marketplace around here?

SA Mart or Craigslist. Dont do Ebay. I am not sure what the prices are for a used 960. But even with the early adopter fee considered you would get more for your card right now. A 1070 or 480 might drop by $30 in August.

edit: I sold my 980 before June 10th and the price cuts. If you think about selling just do it before new cards arrive.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 23, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Did I make the right choice to get a 1070 + Dell U3415w or should I have went with LG 34UC88 + 8GB 480?

Pretty awesome that either combo is around $800 for me.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I have a Seasonic 550w G Series and its the best psu I have ever used. The X Series is even better. Only negative is that Seasonic costs a little more and EVGA uses the same parts on some of their psus.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Isn't gsync and fast sync supposed to complement each other. Where gsync is great for any range at or below the refresh rate of your monitor and fast sync is good if you play a twitchy shooter with unlocked frames and the fps is going way higher than the refresh rate of your monitor?

Probably should discuss this in the other thread haha.

In other news I have shown great discipline in not opening my Gigabyte G1 1070 and selling it on Ebay. I just wish I made more than $50. But that just means I will be spending $50 less on a 1070. Awesome!

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Skuto posted:

This is an oft repeated myth. Frame capping still adds input lag (as compared to rendering more frames when the card is capable of it).

If that is the case. What would create more input lag: frame capping vs fast sync?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I am really hoping EVGA puts out some 1070s tomorrow. Any tweets or heads up that I should be aware of? I already have nowinstock up and ready for it. If the gigabyte was not on backorder rn I would probably get that instead but I just really like the EVGA design the most. :slick:

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Finally got myself a g1 1070. Works well with my new Chase card $150 bonus offer.

Question: What is the default overclock that pretty much every G1 1070 can get to? I am pretty lazy when it comes to benching and dont care much for figuring out how far my card can go. A set and forget power target, target temp, core and memory clock would be nice.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I have a Dell U3415W that I got for $500 and I made $45 flipping my first g1.

But gently caress why did the EVGA have to go for sale right now. Should I call and cancel my Gigabyte order. Its already getting packaged :(

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Sitting here anxiously waiting for my 1070 to arrive. The thoughts of playing Warhammer in ultrawide is like holding my dick and being forced to wait.

Sad.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

bigmandan posted:

I'm wondering if I should go for a 1070 or a 1080. I have a 60hz 3440x1440 screen. I'm mostly concerned with getting 60fps minimum at medium or better settings. I'm thinking the 1070 might be enough for the next year or so, but not sure after that. Thoughts?

What are you playing? You can always get a 1070 for now and sell it before the 1080 Ti releases or whatever amd comes out with.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

bigmandan posted:

Stuff I usually play is Overwatch, D3, Fallout 4, Doom, Stellaris and maybe WoW again in the future. I don't mind dropping down to 16:9 1440p if I have to, as the main reason I got the ultrawide is for work stuff (it's really handy having 3-4 code editors side by side and still get 120 columns or more!)

1070 can max those games out. Anything new coming out you probably cant run ultra. Whether you care to save $200 or have the privilege of running ultra is on you.

I really am interested in seeing people do productive work on an ultrawide its usually gaming oriented videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

mikul posted:

So I'm playing Doom 4 on a Radeon HD 7750 with i7 3770 3.4ghz and 32 GB of RAM. I have all the graphics settings at min and am playing at the lowest resolution. Is the graphics card holding me back, or is it the processor. What would get me the best bang for buck without getting a new system?

GPU definitely. What resolution do you want to play at?