Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Pimpmust posted:

GDDR6 is where it will be at :getin:

Ram is weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgvzVgfoSc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

the panacea posted:

I'm building a PC for a friend. For 1080 gaming is it worth it to get a 770 if he has the spare change? Or should he rather get a 760 and save for the next gen?

760 should be good for now but yeah I'd wait to see the 800 series.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

I was skimming through the NVIDIA Drivers Release 343 PDF and found a fairly fundamental change that seems to have been glossed over.

Seems like the five outputs on the 900 might be able to be used all at once? Its under surround so as gaming monitors as well even.

Time to test that 5 34 inch monitor setup.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

spasticColon posted:

Well when is Nvidia going to refresh their cards again? I might just hobble along with my 660Ti until then instead.

2016, but even with my 550ti I don't feel like upgrading.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

beejay posted:

Wow you're a giant baby. You already got an answer so why do you keep coming back to bitch? Also this thread isn't even for parts picking which is the first line in the OP.

What are you playing that you are still doing fine on that card? I dumped my 550ti a long time ago and regretted it even new.

Arma 3, skyrim, war thunder, payday 2. The biggest bottleneck in my system was cpu/ram.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

Hairworks tanks performance on pre-900 Nvidia cards almost as bad as on AMD cards.
Honestly I was shocked that it works on Radeons at all. They need to shut up and make completely new chips that don't suck at tessellation/other modern stuff.

But look at their new 300 series! oh.. oh wait..

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Heads up: AMD is considering spinning off it's GPU division into an independent company. You guys have any bets on what it would be called?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-advanced-micro-devices-mulling-002146037.html

If its anything other then ATI I will be upset.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

DrDork posted:

A somewhat downclocked Nano might be able to make its way into a 27" iMac so long as the noise from the fan isn't too bad. Still seems like kinda a long-shot, though.

Honestly I don't really think the Nano was designed with the intention of providing a high-power SFF card--the market for that is just too small. I think it was more a logical consequence of the move to HBM and simply no longer having any need for a 10" PCB. I mean, remember that the Nano chips are very likely the cherry picked ones, with the crappier ones ending up in the Fury/Fury X cards. Considering the assumed production issues already, how could they possibly hope to make volumes high enough to satisfy Apple?

Don't imacs run into thermal throttling because of the lack of proper airflow?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Alereon posted:

If you can wait for Pascal, definitely do. I think it will be one of the larger inter-generational performance gains in recent years, because it's the first die shrink in some time. I think this is really the best advice for anyone who likes cost-effective upgrades.

we are going from 28nm to what 16 or 14?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

mcbexx posted:

Looks like a new Star Citizen pledge level will be introduced shortly...

How many million do you think it will be?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Prescription Combs posted:

Watched through the series and the huge loop cooled the PCs extremely well, better than the 2x120mm closed loop rads, but didn't help the room temp at all.

He got a bad fungus out of the whole ordeal though.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

mmkay posted:

I think I'd be wary of any claims until reviewers get hands on the cards. The last time the Furies were released, the X version was beating the 980Ti soundly in every game according to AMD, which it turned out to not be the case in actual real life.

The furies were beating 980s then nvidia decided to drop the 980ti and poo poo all over amd.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

I think right now Pascal is the biggest quantum uncertainty singularity in the computer enthusiast world. No one really knows how much of an improvement it's going to be over Maxwell and in what respects.

its the first gpu die decrease in what 5-6 years, so who knows what the gently caress that will do.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Some not terrible deals here, they had a 970 for 230 not too long ago.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%204809&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=30

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Michael Jackson posted:

as a 290x veteran and freesync survivor i can say with certainty that i am happy with having this setup in 2016.

i am happy.

Talk to me about freesync, is it good?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Gonkish posted:

I'm not entirely sure. It's an LG 29UM67P. All I've managed to garner in my googling is that you need to use DP for FreeSync to do its thing? I guess?

EDIT: After further googling, the range is 48-75fps.

Could go bigger for cheaper

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000D-003Z3R

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000D-003Z3

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Gonkish posted:

I grabbed this monitor at the beginning of the month for $270 (newegg had a flash sale of sorts), but poo poo those are still good deals if anyone else is looking.

Meanwhile, I guess I'm waiting on the new AMD lineup to get pushed out so I can take advantage of FreeSync.

What do you think of 34 1080p ultrawide?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Gonkish posted:

Well mine is the 29" model (still 2560x1080), but it's beautiful. IPS is, of course, amazingly beautiful, the response time (5ms) is low enough that I haven't noticed ghosting, etc. The biggest difference is the FOV in games, which is one of those things you don't think about until you see it. Most of the games I've come across handle it without any shenanigans, though some will require you to dick around with .ini files and such (FO4 does this). All in all, it's really loving pretty and I love it.

Those 34's are still 2560x1080 its the um97 that are the cool 1440p.

wargames fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 22, 2016

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

ItBurns posted:

I think it will be free and nvidia will move to serving in-game ads as a source of revenue.

Dlc gpus is the next big thing.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

DrDork posted:

If the 1080 is <10% faster than the 980Ti, $700 would be a dead-in-the-water price point unless availability was really low. By today's prices, that'd be a 25% premium for minimal performance gain today, and vague promises of better performance "in the future" with VR and DX12.

I'd think a $600-$650 target would be a better plan, especially if they're expecting AMD to be competitive this time around.

Intel has made 3-5% gains the new normal.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Do AMD/NVidia even have a dog in the fight between the two?

AMD likes vulkan, nvidia doesn't care.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's a hobby and they have money. Why do people spend so much time carving wood? Or playing chess? Or reloading ammo?

Because reloading ammo saves money.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Node posted:

I read briefly about the Vulkan announcement and saw id's presentation where they uncapped Doom's FPS, and it was ~200 with Vulkan (and a 1080 card). I tried looking at the internet to know more about Vulkan, but I couldn't find anything about how you enable it for supported games. Does it just work if your card supports it, not work if it doesn't? I know that very few games support it currently but I could not find an answer to "how to enable Vulkan" or similar search queries.

Or is Vulkan a gimmick?

Vulkan is like directx12 but opensource really its basically opengl 2.0. But if you can run directx12 you can probably run vulkan.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Seamonster posted:

That sounds like an awesome mainstream laptop GPU assuming the TDP is under control.

As someone witha a 380x i can say its pretty nice, not 100% up to snuff for a 1080p ultrawide witcher but most other things it works just well.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

21:9 is 100% the way to go. I have 34" 1080p ultra wide the ppi is low but not terrible, however the ultrawide nature is the best thing ever.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

This is the 1080, i will upgrade to a 1440 one day.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

I love my 21:9 monitor, but it's 2560x1080.

I can't imagine going to 34", that would be simply ridiculous in size and not fit very well on my desk, methinks.

I forgot that Ultrawides usually cost as much as the next "jump" up in 16:9 monitor resolutions :negative:

the 34um67 i got was on sale for 300 so just keep an eye out.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

axeil posted:

So are they just cutting the X90 line entirely?

The x90 will come later they were able to produce their mid-tier card before their big card, and the mid tier card might be pretty ok.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Lungboy posted:

~£170 for the new AMD card to max out everything on my U2412M sounds like a good plan to me, coming from a gtx560. Even my wife couldn't complain about that, right?

So I had an old 550ti and went to a 380x, and the improvement was awesome. if this card is in the 200 range, i'd say pull the trigger.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

You wouldn't you're fine, the rest of us coming fro old 750's and 560's are going to.

Furnaceface posted:

Why does the 2GB 960 perform better than the 4GB one?

Also that really drives home that being poor means I will be scraping along with bottom of the barrel graphics until the heatsink death of the universe. :saddowns:

The 480 is for us poors while the 1070 are for people with good jobs.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

DonkeyHotay posted:

I recently bought a 4k monitor with free sync. My 970 is definitely getting a little long in the tooth and I was wondering what the best way to get to 4k on AMD's current lineup, seeing as they don't seem to have any high end updates coming down the line until next year. It looks like you might get a used r9 fury on eBay for 350ish, what's the state of crossfire these days if I wanted to run two?

wait till vega do this and see what is being offered.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

tgijsola posted:

I randomly refreshed the page saw it was on sale and got one. I am the luckiest man alive AMA.

Time to re-sell that on ebay for extra money.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Guni posted:

- Wait for 480 to be released, buy an 8GB version for approximately $400
- Buy Freesync monitor as above

Except the 480 8gb is going to be around 240?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

afkmacro posted:

When I can actually buy a 1070 AIB at a reasonable price? my 280x is dying. :(

480 seems like a good card for its price.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

PBCrunch posted:

The AMD driver support problem gets a whole lot worse if the AMD's financials continue to deteriorate.

But modern AMD drivers's aren't terrible.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

repiv posted:

these leaks are getting out of hand

Still more card then newegg had of the 1080 in the past 2 weeks.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Seamonster posted:

I don't know if a stock RX480 will be able to drive 1440 @ 144 fps constantly though - even with AMD optimizations and the theoretical edge in DX12. I'd say hold off on RX480 reviews to see how well it overclocks if you're set on that path.

You must also look at the freesync range if its 38-144 then who cares if it can't hit 144hz at 1440p.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

So this is a thing?

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-shipments-hit-us-stores/

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

They'll drop a new Titan before Ti.

Do they have enough cores for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

tijag posted:

I'm thinking then I should just get a 1080p monitor unless I'm willing to spend big money on gsync and at least a 1070?

Well the 480 will preform better then a 290 or a regular 980.