Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

And we're off!

Interesting to see if this triggers a flood of news releases from NVIDIA to hedge against being seen as behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Without looking it up:

Pentium 166 integrated graphics
Some kind of 3DFX card from one of the now long-dead companies
Nvidia FX 5600, a poo poo-tastic mid-range card that I gleefully replaced with an
ATI 9800 Pro
Some ridiculously hot and lound NVIDIA Laptop card
Intel mobile HD graphics (the original)
Nvidia 710m
Current: Intel HD 530, keeping me humming along on low settings till I get the Ti edition of whatever Nvidia's flagship card is.

PS. yeah I've going to be doing some serious tea-leaf reading over the Pascal release to see if there'll even be a Ti edition. I'm finally in a position to be able to buy the best (barring the ridiculous vanity top-shelf cards) and I'm happy to wait for the best to be available.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So I know this is very much tea-leaf reading at this point, but assuming Nvidia pips AMD to the post is it going to be worth holding off until the AMD release in order to see a bit of price competition, or is it going to be the case that the initial prices are very much the prices they will always be?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

As Carmak says:

"Worth remembering that AMD has often had stronger hardware than Nvidia, but Nvidia's software and ecosystem has been a critical edge."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Theris posted:

Word. I've got a windowless Define R5 with 5 case fans, a dual fan tower cpu cooler, and a Fury Nitro and it's barely audible running full tilt. Turning on the ceiling fan or putting on (open back!) headphones blots it out completely. I consider it one of the best computer purchases I've ever made.

Got a Define R5 last month and I did a double take when I walked behind it because I could only really hear the fan going when I was directly in line of sight of it. I had to walk forward and backward a couple of times to work out that was actually what I was hearing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the other hand, by putting up firesales retailers are placing a pretty obvious bet on how attractive the current generation will be when the 1080 is released.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm really just looking for one that comes with the quietest cooler. I've realised that a quibbling over an OC of 5-10 hz means nothing in real terms.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

repiv posted:

Welp, Ashes still switches off its async stuff if it detects you're using an Nvidia card. That makes those leaked benchmarks kind of useless.

https://twitter.com/dankbaker/status/729827652224180225

Uh, he straight up said you can turn it back on. Presumably that's what the benchmarkers did.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mazz posted:

So if the 1080 reference card has some marketing magic done to raise the price $100, and with nothing else being available for awhile until the BPs get to it for aftermarket, does that mean the original sub $400 price is kinda just quietly going away? Or will we see it when they get around to the BP poo poo-tier blower cards?

Having been keeping up every page and getting a little confused.

Not seen any hard dates, but all indications that the BPs are only going to be a week or two behind the reference release. You'll get your chance at a RRP card.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ugh it's going to be like my bad old teenage days of having to choose between DirectX and OpenGL on launch except instead of having no earthly idea which one I should pick I'm going to have to trawl through dozens of websites claiming one or the other is the superior option for GAME X.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rookoo posted:

Wait, so are the blowers on the founders editions going to be shite or good on the noise/cooling front? I'm using a mini-itx Corsair 250d and was gonna get a 1070 for 1440p. It's possible a regular ol' fan design will fit and be better, but people seem to have been reccomending blowers for this form factor.

And is this stuff about power relevant for the 1070?

All of the reviews are saying it's on the surprisingly quiet side of things.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

xthetenth posted:

I was expecting the company's customers to react poorly and pay less. I get pretty disappointed when people just shrug it off and say "that's just what a company does" and forget that in that model what a customer does is stop paying and/or communicates that the product is not a good deal. Also, don't forget that this is in theory a commoditized market. People are theoretically turning money into frames per second. NV's trying to introduce apple style luxury pricing like the semi-monopoly you noted they are, and that's not popular.

At the end of the day though, if customers don't get to complain at a market going monopolistic, loving pack up capitalism because we're not cut out for it.

Uh, customers only stop paying if they have somewhere else to go. It's not Nvidia's fault they're currently the only game in town. You still have the option of waiting for Polaris, you still have the option of going to an Nvidia partner.

But if you want Nvidia reference and you want it first then you have to stump up the cash for wanting those things.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've been coasting on the i5-6600k IGP on the new system I built in March while waiting for Pascal to drop and at 1080p I can run most 2-3 year old things at low settings fairly comfortably.

Obviously it varies - War Thunder is a smooth 60 fps with view distance turned up, XCOM 2 is an apalling slideshow, I can't even load Arkham Knight or Fallout 4.

Long story short it's not the end of the world as a stopgap.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Is it the case that all the partners thus far are running stock frequencies or is that just placeholder info?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FaustianQ posted:

Flounder's Edition cards are reference designs sold by Nvidia, I think that's basically it. Think of it as a higher price point but guaranteed supply, while standard reference and custom sold through AIB will use the lower price point but may have issues with supply for the forseeable future.

Reference design for the 1080 is inadequate enough for the 1080 to merit waiting for custom cards, there might be a solid 20% more performance difference which is hilarious. Maybe a large majority of 1080 die, even when fully intact, have serious enough voltage and power problems that it was better to limit the chip on the reference design? That the difference between what GP104 is fully capable of in ideal conditions results in first gen GP104 committing suicide via overclock?

What's the history on embargoing details on non-reference cards? Is it eyebrow raising that we aren't allowed to see what the partners have cooked up until the first wave of reference orders go through?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

More effort on the slide header as well.

e: \/\/\/ yeah, it's lazy marketing but given the X-axis clearly isn't supposed to be more than generally indicative it seems likely it's a fair comparative of the two cards.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 24, 2016

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean they get their sweet first-month markup money.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

kuroiXiru posted:

Yeah, me too. It's £650 /w express delivery, which is about what I expected to spend.

Out of curiosity, how did you even select express delivery? I just had the free shipping option (not that I'm complaining).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I can order a 1080 without seeing how the 1070 copes due to reasons like the Doom video posted earlier.

On an mildly OC'd 1080, you get 60+ fps on Doom fully maxed out at 4k. But there isn't a ton of headroom. 60+ fps really translates to 60-75 fps (I saw one blip in the video where it momentarily dropped down to 54 fps.)

So, a 1080 (OC'd a tiny bit), hits the minimum magical FPS level on a brand new AAA title maxed out at 4k. That means that the 1070, no matter how great the value is, won't.

Since I have a 4k display and also plan on using it for VR where more FPS is always really better, I can be very confident that the 1070 (while likely murdering 1080p and 1440p gaming) isn't going to hit my needs.

It's this. This is the sensible logic.

If you have a 4k monitor then a 1080 is good, but it certainly isn't overkill. Assuming the 1070 isn't somehow better than the 1080 I've already decided that the performance I want means buying the top end card.

If you aren't going to be gaming in 4k my money would absolutely be on the 1070 being the best price option.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DrDork posted:

As far as I'm aware none of the AIB's have set actual dates for when their custom PCB cards will be hitting the streets. The assumption is "soon" (as in a couple of weeks), but which one hits when right now is unknown. Same with even the FE's: with the first batch sold out, when the next wave is going to appear has yet to be mentioned.

Overclockers.co.uk have Friday 3rd as their date.

e: \\/\/ would you say 'I have a 4k screen' is a fair answer to the question?

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 28, 2016

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you don't live off a single cup of rice a day then you are spending too much on food and not enough on video cards

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

I see people trading up to the more expensive EVGA 1080 FE instead of the cheaper and better EVGA 1080 SC ACX 3.0 because "it was the more expensive one" and I'm like :eng99:

(£578 ($845) for SC ACX 3.0 vs £635 ($928) for the FE)

Go back in time 48 hours and this thread is all 'well obviously the AiB boards will be more expensive than the FE boards, the RRP is a lie nobody will pay more for a worse card'.

Never underestimate good marketing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29572770&postcount=107 posted:

Asus GeForce GTX 1080 DirectCU III Strix Gaming Aura RGB 8192MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £659.99 inc VAT

STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING, Core Clock: 1784MHz, Boost Clock: 1936MHz, Memory: 8192MB 10000MHz GDDR5X, Stream Processors: 2560, SLI Ready, VR Ready, PhysX/CUDA Enabled, 3 Years Warranty.

Only £659.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Sorry All, Asus made a oopsie with the pricing of the Strix 1080 so the sell price has had to increase.

Those of you who have already preordered will have the original price honoured.

Feeling a bit better at pre-ordering my obscene luxury boondongle now. Constructive £30 discount!

e: \/\/\/ EVEN BETTER!

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 2, 2016

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

macnbc posted:

Are the yield issues just on the Pascal end or with GDDRX supplies too? I thought I heard that GDDR5X memory supplies were constrained and that was also a factor with 1080 availability. Since the 1070 uses regular GDDR5 it wouldn't be impacted as much.

The hint from the Overclockers forum was that GDDR5X was the supply bottleneck. Also that there's enough pre-orders to cover anticipated shipments possibly all the way to August.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

It's still too early, I have only seen reviews of a couple custom cards so far. You'll probably have to wait a couple more weeks at least before we will have some idea of what the best card to buy is.

http://videocardz.com/60496/custom-geforce-gtx-1080-roundup

That gives you the basic stats. On the other hand, frequency gaps that small mean that performance wise they're much of a muchness, what's really going to matter is how the custom cooling solution performs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

We do have pictures of the Strix cooler's underside:

The upper one is the Inno3D iChill 3X and the lower one is the Strix, it looks fine, not all the heat pipes make contact but that is because there are too many to make contact with the area the chip covers.

My understanding is that the reason for the extra ones is 'they spread heat off the pipes that are in contact, so they do actually have a reason to exist as opposed to being a marketing lie'.

Is that right?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ijyt posted:

Depends on the game, not sure what was going on in GTA for example, but for me it's more about the noise and temps.

Yeah I'm willing to pay for cool and quiet. Also still happy I got my before-they-raised-the-price £40 discount.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Custom 1080 board shipments got pushed back again to the 17th, looks like someone really messed up.

e: it's one thing to have really limited supply, but to have nothing week after week implies *issues*.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

Back with the 980 Ti MSI Gaming 6G, Gigabyte G1, MSI Lightning, Zotac Amp Extreme etc they only got a few fps over reference at 4K so it's not surprising the new MSI Gaming 8G only gets 1 fps over FE at 4K. Seems to be some bottleneck at those ultra high resolutions that simply increasing the core / mem frequency doesn't help with.

It's not just high resolutions, it's high resolutions with everything turned to 11. It's entirely possible the spread is a bit wider once you start dropping AA a bit to hunt for the magic 60 fps mark or whatever you want.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Riflen posted:

There's no such thing as common knowledge where un-released GPUs are concerned. No-one knows and you'll only get rumours until Nvidia is ready to announce something. It's a rumour that GP102 will use GDDR5X. To me that makes sense when you look at the probable performance of the GPU. 700+ GB/s is just not needed on a PCI-E GPU of that capability and HBM is very expensive.

Does anyone have a link to a quick primer on video card RAM is for and how it's used? Specifically I'm struggling to contextualise 'how far does GB/s make a difference? When is this a bottleneck compared to processing power?'

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Riflen posted:

The VRAM holds all the data the GPU needs to work on. All the data sets from the game will either be loaded straight into VRAM, or streamed from storage, through system RAM over PCI-E to the GPU VRAM as it's needed. This happens according to the game's algorithms that determine when assets are required to be loaded.

In almost all situations when playing games, today's GPUs are shader limited. HBM is forward-looking technology that we will need soon. Look at R9 Fury X with HBM. 500+ GB/s bandwidth but still frequently beaten by GPUs with standard GDDR5 and half the memory bandwidth. Memory bandwidth becomes more important the higher the rendering resolution and the more bandwidth-intensive settings are used, such as MSAA. But today's GPUs run out of steam before it's typically a problem.
Modern GPU designs also are using clever data compression algorithms to make it possible to send the same amount of data, but use less bandwidth doing so. This is an example of a finished frame, the frame with colour compressed on Nvidia Maxwell GPUs and then with colour compressed on the new Pascal GPUs.

These improvements are happening alongside continued improvements to GDDR5 bandwidth, (as with GDDR5X) so we have been increasing effective bandwidth as we go. Problem is that GDDR5 only scales so far with regards to power usage and will soon begin to consume an alarming amount of power as speed is increased. This is why we need new tech like HBM, which offers massive bandwidth and lower power usage.

Thanks!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ijyt posted:

Pfft, OcUK has had over 1,000 orders for the Strix 1080. They received stock to fulfil 2% of those orders.

I was number 64. Right now I'm just focusing on how I have a super busy schedule for work next week so I wouldn't have time anyway.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

http://www.techpowerup.com/223450/asus-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-turbo

One wonders if the yield issues with the Strix has resulted in a panic 'not reference but not overclocked in any way' product.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

The best performance is pretty much luck of the chip draw - all the videos and reviews I've seen indicate extra cooling, power, etc. don't make a noticeable difference. Jayz had a FE that held a better clock (by a little bit) than the more expensive MSI Gaming X.

Yeah. At retail clocks they're much of a muchness, and overclocking ability is luck of the draw on whether you were lucky with the silicon.

In any case, the variation including overclocks seems to be 1-2fps at 4k so there are no trap options.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Verizian posted:

Christ, all the 1080's and 1070's I was interested in just jumped in price by £20 and they're still preorders.

Overclockers have mentioned on their forums how the exchange rate shift completely wiped out their margin on pre-orders and they're now committed to several million worth of orders where they will either make nothing or a minor loss.

It's not supply/demand or anything to do with preorders, that price hike is because you are paying in sterling and the shop is paying in dollars.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Blackfyre posted:

1080 prices in the UK have skyrocketed this last week or so - is this cause of the stupid leave vote or just demand?

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/GBPEUR:CUR

Our money is literally worth 10% less than what it was this time last week.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Krailor posted:

PC/Console gaming isn't dead, it just won't be on dedicated hardware. We'll all be launching a game streaming app on our STB of choice and then pick up where we left off on our browser or phone.

That's what should be keeping Nvidia/AMD/MS/Sony/Intel up at night. Why spend $400 on a new console or $1k+ on a gaming PC when I can just stream a game to my TV using my Chromecast and pick it up later on my Chromebook.

Truth-in-the-middle: the PC/Console gaming distinction will fall away as in future you will have a single piece of hardware in your home that does the gruntwork streaming data to your monitor/tv/radio as you choose. It'll also be the device controlling your heating/ac/lights and unlocking your door when you get home because hey why not.

The next form-factor for PCs will be a box built into the design of your house for the computer that will control everything and you will get to choose how beefy you want it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The silver lining is that while AMD might be imploding, Nvidia can't assume that they won't show up with something competitive in the next generation.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Elentor posted:

DLSS has been something asked for by ML researchers for a while now because if/when done right it will be a major game changer. Hardware is progressing but we're at a point where it will not be able to progress faster than algorithmic improvements. Right now we're at the highest we've ever been when it comes down to neural network development - the past few years have seen more advance in the field than people could imagine a decade ago. So when people started getting results like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjjTPV2pXY0

It was pretty obvious that the next step would be to try to get some of that into games.

Given how insanely faster progress in that field is compared to improving hardware because of physical limitations, odds are very high that you will see more of that in the upcoming years.

Never buy the first generation of any technology. Get in on gen 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fknlo posted:

ASUS 2080(?) for $510.

Why the question mark? Pics and technical details say 2070 while the title and description say 2080. It's Amazon so if you get a 2070 you can just return it for a full refund.

Just put in a query with the vendor? Either they uploaded the wrong stock phone or they C/P'd the wrong text in. Or it's a deliberate scam in which case you chasing the deal that's too good to be true is going to end badly for you.