Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So does anyone think these inflated mining prices will also gently caress the initial pricing of the next gen cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So what is the ti schedule typically? 6 months after the general release? I'm trying to determine what to buy as an upgrade from a 970 in order to drive a 1440p 120hz ultrawide and also a rift, and I'm not sure if dropping the extra 600+ on a 1080ti would be worth it due to the cards age compared to being patient.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The performance isn't bad by any means on the monitor or the rift, I would just like to be able to crank up the settings to max. Any additional waiting just gives me time to save up the cash but I was curious what the time tables generally are for the higher performing cards. From what I understand, a 1080ti will be great but not quite able to handle everything maxed at a 120 framerate, and any additional power I can throw at the rift for supersampling is always nice.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Part of the problem is people like me that just paid a premium for a gsync monitor, so they can pretty much gently caress us on price for newer cards until amd gets their poo poo together AND we are willing to get a new monitor.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

About how long after the 70/80s drop do you see the ti cards come out?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I guess if that's the case how the tits do I build a bot to get me a card that will power my monitor decently?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Cygni posted:

yeah it was minor, nobody buys a MSI card cause it fuckin says Duke in the name cmon. ATI and Nvidia used to straight up pay brands to stop making products with the others chips, flipping out cause Nvidia wants to pay off zotac to use the term AMP! on a box is comical

This isn't an even remotely accurate representation of what was going on. Did you bother to read anything about it?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I have problems with performance, but ED can be taxing on older systems.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

My single point of anecdotal evidence is all the data required to make a judgement.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So if I'm looking at 120 refresh rate on a 3440x1440 monitor, cranked to max settings, is it safe to assume the new ti could hit that target or am I waiting on another generation?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

When I crank up the eye candy in total war warhammer it's at about 60. Same in rainbow six.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I just want a card that can handle my monitor. 1440 at a 120 refresh rate shouldn't be to much to ask for this gen.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

JUST BUY IT!

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Ansel? Still works as far as I know.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Arivia posted:

Advanced leather jacket shaders.

Miles eckhart in star citizen just got hard.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I remember personally spending $1600 on 32MB of RAM. 2080 Ti is baby pricing.

Baby pricing as in I can buy a cheap baby for the same amount?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah I grabbed a 1080ti new with that ebay coupon and fully intend to just do the step up to a 20xx card. I want something that can max out my 1440p ultrawide and the 2080 looks like the closest I'll get without blowing over a grand on a card.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I may roll a step up to it depending on how much money I can justify blowing on it. I just bought an evga 1080ti so I don't see the issue in at least hopping on a 2080 for a marginal increase.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Scalding hottakes

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Be nice if you could step up to that one instead of the one that's more expensive.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Total warhams will take any vram you can throw at it as well it seems like.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So I have a 1080ti, and started the step up with evga to a 2080ti. Their msrp is something like $1150 for the black whatever edition. I assume they are going to keep their price gouging price as the basis for what I'll need to pay, right? I think their the lower cost sku isn't eligible to step up to and I'm outside the window to change at this point anyways.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I meant as far as a $1000 msrp vs an $1150. I'll leave extolling the virtues of corporate generosity for another thread, and it makes sense in my set up to me at least. Ultrawide 1440 at 120hz and also driving a rift.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

no the extra 15% spent wont result in anywhere near 15% performance. They are the same GPU, the power delivery and cooling will be improved resulting in a usually cooler and quieter card that overclocks better. Still not 15% better though, maybe 5% with a golden chip and underwater

My question was if I'm in the step up queue will they lower the price to match a lower msrp or do they keep separate skus to say "sorry, different card?"

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'm loving this absolutely broke dick delivery of expensive rear end features.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

When deciding if you want to upgrade, you have to ask yourself "how much of my life do I want to live without raytracing?"

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Bonobos posted:

Awesome, really appreciate your doing that!

Good on mankind divided, that’s one I’ve been itching to replay.

Sorry for the derail, but I ran into the issue of mankind divided crashing every 10-15 minutes if not sooner and the solution was to unplug every USB connection that was non essential. Wanted to throw it out in case you ran into a similar issue.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You're going to help us make our products better so we can make more money, and you're going to like it. You want something for it or for it to not be a pile of poo poo? gently caress you.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Just throwing it out there, try running games in admin mode if you aren't and see if that makes a difference. I was running into a lot of hard locks and crashes (on admittedly Nvidia hardware), but that reduced it by a ton.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Could you translate that last part for us laymen? I'm assuming Nvidia isn't going to uncut their own product less than a year later so I'm confused what that could mean.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense now.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

That's a cool loving desk.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

No one gamer should have all that power

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I don't care what cards I had before I have a 1080ti now and this thing still fucks.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Furiously hits F11

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So if I'm running a 1700 ryzen and a 1080ti for a 3440x1440 and also VR should I look at upgrading the CPU or the GPU first? I would like to get in on that sweet dlss but for the most part things seem pretty fine with my system and I'm not sure where the most bang for the buck would go. Obviously we don't have performance numbers for the new gen, and the 2xxx gen seemed weird in that a 2080 looked like a sidegrade at best from a 1080ti - so assuming whatever speculation would my CPU be a bottleneck that I should prioritize?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I know the vram use has been console constrained previously but my 1080ti I don't think has ever come close to the limit even with high res texture packs and whatever settings maxed out. I'm also imagining the fallout that someone previously alluded to where the 10gig cards aren't enough to power games with almost everything turned up and how pissed I'd be paying 1k or whatever for that.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The fat flasher is the content I'm here for.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Ahahaha behind the spatulas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

CAAAANNNN YOU SMELLLL, WHAT THE JENSEN IS COOKIN?