Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kweh! Wark! Kweh!
May 16, 2008

Meat buns? :3:
Should I buy a 280x now, or wait until the 370 drops? I'm really on the fence about it, and there's some good deals on the 280x right now.

Edit: I'm upgrading from a HD 6850

Kweh! Wark! Kweh! fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kweh! Wark! Kweh!
May 16, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

What're you calling a "really good deal"? I'd actually be staying away from the 280/X at this point just because of how old and behind on features they are. Keep in mind that they were originally released in December 2011.

Edit: I'm all about cheap 290 though. If you spot a custom cooler 290 under $220 again, and are looking for an upgrade right now, snag it.

189 shipped + free 835W Raidmax PSU. I could sell the PSU on ebay for 50 dollars or so. (I wouldn't put that thing in my rig.)

Maybe I should just wait for the 300 series and see what's up.

I'm running dual monitors, 27" BenQ @ 1080p, so nothing insane, but the 6850 is starting struggle.

sauer kraut posted:

AMD 280 is really old tech and you can get a slightly less outdated 290 for only a few bucks more these days. I've seen one for 239USD on newegg yesterday.
Otherwise it's impossible to say without knowing the new chips' capabilities. If they were any good you'd assume AMD would leak and tout that poo poo all over the place.

Thanks for all the info. I'm upgrading from a HD 6850, so I'm kind of out of the loop. (Plus I tend to really milk my hardware for years.) I'm trying to keep the replacement under 200USD.

Kweh! Wark! Kweh!
May 16, 2008

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I would definitely wait a month if you can

I can wait it out, definitely.

Thanks for the advice guys.