Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I live very close to a MicroCenter, someone tell me how to make literally hundreds of dollars for doing nothing (and I'm not talking about buttcoin) :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

MaxxBot posted:

You mean flipping the cards? I had to wait in line for the store to open twice to get one because they only get very limited shipments. My local MicroCenter sells RX 570s and 580s for like $210-220 and they can go for like double that on ebay. I was gonna keep coming back to get more but they now instituted a rule that you can only buy one card per month. That now applies to 1060s and 1070s even because I guess people were buying those out even though MicroCenter marks those up higher.

Ah, okay. Yeah, the 1060s and 1070s are limited to two each at my store. Didn't look too far off online market, but was just quickly browsing while looking for laptops. But there were quite a few there...

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
When new cards are put onto Newegg, what time of day is that generally? I'm specifically looking at getting the Aorus Gaming Box if that helps.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I have a pre-order in for the Gaming Box and I'll be using it with a Skull Canyon NUC and a yet to be purchased ultrabook. I had considered going with one of the other enclosures (have a spare 980 that I could use, but instead will flip now). There's a lot that it gets right from the jump:

1. For only $100 more than the Razor Core, it comes with a GPU. $500 for an enclosure ... eesh.
2. Weighs in at around 5 pounds with carrying case and has almost half or a third the volume of other cases. I'll be moving around soon, so this was a better option than a full desktop, and any weight/volume saved will come in handy.
3. Being able to charge your laptop from the link was a must for me. The $300 enclosures didn't have this, so the cheapest was the Mantiz Venus at $380.

I'll post more when I get the box, for gaming (and hopefully) machine learning observations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
This is from the Covid thread, so not as dire, but this is basically the mindset I'm working with. I almost delayed my build for the 3070/3080, but now I'm glad I just bought a 1650 Super for a decent price and called it a day. I'll update when they are more regularly available, especially since only Flight Simulator is the game I play right now that'd get a massive benefit and even it still runs fine.

Ice Phisherman posted:

So I remember the advice from the goon who worked at McMurdo station, Antarctica.

As ugly as it sounds, setting a date for your release is counterproductive. Yes it gets you through now, but when the date comes and passes and you can't go, you'll eat more than the cost, you'll swallow sadness as well. Don't set a date for when things will be magically over. It's not possible to plan that.

I strongly suggest planning something more manageable in your area that you know that you can do, know you can go to and know you can enjoy. Even if it's just camping somewhere local. It's not overseas, but it's something. Setting attainable goals is a way to reliably succeed and people need those successes. Setting goals that may or may not work depending on random chance is basically gambling with your hope.

I'm not saying abandon all hope now, but maybe make some backup plans so you're not left with nothing.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
remember to file your taxes on your crypto gains, and yes mining counts

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
How much of an improvement is the 3090 over the 3080 in regards to ML? I know it's not huge for gaming, but given it might actually be easier to find a 3090 because of the price point and I can afford it... at least I could justify it because I'm also gonna use it for ML tasks.

Alternative is just sticking with the 1650 until the bubble pops / stock normalizes and I have options again I guess, but at least I could also sell that for 3x what I bought it for to also offset the 3090 purchase.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
And MicroCenter if you live close by, they've put up some notices saying they'll have those too in person.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Time to re-implement the old Gameboy on/off switch that locks the cart in place! Call it the Turbo Switch like the old Turbo buttons on PCs

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I'm curious how GeForce Now, Stadia, and Cloud GPU ML has also played into the shortage. Do we know if Google and Amazon are buying up 3090s as well, or Nvidia holds some back for their own streaming service?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Fairfax VA MC is dropping the shipping manifest at around noon the day before now instead of ~9pm, so people are lining up even before that. It's insane.

Yeah, I went over there yesterday to pick up a USB drive and some other stuff for my case, and was shocked to see 10 people out there at 4 pm. Some with camping chairs, some with nothing. I hope they have a sleeping bag or even a pillow for the sleep, but... eesh.

There were some 1650's inside for 200 dollars if you just needed any card. And I bought my 1650 Super in August 2020 for... $180. Yikes.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
congrats on your GTX 3210

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I really don't understand why Microcenter hasn't just taken signups and done a lottery or waitlist. It can't be more hassle than dealing with that stuff on a daily basis.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Was very happy with my 1650 Super until I started playing Control today. I will spend the rest of the day/week/month/year F5’ing

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Microcenter with a huge drop today too, picked up a EVGA 3090. Apparently I can trade it in if a different one comes available because of the 30 day limit, so I may wait a few days to see if 3070/3080 drops in the next week. But given the high praise I've seen of EVGA in this thread, I'm leaning towards keeping it as opposed to another brand card. Either way, excited these are much more available now.

They had 3060 for $4XX, 3080ti for $2000 (lol) and the EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra for $1900.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Sorry, should have been clearer on two points:

1) Microcenter lets you get around the "Only 1 GPU every 30 days" rule if you trade it in. I live close to one, so I can go and do the raffle a few more times if they have cards with better value. I did purchase it, but haven't opened the box yet.

2) I may keep it for the 5/10 year warranty; if I'm spending close to $2k for a card - I hope to be able to use it for a long while and protect it.

--

Anyway, unless this week is a fluke, I do wonder if they will have a lot more supply going forward; apparently other Microcenters had similar amounts; I believe 20+ people in line all got their choice of card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
My 3090 did okay on two separate rails (one split) 750W until it didn’t under heavy load ray-tracing. Got a 850W with three rails and it runs smoothly on everything. Don’t know which part of that setup fixed it, definitely the three rails and probably the 850W, even tho my UPS doesn’t show me ever hitting close to that number, maybe ~600-625W for the whole machine and monitor.