Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU in anticipating for GTA V. I can't seem to find reliable system requirements though. Do you guys think that I could get a GPU to run GTA V at 1080p (60fps) at around 250$ bucks, or do we not know enough to determine that? If I recall correctly, Rockstar is also god-awful at ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Hace posted:

They just announced the R9 285's MSRP is $249

What are the chances that it will remain this price? Every time I want to buy an affordable amd card bit coin miners drive up the price

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I've been looking for a good 250$ card and the 285 seems perfect. My GTX 465 is very long in the tooth.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Jesus, that's incredible! Thank you for that.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I've got a maximum of 250 I'm willing to spend on a new GPU. What's the best card in that price rage? I'm a neophyte to this sort of things...will I be able to get something that will play most titles at 1080p, 60 fps at that price range?

Maybe I should wait till GTA V comes out as that's the title for the PC I'm buying this card for.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Just got a new R9 290 Sapphire Tri-X OC card. Beastly. But the fans sound crazy loud when under high load. I played BF4 yesterday on Ultra and it sounded like a jet engine. Is this typical, or are maybe my fans in need of re-configuring? How should I go about doing that?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I'm trying to regulate my R9 290 (Sapphire Tri-X OC) crazy fans. This is the custom profile I came up with:

...Is this a good configuration? I don't want my card to roast but I also don't want a friggen jet engine to launch every time my machine takes on a high load.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I just realized why my R9 290's fans were going crazy. It's my case. I removed the side panel and now they're barely ramping up at all even under heavy load.

I know nothing about airflow and how to remedy this.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Do you guys have case fan recommendations? I mean in terms of manufacturers. Is there a CFM I should be aiming for, or some other factor I need to consider?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Thanks for the fan recommendations. I've been playing with my side panel off because my R9 290 fans are so much quieter. I have a single exhaust fan at the back, so I'm thinking of grabbing one fan for intake at the side.

Out of curiosity, aside from the obvious dangers of having your parts exposed by having your side panel open to the world, do you guys think airflow is better by having the side panel simply removed or would having an intake fan be ultimately better? Not that I'm going to keep my side panel off, but I'm curious.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So I popped in a new fan for my side panel to cool off my rig. It's a cooler master fan with a 3 to 4 pin adapter. It looks like this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...mqOMxoCGXXw_wcB

Am I supposed to connect both the 2 ends on the left to molex connections from my PSU, or can I just connect the 4 pin connection?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Are there any good applications for managing a multi-monitor set-up? It's a little wonky playing games on my main display and trying to alt-tab to access forums on my second display. Not as seamless as I'd like, and I'm not sure if it can be done more smoothly.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Any recommendations for quiet case fans (120mm) that aren't at noctua-prices?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

Phanteks fans are cheaper and better than Noctuas. More super silent focused fans are Nanoxia Deep Silence fans. Don't buy Noctua's unless you absolutely have to, they are stupidly overpriced.

Edit: wait why is this in the graphics card thread?

Well they're to cool my R9 290 which has been ramping up its fans to ungodly levels, but I should have mentioned that

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Do I have to uninstall my catalyst beta drivers before upgrading to omega? Someone did this on reddit and apparently didn't have functioning display drivers after doing so.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
What sort of apps use GFX workstation cards? AutoCad, 3D Modeling apps, etc? Would photoshop benefit from a Quadro?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So how's downsampling on AMD cards? I have an R9 290, not sure if it can handle it well. I'm also curious if I can use it on a 1080p display, or if you can only downsample on a higher resolution display

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I hope that's true. I hear the last Max Payne game was crazy well optimized, which is a world away from what GTA4 was on the PC.