Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Instrumedley posted:

I tried out the first compound you mentioned (Arctic Silver) and it worked great. (Temps: 21 C idle, 51 C while under load). Thanks!

Just to jump in on this, I build around 5-8 PC's per year for the past 5 years and I ended up giving this a go. Using so much of the stuff, it can get so expensive, but if you see yourself upgrading frequently in the future, I'd grab this-

http://dx.com/p/stars-professional-thermal-compound-with-injection-tube-10-pack-13915

It kept temps on my H70 LOWER than AS5 (the AS5 was around 6 months old), and this cheap stuff is fine although the changing seasons may cloud my immediate judgement as I change components alot, but the CPU cooler hasn't budged for a year at least. I don't see myself buying anymore thermal paste for a while and I chucked a few to friends for a euro each and that's made up the price already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Sorry but I burned through like 200 posts in the past few days, did I read that we can't use a secondary Nvidia card as dedicated PhysX anymore? Sure I remember reading something like that, as I just stumbled upon the card an hour ago. Currently running a 7950, but I do miss the PhysX effects :(

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

GrizzlyCow posted:

No. The hack that allowed users to use both an AMD card (like the Radeon HD 7950 Boost) with a NVIDIA card for PhysX (like the GTX 560 Ti Boost) is not well maintained any more. The alternative is maintained; use at your own risk.

Of course, earlier I may have overstated the fact that developers were specifically blocking Hybrid PhysX.

Yeah gently caress that, I'll just go for a GTX in a few months, only reason i got this is because it was a pricing error with 3 free games. Cheers :)