Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
So, what is the maximum safe temperature for the 970's?

I've got my MSi up to ~1488 Mhz GPU core clock and ~2000 MHz GPU memory clock with no voltage change and 110% power in Afterburner.

Running Sniper Elite III, the temperature is getting up to ~67C with the fans set to Auto. Cranking up the fans to 80 doesn't produce anymore noise but cools the card back down to around 55C.

Would I be safe keeping the fan on Auto with the 67C GPU core temp?

along the way fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
Looks like I'm good to go then. No coil whine and fan is super quiet.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
The MSi sticker has pretty strong adhesive, but really isn't that difficult to take off. Just go slow and get enough of it off to where you can gently hold the fan in place while you peel the rest off slowly with your enormous sweaty goon paws.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

do any hardware sites have a good comparison of the different brands' 970s yet?

Quick google search came up with this.

The MSi and Gigabyte seem to be the preferred options this time around.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
Shadow of Mordor on Ultra looks and runs great. I'm running an OC'd MSi GTX 970 at 1080P.

Is the 6GB minimum required or just recommended? Hope I'm not playing some pretendsy Ultra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

Bloopsy posted:

I got an email from Best Buy that my 3070 order is delayed due to fulfillment issues. If they can't get it to the store by Wednesday they will cancel the order. Anyone ever receive an email like this and still receive the card or should I just expect that its going to get cancelled because you know, best buy and all?

In a similar boat with my Gigabyte 3080. Pickup was supposed to be yesterday, but now it's saying delayed and it'll be canceled if it can't be in the store by Wednesday. Wait and see, I guess, but this is pretty annoying if it's just going to get canceled.