Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Rahu X posted:

Just finished doing so. Came up clean, no issues.

sether01 posted:

Have you memtested your ram?

From last page, but if you have any other compatible RAM laying around, try swapping it in anyway. I used to get MCE crashes on my current machine, memtest86 said everything was okay, I tried swapping the modules from one DIMM to another, tried running with only one DIMM populated, etc. On a whim, bought some new RAM, popped it in, and haven't had a crash since. All that while memtest86 said everything was dandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

I just installed a Radeon 7970 in my PC and when I play a game I get these lines across the screen - lines of lesser and greater brightness. They don't obscure the game but they're a little distracting. They only appear when I play a 3D game like Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty. When I'm browsing the web I get no problems.

My monitor uses a VGA-to-DVI adapter (blue-to-white). It operates at 60Hz.

When I use Linux, I have a different problem. The games do not display the lines of varying brightness, but they run VERY slowly. Unplayably slow.

The problem in Windows sounds like a bad connection (try a different VGA-DVI adapter, or better yet a different monitor). The problem in Linux sounds like you haven't re-compiled X or the graphics driver. ATI cards used to have a poo poo reputation for linux support. It's parts of the reason that I've never owned a card from them. That was before AMD bought them, and back when X was a unified package instead of dozens of smaller packages, so I don't know if that's still the case.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

cat doter posted:

I have absolutely no idea, it looks completely different when using the DVI-HDMI cable. It looks closer to what the image is SUPPOSED to look like (ie 1080p image with 1:1 pixel mapping) but it's still off by a bit causing some image issues, especially with white text on a black background.

Going HDMI to HDMI has a very blurry image and the pixel mapping is nowhere near 1:1 and I have to use the underscan settings to fix the image. Fuckin cheap chinese TVs man, I'd save up for a better one but I've got other priorities at the moment.

I had this exact same thing happen to me when I went from DVI on my old card to HDMI on my new card. Same TV, same color/brightess/contrast settings, but for some loving reason using HDMI outputs an overscanned image with some insane color profile. It took me days to loving with the settings on the monitor to get an acceptable image, and text still looks like poo poo and I don't think it's quite at 1:1 pixel mapping. In my case I'm using a somewhat recent Samsung TV. DVI still looks great and perfect, though.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

cat doter posted:

I have absolutely no idea, it looks completely different when using the DVI-HDMI cable. It looks closer to what the image is SUPPOSED to look like (ie 1080p image with 1:1 pixel mapping) but it's still off by a bit causing some image issues, especially with white text on a black background.

Going HDMI to HDMI has a very blurry image and the pixel mapping is nowhere near 1:1 and I have to use the underscan settings to fix the image. Fuckin cheap chinese TVs man, I'd save up for a better one but I've got other priorities at the moment.

My fix for this has always been using a DVI to VGA converter, using the TV's VGA port, editing the EDID using phoenix to make it support 1080p (and think it's the native resolution) which produced a near perfect image. I can't do that now though because the R9 290 doesn't support it.

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I had this exact same thing happen to me when I went from DVI on my old card to HDMI on my new card. Same TV, same color/brightess/contrast settings, but for some loving reason using HDMI outputs an overscanned image with some insane color profile. It took me days to loving with the settings on the monitor to get an acceptable image, and text still looks like poo poo and I don't think it's quite at 1:1 pixel mapping. In my case I'm using a somewhat recent Samsung TV. DVI still looks great and perfect, though.

Update on this.

I clicked around, and found this and this which suggests that HDMI on certain monitors defaults to "HDMI (TV)" instead of "HDMI (PC)". I changed mine to the latter, and all issues are fixed. No idea why that is, and the setting was deeply buried in the settings under something like "Rename the input types", but if anyone else runs across HDMI-to-HDMI image problems, be sure that it's set to the correct HDMI input type. Why one HDMI is different than another HDMI doesn't make any sense to me, HDMI being a standard and all.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
I really, really hope that there's a sub-$200 Gsync monitor available soon after launch, because that is some serious cool poo poo right there. You can have the bombest video card and still get stuttering and drops from time to time, but having a monitor that can compensate for that is going to be some really cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
So,

I'm in the position of getting a oddball workstation card (Titan Black 6GB) for virtually free as part of a hardware swap. I currently have a GTX760 running a rather sub-optimal 1080p TV. Rest of the system it would go in is pretty bland (i5 4570, SSD, etc.). It's kinda hard to find reviews on this thing, so I thought I'd ask around here:

Does anyone have one of these, and if so how loud is it when gaming?

Monitors: I would really like to get a nice UHD+Gsync monitor to go with this. I prioritize framerates over though, so if I ran Skyrim with his-res textures at UHD would it ever chug? The few reviews that I've found suggest that they still get dips into the 40-50 range at UHD. Is there some sweet spot between 1080p and 4K that I should look at?

Thanks, Merry Christmas, Happy Channukka, Hail Satan!