Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

EVGA made like seventy revisions of the same card and I didn't feel like picking out the one that doesn't suck, or if its available in New Zealand sorry :(
It's called SSC ACX2.0+ (04G-P4-3975-KR)
What is it about EVGA and Gigabyte that draws people so to them :confused:

EVGA gave me like $70 for running folding@home on their team. Never had a problem with their hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

It is doing some weird-rear end stuttering poo poo for me, like every few seconds driving around it'll pause for a quarter of a second or so. Textures are loading so slow that the car is floating over un-rendered thin-air sections of map.

The weird thing is I'm on an optimized 840 Evo, GTX 970, 16gb ram and G3258 @ 4.6ghz.

It seems exactly like the issue I had with Advanced Warfare, for that the one setting called "Cache Shadow Maps" turned out to be loving everything up in a very similar manner with the stutters and textures not loading, but for this I can't figure it out.

You have a 970 and 16gb of ram and you're also running a $50 dual core cpu? I mean, it doesn't really explain the texture loading issue but you might want to upgrade that sometime soon.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mutation posted:

Shadow of Mordor requires 6GB of VRAM to use the Ultra Textures setting.

AMD is putting out a card rumored to be $850 that can't run a year old game at max settings.

It really doesn't, you can run ultra textures on a 970 with no problems

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

There isn’t anything they can do about that. Companies set their data caps based on the bulk of the bell curve (only the top 2% of users would be affected, etc) so making regular people use more data is the only way to make them go up.

There is something they could do, become an ISP, wonder if they've ever thought of that

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Looking into my order history to see if I had an evga gtx970 I found the old email from Newegg about the 970 class action settlement from 3 years ago, did anyone actually see any money from that? I sure didn't

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ughhhh posted:

The ones on the 20xx seem to preform well now that they use a dual fan heatsink design. Now that both the FE and aftermarket came out at the same time and the FE coming out at MSRP, i personllay found the FE to be a better value. I was gonna buy the EVGA 2070 super black which was their only MSRP 2070s but it didnt come with a blackplate, no LED, and has too much of a GAMER asthetic with evga logos everywhere and a plastic shrouud. The FE on the other hand comes with backplate, LED, metal construction for the shroud and a somewhat industrial look. I think generally they both preform similarly with the EVGA one coming out slightly ahead.

Edit: looks like even the EVGA FTW3 doesn't really provide much in the way of performance or OC potential over the FE that justifies a 90$ markup to me at least.

I'd pay extra for components with no led tbh

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sininu posted:

How important is the VirtualLink USB connector for VR? I would love to get a headset sometime in the future so it's kind of a thing for me. MSI triple fan design 2070S doesn't have it for some reason.

no headset actually uses it so don't worry.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

So mojang scrapped their graphical overhaul and instead made it Nvidia exclusive. That's going to cause some disgruntlement. Curious that they didn't show off torch lighting

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

6gb, but No Man's Sky, so kinda. It only happens after I go into the anomaly, otherwise it'll hold 60fps at max graphics no problem. Considering that they're putting out like daily bugfixes I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't among the issues caused with the last patch.

Yeah that's absolutely on the software, don't go futzing around with your system at large to try to fix nms issues. Also, turn off multiplayer in the game options and see if that helps performance in the Nexus.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Text is never close to as good on a CRT. Freshly calibrated on a large, high res CRT is barely tolerable at best.

Good post but this isn't true, and I know this isn't what the discussion is about but if you get close to a monochrome vector CRT with text your going to be seeing nothing but chunky pixels on every other display for the next couple weeks

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

repiv posted:

FWIW 346.48 also fixed a problem I was having with Tetris Effect, where it capped at 100fps and ran with weird jittery frame pacing for some reason. Now it's back at smooth unlocked FPS.

edit: scratch that, as soon as i connected my bluetooth controller to actually play the framelock and bad frame pacing came back. the presence of the controller is somehow breaking the renderer

what the gently caress lol

I've been having issues with a controller (Xbox 1 via Bluetooth) causing severe fps drops lately and every time it's been fixed by putting in new batteries. Something about controller vibration combined with low batteries affects the render speed of games, it's very weird.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zeluth posted:

The Tick was cancelled.

Fuckin don't remind me dude

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I want a site where they do like 'this is the settings you need for 60fps at each resolution' for different tiers of cards

Annoying that such a concept barely exists

RPS does this with their how to get the best settings series. Not very granular but still a great starting point

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Geemer posted:

VR seems real neat, but then I look at the price tag for the cost of entry with a halfway decent headset and am immediately pulled away from any thoughts of maybe buying one, because I know I'll only use it a few times a year.

A halfway decent headset costs less than a halfway decent monitor or a mid-range video card, but it's true it has less utility than those things.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

K8.0 posted:

A halfway decent headset is halfway decent as VR headsets go, but the experience feels like 1998. Mid-range VR does not feel "mid-range" by comparison to a midrange monitor or GPU. If the experience gap closes a bunch, VR may take off more, but it will always be niche and it will always really only shine for simulation or games designed around the very specific strengths and weaknesses of room-scale VR as reasonably achievable to the average person.

idk what any of this means

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

repiv posted:

Cerny was talking about the potential for engines to unload assets behind the player because they can pull them back into memory faster than the player can turn around :eyepop:

(with a controller at least, that's not gonna work on PC ports where you can turn around nearly instantly with the mouse)

just had a flashback to launch day Rage (2011)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

That's not really the reason so many games are huge though. With the amount of texture detail that can be reliably streamed in with SSD's, expect game sizes to only increase.

This post reminded me of the discovery that the metal gear rising install contained like 7gb of game assets and 30gb of high def prerendered cutscenes

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zarin posted:

Yeah, I like the color green, so I make everything that color.

I actually just got some LED strip lighting and put it under my desk and set it to the same color coming out of my PC. I did it mainly to brighten up the room at night and provide some ambiance; I really don't like overhead lights on when I'm trying to play games. I like the lights so much I might get another set of white and add some light above the kitchen counter, under the lip of the kitchen cabinets

you would be well served getting some white led strips and putting them on the back of your monitor for this purpose. or green, whatever floats your boat

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

pretty sure someone did that a few years back when vr was first coming on to the scene

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Fox Engine itself was nothing special. What made MGS V so great was art direction. If you look closely at the game it's very clear it's not technically any more impressive than other games of its era, there's no magical way to push out pixels "better" and it's not doing anything fundamentally different than any other open world game. It just looks good, like all of Kojima's games, because he hires good art directors and has an obsessive eye for detail and avoiding the little failures that make you notice the weak points.

Also Konami is making more money off gaming than ever, they really aren't a pachinko company. They just aren't making games that WE care about anymore.

i hope everyone in this thread has read it already but here's a breakdown of the rendering techniques fox engine uses http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2017/12/15/mgs-v-graphics-study/ It actually does a lot to enable art directors to control the final look of the game, even though the rendering technologies are standard

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Taima posted:

That's a totally valid point and they really should give basic explanations (or maybe even more saliently, stop offering stupid rear end settings that do nothing at huge cost).

I usually just start playing the game, and every 5 minutes or so I'll tweak a setting or two, see how it runs and if it effects the graphics much, repeat for about 20-30 mins just playing the game as normal, and by the end of that time it's usually pretty clear what the worst offenders are.

There's also almost always threads about performance for any new demanding game within hours of that games release that go over the no-brainer things to change.

But yeah it's annoying, agreed. Still, I feel a small break-in process on a new game is worth it in exchange for often 20-40% better performance.

geforce experience is actually pretty good for this, they have screenshots with highlights of what every setting does. that plus the automatic settings, even if you don't actually use them, should give you a good idea of what is and isn't worth turning up or down

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Hey like a week ago people were talking about a chrome extension that can be used to watch for a site to update. What was that extension?

page monitor. good luck goon

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

now its a race to f5 and be the first one when it comes up. Only problem is that your f5ing will make sure it never comes back online

we call ourselves gamers but we;re soi bad at game theory

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Kingnothing posted:

Andddd FE goes up and captcha broken. Cool

it's great at keeping bots out!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

had a card in my cart on evga, got through credit card info, but on the verification page it had an old address. rip. but just got back in to change and on my profile page it's all current? hosed up

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

I would have taken the old address and forwarded it

it was wrong for billing as well ;_;

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

nvidia just trolling. ask for a captcha will you, we'll give you a captcha

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i think evga ip banned me from seeing the 3080 page :cb:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

nostalgia trip to the PS3 release

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

We all have 3080's down here...

https://i.imgur.com/p0NBgPo.mp4

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

sure would be cool if they started selling graphics cards. i wonder what it would be like, to purchase and own a graphics card

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

you bought the card knowing it was listed 500 dollars above the MSRP, expecting that it was a pricing error and the seller would be forced to refund you the difference

caveat emptor dude

sweet they might be up for 20 seconds instead of 10

get this: 3 traffic cones

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i'm supposed to feel bad for websites that transfer several MB of data for a drat store page?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

DrDork posted:

It's not the website transferring the data. It's all the linked ads and bullshit. Those (generally) aren't hitting the site's bandwidth, but they sure as gently caress are hitting yours.

Someone should update the script to support ABP and bring that data use waaaay down.

inspecting nvidia's shop landing page i'm seeing a 1MB javascript blob and several large images all coming direct from nvidia. it would be funny if the nvidia snatcher thing didn't allow any caching of resources, i don't know how to check that

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

VorpalFish posted:

Story checks out.

...what is a body hammer?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sphyre posted:

that anyone who really wanted a 3080 would be able to get one "well before" the end of the year.

can anyone ITT whose been f5ing for a 3080 since launch and still hasn't managed to get their hands on one let me know so I can keep tabs, ta

hey that\s me

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

was logged in, had a card in cart before the drop, and still couldn't get through checkout at zotac. why tf their checkout system requires you to load like 5 pages to fill out your information

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the paypal link has never worked for me, always get 524 or the unable to initialize paypal session screen. also it turns out you just can't check out in firefox lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the best buy store is truly psychotic poo poo, whoever designed it should be institutionalized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

bus hustler posted:

I offered mine to a friend and in the 2 minutes it took to agree they were long gone. Oh well, I don't get the point of Best buy's weird little cart queue thing if it doesn't reserve one for at least a minute or two.

its not bad enough to fail during checkout, now just clicking the big yellow add to cart button has to be a little roulette game