Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Jan posted:

But that's because 120hz does not solve a problem other than one of opinion. Whereas G-sync is a solution to a real, common issue.

Games rarely run above 60fps, but they frequently run below 60fps.

His point still stands though, most people don't even know the difference between network latency and fps. Most people don't know and don't care about these things. We know and we "care" because we choose to build our systems and follow hardware news, but I'd wager we are the minority. This looks like a nice piece of tech like dedicated physx cards that only a few lavish spenders will go for. Not really looking good in terms of bang for buck right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

If anyone has the inclination or the time to help me with my GPU issues, I'd greatly appreciate it. I bought an ASUS Matrix ROG 280x at launch and it has been artifacting after a few hours of play in BF4 since the first week. I should have RMA'ed it, I can probably still RMA it but I discovered that odds are very likely the replacement model will also artifact because most of these cards are just "defective."

So I'm looking for other solutions instead:

1. Buy NVIDIA (never had an artifacting issue with Nvidia cards), I'm looking at the 770 but in terms of performance they seem to be equal and I'd feel stupid throwing money away like that. I'd rather wait for the next generation of cards.
2. Downclocked from 1100 to 1000 GPU and 1600 to 1500 MEM which seems to have alleviated the artifacting problem but now if I have BF4 open (did not have time to test other games) and open a video (ex: youtube) I get a light blue color screen which locks up the computer but sound will continue to play.
3. Try different drivers; no catalyst driver has helped so far and some users report fixing the issue by updating the bios on their other 280x card but ASUS does not have any updates for this card.

Couple of things to bear in mind, all temperatures are nominal and are well within acceptable operational ranges. GPU stays around 70-78° during gaming and I have not tampered with voltages (yet).

Edit: I used to run a 580GTX on this same PC and power supply.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

beejay posted:

:wtc: RMA it, why would you not RMA it?

Turns out I can't RMA it :( But good news is that bumping memory clock down from 1600 to 1550 has solved all artifacting.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Senjuro posted:

It is normal for new cards to have such a small window between official announcement and release? Wouldn't they want to give people some time to plan ahead for what is usually a pretty big expenditure?

I might be talking out of my rear end but I feel like the vast majority of GPU buyers aren't planning their upgrade cycles much less analyzing advance specs leaks.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

GokieKS posted:

My local MC is showing as having 9 EVGA SC ACX 970s and 5 EVGA SC GTX 980s, for $10 over MSRP ($339 and $559 respectively). Which is tempting me to sell my 780 and pick up a 980.

Same boat as you except I have to sell a R280X ROG. Need to figure out selling price.

edit: 6 in stock!

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Deuce posted:

Now the 970s don't seem to be on Microcenter's website at all...

Yeah I can't find it on the site either. Fairfax VA store if that matters. :(

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

suddenlyissoon posted:

I already got some sucker on Craigslist to buy my 970 for $300 (after I only paid 340 and got ~90-ish back from Newegg for the memory fiasco). WHY CAN'T YOU STOCK ANY 980 TI'S, AMAZON!

Any brand/fan recommendations for the 980ti? I've been on an oc'ed r280x so noise level is an issue for me and I'm trying to avoid "bad rep" cards like the 1.0 970 evga (but I love evga).

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

The nvidia conference is in April right? How soon after can we expect the new gen of cards in stores?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Been forever since I played anything at anything other than native res. If I get a 1440p screen and play at 1080p cause I have a 280x (holding for pascal but need a screen now) will I notice a substantial drop in performance?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I ante'd up and bought the 980ti because a) I'm rich, why not and b) this is pretty much gonna be my last upgrade on this system before I build a new one anyway, might as well go all in.

this is mostly a fake brag post but I quoted you because I felt the same way (part B not as much A though).

I put together a brand new tower last night:

screen: acer predator XB271HU bmiprz
mobo: asus rog hero alpha
cpu: i5-6600K
cooler: h100i v2
ram: corsair dominator ddr4 16gb (2x8)
psu: corsair ax860i
case: corsair 450d
ssd: 950 pro 256gb

but I kept the old graphics card - a r280x - instead of getting a 980 ti because I feel like the next gen is right around the corner.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Not just top of the line, but a G-Sync monitor with a 280x.

What's the chance of a monitor ever coming out with both G-Sync and Freesync supported on the same model? Would NVidia even allow that?

You know the monitor works with ati cards right? I'm just waiting for the new nvidia cards. Couldn't rationalize buying something just for a few months.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

I eagerly await the sales on AMD 290s for $75!

I have a r280x for sale should I just give it away?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Looks like retailers are liquidating stock

$319.99: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW+ ▪ Only $135 Each When You Buy 2 on newegg

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

He took things out of context, its $319 for a single 970 and there's another separate deal where you can get a pair of 4TB hard drives for $135 each.

Crap you're right the subject shows like that on my phone

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Truga posted:

Because AMD sucks and nvidia über alles, in the minds of most people. Even in price brackets where nvidia is comparatively poo poo, they seem to sell more these days. :shrug:

yes that's the reason why, there couldn't possibly be any other reason.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I really wish there were more G-sync compatible monitors in 1440p. I just can't justify $700 on a monitor and I don't want to take a performance hit and buy a 4k display just yet.

If you have a micro enter nearby check them. I got a
XB271HU bmiprz for 20% off when I bought a cpu two months ago. They're always running some sort of deals.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

xthetenth posted:

The 1080 has a stonking huge upcharge because it's the fastest single chip. That value goes poof the moment the 1080 Ti comes out. Then another wad of value goes poof when the next generation drops. There is no single worse card to buy to hold for 2+ years than a GTX x80 because nothing else takes two hits like that in the span of two years. The 1070 will remain the 1070 and priced accordingly for 2 years. The 1080 Ti will drop a year after release when the next generation drops, but will stay at the same spot the two years after that. AMD cards will linger on far longer than wanted and slowly drop down the scale, probably on a two year cadence. I strongly recommend a 1070 and the difference in cash set aside for an upgrade over the 1080. It will do much better over 5 years, and be especially better at the end of those years, when the 1080 would really be dragging hard.

Your facts are all wrong, go look at MSRP and current used prices and releases dates. The value does not go poof, even if it did the same would hold true for any other card.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

So am I dumb for wanting to throw down for a 144hz 1440 monitor along with a 1070? I currently use a 120hz 1080p one. Should I just wait till 4k is more main stream?

The waiting game is entirely up to you. You can wait forever and a half because the next big tech is right around the corner...

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

unless your cpu is a c2d then no you aren't going to be bottlenecked. It's become a thing of the past.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That is not true at all. There are plenty of games that will run slower than they could because the CPU can't feed the GPU fast enough, they tend to be badly optimized or have other issues but they still exist, it becomes especially apparent if you render at lower resolutions where the GPU could push a crazy number of frames but caps out instead.

well you're picking an edge case really but technically are correct

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Received a text message 5 minutes ago from nowinstock that newegg has a gigabyte in stock
Go to newegg and add to cart
Go to checkout and immediately receive error message that the card has been removed from my cart due to stock limitations

This is stupid. What am i doing. Never trust anything covered with colorful LED lights

Are they manufacturing these cards by hand? Why so few units?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

ufarn posted:

Do we know what the 1070/80 Strix are supposed to cost in € outside those weird prices? Seems like everyone's trying to rake in some higher profits.

I'd love to know, I'm waiting on the 1070 strix or a decent evga 1070 but given the current clusterfuck I'm beginning to wonder if I should forget about it for a month or two.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

objects in mirror posted:

Will the 1070 be overkill for 1080p?

Yes? it's in the reviews. It does very well for 1440p but not 144fps on ultra. Definitely overkill for 1080p

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Double phone post.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

afkmacro posted:

You had to flash the bios with the one from the pro. It's not like they shipped the cards with a hidden pro bios on it.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

When I can actually buy a 1070 AIB at a reasonable price? my 280x is dying. :(

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

How is yours dying? I have two (7870s anyway) that died/went bad in a week and I was pretty surprised because I've never had a single video card failure in my life.

The factory OC always artifacted but I never RMA'ed because I'm dumb. And now even underclocking doesn't reduce artifacts anymore, I'm now getting what can only be described as a flashing QR code in one consistent part of the screen (on different monitors and different PCs, OS, drivers). Temps are fine.

Lockback posted:

Unless something changed I believe the answer is "you cannot". The release was really just a few days ago, and right now the FE is the only card that has any availability, and even that is scarce at best. If you can limp along for a few weeks you may see some trickle out, though I think the manufacturers and retailers will continue to take advantage of the outstripped supply and charge a premium for a while.

This makes me sad. I really want the 1070 strix but asus doesn't have a release date and their forums don't even talk about it.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Psy890 posted:

Weird. Looks like actual clocks on ASUS and MSI cards are lower than what was sent out to reviewers.

http://videocardz.com/61121/asus-and-msi-accused-of-sending-modified-cards-to-the-press

Also looks like there will be two STRIX cards, in $430 and $450 variants.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/asus-rog-1070/

that first comment kills it:

"Your correct that ASUS cranked out 2 cards as far as I can tell and only 2 as none can be found for sale [...]"

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Where the hell is the asus rog 1070? I can't find it anywhere online...

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

It's here https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-STRIX-Graphic-STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING/dp/B01HDUVJ1I :dance:

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Palladium posted:

Hard to compete in a market where you have three straight years (2009-2011) of superior products and value for money,

citation needed

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

ASUS rog in stock at newegg ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-126-109

Not OC edition and more expensive than OC edition at Amazon but at least it's in stock.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Newegg just started shipping the 1070 strix. :D

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Mine comes tomorrow: "Estimated delivery: Friday, July 08, 2016 by End of Day"

Guess I know what I'll be doing all weekend. :)

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

I installed the 1070 strix on Friday night and have been playing doom on ultra with gsync and everything cranked up at 1440p, it's incredible. I've haven't had a PC with this much horsepower ever and I haven't even OC'ed the cpu or gpu http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9247258

A couple of things about the strix and ASUS in general.

1. Why the gently caress do I need two versions of AURA to control the motherboard and the gpu?
2. Why the gently caress did you guys forget to put LEDs behind the STRIX lettering on the gpu?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From reading this thread for the past few weeks it sounds like all the card wars arguments are moot because all the cards being made sell out anyway, demand outstrips manufacture.

I don't know about you but I still think amd sucks regardless how many cards they sell.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

teagone posted:

But if your monitor is only 1080p, surely saving $200 with the 1060 is the more reasonable option... right? I personally think so.

Reasonable options aren't as fun. Like you go out for dinner are you going to order the grilled chicken breast with asparagus or are you going to get the lobster mac and cheese with a filet mignon?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Otakufag posted:

I just bought a 1070, but own an old i5 2400 3.10 ghz which will probably bottleneck me. What's the recommended processor and mobo these days to go together with a 1070?

6600K or 6700K. Motherboard depends on if you need of any the extra garbage that makes up the premium price.

Something like this is fine albeit overpriced for some http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W03VR9011

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Barry posted:

What's the going rate for a 280X these days? Buttcoiners still snatching them up? I replaced my 280X with a 1070 and might try to get rid of it on Craigslist.

if you find out please post here, I'm in the exact same boat as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

What would the GPU thread be without speculation over product releases more than a year out?

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/08/12/nvidia-corporations-volta-rumored-to-be-a-monster.aspx

a price tier above the new titan? good god.