Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I managed to get a 3080 FE in today's Best Buy drop. Since I'm running on a Corsair TX650W from 2008, I figured it'd be a good idea to get a PSU too so that my new $700 graphics card isn't running on a 12 year old PSU. I ordered a Corsair RM750 because power supplies are also out of stock everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I was getting black flickering, but only while a game was up and I tabbed out to Chrome.

No issues while working all day today. My driver version is 461.09

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Rusty posted:

I didn't know the RTX 3080 FE had additional LEDs besides the white lights? For some reason after I bought a headset, my 3080 now cycles through all the colors in a location I had no idea it even had LEDs. Here's a bad photo of what I am talking about. It's the green part.

If you have Precision X1 you'll see there's two lights. The RTX logo is only white and you can control brightness while the V is fully controllable RGB.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Nothus posted:

Best Buy had a drop this afternoon and it was like chum in the water on the discord I'm on. I didn't get poo poo though.

What Discord was this? I'm only on ATR-Stonks (now called Nerdspeak?) and there was no mention of Best Buy.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Splinter posted:

There were notifications for this drop on Nerdspeak. 3060 Ti/3070/3080 tracking channels all had notifications and gen chat was popping off.

Weird. Must have missed it somehow.

And thanks Nothus!

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Spacedad posted:

3070ti might be the nice sweet-spot GPU I'm looking for TBH. I might do that.

Or 3080ti if the MSRP isn't too crazy.

Edit: So would this work for the step-up program? Says it's from Adorama. https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-210-01g-p3-1312-lr/p/N82E16814130586?Item=9SIA4P05E43254

No, the model number ends in LR.

It has to end in KR.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

K8.0 posted:

No, because it's a 2 year warranty card, although nothing but knowing the vagaries of EVGA naming nomenclature would tell you that and the step-up page doesn't contain that information. For all the praise people love to give EVGA, they are absolutely Acer monitor name levels of cryptic with the step-up program. They honestly deserve a lot of poo poo for it.

They tell you, but it's not obvious.

quote:

WHAT PRODUCTS QUALIFY FOR THE STEP-UP PROGRAM?
You can unlock the Step-Up option for most 3 Year Warranty products as long as it meets the conditions listed below. Once the Step-Up option is unlocked, you will have 90 days from the original purchase date for your product to start the upgrade process through the EVGA website. Once the Step-up process begins, you will receive a confirmation email.

"3 Year Warranty" is a link which you would only know if you hovered your mouse over it that leads you to the warranty page where is says this:

quote:

3 Year Standard Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX, -KR, -K1, -K2, -K3, -K4, -K5 -KB, -KA, -KF, -KM, -KP, -KS
2 Year Standard Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -LA, -LE, -LR, -L1, -LX, -T1, -T2, -TR, -TX
1 Year Standard Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -B1, -BR, -BX, -DR, -RX, -R2
90 Day Standard Limited Warranty Product Suffix: -RB

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Got a tl;dw?

Essentially 10% more performance over the stock 3080 for a larger price increase.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
The NYC Best Buy had 62 according to a guy on the MC Discord who got a voucher.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait seriously? I’ve actually never heard somebody say it out loud I guess. I always assumed it was pronounced “tit-tay-nee-um”.

It depends which side of the pond you're on.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I got a little tired of the temps on my 3080 FE being high so I ordered some Gelid pads to replace the stock ones. They came in today from Amazon, so I either has it coming, or all the other talk about counterfeits is getting to my head.

I'm wondering if the 2mm thick sheet I got is counterfeit. The packaging is the same height but narrower, the colors are a little faded, and the text is a little blurrier, as if ClearType was tuned off, than the two 3mm sheets.

Has anyone ordered these before and can confirm or deny my suspicions?

Front:

Back:

2mm vs 3mm:

2mm vs 3mm:

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Yeah, that's what it looks like to me too. And the tab with perforations looks different as well.

Stupidly didn't look at who they were sold by when I added them to Cart. Currently the 2mm and 3mm are sold by "Retail storee," but shipped by Amazon.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think it necessarily matters who the seller was because of co-mingled stock.

Yeah, this was my worry.

I was also just thinking that maybe they needed the wider packaging for the 3mm in order to not squish the edges since since it is a whole millimeter taller. Like how envelopes can only hold so my paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
For me it was Circuit City and Best Buy. I would always gawk at the neon green Alienware machines and play Medal of Honor Allied Assault while my parents shopped.

I had no idea that Microcenter existed until 2012(?) even thought the location closest to me opened in 1998.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 21, 2021