Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My gaming consists of Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. Should I just get the GTX 460 for $140 now or wait for prices to fall as Kepler continues to roll out?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

eggyolk posted:

PhysX seems to only enable the cutting edge WDC feature (wafting-drop-cloth) in a few select games. See here and here. Pretty deal breaking IMO.
You mean that it's really not that useful and nobody should go with a GeForce over a similar Radeon because of PhysX.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's a better deal? The TigerDirect Zotac 560 Ti at 905MHz/4010MHz for $183 after tax, rebate and free shipping for the Newegg Zotac 560 Ti at 950MHz/4400MHz for $188 after rebate, shipping, and no tax?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Better deal is dealing as little as possible with TigerDirect.
For a return situation, I can understand. But it's not like it's so difficult to ship a single video card to Atlanta... or is it? :tinfoil:

I'm leaning toward the slightly slower and $5 cheaper TigerDirect one since I can always OC it and the Newegg one is so overclocked that it has overheating issues, though I'm reading mixed reports of overheating in 560 Ti's in general that a BIOS update was supposed to address. :confused:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

DX11.1 isn't going to be a huge release, mostly behind-the-scenes stuff for performance and API integration. It will include stereoscopic 3D support, though, so, hypothetically, every game will get S3D without fiddly vendor-specific implementations.
Speaking of which, has anyone tried 3D on the Nvidia cards with just red/blue glasses? I know they give them out for free at trade shows, but I was hoping some place locally might have them for like $3, and all the Blockbusters are closed :(.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 19, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Paino posted:

Tried EVGA Precision and it shows the right clocks when I'm in game. Temperature are between 55 and 65.

Diablo is still choppy when there's a lot happening on screen. I'm using vsync+ triple buffering (screen tearing is horrible in this game) and while I'm usually at 60fps, whenever the screen is full of monsters exploding/spell effects it can drop to 40-20 for 3-4 seconds, than it gets back to 60. It's incredibly annoying and I hope Nvidia actually releases decent drivers for the game EVERYONE IS PLAYING.
I recently got a 560 Ti and I have no issues with D3 on 301.42, and I enabled vsync and triple buffering @ 1920x1080.

This is probably stupid, but have you tried reinstalling drivers? You could also roll back to the last version.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Paino posted:

I edited my previous post to include the Battle.net thread. I have cleaned everything with Driver Sweeper before reinstalling, but as I said I can't roll back to 296.10 because my gpu (gtx 670) is not supported. It literally doesn't let me install them.

My CPU is an i5 2500k, my HD is an Intel SSD, I have 8 gb ram. People have been saying to set the affinity to 1 core in D3 app properties but it seems dumb to me. I may try it if nothing else works. It's not latency, the FPS drops are noticeable with Fraps on.
I recall having to do the affinity thing for something a couple years back and it did, in fact, fix my problems. Can't recall what for though. :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

spasticColon posted:

I know that nvidia cards have PhysX but does AMD have any hardware accelerated physics engines that run on their cards? And if so, do any games actually support it?
There's so few games that support PhysX that it should not be a factor in any purchasing decisions.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wozbo posted:

I never understood this? Its like saying an engine is 3.3 Liters. Wouldn't you want to also consider things like frequency and word length too? Heck, I thought that the 256 bit bus could saturate PCIE2 x16 in SLI mode.

E: With the latest gen of GDDR, sorry if being obtuse.
The market of people who buy cards based on memory bus bandwidth is super small.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does the 660 Ti's low memory bandwidth make it a bad choice for 2560x1440 systems vs something like a 580?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Although, maybe with a "moar cores!" approach game developers will be forced to multithread things and we end up with PC ports that are actually able to take advantage of quad core (plus hyperthreading?) systems to the fullest, ushering in a new age of extremely efficient PC gaming?

Probably not, but I'm optimistic :v:
Isn't the issue with PC gaming more to do with different hardware and not being to able to optimize for one GPU as opposed to CPU power?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I have a 560 Ti (not even 448) right now and this thread is making me feel shameful.

On the other hand, until the PC industry responds to the PS4's shakedown cruise, upgrading is likely to leave me paying two big outlays in less than two years.

I actually forgot that console launches do this to me.
Same, 1GB 560 Ti + 3570K. Luckily I mainly play Starcraft. :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

jkyuusai posted:

From a little bit further down in that thread:
290X Fan Test

Had my headphones in - ripped them out when it hit 100%.
What's the CPU HSF in that video? It's total :stare:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Noctua, you can tell by the fan colors. Specifically, I'd say it's the NH-C12P or, less likely, the NH-C14.
I'd be scared to mount that to my mobo, even with a backplate. :ohdear:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Krailor posted:

A lot of companies use an absurdly high initial price when inputting data for an item they know will be a hot seller but don't have pricing data for yet. That way once the price is announced they only have to update one field and they can immediately start selling.
Why wouldn't you just list it as out of stock?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is probably a stupid question, but with both the PS4 and Xbone using Radeon graphics, should we expect desktop Radeons to give us better performance for the next half dozen years?

edit: v Is that because GeForces have a performance lead or because it just doesn't matter?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 15, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Newegg currently has a pricing mistake on a Sapphire 7970 3GB GHz Edition for $220 after $20 rebate. I was half-heartedly looking for a replacement for my 560 Ti this holiday shopping season and I think I just found it.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 16, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My 7970 GHz Edition just came in. If I want to compare numbers between it and the 560 Ti it's replacing, is 3DMark still the benchmark of choice?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 21, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If anyone wants to buy my 560 Ti for SLI or whatever, I've listed it on SA Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3587289

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nostrum posted:

Being the sane person that I am, I asked my wife if it was OK if I blew $1100 on computer watercooling parts and crossfire R9 290s.

Being the sane woman that my wife is, she pulled up my Steam library and asked me which game I had spent the most time playing recently.

It was Borderlands 2. At 1920x1200.

"And do you ever get below 60 fps, even with PhysX to high?"

"No..."

"Then let's go on a vacation instead, ok?"

And that was that.
I'm jealous your wife knew to ask that. :allears:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah well I got my 7970 GHz Edition for $220 so... yeah. :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

beejay posted:

Agreed, you may have jumped on the 780Ti train too soon. Report: EVGA Making GTX 780 Ti Kingpin for Overclockers
Running BF4 at 2560x1440 only uses 1.8GB on my 7970GE :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Guni posted:

Out of curiosity, what frames do you get and at what settings?
I requested a refund and deleted the game, but with everything maxed out, I want to say FPS was always 50-60. Any frame drops were never noticeable, and I can definitely tell the difference between 30 and 60fps.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Straker posted:

Holy christ, retard litecoin miners are buying 7970s for $350 now (as everyone in this thread should know, they are worth only like $240 new). Great time to ebay yours (or likely any good ATI card) if you're due for an upgrade! I wonder if I could get $600+ for my 7990...

edit: seriously, what the gently caress, $400 for a USED 7970 GHz. I guess the price has gone crazy because of the "lack of supply", they're too stupid to buy 280Xes instead. Now I'm sad I didn't go with crossfired 7970s after all...

edit 2: holy crap 7990s are going for over $800, I know what I have to do now
Just listed my 2 week old 7970 GHz edition for $399 Buy It Now. Come on bitcoiners!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Just listed my 2 week old 7970 GHz edition for $399 Buy It Now. Come on bitcoiners!
Annnd we're sold!

Actual question for the thread. The 7970GE was overkill for my needs. If my most demanding gaming is Civ 5 and Counter Strike: Global Offensive at 1440p, what would be a "good enough" card? 760?

edit: woops forgot about the parts picking thread

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 4, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Straker posted:

Yeah, litecoin miners bought like everything it seems. Oh well, I can wait, I'll be out of town for 10 days starting next monday.

ahem

My 7990 just sold for A THOUSAND loving DOLLARS, guess I should have set it a little higher. Too bad ebay fees eat $100, would have been nice to double my initial investment :v:

edit: actually it looks like litecoin mining is somewhat lucrative right now, my 7990 could be making ~$850/month after power costs etc. but it's probably going to suffer from massive difficulty increases with all this new attention, and then I can't play games and my card is going to be louder and hotter than it already is, and I don't imagine litecoin exchanges behaving for very long before they start getting prosecuted, stop letting customers take their money out etc. etc.
We might have been able to get a little more, but you never know when the bubble is going to pop, so I think we should just be happy with our profits and move on.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

For the past year I've filmed myself tossing electronics into the box and handing it to the post office clerk. The ultimate protection against eBay chargebacks.
Unless it's one continuous video, how do you prove you didn't video taping up the box, then removing the card then retaping the box?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Straker posted:

can't unlock anything made after production week 38 or something like that, so it's unlikely, and most 290s are out of stock anyway, only option right now is Asus and I don't think those are flashable at all :(

edit: mother gently caress, newegg just ran out of those too. loving miners!

I had one of the X800 Pros that unlocked to an XT, that was an even better trick. I don't feel too bad about missing out this time around since I'm flipping this 7990 so hard already and because the 290X seems pretty unimpressive for $150ish more :)
Seriously, miners are buying up pretty much all video cards at the moment. Good thing I'm looking to replace my sold 7970GE with a 270. Nobody wants to buy those :smug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Are you sure a 270 is enough for 1440p? I know in the Parts Picking Thread you mentioned looking at the 270, 270X, and the 760, but the 270 and 270X are essentially re-branded 7850s (though fully enabled) and 7870s, while the 760 is a re-badged and slightly tuned GTX 670. For Civ 5 at 1440p, the 760 outperforms a 270 (essentially the 7870) by a good margin.

I would either check to see if there are still some deals to be had discount-wise, or maybe check with forum member Synthetik - I know he advertised some new-in-box 2GB 760s a month or so back for $175 each I think, so that'd be a huge steal if it he has more available now (he had mentioned more were incoming in his original sale post).
It's definitely a borderline case, but even if I drop down to 40 fps occasionally, I don't play anything too seriously so it's unlikely to impact my experience. Hell, I was doing 1440p with my 1GB 560Ti until 2 weeks ago, though to be fair, the most I threw at it was Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. I would like to go for a 760, and in the grand scheme of things, it's probably worth the extra $55 over a 270, and I'll have until the morning to mull it over.

According to Slickdeals at 3:30am this morning, there was a Powercolor 7950 on Newegg for $150 after $30 rebate but the miners cleared it out within 15 minutes of the post. The question is whether I want to wait for everything to come back in stock after this wave of miner buying, or whether I want to get something now that's bundled with a game in the hopes of selling that to offset the cost.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 5, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

eXXon posted:

This chart claims that R9 280x's are just as good as 7970's for litecoin mining.

If I'm to believe this calculator, an R9 280x does roughly 10 litecoins per month, which are "worth" $35 each, so that's $350/month. At load, the Asus 280x draws 350W from a typical system, so for a typical cost of $0.20 /kwH, it's $8.40/day or about $250/month, or $100 profit.

Unless the litecoin price keeps going up and the bubble inflates for another month or two, this whole exercise seems even stupider than at first glance. You have to believe that this nonsense will go on for another 2-3 months without even factoring the cost of all of the other hardware if you're buying computers just to mine, or paying a $200 premium for cards makes no sense at all. If you're a sane person and just want to do it with an existing rig when you're not gaming, ehhh.
Litecoins will trade much higher than $35/mo over the next month, I guarantee it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Agreed posted:

Barely, and we'll see how long that holds up now that the difficulty is going to start ramping up with a couple months of slow-burn megaminer kits put together (like that one guy who, after fronting all that cash, mines about $20k per month - where do you get money out of this thing at, isn't magic: the gathering online exchange frozen? what's the other place to turn coins into money?) followed by the last couple of days of literally cleaning out stock on older cards and paying current-gen prices or higher for last-gen cards.
Mt. Gox doesn't support Litecoin trading at the moment, but large exchanges like BTC-E do.

For shits and giggles, I decided to do some mining until I ship out my 7970GE. I set it up w/default setting, and threw my Core i5 3570K into the mix as well. In the last 11 hours or so, I've mined 0.12 Litecoins, which at current exchange rates is worth... $4.24. So in one day I can make $9.25, and over a month I can make about $250 after power.

I just ordered an factory OC'ed ASUS 270. Who wants to buy my BF4 download code? :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Grim Up North posted:

I don't get it, are there really people who choose one card over another just because someone's lljk handle is printed on it?
Think of how rich Fatal1ty is now :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

Obviously. :colbert: But mining has been a substantial impact for many AMD card owners / perspective owners and folks interested in selling their AMD cards. Especially since it's been the prevailing reason why many vendors, such as Newegg, have been out of stock.

For those of you who were holding out on buying an AMD card on the cheap when the bubble burst, you may want to keep an eye out. :woop: Litecoins are tumbling and before too long people are going to be looking to offload their 7970's, 280's, 290's, etc. in a hurry.
I wonder if the Ebayer who bought my 7970GE on Wednesday will try to sell it back to me for cheaper now :P

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SourKraut posted:

So I go to see what the prices are on a couple of 7970 Ghz Editions that I'm possibly interested in, and see that the prices of almost all of the 7970s are now $500-600 on Newegg. This Bitcoin/Litecoin nonsense needs to end.
IIRC, prices get weird when items are out of stock, though I suppose there's no reason Newegg couldn't jack up prices.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why do Nvidia drivers install virtual audio by default? That just seems like it's asking for pissed off users.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm going to start a venture capital fund to buy up all the Maxwell cards on the market then resell them for a 50% markup. Who's in? :smug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Back in 2003, Intel said quantum tunneling is why Moore's Law would hit a wall between 2013 and 2018.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

God drat, 290's are cheap as gently caress.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-AM...=item35d6814f4c

Someone sold 63 3m old 290's for $199 each.
It looks like it was just that one seller. :negative:

*tells myself my 760 for $199 is good enough for D3 and SC2 @ 1440p*

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 15, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Strategy posted:

Just scored 2 MSI TwinFrozr R9 290s still under warranty for $550, thanks crypto-currency mining.
Must resist temptation to upgrade from 760 :negative:.

Also, I don't think warranty works without the original purchase receipt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How exactly are you going to get an eBay seller to transfer the warranty to you?

I have a question about where the 290/290x will rank a year from now. At that time, I assume the 290/290x be the equivalent of a 280/280x today, so with a 280x from a reputable OEM going for $300 today, a mining-used 290 for $275 or 290x for $300 seems like the better choice.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 21, 2014