Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

If you want a 290/290x probably worth contacting him to see if hes gonna list more. Dude had a million dollar mining operation.
He has a single 290 up in a non-Buy It Now auction, probably a buyer from last week who didn't pay up, so it seems like he might be done. Still, I messaged him and I'll report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

He has a single 290 up in a non-Buy It Now auction, probably a buyer from last week who didn't pay up, so it seems like he might be done. Still, I messaged him and I'll report back.
This is what I got:

quote:

Hello there, I just listed 1 about 1/2 hour ago - please check my listings.
I don't anticipate to have more any time soon - we should get a pallet of more cards maybe next month but I don't know what will be on it..
I also have an auction going for HD 7990 and some others
Then these will be listed by tomorrow:

SAPPHIRE HD 7970

SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280X

SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X

SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 270X - only 4 pieces

GIGABYTE HD 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD - only 12 pieces

GIGABYTE R9 280X - 7 of each rev. 2.0 and 1.0

MSI R9 270X HAWK

MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G - only 10 pieces

- fdcdeals

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I checked the ASUS RMA form and they only request a serial as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SourKraut posted:

FYI - He just put these up, and has them listed as new / never used for $169.99.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=231240069117
Son of a bitch, those sold immediately!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Gigabyte WindForce 290 is pretty great. I can't really hear I above my system fans.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DrDork posted:

I got a Sapphire Tri-X OC 290 off a guy on Amazon. Box arrived and I noticed there was an extra letter on the box--a trailing X. Yeah, the genius sent me a 290X--for which he'd paid $700 not even two months prior--for the price of a used 290. And it works perfectly--overclocked it to 1125/1425, even. Sometimes you get lucky, I guess.

Basically buy the poo poo out of these cards idiots are dumping at hilarious prices, and reap the benefits of buttcoiner's tears.
The fact that this happened with a card that isn't even covered by warranty (Sapphire) makes this even more lucky.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SwissCM posted:

Nvidia don't seem to care about it. See PhysX.
Seriously. Remember when PhysX was a separate company and people would buy the PCI cards? Okay, maybe they didn't sell much, but Nvidia buying PhysX was supposed to usher in a new era in gaming.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Is the 290x ref cooler really that bad? Link?
The 290/290x blower can get fairly loud, but it's not obnoxious. Only the early releases have it though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

That's subjective. IMO 60 decibels is INCREDIBLY obnoxious. I mean, sure, I dumped a ton of money into a GPU mod so my system has a noise ceilingof ~25 dBA, but really: 60 dBA is crazy for background white noise.
Sure, noise is subjective, but having heard an R9 in person, it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Well I just won a miner 290x for $300 shipped. Yay me!
Link to auction?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hace posted:

Looks like AMD's answer to Shadowplay is starting to mature a little bit: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8224/...client-game-dvr

It's still bit buggy (especially with the framerate), and it's still attached to Raptr, but it still has a ridiculously low performance hit and great quality (although it shares Shadowplay's 4:2:0 color problem).
This was the only feature I was a little remiss about when I sold my 760 for a mining 290, but it looks like I don't need to worry anymore!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it just me or is the 970 a marginally better 290? Looking through the benchmarks, there are a couple games where the 290 outperforms so it's not simply an across-the-board win for the 970, but the 970 currently has a lower street price (though it's sold out) for new models. I imagine the supply of 290/290Xs that were being dumped by Bitcoin miners in early summer has run out, so unless you're really budget constrained to $250 all-in for a used 290, there's literally no reason not to choose the 970 instead.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 24, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

The only thing I noticed in the user reviews of the Zotac 970 is that the card apparently runs hot and the cooler slightly struggles with it. I don't have any additional fans in my PC, so should I wait for a MSI to be available?

Sorry for blitzing you all with questions!
Zotac cooling has been subpar since at least the 500 series.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AirRaid posted:

Without any prior knowledge of the problem and no prompting from anyone I just peeled the drat sticker off carefully in the first place. Little common sense here maybe? Sure the glue is a bit much and they maybe should have thought of that but who is hamfistedly tearing that poo poo off in the first place?
Never underestimate the stupidity of people, especially geeks.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rastor posted:

AMD has made their first response: the R9 290 has been reduced by $100 (from $399 to $299) and the R9 290X has been reduced by $150 (from $549 to $399).
AMD feels like the Washington Generals to Intel/Nvidia's Harlem Globetrotters.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There was some notion that Nvidia skipped the 800 series to use for notebook cards, but they're just going with 980M and 970M: http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/07/...-performance-a/ What's up with that?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't 970's literally 980's with some shaders turned off etc?
Speaking of which, when this happens, is it a firmware thing (and therefore hackable) or are they disabled via hardware?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How stupid is it to sell my 290, which I assume I'll get $200 for after fees and shipping, then buy a 970 for $350, just to satisfy my OCD of having a lower power, more performance efficient card? I do have a 1440p primary, but I don't game that much.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

craig588 posted:

MSIs seem to have problems with the fan motors failing, possibly made worse by a "remove before using" sticker using too strong of adhesive. Even cards with the redesigned sticker have had problems with early fan failure though.

Zotac had problems with underpowered power delivery on launch, they promised a bios update that would fix that, but I haven't been following them closely so I don't know if they've delivered on it yet or not.

All of the issues cards have come from the open air coolers or overclocking models. If you just want a reference blower model EVGA is probably the best with their warranty, but all of the cards should be otherwise identical thanks to Nvidia setting up minimum standards everyone has to meet. I'd get a reference blower before I'd risk a 3rd party designed cooler with a history of problems.

The reference cooler is still quieter than previous generations of cards.

Those are blowers on previous cards though, which we pretty much agree might be loud enough so as to annoy you.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No one else answered, so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Drivers

They were very well made third-party drivers.
God, I remember dealing with that poo poo when I was running an Inspiron 8600 w/Radeon 9600 back in the day.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 6, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We have a 3D TV. Frame interpolation looked strange to me at first, as did the first Hobbit movie in 48fps, but it looks normal to me now.

I haven't seen the subsequent Hobbits in theaters.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What about everyone in Europe using 25 fps?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

Today's GTX 960 leaks are dire.
It's a GM204 cut in half but they stepped hard on the clockspeed to edge out a benchmark lead over the 760, 1200+ MHz out of the box = 120W and the same cooling needed as a 970.
Somehow they managed to make a card that's less attractive than the 2GB Tonga.
Maybe they overshot with the 970 and are trying to overcompensate with the 960.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

SHOTS FIRED, REQUESTING BACKUP, REPEAT, SHOTS FIRED

I will straight up trade my Gigabyte WindForce R9 290 for a GeForce 970.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a 290 so I don't expect to upgrade anytime soon, but I also have a Korean dual-DVI 27" monitor. Should I assume that any card I'll upgrade to in the next few years will only have 1x DVI, and that any monitors I buy going forward must have DisplayPort as opposed to DVI/HDMI?

I've been slowly catching up on this thread since page 375 or so. I love this thread so much .

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SFF is the future. Only poopsockers use mid-towers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Unf, wanna sell my Gigabyte WindForce 290 and get this WindForce 970 instead.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there any scenario where buying that 970 for $270 and selling my 290 for ~$200 after Ebay/Paypal fees and shipping makes sense?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The scenario where you really want a 970. You know you do.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Just promise to OC it and that $70 will seem worthwhile. Also a 290 and a 970 are on the opposite ends of the performance/heat/noise/whatever/blah spectrum so you can pretend like that is another reason

Mutation posted:

If you were planning on buying MGS5 anyways then it's like you're only spending ten dollars!

also the other reasons people stated before, AND that Nvidia's software is much nicer.
I hate you all so, so much. Annnd bought.

Who wants to buy my WindForce 290? Warranty is good through April 2017.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

This is hardly an unknown trick, but tonight set it for a 3 day auction on ebay and start at 0.01. People watch the poo poo out of those and you will pretty much always get what you were going to anyways if not more. The only real tip to this is list so that it ends on Friday or Saturday night
I thought Sunday nights were best for auctions, followed by Tuesday and Thursday?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aside from Freesync (and I don't plan on buying a Freesync monitor anytime soon), is there anything on my 290 I'd be giving up by going to a 970?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My 970 arrived today. I know 3DMark isn't the final word, but the notion that it's 10-15% faster than the 290 is a stretch if you ask me.

Stock 290

Stock 970

That's only a 1.6% difference, basically nothing.

Best I could do overclocking 290 without increasing voltage, 100MHz on core and 0 MHz on memory

Best I could do overclocking 970 without increasing voltage, 200MHz on core and 200 MHz on memory

That's a 5% difference, statistically significant but not really impactful.

At least my e-penis is over 10k, so that's something.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 1, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Is your 290 reference? Reference 290s throttle constantly and are significantly slower than ones with custom coolers.
No, both are Gigabyte WINDFORCE 3X, though the cooler on the 290 is obviously heftier.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mutation posted:

I sold my 280X and joined the 970 club on this computer. It's good to be back.
We're glad you're back!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Alereon posted:

Yes, but the last inch isn't actually usable.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Trip Report

After Ebay/Paypal fees, shipping, rebates, and selling my Nvidia game code, the 290 -> 970 "upgrade" cost me $65.

At 1440p, with both cards overclocked (and only when overclocked), I get 12-19% higher framerates. Was it worth it? Probably not. Do I regret it? Eh, not really. At least the 970 will have higher resale when I upgrade to an 1170.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 6, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Do you notice or care about a noise/temp difference? Curious how that plays out across 2 overclocked cards.
Temp was never much of an issue. My room is on the ground floor so the ambient temp is always cool.

As for noise, at idle, my 120mm case fans are louder, and while gaming, the audio of the game pretty much drowned out the 290's fans.

I just found out about this though: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...nt-underground/ In high school, I played Descent 3 every day for like a year (until I discovered Counter-Strike), so I'm super hyped. The 970 seems to do a fair bit better than the 290 on Unreal Engine 3 (Bioshock Infinite), so hopefully that'll translate to Unreal Engine 4.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you have a 970/980 whose BIOS doesn't come with a 0% fan at idle option, definitely look into tweaking it. I just did it for my Gigabyte 970 and while it's not necessarily quieter due to my case fans, it's nice knowing it's not drawing in dust necessarily.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Likely end of month
RIP back to school season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I shouldn't feel bad about my Gigabyte 970 OC only have 2 heatpipes while the G1 version has 4 heatpipes if temperature isn't holding me back from overclocking, right?