Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Steve Jobs had peered into the soul of the middle aged man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ufarn posted:

Pretty nuts how almost everyone has to be all GAMER GAMER GAMER GFUEL MOUNTAIN DEW these days. Guess the Razer/Alienware craze became mainstream.

I think the design of the actual card is pretty nice, though. The typography is excellent, too.

And I don't see as many gaudy neon case designs the way I used to tin the 00s where the front always had to look like the locomotive from Hell in the moment before it hits you.
The Antec Sonata saved us all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Hm, I remember the Cooler Master ACTS 200 being one of the most handsome ATX cases, and that came some time before. Lian Li has always made decent looking cases in a sea of plastic poo poo, too.
Not so sure about the Coolermaster...

Lian Li's were generally great but also too expensive.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just lol if you don't buy the Fractal Define R5 in 2017.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

eames posted:

Somebody should make a SH/SC case megathread. I had a couple of questions but wasn't sure where to post them, since this is the GPU thread many seem to have the same problem :v:
The parts picking megathread covers cases.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m still running a 3570k and 970 because my gaming consists of Diablo 3 at 1440p 60Hz. Am I stupid for considering the 3080 to pair with a new 27” 1440p 144hz monitor? I probably won’t upgrade until next gen Ryzen comes out so I’ll probably try to snag some holiday deals but not finish the build until January.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inept posted:

If you're only playing D3, your 970 by itself can probably run it at 100+ FPS. A 3080 is ridiculous overkill for that, and will be severely limited in modern games by a 3570K. Probably better to wait until you're ready to upgrade everything.
Yeah I wouldn’t get a 3080 by itself but I’m planning to build a new PC once the new Ryzen comes out. In theory I would play more AAA games with a new system, but who knows, especially if I also get a console. Still, if a 3080 is only $200 more than a 3070, that seems like a no brainer when I’m looking at a $1500 total system budget and a system that will last me upwards of 7 years. My 3570k was built in May 2012 and only got a RAM upgrade and 970 in 2014.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 1, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

repiv posted:

they've gotta be somewhat competitive with the new consoles launching in a few months that will give pretty good performance for 500bux or whatever
PS4 and Xbone launched half a year after the $650 780. The 980 was then released at $550.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

0.27 is gonna be optimistic for me in Fortnite

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I'm an old fart that hasn't built a computer in 8 years, and hasn't thought anything about computer building in the entire time since. Why the gently caress does everything suddenly have glowy bits on them. And uh, can you get them without or tun them off? I have no desire to see the inside of my computer throwing a rave while i'm trying to work CAD.
I’ve been watching a ton of Linus videos during quarantine and his obsession with RGB has rubbed off on me a little bit, but considering my PC is in my bedroom and I’m in my mid 30s now, I’d rather my tower be quiet, sleek, and stealthy like when the Fractal Define R3 was all the rage.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rexxed posted:

No window, no RGB probs. Black monolith cases forever.
I wish that were true, but you know that poo poo is leaking through the fan vents, especially if you have a vent over the GPU location.

Speaking of which, how come the Fractal Define line went out of favor? Is it because people are just buying minitower cases now without 5 1/4" bays? Is the approach now to have fans intaking the entire front and buy an external Blu-ray drive if you need to read something?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nvidia released 3090 is a joke and so many people now gonna bite bc it doesn’t say Titan on the box :thunk:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I went nvme just to do away with clunky storage

Less power consumption and better airflow too
You need heatsinks for NVME drives which I think a lot of people overlook.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What’s with this proliferation of 450W PSUs? My 3570K/970 system from 2012 has a 650W Antec and that’s only because I never planned to get a flagship GPU. I have 4 HDDs though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol at everyone gonna spend $1500 on a video card because it says 3090 instead of Titan

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

AMD is behind Nvidia at the high-end, but in the mass market they sell plenty of GPUs and they sleep soundly at night
If the Steam survey is any indication, this isn’t true. And the 1060 is tops there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There isn't necessarily any contradiction here
When you have 2 cards in the top 24 that’s not great. The top 24 represent 60.76% of the install base and you have 3.45%.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 8, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I'm kinda skeptical any of the 3xxx cards are going to overclock much on air or with AIO water cooling.

I think they're pushing Samsung's 8nm as hard as they can to get they clocks they're shipping with hence all the heat and huge rear end coolers for stock HSF's. Its not the sort of thing they'd do unless they had no other choice.
Yeah one thing to remember is that the silicon lottery is way more important than thermals when it comes to overclocking potential.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sphyre posted:

been looking a bit closer at all the AIB cards in preparation for the drop and i gotta say fellas

theyre all ugly as poo poo
It’s fine. Your case doesn’t have a window.

... does it? :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It seems to me the 3090 cooler is designed to run in multi-GPU setups in data centers since it’s a Titan after all. Less airflow means more surface area is needed to manage thermals.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

repiv posted:

Remember that photo of RTX3080s on benches allegedly from a crypto mine, that started the "ampere is insanely sick at mining" rumour?

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1303952072778436608

nevermind lol
Makes you wonder who would want miners to pursue these cards :thunk:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sanity check, I keep looking at photos and videos of the FE cooler, and my brain tells me that the "blow through" fan is actually set up to push, and not pull like how Nvidia's presentation slides show. Something about that fan blade design makes it look like a conventional fan that should be pushing air downwards, instead of something that moves air through the upwards through the fin stack, past the PCB, and upwards to case fans.

That fan to me looks like if powered, would push air down into the table, and not like, y'know, this:

Surely they aren't just using a conventional fan, but wired the plug in reverse to make it spin backwards?
It does go "backwards" for softer acoustics. Discussed at 10:40:

jisforjosh posted:

No benchmarks but some hands on overview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxJDdRgs7Lw

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Encrypted posted:

BHphoto is fine. Got a lot of camera gears from them before including some lenses that weren't sharp and they had no problem taking it back within 30 days.

One of the classic thing that insane photographers do is place order for multiple of the same lens eg. 16-35 2.8L III that's like 2~3k each, test all of them to find the sharpest copy and return the rest.
I may or may not have opened up 5 boxes of stainless steel trash cans at Costco after returning one bc the lid was fractionally misaligned. :coal:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Literally this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbNZxX2MIFM

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All of you gaming at 4K, what size monitor do you have? 27” is way too small DPI for desktop use and 32” basically means you can’t go dual monitor.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All the reviews focusing on comparing it to 2080 Ti are flawed. Yes it should be faster and it is by 25%, but the proper comparison is the 2080. Just because reviewers got them for free doesn’t change the fact that almost nobody bought a $1200 video card.

edit: apparently Steam survey says 2080 is 0.96% and 2080Ti is 0.91% so they basically had the same sales? :psyduck:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 16, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKK

This was the card in my very first build, well the V6600 Deluxe with 3D shutter glasses. I think I tried it once in CS and it wasn’t very good.

I should’ve gotten the DDR version which I think was the V6800 but the SDR version was already very expensive (for the year 2000).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

shrike82 posted:

:rip:

this seems like an unusually supply constrained launch
wonder what's the cause
I think it’s been widely reported that Samsung’s process has poo poo yields.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A Proper Uppercut posted:

My first video card was back in like 2002 or something, it was a 4600 TI, which apparently was a really good card at the time. I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing, I went to fuckin Electronics Boutique and ordered one our of a catalog.

When it came in and I went to pick it up, the employee asked me how it felt to have the fastest video card in the world. It was embarrassing as poo poo
I replaced my Kyro II (anyone remember those with the sexy blue PCB?) with a Ti4200 in 2002 that was an open box from Best Buy that I randomly happened upon, possibly for around $80? The Ti4200 came in a version with faster 64MB or slower 128MB and apparently they performed similarly? Crazy. I had a 19” NEC FE950+ so I was probably at 1600x1200 which is basically the same number of pixels as 1080p.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

I had the Monster Sound and I remember the punk girl screaming looking like the lead singer if No Doubt

The card and I remember that baby poo poo green CD saving my rear end so many times in college.

My Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer came with Descent 3 which was the first game I ever got addicted to. Took my saved birthday money, walked to the local Walmart and bought a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D.

A few months later I discovered Counter-Strike and it basically ruined me in high school.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Do these people just allow their eBay feedback to be tanked when the buyer realizes it’s a scam?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Carecat posted:

FYI they close the accounts of people who refund too much
Can’t you just open a new one with a new email?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

ebay is so buyer friendly generally that in the rare cases where these don't get caught before money changes hands, well, your money isn't going to clear from paypal until the buyer has it and then they have a good period to make a complaint likely to be sided in their favor
That’s what I mean, these aren’t new throwaway seller accounts. I can’t imagine throwing away 15 years of feedback for $800.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bezos is definitely someone who likes to watch :quagmire:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

When she's right she's right. It's not like you can do anything else.
Netflix and chill

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hardcore Borderlands player? Is there such a thing?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Radeon Boost is just dynamic resolution? :thunk:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Undercutting 3080 by $50 isn't going to sway anyone if it's just comparable

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Regular 6800 for $579 is uh... not a great value proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rinkles posted:

funny that focused on the 2080ti price, rather than you know, the 3070's
They probably couldn't get a 3070 to test. The tests were done about 10 days ago.