Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't even try to keep up with GPUs until the 3 or so month run-up of my intended purchases because it's just so drat confusing.

I also only seem to buy a new graphics card every 3-6 years so it makes it even more apparent how the naming schemes make no sense.

Riva 128zx
Geforce 256
Geforce 2 MX400 (as part of an nForce chipset)
Geforce 6600GT
Geforce GTX 460

I can't even pretend to follow the Radeon line recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

eames posted:

Why is Intel suddenly so successful in the IGP department after trying (and failing) so hard for so many years? :confused:

It's the same reason as why they are seeing success in the mobile (handheld) market. Their manufacturing process is catching up to the talent of the design engineers.

Intel's manufacturing process is their greatest strength and I think that may drive their success in mobile and GPUs more than anything else. Nvidia, Apple, Qualcomm, and AMD are all competing for manufacturing space in 3rd party fabs like TSMC as well as having restrictions of the capability of these fabs. Intel has no such problem. Their chip designers and fabrication engineers can work side by side to smooth out manufacturing and Intel may be the excess capacity that the market needs to keep up with increasing demand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Given the current gen console lifespan, I don't know how Sony or Microsoft could get away with NOT providing backward compatibility.

Let's face it, no matter how good things look on paper, not many people are saying "I feel so bound by the hardware limitations of the current generation consoles!" (aside from PC gamers, that is.)

The leap from the xbox to the xbox 360 and the PS2 to the PS3 was much higher than the leap we are going to see from the current gen to next gen. A new $400 console (at launch) is a much easier sell when you can tell people "That will also replace your aging, noisy, Xbox 360 elite that somehow hasn't managed to RROD yet."

Ultimately, I would think BC would best be solved by some sort game streaming down the road. If both were using some sort of Nvidia chipset, I could easily see that happening, but since they are AMD, not so much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Factory Factory posted:

Why not? AMD has its own streaming game plans, and GCN hardware has a standalone video encode/decode engine the same as Kepler and Sandy/Ivy Bridge

I actually didn't know that AMD had their own streaming plans.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Spatial posted:

You mean "Aside from every developer ever".

Devs yeah, but there's only so much graphical information that can been seen on an 40" 1080p screen at 8 feet.

Smoothing out the framerate is a definite plus. However, I'm just pointing out that last gen jumped from SD to HD and this gen is going to stay on HD so one parameter isn't changing as significantly. It's going to take a lot for people to say "We couldn't play this on the current generation of consoles?"

Tezzeract posted:

Through the funny thing is that most console gamers don't seem to care too much about BC. Sure it's a way to beef up the library, but console owners bought the system to play "current-gen" games. And are also more than happy to get HD remakes.

That depends on the segment of the market you are sampling. Some are latest and greatest, some only have the time to work through a game every other month or so and have a big backlog of current gen stuff they would want to play. Emphasis on DLC and other out of game items (Skylander collections for example), means that some people aren't going to want to give up the old so easily.

I just wonder if maybe Microsoft will be able to die shrink the current Xbox SoC and just include it wholesale in the next gen console. It was confirmed that the current slim console doesn't have a newer SoC than the iteration before it, so there's likely room to go smaller, cooler, and cheaper yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Space Gopher posted:

Well, for one, the current generation of consoles has a hard time running at native 1080p. The standard trick is to render the 3D scene at 720p (or sometimes even less!), scale it to 1080p, and then put 2D UI stuff over the top of that. There's plenty of room to play with GPGPU processing; neither current console supports it. And, in the rest of the system, more RAM means nicer textures, larger levels, and so forth. A faster CPU (and that GPGPU integration) means more sophisticated procedural animation and more complex gameplay. There's plenty of room for improvement.

I don't doubt that there is room for improvement. I'm just saying, when was the last time visuals were the selling point of a game? They are going to have to do more to the next gen console line than stuff more HP under the hood. If the increased processing power doesn't translate to anything other than traditional gameplay with more spit and polish, I don't think the uptake is going to be all that swift.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jan posted:

Pretty much all the loving time on PC, and probably even consoles. Skyrim comes to mind.

Most commercials for games involve elaborate pre-rendered scenes of scripted events. Real gameplay and graphics hardly EVER make it any sort of marketing materials.

About the only game in 2012 that I remember graphics being any part of the marketing was Far Cry 3 touting the lush environments.

quote:

You guys are arguing against needing new consoles because we don't have any better graphics, when it's the other way around. :psyduck:

It's not that so much as "Are the vast majority of mainstream gamers going to drop $500+ for a system and accessories for improved graphics."

I get that PC gamers are frustrated at the bottleneck that consoles tend to place on games and that SO much more could be done with modern hardware. I just don't know that it's a hugely marketable feature nor something that's going to greatly increase profit with the game studios.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 23, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I thought that Nvidia was releasing the 700 series this summer?

They are, but it's just a Kepler refresh on the same die size. There's no new architecture or die shrink this year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Joink posted:

Is 4k really a thing for laptops now? When i first heard about it for tv's, it seemed like it only was worth it for the super sized screens.

I'd rather have it on a laptop than a TV.

Text rendering on a high DPI display is much more beneficial than things like TV and movies.

I really want my nexus 10 screen in a similarly sized ultrabook.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

Currently the 980Ti is a freaking beast, but it can't even keep up with maxed detail for games like Elite or Project CARS in VR. The Rift's ATW works magic to keep things from kicking you in the gut even at 50FPS, but you don't want to stay there forever. Here's hoping that Pascale's Ti can be the one to deliver the performance we need to stay at that sweet 90FPS+ mark in the games the 980Ti can't today.

What I'm trying to figure out at this point is the subjective difference between the 970 and 980Ti since as you say the Rift has nice magic to smooth out the lows.

I haven't bought a new graphics card since the GTX 460 which has honestly been fine for most of my gaming, but I have a rift on preorder. I can easily buy a 980Ti, I feel a bit foolish for spending $600 on a graphics card, but it's not going to break the bank or anything. But if Pascal is going to be a HUGE jump at the same pricepoint next summer and the 970 isn't a subpar experience with the Rift, I'm thinking it would be better to go that route and save the $300 in the near term.

I have some time still, when I preordered my Rift wasn't supposed to ship until May and that's possibly been pushed back now. However, I sure as poo poo don't want that thing showing up and having to wait for a GFX card to ship before I can use it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Paul MaudDib posted:

It all depends on whether you literally must have the latest-and-greatest, or whether the best card of the last generation would also be OK.

That's the $500 million dollar question right now. I think some of us are fumbling because we have no frame of reference.

I'm not a hardcore gamer. I get on kicks with certain games and play them all the way through, but it may be months before I pick up another. Traditionally, it's been pretty straightforward. I either tolerate some frame drops or I turn down detail. VR is just a whole other thing. You have to ask yourself if performance will lower the level of immersion or introduce motion sickness. It's no longer about just tolerating some sub-par framerate during intense scenes, it can ruin the entire experience.

Why pickup VR if not a hardcore gamer? The long and the short of it is I'm in my mid 30s and I've been hearing about VR all my life. Last time VR was hyped up, I was in my late teens in the 90s and I've been waiting for that experience to live up to promises. Because of that, I'm going to be like a 5 year old at Christmas when that box shows up, I don't think I could tolerate sitting it in the corner for a month or two until the next card releases show up.

But, as Solvency noted, I'm not to keen on buying the top end at the end of it's lifecycle without some deep discounts. The discounts will come eventually, it's just a matter of when and what will torture me more (paying too much for a card or letting my Rift sit until the new hardware comes.)

Mostly just venting, I don't expect anyone to have any huge words of wisdom since no one has any more information right now. Timing is just bad right now all the way around. It seems like a miss by Nvidia and AMD. If they would have had newer high end options ready for the launch of these headsets, I think they would have moved a LOT of high margin product.

Right now I guess it's going to be watch and wait.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sigh.

I see 20+ replies to this thread and I think "oh, AMD decided to preempt Nvidia's announcement on Friday" only to see two dozen posts about regional purchasing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Regardless on whether real world shows as much headroom over a 980ti under normal applications, the VR enhancements make it totally worth it to me.

Also, the power consumption means that it should consume maybe 20w more than my GTX460 which means I can get away with not buying a new power supply.

Hopefully supply won't be constrained too much. My rift ships between June 6th and 16th, so the timing couldn't be more perfect as long as they don't get backordered for months.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're targeted at the types who have custom signatures displaying their system specs on their OCUK and [H]ardForum signatures.

Or people who desperately need a card at the beginning of June to keep their $600 VR from being a paperweight :(.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The whole reason why I would want a new graphics card is VR, so selling it to buy a new card is a solution O. Henry would be proud of.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Multi-Projection stuff in Pascal is a huge deal for VR. You can't discount the ability to do single pass.

That immediately puts the 1080 and 1070 on a longer longevity path than any card that lacks that ability since as the resolution of the VR displays scale, those cards will be at a distinct advantage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cost wasn't even that much of a concern for me, I could stomach $200 over normal to get the tech into a monitor. The problem is what's available. If I could get a 4k Dell IPS monitor in the upper 20" range I would easily pay upwards of $750 for it. It could even be only 60hz.

But, something like that doesn't exist.

In theory, the Asus PG27AQ is the right monitor, but it's about $150 too expensive and has atrocious QC.

Seriously, just slap a gsync module into the P2715Q and I would be willing to pay a $200 premium on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

All this founders vs 3rd party card talk really factors down to one thing, availability.

If 3rd party 1080 designs are available in quantity in mid June. Fine, it's worthwhile to wait if you are sitting on a card prior to 9x0.

If 3rd party designs aren't going to be available until late July/ early August (it later), gently caress waiting.

Unfortunately, nothing about the embargo lifting tackled availability and quantity. So we are left guessing.

All I know is if the Founders 1080 sells out in less than a day and you can't easily get your hands on a 1080 3rd party design until September, I'm going to be PISSED for not jumping at one immediately upon release.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's hard to say since this is new silicon on a new process that's ALSO using a new type of memory.

There are too many variables to predict. It depends on both the yield of GP104 and the yield of DDR5x.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Speaking of preorders.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/160399/20160523/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-preorders-sell-out-in-minutes-on-amazon-best-buy-and-newegg.htm

I'm calling bullshit on this. There's no way all major retailers would jump street at the same time, in the middle of an afternoon, on a Sunday.

Newegg still has them all listed as 'coming soon' and no notification email went out saying they were in stock.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whelp, went ahead and preordered the EVGA one at Fry's. Assuming it's all not one big massive mistake, I should get shipping notification soon enough to know if it's legit when they go up for sale other places. As it stands, estimated delivery is Weds, June 1st.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

And we have the first sucker in the thread :woop:

Better hope EVGA's step-up program goes by dollar value!

Honestly, I don't give a poo poo. I have a rift showing up soon afterwards and have nothing to run it.

$100 is worth not staring at my new toy without being able to use it.

Besides all that, Amex lets me return things within 90 days for any reason. So if the situation ends up being ton better than it's looking, I can always return it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In case anyone cares, it's looking like Fry's may have been a bust. Not long after they were posted here, the links to the products went down. As of this morning, my order changed from arriving June 1st to backordered.

So, either they didn't mean to have it up and backordered is a placeholder until they can actually sell them or their allotment went that quickly.

Won't know until Friday, but it's looking like a very supply constrained launch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Paul MaudDib posted:

Someone posted on a thread in Reddit that they called Frys and "backordered" is how the system shows preorders. Makes some sense, a preorder is a kind of back order.

So unless you actually get a cancellation notice I think you're good.

Well, that's good to hear at least. I'm still only betting 50/50 as to whether will be shipped this week though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Maybe production concerns are unfounded?

Jen-Hsun Huang had this to say in the impact of Pascal on 2nd quarter earnings.

quote:

We're expecting a lot of Pascal. Pascal was just announced for [GeForce GTX] 1080 and 1070, and both of those products are in full production. We're in production with Tesla P100, and so all of our Pascal products that we've announced are in full production, so we're expecting a lot.

So, if they are expecting a big impact from Pascal with only a month left the quarter, it must be shipping in quantity.

He also says the yields at TSMC have been "good".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's looking like the pre-orders from Fry's are going to go out in two waves. A set now and then another set on June 14th. Since I haven't gotten any sort of shipping confirmation, I'm assuming I'm in the latter group.

And, of course, on Weds I get shipping notification for my Rift, a half a month sooner than they said it would arrive. So, I'm going to have a nice shiny new VR headset on Tuesday with nothing to run it. It's almost tempting to kill my order, run down to best buy and pick up an EVGA 970 for $300, and then do the step up program when the custom designs come out. I just wonder how constrained the supply would be in the next 90 days. I would hate to do that and then be stuck with the 970.

What makes that approach extra tempting is that I have Elite Plus status right now with Best Buy, so I have a 45 day return window.

Beyond that, Amex will let me return up to 90 days out. I seem to be protected from multiple directions.

So, I"m having trouble seeing a downside here.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

you can trade up to the FTW edition (it's the only EVGA non-ref PCB at the moment) or wait for their premium PCBs after you play around for a month with your FE

basically you chose the best possible vendor for the founder's edition

Oh, I know. I'm not worried about the founders edition and being able to trade up if I got that. That's specifically why I chose the EVGA one.

I'm just being a big impatient baby about the fact that I'm not going to be able to use my rift for over two weeks after I bought it. (if the shipping stories are true.)

Either that or I just do some of the less graphically intense things and turn down settings, using my XP15 with the 960m. From what I understand, there's no hard cutoff "this will not work", it's just framerate.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 27, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

You also got it at frys, which has 30 days to return it without a restocking fee either way.

IF you can drive to one, just go in, grab whatever the highest open box card is there, and use it until the 1080 arrives and worry about things then.

Closest Fry's is about 400 miles away.

They really need to expand into the east coast.

I can pretty much take the same approach at Best Buy though which is what I was saying since I have a 45 day return policy there. I was thinking about wandering down there later anyways on the EXTREME off chance they have the 1080 in store and no one thought to look for one. If there's an open box graphics card that meets the requirements, I might grab it because I would feel less lovely about returning it later.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mikojan posted:

Just caved in and ordered my 1080 FTW. Mid june can't come fast enough..

I'm upgrading from a 660 GTX, this is going to be mental.

Where did you order from? EVGA's website just has that version as auto-notify.

The only one that it looks like you can pre-order from EVGA is the ACX 3.0 SC.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can order a 1080 without seeing how the 1070 copes due to reasons like the Doom video posted earlier.

On an mildly OC'd 1080, you get 60+ fps on Doom fully maxed out at 4k. But there isn't a ton of headroom. 60+ fps really translates to 60-75 fps (I saw one blip in the video where it momentarily dropped down to 54 fps.)

So, a 1080 (OC'd a tiny bit), hits the minimum magical FPS level on a brand new AAA title maxed out at 4k. That means that the 1070, no matter how great the value is, won't.

Since I have a 4k display and also plan on using it for VR where more FPS is always really better, I can be very confident that the 1070 (while likely murdering 1080p and 1440p gaming) isn't going to hit my needs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Subjunctive posted:

Perhaps they are concerned about AMD's ability to make a decent profit (recoup their long investment) off those aggressive prices.

That's it basically, margins.

The investors are making assumptions about the cost of the product based on relative performance levels and coming to the conclusion that AMD has a much slimmer profit margin. That could be fine if they were also the volume leader, but they are not.

So, they see the competition killing them on margins and volume.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Smithereens posted:

GTX 1070.

the gtx 1080 is out now, though, so if you can't wait you can just buy that, but it might be overkill for a 60hz monitor.

The GTX 1080 is sold out and backordered everywhere so it's not going to be more expedient to get one of those.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ak Gara posted:

Even a 1080 can't do 120fps @ 1080p or 60fps @ 4k.

I'ma wait for the 1080 Ti.

Doom was posted in this very thread at staying above 60 FPS at 4k with all settings maxed out on a 1080.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

pctD posted:

My Amazon EVGA FTW 1080 should ship to me on June 13th, according to their CS. :pray:

I'm hoping that they closed preorders when they filled their initial allotment.

I cancelled my Fry's preorder and got in on the Amazon pre-order while it was still listed. So, crossing my fingers that this means me as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EVGA is still claiming their FTW cards are shipping next week. Perhaps the guy who reported the B&H news is in a 2nd shipping group or something?

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/740412190235234304

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, at this point I'm tempted to cancel my FTW preorder and just buy the founders edition MSI that appears to be in stock on newegg. I'll pay $20 more, but EVGA just updated guidance that the initial FTW order is going to EVGA.COM only and I'm really questioning what FTW gives me except a slightly quieter cooler. None of the custom designs seem to give more OC headroom so there's very little reason to want custom power phases.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apparently Newegg got a small shipment of 1080 FTW in and people managed to order them and they shipped out.

EVGA forums are going to be in open revolt. :munch:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Riva 128zx (well, first 3d card anyways). I remember running beta drivers for awhile so I could get OpenGL support (only supported D3D out of the box). I also remember running Glide to Direct 3D wrappers so I could run those Voodoo only 3d games on it.

That was also before all this crazy box art was a thing. I think it came in a plain white box.

I still remember the day when I installed the first beta driver that had OpenGL support and fired up Quake 2 and chose the OpenGL render instead of software. Mind blown.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 11, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like 3rd time is the charm. Discouraged that my preorder for the FTW edition may be July at this point, I jumped on a Zotac FE that just popped up on newegg. It actually ends up being cheaper than the FTW due to no tax with Newegg.

It may end up being louder, but I don't really care at this point. I don't exactly have a silent PC anyways. There's just increasing evidence that none of the custom cards are going to have much headway over the founder's edition when it comes to OC unless you start getting crazy with cooling.

I'll keep the FTW order going until I get the Zotac card on the off chance it ships this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Intel did do some illegal things to keep AMD down in the 90s. However, it's really hard to know if that has directly resulted in their current market position. There have been several strategic missteps over the years as well. It's possible that those decisions may have been different if they had a better market position and more cash on hand, but it's harder to draw a clear line to that conclusion.