Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was considering getting a new gpu about a month ago and got 16gb of ram, a tomahawk max and a ryzen 3600 instead as an upgrade from my 4770k with 8gb ram. I currently have an Nvidia 980. So I was thinking of getting an AMD 5700 or 5700xt and was pretty close to pulling the trigger a few times but ultimately decided to wait to see what the next gen AMD/Nvidias looked like. After reading more about driver issues on the 5700's, looks like I dodged a massive bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I had absolutely no idea until this page that it was possible to replace gpu coolers that are not watercooling. Do you just replace it with different air coolers? Is it fairly simple to do if you're not doing watercooling? I did it once with watercooling and immediately wrecked my PC.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

DrDork posted:

It's the same basic process whether it be water cooling or air: remove the old cooler (often the hardest part). Clean off all the old thermal paste gunk real well. Put some new paste on it. Mount the new heatsink, which can vary in complexity: most have some sort of retaining backplate that you slot through the mounting holes and screw the actual heatsink onto, which itself isn't hard. But some, like the Accelero Xtreme IV, also have a backplate heatsink that needs you to deal with thermal pads and cutting holes in a plastic sheet. Others don't. Honestly the biggest difference between mounting water-cooled vs air-cooled is that with air-cooled you don't have to deal with trying to mate the AIO pump to whatever retaining mechanism (G10/12, etc). The purpose-built ones like the EVGA Hybrid kit also skip out on that mating step, but are less flexible in terms of portability to other cards. Otherwise the process is largely the same.

How did you manage to wreck your PC? Leak?

I had dual radeon 4950's or something like that, and the water was only for them, not the CPU. I used worm drive rings for every single other connection but between the GFX cards I had to use some kind of all-metal connector because that's just how it worked. They were a bit further apart than I wanted (the connector was adjustable and I was dumb) and I just pressed them together a bit. A bunch of water ran out of that connecter, the one weak point in my build, and went onto my motherboard. I'd done it because the computer was end of life anyway, so whatever. I got a new everything. Those cards were so loving loud. I learned later when I only had one that the performance in all games was pretty much identical anyway, to having 2 in crossfire. Lol.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I have a non-ti 980 and some of the output ports stopped working. I used to use 2 hdmi and now I have to use 1 displayport and 1 hdmi. it has 2 displayports and 2 hdmi ports. Is this normal for an old GPU? It's probably from 2015/2016 or so.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I know this is all speculation and nobody will be able to give me a definite answer, but:

I'm planning on getting a 3070 or maybe 3080 when they get released. I suppose what I want to know is:

- Typically what are the price differences between 70 and 80 on release?
- Will they all be out of stock instantly?
- Will the various card manufacturers instantly come out with 10 variations on each? or does that come later?
- Typically what are the performance differences between the two? If it's a 200 dollar difference with a 5% performance difference, I'll probably just get the 3070. But on the other hand I want to future proof. A TI is overboard, I'll never get a TI.
- What is a good ram amount these days for future proofing? 8gb? I suppose we'll know more when xbox/ps5 specs are announced?
- What manufacturer is recommended for the cards? I saw someone do a super useful post on EVGA cards a page or two back and if I don't get much input I'll just follow that guide.

I want to future proof by not getting something poo poo but I also don't want to spend like, over about 500 dollars. I currently have an old monitor that's 1200x1920 but I want to get a new one, but I'm not aiming for 4k.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks everyone. Yeah I can go over 500 if I have to. I'd like to get a cool/quiet running 3070 so probably the evga gamer edition card. That just means I won't get the 3080 probably. We'll see what it all looks like, when it's closer to the date! Thanks again for the input.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I think I hosed up with my latest computer update. I got a tomahawk max and a ryzen. Then I realised I needed more USB ports so I put in a card for that. I also needed a better sound solution (optical out) so I put in a card for that too. I have a 980 in there and it's only a 2-slot card but I don't think I have space for a 3-slot. I'm intending to get something good when it comes out in q3. I got the idea from the last 2-3 pages that 3-slot cards are the only quiet ones these days?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

LRADIKAL posted:

Additionally a USB sound device is pretty normal and standard all the way from crappy thing built into a headset to high ohm supporting dongles to audiophile bullshit. Not much need for an actual sound card nowadays.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P6SYQG9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I bought this for my high impedence headphones that my front panel jack couldn't push. I also paid $31 for it, I can't say it's a good deal at 60, but you get the idea.

I got a USB dac (DAC?) on the recommendation of the other thread then found out that it only has stereo out, after I bought it. I have a receiver that I plug optical into, and there's a 5.1 system hooked up to the receiver. Then I looked more into USB dacs and the prices of good ones (all seemed to have reviews that mentioned hissing) and decided to just buy a sound card, and reasoned that I'd probably keep the sound card for about 10 years before I'm forced to get a new one (like I just did) because it won't fit into any of the slots in a new motherboard (like just happened to me), one day.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

repiv posted:

If you have a free PCI backplate on your case you could just use one of these for extra USBs without using an actual PCIe slot on your board

https://www.amazon.com/RIITOP-Female-Connector-Adapter-Bracket/dp/B01KJPUI5W
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Port-Female-Plate-Adapter/dp/B00015Y0FK/

Then the bottom PCIe x1 slot is free for your soundcard and a 3slot gpu should fit above that

I think this would work, thanks!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What do you need the USB ports for?

It looks like that board has 5 regular USB ports and one USB-C port on the back panel, and then whatever case ports you have connected. What are they being occupied by?

Yeah so I have 2 front ports on my case too making 7, which normally have mouse/keyboard. I also use a usb headset for talking to my friends. I don't have usb on my monitor, or a webcam on it so there are no 'usb port' devices. So I have a webcam too, a USB cable for a gamepad, 2 external hard drives, a usb-> bluetooth, and a couple of other things I plug in. I don't need more than about 1-2 extra usb slots.

Also, there's a usb-c? Awesome, I didn't actually know that.

Craptacular! posted:

Redreader why don’t you just replace the Tomahawk with a more fully featured motherboard? You seem like the kind of discriminating person who should look for ALC1000+ audio, optical out, Intel LAN, ample USB connectors, etc.

It just seems like you’re throwing a lot of effort at adding features to a board known for quality VRMs and little else to speak for it.

I admit I didn't really think much about it beyond 'go with what the thread recommends most people'. I didn't check and fully expected an optical out on the motherboard. I realised while I was spending money on the sound card and usb card that if I'd got a better motherboard it'd have all those things, and then I thought "I can use the same usb card and sound card on all of my future motherboards and just carry on buying cheap CPUs and motherboards a bit more often" but now with the "some GPUs take 3 slots" thing I had to reconsider. But yeah it looks like I'll be fine.

Thanks everyone!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Someone posted this a couple of pages back, saying (correct me please, I'm sure I got it wrong) that during the 20xx card release what was previously known as the 80's became the 70's and the 70's became the 60's? Or is that going to happen in the nvidia 30xx series? Surely if the 2080 wasn't a big improvement on the 1080 (also something I read here) then that's a new thing for the 30xx generation.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Zarin posted:

Hmm, it looks like this works (at least on Discord and web browsers and stuff):

I'll have to check it out in a game. Maybe tomorrow or something.

Sorry, I use this on my lovely tv monitor since it doesn't have gamma, and the way you asked your question, I thought you were talking about 'per-app' since you'd already found this setting, and I didn't have anything to add. But yes, I use that and it works on 3d games too.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Shaocaholica posted:

It’s not bizzare. The majority of the hobbiests are children and man babies.

Yeah there's a red light coming out of my tomahawk max, and I didn't really sign on for that but I just blocked the AIR FLOW HOLES IN THE CASE with the big venture bros book, so I'm red-light free. Is there a bios option to turn that red poo poo off?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Will there still be newly-made 2000 series cards when the 3000's come out? Or will they entirely move manufacturing to the 3000 series only?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
When's the next news dump? Is there another Nvidia or ATI conference coming up, or will it probably be the ps5 announcement in early June as people speculate? I'm interested in any of the gaming related graphics news, as I have a pc and plan on getting a ps5 probably.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a 'normal sized' pc case and my 980 fits in there fine with maybe an inch or two to spare. Will I have problems with fitting in a 3070 or 3080? Are the 20 series cards longer than the 900 series? I'm not sure what to expect.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I don't really follow Apple stuff but I like Nvidia products, although a friend worked there a couple of years ago and said he hated it. Anyway, why does Apple not do business with them?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm using a psu from 2013 in my PC and according to what I've read online that might be a bit old, and they should be replaced every 5 years? I'm not sure how many watts it is but I think it's 600, maybe looking on the PSU will solve that. Anyway, is it true or still unconfirmed that the new Nvidia cards will need a new PSU or at least some kind of adapter? Also, how long are the 2080 cards on average? I want to see if my case is big enough for whatever the 3070 equivalent is likely to be

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I've been holding out since swapping my nvidia 770 and $150 for a 980 in 2016, and I just upgraded to a 144hz 2560 × 1440 monitor from a 1920 x 1200. I really want a new card and decided to wait for the 3000 series, as I'm sure I've mentioned before. Who else is in my situation and what are you going to do? I don't intend to buy a TI and the 80 series is normally not really something I can justify the price of, but I'm planning on spending about 600 dollars on a new card. It seems to me like it may be a bad decision to 'wait and see' because of limited supply, but, I don't know. ATI's coming out with something which I don't really plan on buying, some time this year? But maybe it'll influence prices or something.

According to this thread, EVGA has the best return policies so I am planning on getting whatever it is, from them.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
What's the deal with those current 4k consoles? Is it fake or a lie or do games ton at a low fps, or ???

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
When was it actually true that Macs had better graphics than PC's? Because as soon as graphics cards started being made like the voodoo and Riva TNT and whatever was before that, it must have stopped being true. But someone repeated that to me again in maybe 2007.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I have a 144hz 1440p monitor which has g-sync. I suppose the g-sync means that I don't have to worry too much about always being able to hit some kind of fps target, once I get a new video card that supports it. But anyway: if I want to play games with everything on ultra, how many gb of video card ram do I need? Like of course everyone wants the best always, but I'm not planning on buying the best thing that comes out. Does anyone know if there's some kind of rule of thumb like 'if you're doing 1440p you need at least 8gb of ram'?

The only game I played that showed me how much video ram I had vs how much I needed to turn on any option, was resident evil 2. At 1080p, I think I was able to put most stuff but not all of it, on max on my geforce 980. According to google, the 980 has 4gb of ram. I upgraded my monitor recently and just have not been touching any fps type game because I doubt my 980 can really handle 1440p.

So when I read about the new cards having 10gb, but then later there will be a 20 or 24gb card... should I care? is 10 enough for me?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I assume everyone posting GPU lists has read everyone else's list with great interest, so there is actually a point for some people in posting it. I haven't read any but let people have their fun.

My first GPU was a zx spectrum 48k (upgraded from 16k)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
One thing I'm REALLY into is the idea of ray-tracing. I do want to be able to play everything with ray tracing turned on. I suppose if dlss2 becomes widely adopted I won't really have any problems with ray-tracing even with a 3060 but I suppose it's worth waiting for reviews rather than just buying the first thing that comes out. I've got a big enough backlog and ps4 game list that I should be fine for a while longer!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

sean10mm posted:

I remember the upgrade from Hercules to VGA.

:corsair:

That was some crazy poo poo! Cga and hercules having 4? colours, then some guy had an EGA which was 16?, then suddenly there was vga with 256 colours, which was 100% 'photorealistic' and absolutely blew our minds.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I think it would be a great idea for Nvidia to release cards with not enough ram, because the cards are coming out in less than a month and the new consoles aren't. If it were true that there's not enough vram, then they're guaranteeing that people will have to buy better cards next refresh if the console ports perform badly. If they future-proof them, then they'll make less money.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I was going to 'just buy whatever the 3080/3070 is' but now I want to wait and see how these cards all review, how the new AMD cards (no news at all, I assume we'll start hearing rumours in about a month?) review, and wait for the dust to settle. I have enough of a backlog that it's not a big deal. If I have to wait for a month after ordering a card before it arrives, fine. I also don't want to put down $2000 right now because I'd feel like an idiot if I did that then the stock market crashed.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

CactusWeasle posted:

I am still on a GTX 1070. The only reason I didnt buy a 2070 was because 80% of my issue was running out of vram so I sure wasnt going to spend 500~ for a new card with the exact same amount, and sure as hell wasnt spending 1300~ for a Ti. So I am one of the idiots praying for a 16GB 3070 :pray:

I saw a rumour (probably linked here) about a 3070ti which runs a bit better according to the benchmark, than a 2080ti. If it has more than 10gb of ram (i bet 3070 has 8 and 3070ti has 16) I'm willing to buy it and use it for another 4+ years. I just want to be able to do decent ray-tracing at 2k and put everything on 'max/ultra' for at least 2 years, AND have ray-tracing. Ray-tracing is what's making me want to buy the 30 series.

edit: the 2080ti only has 11gb of ram? drat. maybe the 2070ti will have something similar.

redreader fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 21, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Is the 3070 supposed to come later? I figure with a 2k 144hz monitor, I'll just get a 3070 and call it a day. Over my 980 I'll get 4 more gb of vram, ray tracing and dlss compatibility, and g-sync for my monitor. Rather than getting the 3080 for the extra 2gb of vram, I'll just save money and get the next series if I need to. Same as my ryzen 3600, I'll get the cheaper option and upgrade when I feel like I need to.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Does everyone know what the specifications of the AMD gpu's in the new consoles will be? Is that part of their rumoured announcement next month? Since we know they're doing ray-tracing too, what is stopping AMD from having the most commonly used ray tracing hardware on PS5/Xbox/PC, and Nvidia having the most expensive/effective but not well-supported ray-tracing hardware that is only on PC's? Then when games are developed for console then garbagely ported to pc, they'll support AMD ray-tracing by default without any extra effort, and Nvidia users will be left unsupported? If they also come out with cards that are like, 80% as good as the Nvidia cards for 75% of the price but actual real availability this year, isn't Nvidia hosed? I must have the wrong impression because nobody else has mentioned this? (Cue people linking other people with the exact same take)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I'm not ruling out the idea of getting an AMD card. My new lg monitor supports g-sync and freesync. Either way I should be able to get a massive upgrade over my 980.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
When I asked about this earlier in the thread someone said that ray-tracing is being standardized in directx and that Nvidia will have better ray-tracing due to dedicated hardware. AMD's big navi will be on 7nm and doesn't have dedicated ray-tracing hardware, maybe they'll have better standard 3d performance. It's possible that their cards are a cheaper way to get better standard 3d performance if you don't care about ray-tracing. I do, though.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm starting to seriously consider getting a 2080/2070 super or something second hand if they fall a lot in price. Like if I can get a 2070 super for $250 then why not. As I typed this I googled 5700xt and they're still $450 so I suppose no prices will move until the 30 series is actually available.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Cygni posted:

the true geniuses are the ones still using 1280x1024 17in LCDs from 2001. if you never upgrade your monitor, you will never know that there are better things out there and everything will look great! the moment you bring that 1440/4k high refresh rate monitor home, your brain is forever tainted

This literally happened to me. I had a 1920x1200 12 year old lcd, and I just got a 1440p 144hz monitor and I cannot loving WAIT to buy a better video card than my 980

edit: who the gently caress plays video games at friends houses? Whenever my wife and I go and hang out with friends (not since feb or march), we would hang out and eat and talk.

redreader fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 11, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So I have a ryzen 3600 (I don't think I've overclocked it, I put a noctua cooler on it and goons said that the cooler it is, the better it runs (?) ), a geforce 980, 16gb of ram and a tomahawk max.

I was on the final boss of sekiro trying to get my 1440p 144hz monitor setup to just display as many FPS as possible, in the hopes that it would make me have more of a chance at defeating him (it didn't). I had to use an FPS unlocker. The most I could get was about 100-120fps with like, everything turned down and resolution at 480p. So, does this mean that with my ryzen 3600, I will never be able to get 144fps on games really? I suppose that'll be less of a big deal when I finally get a video card that can actually do g-sync or freesync.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Craptacular! posted:

Sekiro is made for consoles. While high FPS + *sync is good for timing focused games like that, in that they give you more room for error with decreased lag, the game should be playable at 60 FPS.

I don’t know your monitor, but based on what you said it sounds like it works with both sync so maybe look for a 1660 Super. Buying anything more expensive than that right now is not advisable.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1660S-Super/2576vs4056

A 1660 super is +16% better for 'effective speed'. I realise it'd have g-sync but I was intending on getting a 3070 for the ray-tracing and 2080ti-like performance, not to mention the extra 4gb of vram. A 2080ti is +170% better according to userbenchmark, so a 3070 would be similar.

I have a 'LG 27GL83A-B 27 Inch Ultragear QHD IPS 1ms NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor'. Right now I'm holding off on playing action and fps games because I can run them ok at 1080p but I'd rather play something at full resolution on my new monitor. I can wait a few (4-5) months though, it's no big rush. I don't need to buy a card right now JUST to get g-sync. I have a lot of unplayed non-action games.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Craptacular! posted:

Userbenchmark is bad, unless you’d [url= rather buy an i3 over Threadripper. I wouldn’t use a card with 4GB memory now, even if a strong performer of its generation. I was just trying to solve your problem today, since you might not get a 30-series until next year depending on things we don’t know.

Right, fair enough! Yeah I'll see how this pans out. If all goes well, I'll manage to get a 3070 from nowinstock.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Craptacular! posted:

Okay. For reference, the 980ti is equivalent to a 1070, and the 1660 is about 15% better than that, so it slots in just under the 1080, and comparisons between the 1080 and the non-ti 980 aren’t event in the same ballpark.

Lol holy poo poo. Well, I can only imagine how much better it'll be with a 3070! Can't stress how much I'm looking forward to this.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I saw a tweet yesterday saying something like 'msi hosed up and somehow confirmed a 20gb 3080 and a 16gb 3070'. So clearly they're not announcing them until after they've sold all of their 3080's and 3070's. probably (?) not selling those ti/supers any time soon but who knows!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

shrike82 posted:

GamerNexus trying to reassure people by saying the manufacturers plan to hit 20x launch day numbers by November doesn't inspire confidence if demand is outstripping supply 1000x right now

I'm sure it was a lot fewer people than that F5'ing a zillion times each. Probably some bots too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
One thing about scalping that sort of sucks even more is, If something is being scalped, scalpers buy it up from retailers. Obviously. But then as more stock comes in, scalpers carry on buying it. I think once scalpers have decided that something is profitable, they'll carry on buying it and making it go out of stock, after it becomes more available, so something being scalped makes it more likely to be scalped more. That still artificially creates a shortage and they can still profit from it. We saw this with the ring fit. More and more stock was added until finally the scalpers were defeated by a massive supply. I would say 'allowing pre-orders before stock is there would defeat this', but then the scalpers would then buy up the entire run of the 3000 series throughout its lifespan, and effectively make themselves the middlemen for all 3000 transactions (I don't think this is actually the case but it'll probably almost be true, or be true for a while. Scalpers will only stop doing it once it becomes 'not worth it' and worst case for them is they'll only be able to sell something new for its full value)