Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I bought this GTX 950 because it's got 3 DisplayPorts, except none of them actually function from a fresh boot. To get the DP ports working I have to do this:

1) Boot with a monitor connected over HDMI
2) Once the system is booted, switch my monitor to DP
3) Reboot and enjoy working DP

If I shut the computer down again, the DisplayPorts stop working again.

What the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

oh. Oh dear. So what do mac ports of games use? metal? My dream of owning a mac and continuing to play video games is in tatters, although I suppose I could boot into windows.

They don't really cater to gaming, hell my MacBook Pro doesn't even cater to anything you'd ever call 'Pro' either. Buy a PC, at least it won't overheat during skype calls.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, this is the most depressing video on the GPU market ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN7i1bViOkU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

ColHannibal posted:

Here's the worst part, when Nvidia developed Pascal they basically advanced GPU technology 5 years overnight. The 1080/titan is not fully leveraging that, they are sitting on the next generation as there is no point to releasing it now just waiting for AMD to try to complete. If AMD does take the dare and puts out a card a little bit faster than the 1080, they will immediately get crushed as Nvidia will open the flood gate on a GPU that will obsolete all the time and money AMD put into their new high end GPU.

Basically AMD cannot compete at the high end where fewer cards are sold without first making money in the low end, but they cannot make money at the low end because everyone always just buys nVidia because AMD cannot compete at the high and win that 'mind share' that makes everyone just buy nVidia...

Well poo poo.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

penus penus penus posted:

The air at the end of the video seems to imply perhaps we should be making GPU purchases with a little morality in mind. Sorry, as the video has clearly shown, its too late for that, and preaching to the choir to buy the better value when again in the same video it is shown that is not and never will be enough to make a difference is also not going to help. Now that AMD has lost its technological edge as well its better value proposition you are not going to convince anybody to buy enough turds to save a company, because at the end of the day these are things to play video games with.

For all our sakes I hope AVeryLargeRadish is right. I really hope AMD pulls it off next year, and not just with Zen.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
It's macOS, so neither. They have no interest in 3d performance at Apple.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Why Metal then?

Because mobile or something? The best GPU you can on a Mac is a Radeon R9 M395X; for a meager additional $250 you too can own an iMac with performance less than a GTX 970.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Seems all they did was release a bunch of videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/amd/videos

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

ve.ga is down for me lol
How do I watch the AMD thing? Is it even today?
edit: oh, videos

Yeah, it's just after 6am in Las Vegas, timezones suck.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
ve.ga has updated, the videos are available and there's a competition to win something.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I still can't seem to bring myself to give two shits about VR.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
What was that demo.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, awesome demo! A FPS shooter on rails that requires expensive uncomfortable hardware to use!

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

^We get it, you hate new and fun things.

It's literally a rails shooter, when are those ever good and fun?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Radeon RX Vega, please.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

It's so odd. the Quantum Dot 49" 4k Monitor is utterly a perfect monitor except for HDMI 2.0 issues. I have no idea why it hasn't caught on more honestly. 4k, great color, off angle good, super low lag.

How comfortable is it using such a tall display?

I use a 24" 4k screen and the PPI is just high enough that text and images look ultra clear and unpixelated at 200% scaling. At 49" a display would need to be 8k resolution to reach the same quality.

It seems to me that you sit way too close to a 49" screen.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

Titan ME

:gonk:

But really they should've called it the Titan XL.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Lungboy posted:

A Chinese overclocker broke NDA. To my untrained eye those results are nothing to get too excited over, particularly if 480 prices drop when the 580 releases.

I don't think there's going to be many 480s soon, there used to be at least 30 odd cards available locally but now there's just 12-13.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

The thing is that the RX 480 has declined to way way under MSRP while the 580 is going to be launching back at MSRP again. They're good deals when they're 30% less than a GTX 1060 6 GB, but priced head to head against the GTX 1060 6 GB the RX 480 has little merit of its own.

So, if you can score one for ~$180 before stock dries up, RX 480, then I'm back to recommending the 1060 6 GB at the ~$250 price range. The RX 580 isn't really worth it at that price unless you're big into the "future proofing" argument (which is terrible with GPUs still improving significantly year-on-year) or unless you're super big into AOTS and Doom.

Wait, aren't the 1060 6GB and 480 8GB basically equal? So what makes the 1060 worth the premium?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 580 is only faster in DX12/Vulkan titles, and its lead there is usually fairly small. The 1060 6GB spanks it at DX11 titles pretty soundly.

That's kind of a weird thing to say given that I recommend the Ryzen 5 and the RX 480 - but I always do it based on price-to-performance. Again, effectively this is a $75 price increase for literally the exact same hardware. I don't understand why it's a shocker that if you increase the price of the hardware by 33% it's no longer a good deal?

All this time I was hearing that the 480 is a great deal, I didn't realise it was 33% cheaper because I don't think it is in Europe :/

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

As high as they go.

Someone on their forums noticed too:

Dimi posted:

I'm just wondering how you got such low numbers on the 1070 Doom 1080p benchmark. I am constantly hitting the frame limit with mine on nightmare settings throughout the entire game. (yes i finished it lol).

And the response from an Administrator doesn't ease my concerns:

W1zzard posted:

play it again to find a better test scene :D

It would be very easy to cherry pick where you take test data to show the conclusion you want. And no, not making a conspiracy, it may just be as simple as assuming the place that performs the worst on both cards is representative of the overall performance of the rest of the game.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

I specifically picked a low performance area. It goes higher than that most of the time. loving site is full of poo poo.

Maybe it's a regression in the beta drivers they're using?

Test System posted:

AMD: Catalyst 16.3.3 Beta
RX 580: 17.10.1030-B8-Apr10

I don't know the first thing about the Windows drivers any more, but I couldn't find these on the website.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

orcane posted:

:allears:

How does that work with modern games on mainstream video cards? And I don't mean this thread's moronic idea of mainstream = GTX 1070 and above.

But but but steam survey doesn't cover real gamers...

I play with a large group of goons, most of them have really poo poo hardware, some of them can even afford a GTX 960.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents posted:

That is more or less based on the fact that 970's were the absolute mainstream. The 1070 was very strong is sales but 1060's outpaced them fairly quickly over the months. I don't think that has much to do with pricing rather than the fact the mass majority of gpu's run 1080p screens though.

*discrete gpu anyway

I don't know about that, a GTX 970 was significantly cheaper than a 1070 and only slightly more expensive than a 1060 6GB, at least here in Hungary.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 970 in particular probably also benefited somewhat from being the official recommended (minimum) spec GPU for the Oculus Rift too. Even if people didn't actually buy one, plenty of people are dumb enough to try and "future proof" their GPU.

See, you say that, but there is a very significant tilt towards high-end hardware in the 10-series and even starting in the 900 series.

The best-selling 10-series card is the 1060, as you note - with 4.45% share. But, the 1070 and 1080 combined actually account for more sales total (3.26% + 1.61% = 4.87%).

Steam won't give you historical data but the 970 actually had massive sales for an x70 card, I doubt it actually sucked away a bunch of 960 sales because the 960 also has a massive presence. After the 980 Ti launch I remember NVIDIA was selling about 1 980 Ti for every 5 970s. Now the figure is 1 980 and 1 980 Ti for every 4 970s they sold - which is pretty considerable given the unprecedented sales of the 970.

Despite overall declining sales of PCs, the PC gaming market is going gangbusters, and is tilting more and more heavily towards high-end systems. I'm certainly not the first person to point this out either.

Yes, but Intels integrated graphics make up 16% of the market, more than the 1060, 1070 and 1080 combined. You've previously dismissed this group as "not real gamers" or some such nonsense, but I think you forget that poor people (which I am somewhat) also like to play video games. For example I have played over 1000 hours of Rust on an integrated GPU, sure at best I got about 24fps, but it was better than nothing.

The fact is the 1060 is selling better than the 1070 or the 1080 and is the single most popular card from the current generation. Hell, the 750 ti is even picking up at a rate greater than the 1070 and 1080 combined if you must combine those two for arbitrary reasons.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents posted:

it IS skynet, what do you think shadowplay actually is

Let me know when nVidia buys Boston Dynamics.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

How do integrated GPUs have anything to do with the fact that high-end cards (1070 and 1080) are significantly outselling the 1060 this generation?

If you really want to get down to the computing platforms poor people use - it's overwhelmingly smartphones and tablets. I really don't see how this has anything to do with the original discussion though.

As I said, you have previously just dismissed 16% of the market as not really gamers for no reason, other than you felt that playing on such low end hardware meant they were too casual or something.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Most popular single card, yes, but overall the high-end cards are outselling it.

Even if you want to toss the 1050 and 1050 Ti into the low-end bucket - the 1070 and 1080 combined sell about 75% of the volume of the 1050/1050 Ti/1060 combined. That's pretty unprecedented for hardware in the $400-700 range.

So the single most sold card isn't dead center of the mainstream only because you want to compare it to more than one card? And if you compare multiple cards to multiple other cards those cards still outsell the cards you think are the true mainstream?

Paul MaudDib posted:

No it's not. You better double-check your systems!

Actually, it is, last month brought the 750 Ti back over 5% of the market, more than even the 1060.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

People who don't have any money to spend on hardware can more or less be disregarded by hardware companies, yeah, that's correct. This ain't a charity business. It's good that iGPUs are getting better but the reality is that hardware and software isn't specced around them.

Just because people are buying does not mean they are not gamers gaming with the hardware they have. That was the entirety of that point.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm not sure why you have such a fixation on individual cards. You've defined the 1070 and above as quintessentially high-end cards because you think they're too expensive - and yet the "high-end" market as you've defined it is outselling EITHER the middle or the low-end markets, and is coming reasonably close to outselling them both combined.

And I'm not sure why you want to compare multiple cards to a single card, except because doing something completely arbitrary like that means you get to say "look more sold!" And if you do an apples to apples comparison that quickly falls apart anyway.

There's no denying that nVidia are making more money from the high end cards, but I've never been talking about what makes nVidia money, only what most people are doing. And the card that most people are buying is a 1060, not a 1070 or a 1080. That is the most mainstream card as far as I am concerned.

Paul MaudDib posted:

(0.26 + 0.20) > 0.43.

You said the 750 Ti was "picking up at a rate greater than the 1070 and 1080 combined". It's not. Rates are a different thing from quantities. Quantities (here) are the integration of rates over time.

How were your calculus marks? Not good I'm guessing?

Quite terrible!

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Eh, whatever. I feel like this needs the biggest citation needed mark, but then I cannot be arsed trying to find data outside of the Steam Hardware survey that helps my case, it's not worth my time.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Deuce posted:

What exactly am I looking at

The esteemed https://www.youtube.com/user/nathanjbarnatt

vvv Apparently the script I have to autosize images removed all of that from the post...

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 2, 2017

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Two More Device IDs Added For Radeon Vega 10

I really hope this means they still have something at least slightly competitive that we've not seen yet. It'd be a shame if they've traded a noncompetitive CPU for a noncompetitive GPU.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Regarding the demos:

Raja posted:

It was running on Frontier Edition

So if FE is in fact clocked lower as some people suspect, there may be a few hundred MHz more available for gamers?

Raja posted:

We’ll be showing Radeon RX Vega off at Computex, but it won't be on store shelves that week.

Not that week is very ambiguous, practically a non-answer. But at least we'll see the RX variant at last.

Edit: Yep, seems likely:

Raja posted:

Consumer RX will be much better optimized for all the top gaming titles and flavors of RX Vega will actually be faster than Frontier version!

What is the chance that "poor volta[sticker over the top]" was just an accident and they didn't really mean to spell volta...

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 19, 2017

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Something odd is happening. None of my usual online stores in Hungary have any 470, 480, 570 or 580 in stock, in fact there are only 2 560 cards currently available and one retailer doesn't have any. Last time this happened was a few weeks before the 500 series launched, the 400 series was basically unavailable. Are they going to replace the 500 series again?

Edit: I just checked on newegg and there is a single 580 out of 35 that is in stock and no 570s are in stock.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 28, 2017

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nope, Ethereum prices are up. AMD is clean out of 580s.

I wonder what their leadtime is on a production ramp?

Holy poo poo. Up 2700% and people are now jumping on the bandwagon? I think it might be a bit late for that.

This really loving sucks for regular customers.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
This is really making GBS threads me off. I wanted to get an RX 570 since I have a Freesync monitor already, but I may be forced to get a 1060 instead because there's no stock left.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CDemerjian/status/872445675056898048

Also apparently the 4 shader engines are segregated, making 8?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owL_KY9sIx8

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 7, 2017

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
A single RX 580 has come back into stock, now they want $600 for it instead of the $370 it was going for last month before the buttminers attacked.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
RX 570s and 580s came back into stock today. At massively inflated prices even for Europe. They're all sold out again. Even the 560s are affected, there's only one model in stock. gently caress this poo poo and gently caress the buttcoin miners.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

I don't doubt that Vega will require buttloads of power, however we're just supposed to accept that the anonymous forum post is from who it claims to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Wirth1000 posted:

Hi, I work for MSI and I can confirm that the Vega cards will require a 24-pin connector and minimum 1200W dedicated power supply just for itself and submerged in a small aquarium filled with mineral oil.

Will I be able to use this as a deep fryer? I'd rather not get out of my chair to cook dinner.