Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

I can't believe I'm installing the Best Buy app on my phone in the year 2020.

Why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
People are upset that cards are theoretically available to buy but that they personally have to wait. Especially because the people who do have them are stunting about playing games in 8k at 400fps or whatever. Nothing really that mysteries about it

I will be mad if I don't have one in time for cyberpunk because my gtx1080 probably isn't going to do ultra wide for the next generation but until then I don't care too much

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Searched Amazon.ca, saw a 3090 in stock from a reasonably well rated seller for 2,999, considered buying for a moment, then realized paying 1k over is nuts

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Rtx 3090 was showing in stock on best buy and by the time I entered my information it was sold out

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Are ABS pre-built computers bad? There's a pre-built on Newegg with a 10850k and rtx3080 for 3300 Canadian.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Romes128 posted:

Things to look out for on pre-builts are the motherboard and power supply. Companies like Dell use their own motherboards that might make upgrading in the future difficult (like only having two ram slots on an ATX board). If you can identify the parts as reputable brands, go for it.

Its this https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ali451/p/N82E16883360035

Some of the components are good, but some don't have a specific brand listed. I've got it sitting in my cart but am hesitating because I don't want to buy half crappy components. I guess I'll just keep waiting.

Edit: yeah I checked reviews for similar builds that were out of stock on Newegg and there were a lot of substantive complaints

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 19, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
:D thanks

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Anyone have any good suggestions for Canadian discord stock watchers. I'm too stupid to work that snatcher thing

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is it possible they'll be good enough to actually outpace the 3080 even with all of Nvidia's bells and whistles, or are people just hoping for parity-ish

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I have a 1080 GTX and want something new for the November crop of games because I find it's starting to struggle on like Control, but don't really want to buy a 2070. I guess I can just do the step up thing and wait in line but that seems like a crazy solution

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Stadia has a service with negative latency TM and CP2077 on launch day waiting for you

gently caress maybe that's a solution until I can get a decent video card. does stadia actually work worth a poo poo? I've got like 1gb down but it still seems like the smallest amount of lag would make it not work very well

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Were 3080s sold out in the first second or did you have a chance of beating the boys if you were looking at the store screen when they came available

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

spunkshui posted:

Most had the ability to put money down outside the USA on day 1, ran a snatcher script, or did the evga thing.

What evga thing?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I happened to be looking at the screen literally JUST as newegg dropped some poo poo. Then frantically clicked on a bunch and they disappeared out of my cart until it was all gone. I'd just buy one from loving ebay at this point if it came with a warranty, this poo poo loving sucks

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

VorpalFish posted:

Please don't if you can wait. The only thing that will make the scalping stop is when they run out of people who will pay the markup.

yeah I'm not, and not buying the stupid prebuilt poo poo that is capitalizing on it. it's just that I haven't upgraded for about 3 years, and was going to do a good upgrade in time for Cyberpunk, Valhalla, ultra quality Control, etc. poo poo sucks

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
the way I read it, if I manage to snag a 3070 on the 29th, I can apply to step up to a 3080 or 3090 thereafter, right?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I have a ski mask and a 9mm so I'm getting a 3070 on the 29th, don't worry about it

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
parody, in minecraft, etc.

in reality I'll just sit in the parking lot of local computer store from midnight refreshing newegg on my phone or some stupid poo poo

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I don't understand that post. I mean grain of salt and all but zen 3s leaked benchmarks has it substantially ahead of like a 10900k?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Can a 2070 super handle Control with raytracing and high quality at 1440p?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Cefte posted:

Snagged a Palit 3080 from a store in Glasgow for £800, and immediately having buyer's remorse. Oh, the pain!

I'll take it off your hands for that and shipping if the remorse overwhelms you

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

Canada goons head to Best Buy in the next 5 seconds for XC3 cards. Not a false alarm.

I got the order in on this, my bank flagged the transaction as suspicious and held on paying to check with me, and now the order is just hanging. I called their contact centre and they said it "should" try to reauth but might get canceled but there's nothing they can do. I'm in hell.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 26, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah the charge hit my card now after a delay but they're telling me actually its back ordered now and will be cancelled if they don't get sufficient inventory in the next 7 days. Welp

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
gently caress yeah they issued a tracking number we're cooking now. Just gotta get a 5900x and I'm good to go for a couple years

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Control looks sick as loving hell though so there's that

Edit: Valhalla game play doesn't look that bad

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 27, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
poo poo is dropping at the asus store right now. They had big drops yesterday and today.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

DrDork posted:

Got any links? Search doesn't seem to be working.

https://store.asus.com/us/item/202009AM160000001

For example

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I'm running a GTX970 and all i wanted was one of these stupid things and nothing...Like nothing in stock online or in the entirety of the NYC metro area.

Sign up for falcodrins discord. You can get push notifications to your phone when something comes up which makes it easier to get there in time. I think the drops are getting bigger too, they're definitely coming more often. I think (hope?) supply is getting a bit better

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Nm

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Hahaha

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Playing mount and blade 2 with 1000 person battles and dynamic shadows will rule. shadows EVERYWHERE

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Newegg drop is still going. I considered snagging a 3090 strix but wimped out at 1500$ more for like a 10fps edge

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Canadians, memory express has some in store for pick up

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What makes people get pointlessly aggro over processors and video cards. And monitors. And keyboards/mice to a lesser extent.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Whew good thing I'm not interested in that game!

I love Control with RTX and DLSS though :saddowns:

Yeah I honestly can't loving wait to play control with all the poo poo turned up. Odyssey maybe too.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Has anyone who's got their 3080 or 3090 actually gaming with it at 4k and if do how's it going

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Taima posted:

Yeah. It's good, what do you want to know? Ampere has by far the greatest gains at 4K, of all resolutions. If you want to do 4K/120 and have it be viable for as long as possible you probably want a 3090, otherwise a 3080 is fine.

Just whether it's working as advertised. I'm a bit skeptical of its ability to do 4k 120, or even 4k 60, for long given that like Control and Tomb Raider are getting sub 60 fps benchmarks at 4k already with high settings and rtx.

I realize that those are demanding games and you can probably finesse performance some by fine tuning details and where possible using dlss, but if the rtx 3080 is really taxed at 4k its a thing to consider before putting down a bunch of money on a 4k monitor or whatever

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Literally doing the star citizen thing of releasing more poo poo that no one can get lol

Related note, my 3080 is processed at my local mail facility and I presume out for delivery on Monday

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Whenever I read this thread I feel like my 3080 Strix will puff into mist and disappear at any moment. It’s so rare that even having one feels like some fever dream.

yeah I thought supply might start easing up but one of the stock drop discords has 23K members and 1K confirmed buyers

I get that's not exactly a scientific poll but I think reflects there's still a lot of people actively looking, and I'm sure an even larger contingent just getting fed up or waiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I was getting weird stuttering and audio glitches after gaming for a while on an RTX 3080 XC ultra gaming. I installed 2 power cords from the power supply, one 8pin each to the video card, rather than 1 cord with 2 8 pins, and it seems to have fixed it. I'm not sure if the card wasn't getting enough power and so underperforming because it didn't have enough power, or was choking out from heat because the fans didn't run properly or whatever, but running two separate lines from the power supply seems to have fixed it. In case anyone else is having similar issues