Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Looking at the pictures for this GPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

It has 2 power cables and 2 ports on the back of the card, does this mean you have to use both of them and then have 4 open 4-pin molex connections to power it with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

My current power supply is new but doesn't have those, I got it on the cheap because I was in a pinch. But thats good to know however.

See this is what happens when you don't do anything with PC's for a long time, everything goes and changes on you. Until the past month, the last time I did anything with pc components AGP & regular PCI slots were the only options you had, now I feel like a confused old person! :smith:

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

No it runs what I have and thats about it, when I got it that was all I needed though. But it wasn't really meant to be a long term PSU, just one to get me buy until a little later.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

jink posted:

AnandTech recently put out an article with cheap quality power supplies:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6013/350450w-roundup-11-cheap-psus

They run it through load tests, noise, etc.

Thanks, but my next one is going to be a quality one! (Interesting read though.)

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

BLOWTAKKKS posted:

I recently bought a GTX 690 and now have two 570s laying around doing nothing. I'd like to throw one into my computer as a physx card just for the hell of it but I'm not sure if my PSU will explode. I have a Corsair HX850 which according to reviews can actually provide up to 1000w. It was running the two 570s perfectly (which drain more power than a single 690) but I'm afraid this might be pushing it over the edge.

Since you have two, if you are looking to sell one I might be interested! (I assume its something similar to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593 )

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Perhaps someone could help me understand how this works, because I am not 100% clear. What is the difference between a budget & performance card in the same pixel/resolution category? Are the budget cards just older generations of cards?

Also are the resolutions the cards are listed under set in stone? IE: If I got a 550 Ti can I still set the maximum screen resolution to 1920x1080 but just set it lower for games?

I ask because Newegg put this on sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-14130625-L0D

And I have no idea how good it is. I always found video cards to be a complicated affair back when only Nvidia & ATI made them, but now it confuses me even more.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

unpronounceable posted:

As Dogen mentioned, the 550Ti is simply a bad value. You can get better performance with this 7770 for $15 less after rebate.

My board only has PCI-E x16 2.0, I assume this would just run at those lower speeds with no issues?

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

That's right.

And the difference between "budget" and "performance" categories is pretty much "Budget will run the game at good detail settings, performance will run the game with most details cranked up and probably some antialiasing, too."

Good to know, thanks.

Factory Factory posted:

Also, it's still the case that only AMD and Nvidia make graphics cards. Intel only does integrated GPUs that you get "for free" with a CPU that aren't on their own card.

Well I meant when they were putting the cards out branded as Nvidia & ATI, before you could get them branded by all of these other companies.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Haha well for reference until the past couple of weeks, the last time I did anything with PC parts AGP slots were the ticket and PCI-E hadn't even been introduced yet, so I had had to try and to some catching up. Beware the perils of having only Mac hardware for years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I just upgraded the sorry cheap video card I had in my computer to a 550 ti, and I didn't realize just how bad my graphics looked/ran until I put that fucker in this afternoon. It may not be a new top of the line card but it works great for my needs, wish I had done this sooner.