Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hey goons! So I've recently built a new PC. I have a Sapphire 7870GHZ OC GPU (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1372&products_id=19778) and I'm experiencing poor (at least I think) performance in Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3 (the only two games I have atm, heh). I tried installing the updated drivers and I swear after I did that is when I started getting poor performance, but I'm not really sure how to fix it exactly.

For example, Sleeping Dogs used to run on high at ~60fps with some occasional dips to lowest ~50, but now on medium it runs at 60fps with somewhat frequent dips to 50fps and the occasional to 40fps. I mean I could be wrong and this is correct performance for the card and I guess that's fine, but it seems a little low to me.

If the rest of my specs matter they are:

i5 3570
H77M
8GB RAM
Also, running catalyst 12.10

Edit: monitor resolution is 1920x1080

Guni fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Alereon posted:

Try the Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11 drivers, they specifically call out improvements in Sleeping Dogs.

Thanks! Updating them now, what is 'CAP2'? I notice that to make Far Cry 3 better you must install it and I wonder (though I don't play it, at least yet) should I also install it?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
What sort of overclock could I do that would be safe/easy on my sapphire 7870GHZ oc edition? It's at 1050MHZ and 5000MHZ, I've got (well will be at Christmas) a seasonic m12 520w modular PSU, so there will be no worries there right?

Edit: I forgot there was an overclocking thread..this question should probably go in there, though I'd still appreciate any answers in this thread

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

M_S_C posted:

A quick look around the internet shows sites pushing their Sapphire 7870 OC editions to ~1240mhz core and ~1500mhz (6000mhz) memory without any voltage bumps. Keep in mind you'll likely have to bump up the PowerTune limit so you aren't running into TDP limits as you're overclocking.

Your PSU should be fine, Seasonic is great.

Can I just slide the sliders over in Sapphire TRIXX and be done with it?

Edit: gently caress I keep remembering straight after I post that there's an overclocking thread - will go read the OP (again) instead of asking heaps of questions.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
So I have a question relating to my Sapphire 7870 GHZ OC edition card, in Far Cry 3 I get these weird purple/blue (I can't tell, colourblind, see below) colour disfiguration things over anything that is light coloured (a beach ground, Jason's skin) etc etc. Is this a concern/artifacts or is it just a glitch in FC or something else entirely?

Please excuse the lovely picture, it's in the bottom corner.

Guni fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 16, 2013

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

coffeetable posted:

Did you take a photo of your screen because they don't show up in screenshots?

And while I have no technical experience whatsoever, those remind me of the interference patterns you get between certain continuous functions and a pixel grid

Yeah it doesn't show up in screenshots, it's only whilst I'm moving in FC3 as well, if I stand still there will be no weirdness happening.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
I'm using a HDMI cable. It's an official xbox/Microsoft one (yeah I didn't know they were all the same when I bought it). This happens at stock clocks and when overclocked a bit too, so I would doubt it's anything relating to that. Also, AFAIK this sort of thing only happens in FC3 and only in the specific settings I mentioned (sandy beaches, Jason's arm, fire, the road sometimes, a tigers light stripe) and things like that, it won't happen on say a green plant/grass or the like. I unfortunately don't have another cable to really try and see if it is the cable, I guess I could rustle one up and have a looksie. It's not really a concern, more an annoyance and I'm really only asking the question in case the card is faulty.

Also it's worth noting I can constantly replicate this as well, it's not a one time thing/a couple of occurrences.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
So I'm not really sure where to ask this but I figure I'll ask here in the GPU thread since it's related to my GPU. Since yesterday when playing BF3 on my Sapphire 7870 GHZ OC edition card I've gotten a 'device hung' error about three times. Does anyone know what this is/what I can do to fix it? It's pretty annoying and I hope my card's ok..

Edit: Max temp is only 65degrees or so, I am running dual screens (one HDMI, one DVI) if that matters or anything?

Guni fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 3, 2013

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

amp281 posted:

Can you screen capture it? Or Is it a BSOD? What catalyst driver are you on?

Thankfully it wasn't BSOD, I'll try and capture it if it happens again. Re: drivers, I'm on 13.2 and yesterday I cleaned off all my old ones (was on 13.1) and installed these fresh. So let's see if it was the drivers?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Ozz81 posted:

Is it only happening with BF3? Any other times it's happened, whether gaming or watching videos? I did a quick search and found a couple possible culprits, not sure if you'd tried them or not:

- Make sure DirectX is up to date (should be able to run dxwebsetup from the MS website)
- Blow away your graphics drivers, reboot in Safe Mode, run a utility like Driver Sweeper/Driver Fusion (and maybe CCleaner too), reboot and do a fresh, clean reinstall of drivers
- May be an issue related to overclocked cards, oddly enough - some sleuthing found others having issues with BF3 on overclocked cards, regardless of brand/vendor. If you're using any overclock utility, see if it has an option to bump the card's stock voltage. Or, barring that, try clocking the core/memory down slightly and test BF3 again to confirm if it's an overclock issue - if you go the voltage increase route, check to see what the max "safe" voltage for your card is, last thing you want to do is mess it up by giving too much juice.

Outside that, not sure if any other patches or updates are available, if you've exhausted that route then definitely do some testing and keep us posted.

Yeah so far only in BF3, my card was overclocked a little bit but really not that much. As I said in a previous post I cleaned up the old drivers using driver sweeper and since then it hasn't happened again. I'll keep everyone posted if it does happen again and ill try those steps at that time. :)

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
What sort of performance increase will the new generation of cards bring? Are we expecting a huge increase with the new consoles? Or will it likely be around 10-20%?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

slidebite posted:

Just to make sure I understand the present nvidia timeline, the next gen (supersede of Kepler) of GPUs won't be out until sometime in 2014, right?

AFAIK, that's correct. Same goes for AMD - both are rumored to come out early 2014.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Space Racist posted:

Just for curiosity's sake, is this the same on cards like the 7990 and 690?

I.e., even though the 7990 is a 'single' card with 6 GB of VRAM, is only 3 GB effectively usable?

Whats even the point in getting 7990's and the like when theyre really just two 7970's stuck together. Wouldnt two stand alone 7970's offer the exact same performance and experience as a 7990?

Guni fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 26, 2013

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
So just out of curiosity, would a GTX 780 run on my Seasonic M12II 520W Modular PSU alongside an i5-3570 (not overclocked)and a couple of hard drives?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Alereon posted:

It'll work, but that's a lower-end power supply and you're pushing it pretty hard, so expect higher noise levels and temperatures. Definitely upgrade power supplies if you consider overclocking.

It is? I thought it was a decent power supply. gently caress.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
So when overclocking my Sapphire 7870GHz it has a power control setting of -50% to 50%. Should I slide it all the way to 50%?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Agreed posted:

Correlative, not causal. But yeah, that's a good score for this massive mother of a GPU. We don't know the specifics of validation but we do know that higher scores correlate with higher overclocks on air, while lower scores correlate with higher overclocks at very low temperature cooling.

Water counts, but benefits really show when you go with dry ice or better - extreme overclockers going for record clocks look for low ASIC score cards specifically to do horrible things to them to have a legitimate screenshot of their clockrate and/or a very high 3Dmark score... once.

:qqsay:

My 7870 has an ASIC score of 82.7% :getin:. Does that mean it will get a bigger OC, but it will run hot at higher OC's?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
I'm excited to see the market prices of these cards when they come out. I was, however, hoping for something a bit better from AMD in the mid-top end rangee (like 760-770 sort of range), rather than a rebadged 7970. I guess the price is pretty great, but unless I go to the 290x, I don't feel it's really worthwhile upgrading from my 7870Ghz at the present time, which is pretty annoying as I wanted to blow some cashola.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

Does anyone actually feel hyped by the 290X?

I'd personally love to upgrade from my 7870Ghz, but if the 290X is going to be $600+ and only similar to a 780, I'll be pretty disappointed. However, if it's $500 and womps a 780, I'll be a happy man.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
loving hell Australia gets ripped off. Sapphire 290x for $699. Looks like I'll just keep my 7870Ghz for a while yet.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Digital Jesus posted:

PC Case Gear had the Powercolor 290x for $659 but it sold out rather quickly (it flipped over to Sold Out right as I finished checkout).

Speaking of which, PCCG Order #688962 has now been shipped :woop:

The Lord Bude posted:

699 is the absolute lower limit on what you'd pay for a lovely palit gtx780, so considering the performance difference it seems like pretty good value to me.

Yeah, but relative to the US, we get raped every time. I agree that the 290x is way better value than the 780, however it still blows when we're charged $150 more than the US for the exact same product.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

It's more reasonable when you consider shipping expenses, and the increased cost of doing business here... Rents, wages, and utilities are far higher here than they are in America, and the price at retail has to reflect that. Alot of companies do use it as an excuse to gouge us, like adobe, but when it comes to hardware sold in an actual store the difference is often perfectly reasonable.

I guess so. I just want a $500 290x, dammit. I'm intrigued to see how well the 290 will perform and for what price..

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Rahu X posted:

Quick question for you guys.

If I end up getting a GTX 780, should I go for the EVGA with the ACX cooler, or the MSI with the Twin Frozr cooler?

Most reviews I'm seeing on either are rather back and forth in terms of temps. The MSI does seem to be generally quieter though, but the EVGA isn't unbearable by any stretch.

Get the EVGA, it will (likely) have better warranty and support.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Gonkish posted:

But 760s in SLI are already overkill for 1080p! I am hoping 1440p monitors will come down some in price before jumping on the Korean monitors and my PSU probably can't do two 770s and... and... GOD DAMMIT WHY IS THIS STILL A THING?

:getin:. Do it. You know you want to.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
I don't think I've ever experienced screen tearing, thank gently caress. All this talk of new GPU's is making me wanna upgrade though. I've noticed that 7990's are like $700, are they a decent product [in terms of overall quality/usability etc], which brings me to another point, is AMD still having the crossfire issues?

For another question, what's the blower cooler like on the 770/780/titan's like if I were to look at a SLI setup?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Rahu X posted:

Alright. I actually managed to get some free time, so I did some experiments with the GPU.

First off, I switched to HDMI from DVI. Nothing changed. In fact, I now noticed I was starting to get some lines on the screen before log in. Switching back to DVI later, the issues were still present.

These were before I even re-installed the drivers. Installing them made no difference. Moving the mouse around would actually clear out some of the lines, but more would pop up.

I took some printscreens, but none of them showed any of what you see above.

I even tried what Ozz81 recommended with trying different PCIe power cables, and no luck.

What I don't get is, according to Factory Factory, if the artifacts don't show in the printscreens, it should be an issue between the cable and my eyes. Yet, as I've been typing all these posts, I've been using the same cables connected to an old HD 3650, and none of the issues are present. Everything displays fine. No freezes or artifacts at all.

It's almost as if my motherboard does not like NVIDIA GPUs anymore or something.

Have you done a fresh install of drivers? CCleanered your old ones etc?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Arzachel posted:

Crossfire is fine under the following conditions: you run 290/290X or you don't use multiple monitors or a qHD display. There should be a fix for multi monitor crossfire for pre Hawaii cards, but until then don't bother. I wouldn't get the 7990 either, it's not very good and 700$ is too much. Two 7950 with good coolers can be had for under 250$, clock for clock are within 5-8% of a 7970 with similar headroom and can usually hit 1000-1050 on the core while slightly undervolted unless you get one with silly low voltage at stock.

Cheers for that. I actually have a 7870Ghz at the moment, so I probably wouldn't bother upgrading to SLI 7950's vs adding another 7870Ghz. I think I might look into a 290/290x/780 cash permitting, for the last couple of months I haven't really played any games anyway - so I guess that's another factor. Pretty sure that will change in a couple of weeks when I'm finished exams and graduate university though ;)

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Torabi posted:

Last time I read about the new AMD cards I kept seeing how they mention that it is loud as gently caress and that there are no OEM cards until December or something. (The December bit might just be relevant to :sweden: though)

That's for the 290x. The 280x is basically a rebadged 7970 and comes with custom coolers.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Gonkish posted:

I was running the BF4 beta at 1080p on a single 4GB 760 at around 40-45fps on Ultra. Once I got my second card it was 60fps all the way because I turned Vsync on.

Gonk, do you have blowers or custom fans [i.e. anything else than blowers]? IIRC your case is ITX?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

The 780ti is a very reasonable price here in Australia - it's much the same price as the 780 was before the price drop a few weeks ago. Also, I read in reviews that Nvidia is extending its game bundle to the 780ti.

I don't know if I'd call $8-850 "reasonable", especially compared to the price of a 780 or SLI'd 770's. I do, however, think that the 780 is a better pick ATM over the 290x's as it's generally about $100 cheaper and has superior cooling, coupled with the games bundles.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Well if I was willing to spend that much on a 780 a couple of months ago, but held off because I was waiting on a particular case to be released, then logic dictates it would be reasonable to spend it on a 780ti. I'm going to wait for a comparison of the 290X and 780ti when both have custom coolers out, but it would take a very great deal to convince me to buy a 290X.

Yeah, but irrespective of what you were going to purchase, the 780 at $8-850 is not "good value" either. It's all about the price:performance man. :getin:

E: In my original post I should have elaborated, by "reasonable" I meant relative to the price:performance the 780TI isn't a good buy.

Guni fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 11, 2013

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Rahu X posted:

Why not do it? It's a fantastic card for the price, and water cooling would make it even better.

If you can't afford water cooling, opt for an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III instead. A 290 with that is still less than a 780 (in the US anyway), and it has equal or better performance for the most part.

To water-cool a 290 I'm assuming you need an existing custom loop?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Agreed posted:

Fully, enabled, GK110, on, a, consumer, card, I want it so bad man you have no idea

Plus we got a pretty good Christmas bonus, this is a mistake I want to make :qq:

$450 shipped to Australia? Haha

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Speaking of SLI/crossfire, I know that blowers are the best for SLIing, but what happens if you can't get a blower type card? For instance if I wanted to SLI 4GB 770's or 760's, I don't have the option of a blower, only a open air cooler (pretty sure that's what you call them). How does having non-reference, open coolers affect temps and such? Is the answer case flow? Water cooling?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Running BF4 at 2560x1440 only uses 1.8GB on my 7970GE :colbert:

Out of curiosity, what frames do you get and at what settings?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Agreed posted:

Not that thin-skinned, haha, I just really do think I've gone too far in the direction of making fun of myself and my purchases to the point that it's now assumed that I'm going to do something stupid - and, well, people who do stupid things don't generally get much traction in more serious discussions. My feelings aren't hurt, nobody here did anything wrong, I'm just worried that I've accidentally made people more likely to associate me with buying new tech rather than knowing about and talking about new tech. I do my very best to stay well-informed, within the boundaries of what we can know without people breaking NDA (and of course keeping tabs on the rare occasions that does happen :)), so it'd be disappointing if it turned out that nobody is actually listening when I try to talk about stuff that interests me. No intention of being some weird graphics buffoon, in other words.

:defendyourpurchase:

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

Not exactly. What there are are premade and DIY systems to hook those same systems onto the GPU and cool the rest of the card (VRMs, RAM) another way. From most premade to least:

• Arctic Cooling Accelero Hybrid
  • NZXT Kraken G10 plus an Asetek-based closed-loop liquid cooler
  • "The Mod" (removing most of the stock heatsink to use a closed-loop liquid cooler) with a plate (very similar to the Kraken G10 way)
  • "The Mod" with zip ties
  • Fully custom liquid cooling

If you were to watercool both your GPU and CPU, would you still need intake and/or exhaust fans that are separate from the radiator fans?

I'm considering (as a pipe dream) to watercool my GPU on a single loop, as I already have a h100i for my CPU.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I'm guessing my Sapphire 7870Ghz shouldn't be hitting 128C on its VRM temps?

:negative:

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

127 is the maximum positive value of a signed short (-128 is the minimum value, and a sanity check might flip the sign, depending on how raw sensor feed is translated into human units). That actually sounds like something failed either in or between the temperature sensor and your monitoring software. I don't know if VRMs can actually take that kind of temperature without failing.

It seems really bizaar. Here's a screenshot of the other temps and such.

E:

I definitely think it's something wrong with HWiNFO, look at those voltages.. :lol:

Guni fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

cat doter posted:

Doesn't seem to be, I ran OCCT again with GPU-Z and under 51% load for 3 minutes it reached 91C.

I don't think the temperature is the cause since it does it at idle or watching videos, it might be memory related, since I've seen it do more often under load in games, but using this program hasn't caused the problem.

There's a memory option in OCCT, can I just make it use more memory or something? Would that help diagnose if it's the card's memory?

For memory use memtest86 (or whatever it's name is)