Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Having a friend who owns a boat is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I realized I never owned a three fan graphics card and thems some big lads

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Riflen posted:

Firstly, I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia have negotiated at least a period of exclusivity on GDDR6X, given they collaborated to develop it. No other company ever used GDDR5X either for example.

Secondly, you can just about match the RTX 3080's 760 GB/s bandwidth using 12 modules of GDDR6 at its highest rated speed which is 64 GB/s per module. Things should be interesting in November.

Has AMD confirmed move away from HBM2 or is this just sort of a logical conclusion based on HBM2 cost/performance vs GDDR6?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

HBM is not cost competitive due to the huge honking interposer.

yeah, i was seeing cost estimates of twenty bucks for the interposer which is pretty significant

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mcbexx posted:

Is this snark? Graciously admitting defeat while trying to save face?
I can't even tell anymore.

https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1301173699974967296

my bet is a reasonably cold-blooded recognition that 30x0 appearing to be extremely good and relatively cheap will cause a lot of people to drop cash on PC gaming, which AMD is very strong in right now from a processor perspective. AMD will probably get a rev bump in processors out of the launch. shame they don't have Zen 3 ready to roll though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thoom posted:

I wonder how long this will be true given the massive uplift in CPU power available to the next gen consoles. Even a lovely desktop CPU can run red rings of death around a Jaguar, but it's harder to get that kind of a delta over the roughly 3700X equivalent in the PS5.

yeah but if you're buying a CPU today you can figure that a 3700X will be just fine for the foreseeable lifecycle of the CPU.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EngineerJoe posted:

How does one spill soup on their pc?

be a teenager

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Should have put the little white spiral on the spinner like the jet engines have.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

pictured: five seconds' worth of stock

its like 1100 cards what are you expecting exactly?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ShredsYouSay posted:

I would guess that building and running a chip fab in a european country would be hilariously expensive, leading to lower profits.

Capital equipment is going to cost the same, electricity roughly similar, but yeah the Taiwanese minimum wage is the equivalent of $5.60. The fab workers don't make minimum wage but you can figure that labor costs are scaled accordingly. Not sure what % of unit cost is labor. I bet it's low, but fabs are a relatively low margin business to begin with.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CoolCab posted:

kind of childish assumption now that i articulate it, but i always assumed they built in deserts because they needed the sand.

They aren't usually built in deserts. There are a few in AZ and NM and some dry-ish parts of CA, TX, and Israel, but the vast majority are in nice temperate places. Water and power are more important constraints than other raw materials.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bloopsy posted:

Fans cost like $15 and the poster has reduced the settings and partially disassembled the case to lower temps on a 3060ti. Just install some fans. Cheap and easy and you don't have to deal with reduced gpu performance.

the OP has also taken this action because they are unclear about the availability of fan splitters :psyduck:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

don't forget the starbucks in the same lot. also to add to the complexity it fronts on to a very major multi lane surface artery (Memorial Drive), which during the summer is closed to vehicle traffic on Sundays. good times.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bus hustler posted:

Which is a very narrow road that people do 55 in :woop:

im in this post and i dont care for it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't think you know what that word means.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

first they came for the guy scalping GPUs and I said nothing because gently caress people scalping GPUs

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

its like a muscle car i think it's rad

howev a side panel with a big rear end scoop would be acceptable

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

not a lawyer but the thing that is going to trip you up is "compared to other sellers' goods or services" - you need to compare similar products and all GPUs have gotten much more expensive for all customers in all markets

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I really dig the white colorscheme on PC parts. You'd think it would be more prevalent, with the complimentary leading trend of slapping RGBs on everything.

I think there are issues with white plastics fading over time or something, at least that's what I've read.

It does seem like a great way to spend like $5 more on plastic shrouding and fans and charge $50 more for the card

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

repiv posted:

I heard it's more awkward to manufacture, as white parts needs to be produced right after the injection moulding equipment is cleaned to avoid contamination from other colours run through the same machines

oh yeah i think i recall hearing this, too

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Listerine posted:

How is this possible? I would think you would always save money building it yourself since it cuts out the labor costs. Does it simply come down to the current market on the one component, the GPU?

It’s entirely about GPUs. Prebuilt manufacturers get price breaks on GPUs and they have availability. So you can get something now, at a reasonable price. If/when GPUs stop being supply constrained, building your own PC will again be more cost effective

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rinkles posted:

4GB is a significant bottleneck, though

is it really for its intended use at the low end of the market where most people are still gaming at 1080/60?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there were always going to be competition law challenges to the deal especially given the current FTC position towards tech consolidation

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

chaleski posted:

ACAB and all but buying a 3080 at a police auction for chump change would own.

at various times the Feds auction them off when they get seized as part of other illegal operations. a few years back there were like several hundred 1070s on the fed auctions site

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rinkles posted:

what generous coupons

buy 2 get 1% off!!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PC gaming is growing in absolute terms but in terms of share of total gaming (however you really want to define that), I have to imagine its shrinking with console volumes and the rise of mobile gaming.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CoolCab posted:

right, but by that metric every developer and publisher should immediately and irreversibly convert to making predatory gatcha games since they now represent by far the most profitable slice of the gaming market. or another way - as a subset of "gaming" our entire hobby gets massively, massively dwarfed by organized gambling. it's all relative and there's nothing wrong with facilitating a niche.

Oh, the growth alone is enough to justify continued investment. No question there.

Cygni posted:

There is a lot of way to slice the data, but doing some googling, PC growth rate has outpaced consoles pretty strongly over the last decade. If I had to guess, games like Fortnite/Apex/Pubg and LoL probably have a lot to do with that, and China (where consoles are more scarce) is absolutely driving the market. Mobile's growth has slowed a bit the last few years, although it is still by far the fastest growing segment and highest revenue earner.

The high level appears to be that there are about 3 billion gamers (!!), with 48% reporting that they game on PC. There does seem to be some conflicting reports with the various market data sources so ymmv, another source i saw showed the market at basically 50% mobile, 25% PC, 25% console for total revenues.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/pc-gaming-study
https://gameworldobserver.com/2020/08/17/dfc-intelligence-3-1-billion-people-play-video-games
https://www.dfcint.com/dossier/global-video-game-consumer-population/

Interesting! Thanks for digging up the data. I wonder if Minecraft was a bit of a driver as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

change my name posted:

Still so funny that the 6500 XT is worse than the 5500 XT

that's probably within a margin of error

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

If you are caring about power the 4000 series makes more sense. You can get same performance at less power thanks to the smaller process.

I hope this is true, I'm generally trying to reduce power draw across my system. I guess undervolted 3000 series cards would probably get me an OK result on power as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bloodysabbath posted:

We’re almost 2 years into next gen systems but nobody can buy the things and we’re still seeing big titles go multi gen. I’m not trying to do the Bill Gates “640k Ram is enough for everyone” thing, but unless you need 4K RT 120hz no DLSS or some crazy high VR or rendering use case, when are we going to see games that actually need this much power?

Some people like to play MSFS I guess

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

A noticeably super hot gaming PC is a pain in the rear end for the hot months of the year, regardless of power. It feels like doing a roast in the oven!

it's definitely not rational from a cost perspective for me in the US, but it seems super wasteful for me to blast out more wattage through my little space heater in the summer in order for me to spend even more power to cool the apartment back down

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i've started loving around with MSFS recently and it's :homebrew: time

I'm currently running a Ryzen 5 2600X with 32gb of RAM and a GTX 1650 Super driving a 1440 / 165hz monitor. I am getting a drop-in upgrade of a Ryzen 5 3600 which should be a slight upgrade in CPU (and will allow me to run a more aggressive XMP profile, further improving performance.). Game runs just fine with graphics set to medium and it honestly looks decent but that means I don't get the joy of high quality fluffy clouds and the scenery is just OK. I'm pretty clearly GPU limited. I'm not targeting Ultra necessarily but at least 30fps and high quality settings is the goal.

I'm not super keen on buying new computer parts for ~the environment~ reasons, though I will do so if the price/perf situation is going to be like, ridiculously good. But with new GPUs coming out and the gradual collapse of crypto I feel like it's about to be a good time to be jumping on a used 30x0 or AMD 6x00 series card. What should I be targeting that is a reasonable balance of price and performance on the used market?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CoolCab posted:

what's your psu

Good point. It’s a 750w seasonic focus gold. Draw of everything else is low - I have an open case with a single fan CPU cooler, no RGB, no other PCIe cards, single nvme drive. So I should be good up to a 3080 at least.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Let’s call it sub 500 on the used market

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah to be clear I can absolutely afford a new card, I just prefer to not buy new poo poo if I don’t have to or unless new poo poo gets insanely heavily discounted. My intended course would be to post a want to buy ad for a goon owned GPU in SA-mart and if that don’t work I’ll buy something new.

In re the 5600 - my thought here is that I am already GPU limited and so a GPU is the next logical upgrade regardless. Is that not true?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Blorange posted:

We’re just not following why you’d upgrade to a 3600 when the 5600 exists. Are you getting it extremely cheap or for free?

Yes it is free

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

And as someone that upgraded several computers from zen 2 to zen 3 there absolutely is a big uplift between a 3600 and a 5600/5800. A 3600 is going to bottleneck hard with a “mid range” current generation GPU and he’s using it for maybe the most single thread intensive game that doesn’t involve coloring a map/building a factory!

What I can't find anywhere is how bad a 3600 it will really bottleneck a 3070 at 1440. It looks like based on this: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/microsoft-flight-simulator-benchmarks-performance-system-requirements
that a 3600 and 2080ti should be able to maintain 30 FPS+ at 1440 Ultra, which is fine for my purposes. 3070 and 2080ti are pretty close in performance. So if I just go out there and buy a 3070, I should be fine in terms of performance and it will be a massive upgrade over my current 2600X/1650 Super. Am I missing something here? I'm sure I could go out and spend another $150 on a 5600 but I don't see the need to right now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kibner posted:

It's more a thing that is specific to MSFS. It is a highly demanding title that is often more CPU limited than GPU limited once you can get above, like 45 fps. Maybe recent patches have alleviated this, though.

Yeah, I get that. Right now I am pursuing a GPU that will allow me to crack 45fps and achieve the coveted "CPU limited" status. I'll cross the CPU bridge when we get to it if I feel the need. Thanks for the advice, all! I'll probably be on the lookout for SA-Mart 3070/ti or 3080 once 40x0 cards drop.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I had to take measures to reduce my number of micro center trips. I now will only go there via bicycle which prevents me from buying huge poo poo and also presents a bit of a barrier to entry. Plus, exercise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Criss-cross posted:

Intel has been selling iGPUs and motherboard chip GPUs before that for decades. Expectations were certainly higher. It's not like the company is new to graphics drivers.

The driver for my intel iGPU on my laptop can barely resize windows correctly. My expectations weren’t high and they have been met.