Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Managed to snag a Gigabyte G1 1070 over the weekend, anxiously awaiting its arrival. Gonna be a hell of a step up from my GTX670.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
For those of you still hunting for cards, there's a chrome extension called distill that monitors elements of web pages for changes at an interval you can set. I got my 1070 by setting it to look at the "out of stock" and "auto notify" buttons on the newegg store page for the aib I wanted. You'll get a chrome notification, and can have it text/email you as well.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Can confirm that the Rockville MD Microcenter was keeping some number of cards in stock for full builds. Was able to get a Strix 3070 that way when they were definitely sold out of a la carte cards. They even had most of the parts I wanted. Ended up paying about $450 more than I would have if I ordered everything at MSRP and built it myself with the parts I wanted, but I didn't have to downgrade anything and ended up with a ready to go computer. Sucked having to do it that way but I'd rather pay extra to a company trying to do their best rather than a scalper.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Collateral posted:

Why just ETH, I have a guy at work* bending my ear about how much nicehash is putting in his PayPal account for using his 1080ti to mine BTC (I know very little about crypto other than it is tulip lunacy, does nicehash mine ETH?).

I desperately need to upgrade my 970 + 4th gen i3 (had my i5 die just a few weeks ago but the 970 soldiers on!), but refuse to pay £2000+ for a halfway decent prebuilt. Those thieving bastard prebuild vendors have started removing the option to not have windows as part of the build. With even a 3060 adding £700 over a 1660!

*we both really want to upgrade to 5600x/3080.

He's almost certainly mining ETH and NiceHash is paying him in BTC, but he doesn't understand anything about what is happening other than magic money machine.