Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they're giving away geforce now codes with the super-deluxe brand new graphics cards? isn't that the product that you buy if you want to stream games to your lovely computer from nvidia's servers? ie, not what you would do if you had just bought the latest graphics card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Buy a new 2020 Model Year vehicle and get discounted car rentals from enterprise

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

OfferUp exists

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol i'll never be able to get one of these cards

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it rules how GPUs are now like real estate where a real good that can be used to perform a function has become totally financialized so big institutional money is snapping up all of it and mere mortals who want to actually use it as something other than a speculative investment asset are locked out forever

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 22, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mr.PayDay posted:

Yeah I get that it feels like a “disconnect” to read about benchmarks, features, new GPUs like the 3060Ti or 6700XT when you try to find your new GPU since months and are simply locked out of your hobby and it feels like you can’t even get the September 2020 released 3080 now, 5 months later.

A work buddy had his “gently caress pc GPUs, I am buying a PS5 then”, and you guys might have an idea how that went.
Local eBay listing = 900 Euro. Obviously he did not buy it, but the desperation grows.

German ALDI Süd will sell a 1500 Euro MEDION Erazor rig with 3070, 10700K, 32 Gig and 1 TB SSD and Win 10.

These system will be sold out within minutes and listed on eBay.de for 1800-2000 Euro asap.

It’s such bullshit.

It feels exactly like the house buying experience lol. Everything gets snapped up by some faceless LLC or speculator as soon as it hits the market and made available to you at an insane markup.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

That doesn’t help manufacturing though, just banking and short term investment in stuff like web startups.

Manufacturing is much less profitable and harder than rent extraction and speculation

Witness big money chasing bitcoin mining instead of chip production

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

EngineerJoe posted:

Yeah, I mean look at Elon Musk. One kinda super rich guy throws all his money behind world changing ideas over and over again and has basically made electric cars, reusable rockets and satellite internet viable.

Now, I don't love Elon Musk but he did manage to put this all together and it's pretty amazing. I think part of it is his recklessness, and willing to lose everything if he fails.

Bill Gates tries to change the world for the better but he's so conservative that he only somewhat moves the needle.

It's very depressing, all these billionaires could at least be putting their money into R&D but they just use it to maintain their wealth and keep others down.

Musk didn't invent electric cars or found Tesla. He used his family wealth from apartheid-era African emerald mines and paypal (a company that became valuable by acting as a bank but avoiding bank regulation) to buy into Tesla after other people spent several years designing the cars.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 23, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

I thought he founded Tesla with the proceeds of his stake in paypal?

A lot of people worship Musk as if he is some kind of living god. I wonder if his work is a net positive for society or if he's actively making things worse for all of us.

He strikes me as a 21st century version of Howard Hughes.

He didn't found Tesla but as part of his big investment in it in which he appointed himself the CEO he struck a deal with the founders to be called a "co-founder"

e: for all of what you're saying about Musk's foresight and vision in productive investments he also put $1.5B of Tesla's money into bitcoins two weeks ago

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 23, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Is this "newegg shuffle" thing that people keep referring to basically just newegg letting you put your name in a hat whenever they get some cards in stock to see if you can buy one?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

yes but not so fast, you also have to take a grenade-tier power supply bundled in to raise the price an extra $150

lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol they make it sound like he cares about game consoles when the real impetus for the government to get involved is that car companies can't get the chips they need

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

The Biden administration is going to be nothing but EOs to form committees to review/investigate whatever issue to make it seem like things are happening lol

yeah he promised a return to pre-trump normalcy and he's already delivering

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rinkles posted:

What caused the chip shortage for cars?

Everyone is saying it's because surging demand for laptops and webcams and other poo poo people were buying during covid ate up all the supply. The car makers probably canceled orders of chips when they scaled back production last year and now they want to put new orders in to TSMC et al but they're in the back of the line behind everyone that's been ordering for the past year.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shipon posted:

Just in time manufacturing will never fail us! Lets just pocket the savings and give our wonderful intelligent CEOs massive bonuses because nothing will ever cause a disruption in supply chains

Funnily enough Toyota, which invented JIT manufacturing, chose to not cancel their orders and said a couple weeks ago that unlike every other car company they expect to not have any production problems because they've been stockpiling the chips they need.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

give me your spot in line

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If gamer demand that was boosted from the pandemic is driving the price for GPUs, then why didn't GPU prices skyrocket during the first 9 months of the pandemic and only started rising meteorically once the cryptocurrency craze kicked off again?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

can they fix not having transistors in software?

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 1, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mordekai posted:

Am I a fool for going with Pop! OS in my new desktop built around the 3070? I really don't care much about RTX, maybe for trying it out in some games.

I mean if you want to play modern games it's usually Windows or nothing. Nvidia doesn't really offer terrific driver support at all for games on Linux, and even non-game graphics features are usually years behind on Linux. they just implemented on-demand GPU usage (ie, the main Gnome/KDE/whatever can be run on cpu or integrated gpu and then the dedicated GPU can be called upon to just render particular X windows) in like 2019 when the equivalent functionality has been in the windows drivers forever

If you bought the graphics card to run deep learning jobs or mine bitcoins then do whatever

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 18, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think sometimes the machine will shut off the GPU or put it in low power mode if it thinks there's no display attached

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bus hustler posted:

Good news, stock is improving...

... in grape nuts! Maybe GPUs are next.

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1374584257738313730

hell yeah now the canal can get enough fiber to get unblocked

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

will they start a new EVGA queue for the 3080 Ti so i can sign up near the start

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

repiv posted:

the rumour mill says they're aiming to ship developer hardware next year

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-openbci-immersive-vr-games/

i'd rather them focus on making existing VR tech more affordable and accessible but valves gonna valve :shrug:

half life: barney, available only in smell-o-vision

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

its not a lot of room. The fancy 3080s are within spitting distance of the FE 3090 at least in synthetics like 3dmark.

I feel like it really is just about the extra RAM and if you can use it.

doesnt the 3080 have not enough RAM to actually run stuff that it otherwise could could at 4k? That's what I've heard

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they can just call it the 40100

then the next most expensive one will be the 40200

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Nvidia 4000 series comes in Tall, Venti, and Grande

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

shrike82 posted:

have they ever explained what "geforce" stands for?

GamEForce

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

If anything, im morally superior to you who is doing nothing to get GPUs into peoples hands at non scalped prices. Using an unfair and broken system to help others is kind of the opposite of lovely. Its a lot closer to charity.

lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

ayo gently caress ohio

gently caress an ohio though, gotta go back to the homeland Taiwan no lines. Build only though (might be able to buy 2000 series?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQEqv8jWdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj23LGmwxUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUiPiUmpOi4

are GPUs actually easier to get a hold of in taiwan?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

900 series cards can still run nearly every xbone and ps4 gen games at 60 fps at 1080p. i have a 970 and the only game I've tried that it has hiccups on is death stranding, which came out literally last year.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

listen, bud

America DESERVED the gpu shortage

please president biden. save america. Invoke "P".

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they changed their EULA a few years ago to say that data center use of the consumer cards is now out of EULA. this doesn't really matter for individuals but for big businesses it obviously means they couldn't get support if they were using consumer cards.

they haven't installed limiters (yet) on the consumer cards but the workstation and data center cards obviously have much much more VRAM. the 3080 has less vram than the 1080Ti did 4 years ago even though today's deep networks have exploded in size which feels to me a lot like them trying to force people buying GPUs for deep learning into the higher price brackets.

e: also only the most expensive cards support NVLink which is a big need for multi-gpu training

e2:

SourKraut posted:

To answer your second question, I believe they have crippled the FP side for the 3080 Ti, and I think it's even sub-par for the 3090?

iirc they specifically nerfed the mixed-precision and/or fp16 performance on the consumer cards. not terribly devastating for research or prototyping but a big deal for large-scale training

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 14, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I was going to post that Newegg's shipping seemed fine in the past if you used the "shoprunner" shipping which is some kind of paid amazon prime-like shipping service for multiple online stores (but they give away free memberships if you have an american express credit card) but it looks like Newegg took away that option lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

For the EVGA step up gambit if you buy an extended manufacturer warranty does it transfer to the new card? From here: https://www.evga.com/warranty/extended/ it looks like the useless filler cards people are buying then immediately trading in would have an extended warranty cost of a third of the 3090, does EVGA still apply the warranty you bought for your integrated-graphics-tier card to the $2000 GPU?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

strangehamster posted:

If it works as intended your card warranty can be extended 10 years for $20. Why wouldn’t you right?

technically it's only extended 7 years to a total of 10 but it absolutely makes sense for a thing that costs 2000 goddamn dollars

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anyone put in an order on the backordered 210 from adorama and hear anything yet?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

w/r/t manufacturing improving, everyone is saying that the chip shortage will last well into next year and possibly even into 2023.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

This week's cryptocurrency crash has so far just brought the dollar value of ethereum down to where it was less than a month ago. I don't have any idea what the miners' profitability calculations look like but I don't see them really dumping GPUs they don't want anymore or demand drying up from just that level of decline

Craptacular! posted:

That leaves manufacturing, and obviously the mobile market doesn't seem to be feeling too many problems getting stuff from TSMC. A company that is confident it will sell whatever it makes will spend more to make more, unless Nvidia is trying to manipulate the used cards market into evaporating like Paul has speculated, though I think the mining booms have proved that the used card market will evaporate itself time and again and so isn't really a problem. The big problem here is companies trying to save themselves a small amount of skin by adopting JIT manufacturing, with Tesla being the one weirdo on the planet who buys stuff they don't need right away to stabilize production for a rainy day. But even Apple relies on JIT, and they don't seem to have too many problems meeting demand. You just actually have to throw money at problems instead of expect the economy to revive if you sit back and do nothing.

Apple still has enough chips because they were apparently one of the only big buyers that didn't cut their orders due to the pandemic. Same with Toyota, the literal inventors of just in time, who the business press have been reporting were the only big auto company that decided to stockpile chips when they forecasted a possible future shortage.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 20, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

repiv posted:

AMD patented a super-resolution technique which might (or might not) be the basis of FSR

Looks to be on similar lines to DLSS 1.0, using ML to fill in extra details via guesswork, as opposed to the DLSS 2.0 route of filling in extra details based on previous frames

https://twitter.com/ayxerious/status/1395337445621723136

Yeah this looks like a standard single-frame superresolution neural network model, which in addition to what others have said about this being more primitive than the Nvidia offering that uses time-domain info and less performant (unless AMD has somehow made up their deficit in AI-specific hardware and drivers), I don't see how all the patent claims would hold up in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

That's a Pre-Grant Publication, not a patent. It is basically just a copy of their initial filing and none of the claims in it have been examined yet.

Ah ok. I've never personally been part of a patent process myself so I don't have experience there but I've seen a lot of granted patents to tech companies that claim stuff that's either prior patented or already in the scientific literature.