Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do people "jailbreak" tvs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Asking probably only hypothetically: what's the best gpu for under a hundred bucks?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Buying used is generally safe?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hah, didn't know M.2 NVME to PCIe adapters were possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLOUhaqkLqY

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Could someone explain how DLSS works beyond machine learning black box technology, cause it sounds like magic. I'd think it was too good to be true if not for the evidence. Maybe an example of some artifacting mistake might show what it's trying to do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

interesting that the PS5 (from what's known) looks least equipped to make use of this type of technology

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Riflen posted:

DLSS is a superior form of Temporal Anti Aliasing (TAA).
TAA takes information about objects in motion from previous frames and upcoming frames and runs it through an algorithm run on the GPU's shaders, to produce an image that can reduce some unwanted artifacts that tend to be present in modern realtime graphics. It's essentially guessing what to draw using data available from inside the GPU at the time the game is running.

DLSS is doing that too, except that DLSS also has access to learned information about reference or 'ground truth' images from the game rendered at 32 samples per pixel. Basically how the game looks when super sampled 32 times. It uses this extra information to produce a final image that can contain information that isn't even present in the previous or upcoming frames.

The icing on the cake is that DLSS is so good at this, that you can have your GPU render the game at 960x540 and produce a better output image than 1920x1080 with TAA. As running the DLSS algorithm costs between 0.4 and 2.5 milliseconds depending on resolution and GPU used, it allows for a nice performance increase at the same time as improving image quality. These resolutions are one example. DLSS 2.0 supports up to 4x upscaling ratio, so 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 is also possible.

http://behindthepixels.io/assets/files/DLSS2.0.pdf

Remarkable

(pardon the imgur compression)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Worth keeping in mind that Death Stranding was developed with the PC version in mind from the beginning.

And maybe I'm wrong, but in most situations, Horizon seems like a more demanding game. Not to say the port couldn't have been better.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ignorance is bliss. There are plenty of issues I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at a decade ago that now will immeasurably irritate me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

And I'm saying this as someone with outdated hardware that's happy to get a consistent 60 at 1080

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/nvidiageforce/status/1292808003897311232?s=21

Twitter banner

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do we expect GPU sizes (dimensions) to continue growing?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

True, but it hasn't stopped pro-AMD youtubers from dismissing DLSS as a software cheat. It'll be pretty telling to see which reviewers do or don't include DLSS in their reviews in a few month's time.

HalloKitty posted:

Oh wow. Such denial. Seriously, a "cheat"? It's clearly a well implemented optimisation, and it's not forced upon the user.
I've probably purchased more AMD cards historically than NVIDIA ones due to price/performance, but it means nothing. Why do people shill for a particular brand? It's not like they get anything out of it

Guess the argument is that right now only a handful of games support it. Cyberpunk will make it harder to sideline.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How much was it around launch?

e: vvvv incidentally answered

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

what does "ti" stand for?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Statutory Ape posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

tbh, based on the prevalence of 4gb cards i guess i have my answer. i wonder how quickly those get phased out

a lot of those are gonna be laptop units too

Yikes, AMD is virtually nonexistant.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe the AMD customer is more discerning about sharing data.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Isn't Adored's record kinda spotty?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

shrike82 posted:

RE pricing, speculation about the next-gen consoles is a lot more interesting. You have 4 consoles - PS5, PS5DE, XSX, XSS.
The former two are differentiated only by an optical drive. The latter two are differentiated by RAM and GPU.
What's the pricing going to be like? People seem to think that $499 is a hard limit given the notoriety of the PS3's $599.

XSS is also supposedly drive-less.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

taqueso posted:

What is the logic behind XBOX 360 being considered a financial disaster?

Idk about disaster, but the red ring fiasco cost them a lot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

shrike82 posted:

599 seems cheap for the amount of hardware packed in these things. Maybe I’m privileged but 599 versus 499 can’t affect demand that much, can it?

$600 probably ain't quite what it was in 2006, and a big part of the problem then that might not exist here is that the competition was much cheaper.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

$600 is pushing it. $700 would be insanity.

Xbox actually already offers financing.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-all-access

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DrDork posted:

finally add HDMI 2.1 to the spec sheet

is that mostly relevant for hooking up to tvs for VRR?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DrDork posted:

That VRR is a (optional) part of the HDMI 2.1 spec

oh god that is gonna be a pain when looking for tvs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

so, assuming that this guy is legit and not just throwing random three and four digit numbers next to each other -

if the 3090 is $1400, then what is that $2000 absolute unit of a card supposed to be?

$2000 was wrong, $1400 is the corrected price. According to him anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mistikman posted:

Welp, gently caress me I guess.

I just built a computer a few months ago with a sandwich style case that only has room for 2 slot GPUs, and was planning on upgrading to a 30 series when they dropped.

With the fan on the back, it seems possible the sandwich style may not work at all if it needs cooling on the back of the card.

I guess I'll have to wait for more information to get released, and might need to get a new case before I can get a 30 series.

I'm guessing the 3 slot requirement is limited to the 3090 and maybe 3080. Unless that's what you wanted.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

Flight Simulator doesn't even use DX12 currently

How did that happen?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dumb question time: is the concept of a modular or multipart gpu at all viable or plausible in the future? So like if we could upgrade our vram or install a standalone compute unit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

That's just asking for a high number of RMA's if you ask me. Some people are less careful with their electronics than others.

My first thought was that it looks a bit fragile

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

When I was looking at my options for a cheap upgrade for freesync compatibility, from what I gleaned, the 970 still outperformed the 1650 most of the time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i think they don't come blower style

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

axeil posted:

I have a freesync monitor. I was under the impression they weren't compatible with NVidia. Is that not the case?

You need a 10 series card or newer

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

joe football posted:

The idea of upgrading from my 1070ti to a card with the same number of gigabtyes feels kind of bad even if that's probably irrational

The 70 line not getting a ram upgrade surprised me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Probably another stupid question: how come board partners? Wouldn't it make sense for Nvidia to be the sole seller? I mean I guess this way ends up making them more money if it's what they're going with, it just seems like a strange set up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

that RTX I/O seems like a big deal

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

3060 likely no earlier than next year, I'm guessing?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

Not sure if this info was available before, but Nvidia's product page now shows different release dates for each card:

3090 - September 24th
3080 - September 17th
3070 - October

it was in the presentation

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gabriel S. posted:

I want to see AMDs response. Not holding my breath.

Any ETA?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Diablo 3 is insanely good, sorry haters.

Also despite being made 8 years ago for toasters some parts can still slow your system down for no apparent reason, guild hideout omg.

D3 on toasters is a myth. A conspiracy by big toast to sell toasters. (It really doesn't run great on low end devices)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

shrike82 posted:

lol that all their performance numbers are RTX and DLSS on

Is it distorting the comparison even if both are using DLSS?