Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I can't wait for both Polaris and Pascal to hit. I am buying whatever is fastest for AU$500. And it looks like it might be close. Honestly it may come down to power efficiency in that bracket!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
For me it's actually going to be pretty seriously between a 970 (AU$500ish) and a 480 if it's competitive. I don't play games enough or care enough about them to want a super high end GPU (I have 1080p monitors). I feel like for once I'm actually the target audience for a release!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I need suggestions on my use case. I run an i5-4570 with a GTX660 (Not Ti). I desire better framerates. However, I currently run two 1080p monitors and have no inclination to upgrade them at this stage. This is partially because I like them and have never felt hindered by lack of real estate and they're good IPS screens so they have a nice image. The other reason is I have no desire to upgrade to 4k (Which is what I feel is the next logical step at this stage, skipping past 1440p) because a) they cost a fucktonne and b) there are no cards that can push a consistent and high framerate at 4k.

I guess I was kind of disappointed with the GTX1080 in that regard. 4k is being pushed as the next 1080p, and with good cause, but to that end the GTX1080 can't give a good ~60FPS a majority of the time which kind of defeats the point of it. I guess what I'm getting at is I feel it's complete overkill to get a GTX1080 for 1440p and under compared to a lesser but still proficient card and it doesn't cut it at 4k in a way I'd want.

So that's my use case. I'm seriously leaning towards a RX480 for my next card if it comes out <AU$500 because it purports to have GTX970ish performance for less than they're going for. Am I right in assuming anything better is going to be complete overkill for 1080p gaming? When 4k becomes an attainable thing I'll consider upgrading to a kicking rad card but for now I think the RX480 would be the way to go, provided it lives up to its targets and claims, correct?

PS: Not in a hurry to upgrade, so I'ma see how this 480vs1060 thing pans out.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I keep reading these "leaks" (Unsubstantiated rumours, really) about the RX480 where it apparently overclocks to 980Ti/1070 levels and get excited. Then reality kicks in and I remember that it's probably a bunch of crap. Then I check 980 (Non-Ti) benchmarks and see that the 980 crushes everything at 1080p, and I'm finding that the RX480 "reliably" hits that mark and then I'm fine. Then I see another rumour and my heart jumps. Rinse and repeat.

Basically I hate WCCFTech for putting out everything they hear with no filter, seemingly. They really are like the kid whose uncle or dad works at Nintendo. I don't get why the RX480 has to be up against the 980TI/1070. Yeah, it'd be cool but holy crap it's a US$200 card. That's not even remotely in the same bracket. If it can hit 970-980 levels without too much of an Australia tax I think it'll do well.

I'm not sure what r/AMD is gonna do when it's not the bee's knees. That sure is a depressing subreddit. Lots of denial and brand-worship.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Puddin posted:

I'll just be happy if it's around $350 AUD, been meaning to upgrade my old rear end 5770 and should be a pretty good jump for not a huge amount of cash.

I just can't justify $700+ dollars for a video card these days.

Neither can I but from rumours we're apparently looking at an RRP of AU$450 for the 8GB version. Ordering online and shipping from the US (+$40ish) it looks around AU$370. So basically if we get hit with the Australia tax and I can't get one for $400ish I'm saying gently caress it and ordering from the US. If it's AU$450 then there is basically no reason to get one over the now $450 GTX970, except maybe some power savings. So stupid.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
$300 is just not possible. If the 8GB version is US$239 (Which seems to hold true) then a straight conversion is about AU$325. So that's like the bare, bare minimum. Add on twenty bucks for the part cost of bulk shipping and we're at AU$345. So basically AU$350, at best. I'd be happy with around AU$380. Actually, I'd be happy under $400 in general. How they price this is really the biggest factor for AMD outside of America. Yeah, yeah, it's $200 (For the base version in the US), but if we're getting hit with a mark-up, especially for custom versions from vendors, then the RX480 loses a lot of appeal. You can get a 4GB 970 from Umart or similar for $400. When the card it's aiming for in terms of performance is cheaper than it? Seems a bit backwards. The whole point of the RX480 is that it's good, not amazing, performance for a great cost. Only it seems everywhere that's not the US isn't going to get it for that great cost. They get a middling card for about the same as a year old nVidia card.

Not trying to hate on AMD. I'm still seriously considering the 480. But if the 970 drops below its cost? Who knows. Basically, AMD, try not to gently caress this up.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I did read somewhere (I forget where) that the Polish magazine that had the 480 equal to a 970 was using a Zotac (?) factory overclocked card that performs on par with a normal 980. Or something.

It's been a crazy ride, AMD. I might actually miss the rampant speculation and rumours. It made the internet feel like some sort of interactive detective or spy movie. But hey, as soon as the 480 comes out and benchmarks happen, we'll just move to speculating on Vega.

Also, AU$440 for the 480 is a rip. I'd wait for a 1060 but that's not happening til like October. Ugh. I really want a new, reasonably priced card before then, hopefully in the next few months. Probably gonna bite the bullet and import one cause gently caress paying that.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 29, 2016

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Holy poo poo AMD, you had one job: Decent last-genish performance for a decent price and not terrible power. Now we get cards that may catch fire and aren't even fast doing it. I really want to love you AMD but drat it, give me something to work with.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Deuce posted:

A GTX 970 is "decent last-genish performance" :confused:

~970 performance for $200 is a good card for the money.

Until it starts your computer on fire, anyway.

That's my point. They were so close, but the whole power/fire thing just ruins it. Here's hoping r/AMD is right and it's a software thing. I somehow doubt it though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

wicka posted:

Have you actually read any reviews? Like all the way to the end?

Yes. I should mention that my post was a bit hyperbolic. Performance wise everything matches up with what I expected. Pricewise I can grab an 8GB model here for AU$380 or so. That is very good. I like the RX480. What I don't like, and the only thing stopping me right now, is this power draw via bus issue. Yes, it's most likely fine. But I don't want "most likely" or "should be". If I'm spending any amount of money on a card I want to know I can put it in and not have to worry.

The 480 is still high on my list, and I hope this is just a software thing or a fluke or something. But I really don't feel like I'm a bad guy for expecting to not have to worry about these sort of things. The RX480 is fine for me. It gives 970 level performance for a great price (Even in Australia now!) and that's good. It just has some teething issues it seems, and I'm a bit disappointed at what that main issue is.

I'm not trying to vilify AMD. If anything I'm not wanting to come off as "RX480 is perfect!" even though for me it basically is.

Edit: Also I don't overclock and thus don't care for it outside of a good factory overclocked card with a full warranty. So the 480 not having headroom doesn't even register as an issue for me.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 30, 2016

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

wicka posted:

I understand that, and it's perfectly reasonable to be cautious. Nonetheless, it's incredibly disingenuous to read a review that reports the excessive power draw and then seemingly ignore the fact that the same review recommends the card. That's my problem with this whole controversy - people in forums and on Reddit are freaking out over test results, but the testers are not.

Agreed. It's a personal issue for me, and I don't mean to imply that's it's terribad and the 480 will catch fire. However, even though the reviews are positive and indicate that there shouldn't be much concern, I have an issue that a brand new card, from the factory, seems to operate outside of specification. Disregarding everything else I don't understand why this is a thing.

Also I am aware that it may very well be a fluke or some bug or something. I'm not buying the card today or week one, so it's not an issue to see how this plays out. I'm also keen to see what NV does with the 1060 which is supposedly getting reviews next week? It's all up in the air. I don't know what the gently caress is happening any more.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 30, 2016

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Huh, so I guess the consensus would be I'm worrying to much about the bus draw then? Good, I suppose. I wonder if the whole power draw/cooling thing will mark the start of a new range of crazy factory modified/OC'd cards, especially given the supposed silicon lottery with Polaris. Maybe people will start reviewing individual cards in roundups again instead of "get the card with best cooling". Mainly because, as I said, I don't overclock, so I want the best performance out of the box. But the XFX 480 Reference looks cool, so if it's all the same in a few weeks I might as well just grab that.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've had computers with Intel CPUs and nVidia cards since i was old enough to build computers, but it sure as hell wasn't brand loyalty. At the start it was ignorance and taking what I could get and when I got older/had more money it was because those two companies had the best stuff in my price range at that time. I don't understand how people essentially brand themselves so willingly. Like, AMD is doing good in my book. I don't game much but I do stuff that benefits from more cores (audio stuff mainly, along with some video stuff) so if I was building a computer now I'd honestly go Ryzen.

But holy poo poo the response from people has been crazy. Like, really, take a step back and realize it's a product. It's not gentle ribbing from the other team, it's straight up abuse from people. They're companies people. If they make a product you want, get it. If not, don't. Don't go apeshit if someone dislikes thing X you think is good.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I want the Vega leak to be true so badly. I really, really want AMD to be for real competitive, despite being almost strictly Intel/nVidia for my entire life. So I'm hoping for a win. What I'm expecting is the fastest card to barely hit 1080 speeds or the 1080Ti competitor to use like 4 billion watts.

Don't screw it up AMD. Again.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Can anyone in Australia confirm that for once we're not the ones getting hosed on prices? I checked Newegg and a couple other places to sewe what you guys were talking about and holy poo poo you weren't kidding. GTX 1070 for USD$1000? What the gently caress.

I checked the usual suspects over here and a 1070 is running AUD$700-800 which is less than USD$650.

It only just dawned how hosed up mining has made prices over there. For sure prices have gone up here but gently caress that poo poo. I really am sorry for you guys.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

those are 3rd party seller prices and there is very little evidence anyone is buying at that price in any real amounts

Oh really? I didn't realise Newegg did that too. So what is the actual price people are paying for, say, a 1070? Is it around the $600-650 mark? Also supply is still a problem over there, correct? I haven't seen any shortages here.

A dozen or so pages ago there was pics of empty GPU shelves in stores. Exaggerated or not? It's so hard to distinguish what's hyperbole and what's factual at the moment.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I know y'all wanted AMD to hit the high marks but as someone looking to upgrade, and doesn't care about raytracing this gen, is a RX5700 really that bad versus a 2060S?

From what I can see it seems like they're pretty on par, but often the RX draws less power and is a little cooler. Not having raytracing sucks but as someone who runs a GTX680 I'm not seeing how AMD is a non-option.

I would like to mess with raytracing but I don't play games much anyway and if I do I don't want to drop to low details and resolutions just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So, uh, does anyone know what the hell is going on with Australian pricing? The 2060S is meant to be USD$399 and the RX 5700 is meant to be USD$349. Fair enough.

Fast forward to now and a 2060S in Aus is *at best* $729 and a RX 5700 XT is $629 (all Aus prices). This is nuts. If you don't care for raytracing you can get an XT $100 cheaper and aimed at the 2070S.

The gently caress is even going on? Is raytracing worth $200 over a normal 5700?

References
https://www.pccasegear.com/category/193_2028/graphics-cards/geforce-rtx-2060-super
https://www.pccasegear.com/category/193_2026/graphics-cards/radeon-rx-5700-xt