Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

I'm disappointed with the price. I was aiming for a new build once Haswell comes out, and at 999 it doesn't alter the current price/performance ratio of the market. I knew the Titan would be out of my budget anyway, but I was hoping it might result in more bang for buck at the 600-700 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I'm hoping that all this stalling on the 290X price is because they have a real punch to deliver at the end of the presentation. $499 would be just swell. I had to put off doing a new build back in April, but AMD knocking this out of the park will make it all worth it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Did they just try a Steve Jobs "one more thing" to show us a 15 minute video about BF4 and the Frostbite engine? Unless the price on the 290x is mindblowingly good, I am going Nvidia this holiday season out of spite for making me sit through this.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
What a wasted opportunity by AMD. So much time wasted on gameplay videos that had no wow factor and audio. To top it all off, they don't actually deliver pricing for the 290X, which was the main thing everyone was hoping to get out of this.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Not being able to do a new build in the summer is looking better and better. I thought I'd have to decide between an overclocked 780 and 290X for $650, but it seems like I will get even more bang for my buck with the 780Ti launching a few weeks later. I'm guessing this is why AMD held off on pricing.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
AMD have done a decent job. Coming in at the 549 price is a pretty big deal as their card sits right between the 780 and Titan, which is what the 780Ti is supposed to do, but does it at a price range where Nvidia may be uncomfortable matching them. Once we get non-reference cooled cards, the 290X major mark against it, will be alleviated and Nvidia are going to have a hard time getting close to the price/performance offered. As someone who is building a new system at the end of November, I couldn't have expected any more from the red team.

I'm hoping Nvidia do feel the need to compete before the holiday buying season. There is not a whole lot of room between the 780 and Titan to begin with, so performance wise we aren't going to be getting that dramatic an improvement in performance with the Ti. Hopefully this pushes them to keep prices at or perhaps even a little less where the current 780 lies when they launch in November. If we get HOF/Lightning Ti models at the 650ish range, going Nvidia would be a no brainer. If we have a $100 price difference between the non-reference cooled 290X and equivalent Ti, I'll be going AMD.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

This is exactly why the 290X was not a "meh" card as many people were claiming. The performance/price ratio it brought to the table was incredible, and was going to force a response from Nvidia. At 499 base MSRP, a factory OC'd 780 GTX is a good buy over the 290X unless you play at a very high resolution. I'm eager to see what Nvidia brings with the Ti that isn't already covered by the custom 780s and Titan.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The R290 seems to be the card that makes the most sense at the $399+ assuming the non-reference models come out before December. With the OC that Anandtech managed, it puts some real daylight between itself and a Titan in a lot of tests. At ~$450 for custom card, it will likely make the upcoming 780Ti rather unattractive for gaming with its 699 price tag.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 5, 2013

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

El Scotch posted:

TPU has the 780 Ti review up.

A bit faster than a 290x, quieter, less power usage and overclocks well. Much more expensive. You get 50% more bang-for-your-buck with a 290.

Pretty much as expected from Nvidia. Waiting for non-reference 290 and 290X models seems to be the way to go for those looking for good performance/price ratios. I'm sure the Lightning/FTW/SC versions of the Ti will be monsters, given the gains already seen from the overclocks on various reviews, but you are starting to hit 290 CF price range at that point.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I know I've complained about this before, but AMD not ensuring that the 290 and 290X non-reference models come out before the biggest shopping event of the year is such terrible management on their part (especially considering that the cards seem designed with alternative cooling options in mind).

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

So is there like an established timeframe for when we will start seeing MSI's twin-frozr 1080ti's? Or anything that isn't founders basically?

Well the Asus STRIX 1080 Ti is slated for early April, so I guess we will get all non FE cards around that point.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
My 1080ti is not exactly impressing at 3440x1440, but at $1,200 for a 2080Ti, I'll hang on for next year's revision.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The Battlefield Demo has done the best job at showing the reflection hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
My 3080 is not quite cutting it at 3440x1440, but at these prices, I think I'll wait for the 5080 and just do an entirely new build.

Power requirements are starting to be concerning as well. 850W doesn't always cut it for my 3080, so you are probably going to need 1000-1200 to feel comfortable on a 4080+. Not only are these cards expensive, but they are going to start to become quite costly to operate.