Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

metallyca posted:

I'm in the same boat as you, running a 560Ti and started having issues about a month ago. Although my issue is the driver stops responding and Windows is unable to restart it so I get the dreaded BSOD. Don't remember exactly what driver I was using when it first started happening but reverted to 314.22 and didn't have a problem for a month until I decided to try the latest beta drivers. Ran fine for about a week and when I got home today Windows had recovered from a blue screen so again I've reverted back to 314.22 and we'll see what happens.

Temps were pretty much what you stated above, ~35C idle and about 70C on load.

I'm also in the same boat with the same card, this is a common problem with anyone who is on an older 400-500 card, the only good driver right now are the 314.22 ones, everything past that will cause random freezes/lockups/BSOD's. Nvidia has acknowledged there is a problem but have yet been able to fix it in like 6 drivers since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

FetalDave posted:

Looks like nVidia released their newest drivers this morning.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/66884

Doesn't look like they changed much from the previous beta drivers. These are WHQL.

So has anyone with a GTX 560Ti been brave enough to try these yet, and how do they fair? I've been stuck on 314.22 for what feels like a year now because every new 32X.XX driver has giving me weird stutter/mini-lockups.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I don't want to be one of those dicks from the GeForce forums that tells all the Fermi (GTX 400/500 and some OEM/laptop 600) users that the solution to most of your problems (that don't involve Battlefield 4, anyway) is spelled 314.22, but nVidia isn't giving me a lot of options.

If you're wondering:

1) Pretty much no one knows why:
If it was a card fault it should be showing up in games, or anywhere at random, but it mostly shows up in hardware acceleration when it thinks it can deal with lower power states (like browsers using Flash or some forms of the Windows desktop).
If it was a driver fault nVidia should be getting their rear end in gear already.
If it was an overclock fault, see above; the fix should still be in the driver, because asking people to use some random software package to restore stock clocks that could take a lot of time to dig up if you don't speak Wikipedia and Guru3D is outrageous (in the literal definition, that it merits outrage). Also stock clock users have been hit too so that ain't it.
If it was a hardware or software incompatibility it's too common to be some random thing from Western Goddamn Nowhere, so see above again.
If it was a fault on some other hardware, given how many reports there have been, it's about the least likely coincidence that has ever happened.
If it was a push to get people to buy newer products, well, your own opinion isn't exactly rare, and I'd say their PR department should be freaking out if I thought they had one worth the title.

What's likely confounding fixing it is that it takes many hours - anywhere between a day and a half to a week - to actually show up, and the collapse is more or less complete in just a few minutes. Since most people shut down or sleep their systems at night I imagine a lot more people are affected but never have cause to notice.

2) That driver I linked says only up to Windows 8 but it works on 8.1 just fine. (This is how I'm running a 560 Ti right now.)

3) Other people are having similarly serious problems on cards that aren't Fermi-based, but it seems that unlike those cards the Fermis are hit comprehensively.

There is a small glimmer of light down this mile long tunnel finally, Nvidia has actually now acknowledged this problem and seems to have buckled down to try and fix it, who knows if or when but it's hope. They'll even pay all shipping costs for the people willing to send there problem cards in (not like Nvidia doesn't have closets full of old GTX460-560Ti's etc.). They will also soon be releasing a special driver that will help them in getting more information in trying to figure this thing out.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/621899/geforce-drivers/desktop-internet-browser-freeze-or-tdr-thread-w-geforce-460-560-gpus/1

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 23, 2013

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I know I'm going to jinks this now, but yesterdays in the new drivers this caught my eye in the change logs,

So I gave them a try and its been 24 hours or so and no crashing as of yet (on Firefox 25.0). I'm one of the guys who's been stuck on 314.22 for my 560Ti for 6+ months because of unknown crashing/lockup problems, so these might finally be good drivers for people with 400-500 cards.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Small question, I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers yesterday, no problems so far, but did notice that in CP > Program settings, some of the apps are named incorrectly, are others experiencing similar naming problems or did I goof with the install and should reinstall?

Some that stand out are Mark of the Ninja being called Blitzkrieg II, Shatter being called Shadow Harvest, and Sandboxie being called Age of Pirates 2 (not even close Nvidia ha!) Seems like a corruption happened or something.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
This question might be better suited for another thread but it's video card related, so why not.

I plan on getting a 1070 (oh man going from a 560Ti >_<) but my monitors are two dell u2412M, which have no HDMI, newer video cards don't have 2x DVI ports generally it seems, so I think I need to get a special HDMI to DVI cable correct?

Is this what I'm looking for? So I can hook my two monitors to a modern video card. https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-HDMI-DVI-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00NH11X64/?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1465087569&sr=1-21

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Psy890 posted:

You could also do DP -> DVI

I'm not really sure what this is, a quick google lookup, make it look to me like it's just a versatile display converter for hdmi/dvi/vga? Is there any advantages over the hdmi to dvi cable I linked to above? I assume I'll still be limited to DVI standards or whatever like no audio only digital, etc.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Stormangel posted:

Someone else mentioned it, but in case it wasn't seen, the U2412M has a display port on it. Get you 2 display port cables and use the 2 display ports if the 1070 you get has 2, or 1 display port and 1 DVI if not.

To late, already bought the cable. :doh: But good to know.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Sorry! I know this gets asked a bazillion times, but I'm about to pull the trigger on this card MSI GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G 6GB.

This is a good buy correct? A 1060 6GB, will definitely fill my needs but there is always that one card that suffers from coil whine or loudness, etc. I just want to make sure this is one of the good ones. Also there are so many versions, SC, FTW, GAMING X 6G, OC, OCV1, like WTF.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Enos Cabell posted:

It should be good, I have the 1080 Gaming X and it is quiet and awesome.

Whelp, trigger pulled. No one better say anything bad now.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I wouldn't mind MSI buying me a new house.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Pachter says a lot of dumb things, but to be fair to the guy, in this case it was just a reporter being dumb, basically making poo poo up for clickbait headlines.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282025

quote:

Originally Posted by michaelpachter

I've never used the word "twit" in my life.

I absolutely used the term racist, but only upon being questioned repeatedly about what I meant when I called PC gamers insular.

The reporting here was irresponsible. I've done 6000 interviews over the last 15 years (we're required to log them), and somehow, have been able to hide my bigoted side until today . . . I'm not sure what the "reporter" was trying to do, other than stir the pot. Yes, I said that the PS4 Pro probably wouldn't appeal to PC gamers, The rest is just silly.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I haven't been following video card news since I got mine a while back, but seeing all this BIOS/Cards are melting talk has me wondering, I have a MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X or whatever, I also ran GPU-Z and it says my RAM is of the Samsung kind, I don't need to take any action do I? Will my pets be safe from a burning house if I go for a quick haircut?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Grog posted:

I have the same card with the same Samsung RAM. At least right now, you shouldn't need to do anything. One of MSI's moderators has posted an updated BIOS for that card on their forums a couple of times, but they aren't giving any kind of changelog so nobody knows what's different, and if you're not actually experiencing any problems then you shouldn't need to update the BIOS at all.

Thank God. I was getting a little worried that I wasn't going to be able to use the phrase "gently caress you got mine". Dodged a bullet there. Though now I'll always be left wondering just how Hearthstone could've felt running at 900+ fps if I just went for that 1070 instead.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 5, 2016

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Has anyone done the "minimalistic install method" where you extract and delete almost everything from the Driver package, to get around the 500MB bloat that comes with them, I've been to chicken poo poo to try it, but if results from here sounds positive I'll give it a go this time around, just that it sounds like a good way to get random BSOD's if something is missing.

Basically the gist of it for people who don't know is you Unzip the entire archive into a folder. Once you enter the folder you can now delete unneeded subfolders.
Keep the following folders/files and delete the rest.

Display.Driver Folder
HDAudio Folder (Can Delete if not needed)
NVI2 Folder (A part of the Installer)
Physx Folder (Can Delete if not needed)
EULA.txt
ListDevices.txt
setup.cfg
setup.exe

After you remove the other stuff and have just the above left, you can double click the setup.exe and it will run the Nvidia Installer and -only- install the above drivers. (Display, HDAudio, and Physx) It cuts out the extra bloat they keep adding while still allowing you to uninstall the drivers from add/remove programs. It also includes the Nvidia Control Panel. Also it installs Vulkan Run Time Libraries as well, which seems to be baked into the display driver completely.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Your way just sorta cleans up space by removing dormant installers (which might be needed later if you ever want to uninstall something from the Control Panel, etc.) You still get all the unnecessary telemetry installed from nvcontainer for example and then there's services like ProfileUpdater and Watchdog constantly running, which to me is the appeal of this.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
If your Nvidia folders total ~330MBs then you are one of the dumb nerds you are talking about here, because they are definitively not even close to ~330. Also this is not a space issue thing, but thats still a nice bonus with this.

Anyways, a trip report, I did it and all functionality still works flawless, it's nice having a much cleaner setup with no additional tasks to worry about, etc. Would recommend!

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

craig588 posted:

Yeah, a guy I know who never reformatted since he built his Ivybridge machine saved 15GB by clearing out his Nvidia installer folder.

^^You're missing telemetry functionality though. That's fine if you only play old stuff, but dumb if you want to play new stuff.

I tend to play emulators, Hearthstone, and 1$ tiered Humble games, so yeah...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So you DO go in and delete the Installer2 folder, because that's ~600MBs alone, found the Pagefile guy!