Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
Has anybody explored ways to turn off the GPU Boost in the 600 series cards, or the basic EVGA 670 in particular? As convinced as nVidia seems to be of the effectiveness of their algorithm, I'm watching my framerates drop into the 20s (in Minecraft) because the card doesn't think it needs to be running at its rated clock speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

Fanelien posted:

As I understand it's like turbo boost, but I've not heard of a way to turn it off. Maybe use EVGA Precision to set a fixed voltage so it can't downvolt and lower the clockspeed?

Tried it... the card ignores my voltage setting when it decides to switch to another performance step.

Factory Factory posted:

There isn't a way to turn it off, currently.

Thanks, good to know. I'm going to talk to EVGA support about it anyway, in hopes that they connect me with someone in engineering that knows how. If that doesn't work, I'll probably try the same thing with nvidia.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

Oh, I partially answered my own question, so I'll post it here for public edification. If you use NVIDIA Inspector (http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5077-nvidia-inspector.html) to open the driver settings (the wrench and screwdriver next to the driver version), in the Common section, there's a "Power management mode" setting. Pick "Prefer maximum performance", and it will at least stop dropping below the default clock speed (915mhz on the non-superclocked 670).

It's still not really respecting my overclock settings, but seems happy to go well above 1100mhz when the algorithm decides it's time to boost the speed.

(edit: it's in the nvidia control panel too... i guess that bit got erased when i updated the driver. yeah, that vvv)

straw man fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 12, 2012