Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

HalloKitty posted:

MSRP is $299.

CamelCamelCamel is a great thing for finding old prices; and I can find 280Xs that were $300~

vvv Most definitely, the 280X compares most closely (basically totally equal) to a 770. If it were still available at MSRP all day long, it would be a no-brainer

Still kicking myself for buying my 270X ($219.99) back when 280X prices had gone stupidly stratospheric ($100 to $200 above MSRP).

Welp, could have bought a GTX 760 for $40 more, but I was being exceptionally cheap about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Royal Hammer posted:

This is the card that I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127775

What are your thoughts? R9 270x 4GB or GTX 760 2GB?

I have one of these in 2GB form: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121802.

Like Aleron says, it trades blows with the GTX 760. A good thing too, considering how I picked mine up a couple months back for $40 less than what the 760 was retailing a couple months back ($259). :getin: Sadly, I haven't had any GPU-heavy games (GTA IV demands more from the CPU) to cane the poo poo out of it with to form any definite impression just yet.

If I was in the market for a new card right this second, I'd probably just get a GTX 770 and be happy with the vastly improved performance, especially with dual monitors.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

kode54 posted:

But smart people buy the one with discrete graphics.

EDIT: I was thinking of the 13" MacBook Pro, which you can't get with discrete graphics.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

After reading all that history, I feel like a goddamned scrub. The first bonafide PC video card I've ever bought? My R9-270X :toot:

Up until then, I exclusively used laptops for my computing needs: first a 2003 HP with a 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon, then a 2007 Acer Aspire with a nVidia GeForce 7600GS and finally a 2010 Gateway with glorious Intel HD graphics. :suicide: At least the GeForce let me play GTA: San Andreas at reasonably high quality, plus it could handle plenty of SNES emulated games and a few PS1 ones pretty well. Then I managed to gently caress up said GeForce through attempted overclocking and wound up buying the Gateway instead of replacing the mobo on the Acer.

Before all that, my first PC I could call my own was a Dell Dimension with a 166 Mhz Pentium. That was back in 2001-2002. And I still can't remember what kind of graphics it had. All I could remember was that using Photoshop was an exercise in monk-like patience.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 8, 2014

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I'm looking real hard at an Asus STRIX GTX 970 (when they're back in stock). I wonder how much of a step up it'll be from my current R9-270X.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Ragingsheep posted:

People are unhappy with Nvidia's response 970's memory issue so the best thing to do would be to give them more money. :ughh:

http://imgur.com/SRum08k

Alright, so I have to ask: is it still worth upgrading to a GTX 970 from my current R9 270X? Because right about now, that's pretty much all I care about. I likely wouldn't give much of a poo poo if I'd bought a 770 instead, but that's neither here nor there. :shrug:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Internet Explorer posted:

I still can't get over people spending $1000 for a god drat graphics card.

I can't bring myself to spend over $400 on a video card, otherwise I'd have a 980 right now.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Panty Saluter posted:

Call me back when you've carried it two miles to a girl's house :colbert:

:thurman:

Soooooo.........about that Fury...

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The Deadly Hume posted:

I'm swapping out an AMD for an nVidia card...

Just bought and installed my MSI GTX 970. Can't wait to put it through its paces later.

So....what's the going rate for a R9 270X on the used market? It's an ASUS OC Top Edition and with no other machine to throw it in, it's set to collect dust unless I decide to sell it.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 25, 2015

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Can anyone tell me where AMD and nVidia's cards stand in relation to one another? I had a pretty good idea until AMD's 300-series shell games started confusing the hell out of me.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Miley Virus posted:

Doesn't come with a backplate if you care about sagging or whatever. That's basically it.

The one I bought didn't have a backplate. If that's something you want, you'd probably be better off with one of EVGA's 970s.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm not seeing that in benchmarks, look at TPU's review of the 950, numbers for both the reference 950 and the MSI one are there and they tell a completely different story, for some examples:

This also neatly explains the yawning performance chasm between the GTX 960 and 970.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

spasticColon posted:

I'm now really tempted to just go balls out and get a ~$450 1070 and not have to worry about upgrading my video card at 1080p for 4 years.

Same here.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The Iron Rose posted:

I started PC gaming late, and being in high school went all in on the gaming laptop thing.

Started out with a 750m in a Y410p, which over the course of several product replacements due to it being a poo poo laptop made it through to the 755m, the 860m, and then finally the 960m.

Around the same time I also built a desktop with a Gtx 760. Wasn't in love with performance, so I bought a second 760 secondhand. SLI wasn't half bad then, and the 760 was a pretty decent card for it, but I upgraded to a 970 a year or two later and that's what's in there now.

Also bought a laptop with a 1070 around a year ago since mobile Pascal cards are actually really good this generation, and that'll keep me comfortable for awhile yet.

Late GPU bloomer here. I exclusively used laptops during college and a few years beyond, so my GPU history was Radeon Mobility 345M > GeForce Go 7600 for a while, then another laptop with Intel onboard graphics.

It was only around early 2014 that I finished up my first desktop build with an R9-270X and briefly stepped up to a GTX 970 a couple of years later.

I'm currently debating between a 1070 and a 1080. Might go with the latter if the price is right.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

MaxxBot posted:

Who even buys these things other than military people with no other option? The one on top is larger than a small mini-ITX desktop.

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/913845906037862400

I would have 7 or 8 years ago, back when I was essentially couchsurfing with relatives.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Right now I'm looking at MSI's 1080 Duke 8G for $509.00. I can't make up my mind whether to just snag the cheapest 1080 now or wait and see how the 1070 Ti launch turns out.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

NihilCredo posted:

I've been thinking of upgrading for a while at the first chance, and I have a tempting Black Friday deal on a Zotac GTX 1080Ti Mini, a little over 10% off. And the mini form factor is especially interesting to me because I already have a small case (Core V1, which does fit most but not all full-sized GPUs) and I might switch to an even smaller one next year.

I'm kinda out of the loop so I have some questions:

1) I've heard bad things about Zotacs, quality control and noise and such. Are they so bad I should I stay away?

2) Last I read about GTX 2080s, they were unlikely to be released before Q2 2018 and the first few models were also unlikely to significantly outperform a 1080 Ti. Is that still the current forecast?

3) My current screen is a 1080p (which is currently stressing my old GTX 750 Ti pretty hard), so obviously I'd be looking to upgrade shortly after this purchase. I understand the 1080 Ti can push 4k @ 60fps, but that's with current-gen games. If I want to keep this card for at least two years, would it be wiser to get something a little smaller, like a 3440 x 1440?

1) I've heard other goons pan Zotac's fans as being bottom-of-the-barrel, but I don't have any personal experience to verify that.
2) I thought about holding out for a next gen nVidia card, too, but doing that seems to be a fool's errand. 1080 prices seem to be going back up, so I'm leaning more towards a 1070 Ti.
3) I don't see why unless you want to save some money on your next card. If you can get a 1080 Ti, then go for it and enjoy the 4k gaming performance while it lasts.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

slidebite posted:

It's just so odd it's fine when the card is under load, it's when it's doing minimal work I get the kernel error.

My R9 270X has been doing this lately - it'll work perfectly when gaming or doing anything else that puts it under load, but it'll occasionally black-screen when doing nothing but surfing on Chrome. So I cleaned out as much dust from the PC case as possible, re-did the PCI-E connections by giving each one its own cable instead of just using one cable and the splitter that comes with it and completely uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. Now I'm just waiting to see if I'll have any more trouble out of it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

slidebite posted:

ee: Except I just was browsing google maps satellite view and I had it happen again. This is so odd. Plugged in my kill-a-watt. I'm basically sitting at 68w, when I scroll in google maps it spikes to 130-135 when a new area loads, but settles right down. No idea if that power is more GPU or CPU related though

I turned off GPU rasterization in Chrome thinking it would help prevent the lagging/freezing I was getting whenever a GIFV or Twitter/Facebook video was being loaded. You might want to go into Chrome Settings and turn off Hardware Acceleration, then go to Chrome://flags and turn off GPU rasterization and see if that helps.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Palladium posted:

In the grim dark buttcoin future of PC gaming, there's is only APUs

I wonder if this is gonna push a lot of gamers into console gaming, especially if we go through an entire year of ridiculously expensive GPUs.

Speaking of which, I wonder how prices on the lower end of the scale (1060 and below) are looking.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

OhFunny posted:

You know things are bad when even the Reddit crowd is saying it's better to buy a console instead building a PC right now.

I wonder if this is gonna have a knock-on effect w/r/t to CPU and mobo sales. It'd be interesting to see dirt-cheap CPUs side-by-side with expensive-as-hell video cards.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

tehinternet posted:

I’m really tempted to list my old 770 for a few hundred bucks on eBay just to see if someone will bite.

At this point, someone just might.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

PerrineClostermann posted:

...8000 series? Radeon or nVidia? 'cause I'm imagining some new old stock 8800GTs or something.

More than likely 8400 GSs. I can't imagine why anyone would want one except as a way to run a decade-older system in a pinch. Yet the nearest Micro Center keeps them in stock for some reason.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

GPU Megathread - Ryzen 2400G and 2200G out now

GPU Megathread - gently caress this poo poo - I'll just buy a console and sit this one out for a while

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Alpha Mayo posted:

Just use Hynix ram on all your cards. Problem solved

Or encourage the IRS to be relentless hardasses about taxing buttcoins.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Dead Goon posted:

No, just means it is only suitable for 1080p gaming.

:thejoke:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Don Lapre posted:

Dat wholesale price

Wonder what wholesale prices look like for the 1070TI

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Console gamers are all :smug: now, but if cryptocurrencies remain at their current levels, or god forbid the insanity gets worse, they're going to :stonklol: at the sticker price of the next-gen consoles. There'll be incentives, for sure, but I wouldn't rule out a starting price of $599-699 for the next PS and XBox, and it also wouldn't surprise me if the next-gen consoles will be the first with a "standard/premium/limited" launch spread like with cars.

Console graphics solutions are fairly custom-made, so aside from GDDR5/6 prices loving the living daylights out of console makers, I don't think crypto will impact them that much imho.

Unless someone figures out how to use consoles to mine.

:stonklol:

Kinda glad bitcoin wasn't a big thing back when the PS3 was out.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I'd hate to see what a buttcoin mining lobby would look like.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....the hilarious kicker would be if the rigs got broken down for parts and then hocked piecemeal, and the bitcoin just lost to the ether.

Better than attempting to cash out bitcoins, at least.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 4, 2018

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Cygni posted:

The best video card to buy right now is this weird model called “a used ps4 and copy of yakuza 0 to fill your time and just wait”

Yep. You're better off buying an Xbox One and forgetting about PC gaming for the next six months. Gotta wonder how many people have given up on PCs and retreated back to consoles...

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Generic Monk posted:

the 5570 in this mac pro runs morrowind like a dream so I'm just going to rot on that if I feel like playing games. or just buy persona 5 and spend the rest of the year pretending to be a kawaii high school stufent

My R9 270X is holding up, although newer titles would likely leave it pretty winded. I just wish I had held on to my GTX 970.

Meanwhile, a glimmer of hope: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/61176/gpu-demand-crypto-mining-shows-signs-slowdown/index.html

Too bad we won't be seeing new cards until possibly Q3 2018.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 13, 2018

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I still hold out hope that 3dfx will someday rise out of the ashes of history like a bold, raytraced phoenix.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

axeil posted:

Yeah just go look at r/AMD if you want to see people in an AMD cult.

The people there actually think AMD is a better choice when it's just objectively not unless you have very niche needs (i.e. FreeSync) or an extremely tight budget.

I passed up a GTX 760 for my current R9 270X because it was about $30 cheaper at the time, nevermind how the 760 turned out to be the slightly better card.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Paul MaudDib posted:

You're not the first person to say that and it's still bullshit. A $15-30 upcharge is one thing, but the idea that the likes of ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte can't source a commodity part is simply not true.

Related: NVIDIA Philippines has started teasing something new coming next month. Wonder what that could be?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

HalloKitty posted:

How so? The 270X is just a 7870.

Rebranded 7870 Ghz Edition with a slight clock boost, afaik. Funny enough, I've never overclocked it (nor would I be willing to experiment with it now, at least not with decent vidya cards being as expensive as they are now.)

Speaking of 8700K, I'm leaning real close to making that my next CPU for an upcoming build, as much as I want to try out the 1700X. Just can't bring myself to give up a little single-thread performance for slightly better multithread performance.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

couldcareless posted:

Nvidia sent out emails about FEs coming back in stock tomorrow and now I'm stuck debating if I want to drop MSRP on a 1080 with a new line right around the corner.
Someone tell me this is a good or bad idea.

Same, except I'll likely drop MSRP on a 1070 because I'm an incredibly cheap idiot who can't bring himself to spend the extra $50 on a 1070ti.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Just missed the restock of Founders Edition cards on nvidia.com. Actually had a 1070 in my shopping cart, but it sold out before I could finalize the purchase. :(

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So it's gonna be GTX 11XX, not GTX 20XX: https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-turing-reportedly-to-be-named-gtx-11-series-not-gtx-20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Cygni posted:

hold on to ur fuckin labia/balls cause the Asrock AMD videocards are... well... they are videocards alright

Meh.