Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Are there any companies one would avoid if you choosing an AMD card? Besides, XFX, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Have they spoken anything about how they'll approach their driver situation from now on? From what I gathered, nVidia stills beats them on that front especially for multi gpu setups. Are they finally moving away from dual-gpu cards, also, too?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Can anyone explain to me how TrueAudio is supposed to work? I'm not too tech savvy, but the promise of better directional sound and the like has got me excited.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

But the AMD Audio is or isn't included?

AMD TrueAudio is only included for the R7-260X and R9-290(X).

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
The recommended 550W PSU in the Parts Picking thread will handle it fine.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
You have three monitors, right? If you want to game at those resolutions, you're going have to go with a multi-GPU setup.

Anyway, I do hope the R9-290 won't be so power hungry.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Gonkish posted:

I thought it was any Nvidia card?

GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost or Higher.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

cat doter posted:

This R9 280X is confusing. I looked up some benchmarks and it seems to either get beaten by the 760, or is pretty much on par, or has a pretty huge advantage. Is it worth getting one over a 760? I can get a 760 here for $279 or the 280X for $369. Looking at the benchmarks was confusing me so I thought I'd ask you guys about it. What's the dealio?

What benchmarks were you looking at? The R9-280X handily beats the 760 in performance in most games. Are you talking about the benchmarks at techPowerUp? If so, that's just the nature of things. Some games favor nVidia graphic cards over AMD. For the most part, the R9 280X trades blows with the 770, beating the 760 easily. I usually check up at AnandTech, TechReport, and HardOCP. But yeah, I wouldn't buy a R9 280X for $369. Get the 760 and consider a 7950 Boost if it is similarly priced.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
R7-240 = 8570
R7-250 = 8670
R7-260X = 7790
R9-270X = 7870
R9-280X = 7970GE

Both the 8570 and 8670 were the only actually new cards from the 8000 series. I don't know how well they actually perform, but I do believe the R7 250 should be around the 7730. I'm not too sure though.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I'm pretty sure AnandTech has committed themselves to releasing reviews of cards when they are released. I think this an excellent time to tell them that viewers would rather them take their time than rush out an incomplete review.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

But the question - does it ever hit 100% in games? Has anyone bothered to redo the thermal paste?

The fans are capped at 55% on Uber. [H]ardOCP found 100% fans don't really allow enough leeway to squeeze out more performance (even though they still recommend it).

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

I played for exactly 1 game yesterday with the fan uncapped. After that it got back to the 55% auto setting. With my house only being around 70F the card starts throttling itself around 800mhz if it is only allowed to spin up to 55%. When it was allowed to spin to 100% it ran full 1000mhz but would sit at 80% fan and run up to 100% during more intense battles. That being said, 80% is loud as poo poo, 100% is purely unacceptable. But then again I've been spoiled with the silence of watercooling for about 5 years at this point.

Nah. You're not spoiled. The reference cooler is just plain unacceptable. Tell us what you can do with it once you get the waterblock though.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Late November according to SweClockers according to Softpedia.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Torabi posted:

All this talk about Mantle and how the current Nvidia cards aren't "next gen" and whatnot is making me not as eager to buy a 770. Thing is I doubt the hypthetical 870 will be as cheap as the current 770 card. At least not for a while. But it is a new architecture so I guess there will be a much bigger difference compared to the 600 and 700 series and apparently Mantle might work with "other gpu brands" in the future? Why is my gpu failing now god drat it. I really want to hop over to Nvidia and see what that is like but then it isn't "next gen" and other buzzwords.

But isn't Mantle just an API? Meaning that it won't be dependent on hardware? So older cards could in theory support it as well. I doubt it will happen though since both Nvidia and AMD love to put in arbitrary barriers.

And apparently Star Citizen will use Mantle. Being able to run that as good as possible would be great. Sucks that we still have no idea how well Mantle will actually perform.

Mantle is tied to AMD's GCN architecture. If you want to use Mantle, you'll have to have a GCN 1.x card. The reason that Mantle will deliver better performance is that it is designed around AMD's GCN. If you get a 770, you won't be able to use. It's not like the 770 will become unable to play Star Citizen anyway.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Any good reviews of the AMD 240/250 cards? I got an APU right now I work off of, it's okay but drat does it suck with KSP/DX:HR/CS:go at 1920x1080

Hoping to pick
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127764
up friday

Hardware Heaven is the only site to review one of those cards. Here. The R7 250 should be around a Radeon HD 7730 in performance (between the GT 640 and Radeon HD 7750), so it may be adequate for what you want. I'd get a 7750 instead.

I'll find a nice analogue for the R7 240. I don't think it is has had any reviews.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Rahu X posted:

Regarding Mantle, I keep hearing rumors that it's apparently supposed to be open (meaning anyone can use it, including NVIDIA), but that's all they are at this point. Rumors.

I'm honestly not expecting it to be open though, at least not initially. Just look at it from a business perspective. With "hot" titles like Battlefield 4 supporting it and touting "drastically" better performance with Mantle, it would be silly for AMD to allow NVIDIA to use it straight away because it would negate any sort of boost in sales they would have. Right now, AMD has made Mantle to only benefit themselves.

I would personally love to see it go completely open at a later date though. Or at least usher in more low level access on APIs like OpenGL.

When it comes to Mantle and G-Sync, I personally don't find them to be buying points just yet for either party. Give them both some time to mature, and we might have something. As for now, buying a GPU based on features we know very little about is just stupid and pointless.

Mantle is open, but it is tied to the GCN architecture. NVIDIA would not be able to benefit without altering their cards to be more like AMD's offerings. It's "open" but not really open.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
AnandTech use a Phantom 630 full tower case, overclocked i7-4960X, and loop their benchmark runs several time.

HardOCP, on the other hand, do not use a chassis, but they do actually play (more like turn on God mod and run around) the games they benchmark, or rather, their benchmark is actually playing the game while recording the FPS. Their benchmark matches up with AnandTech's.

Still, that is an interesting complaint you have. I'll shoot an email to a couple of reviewers and ask for more information on their methodology.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Just gonna remind everyone that when you put the 290 on water, it overclocks hardcore until it basically runs out of voltage.

Afterburner doesn't work? Or does it not have voltage control yet for the Hawaii cards?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
A site actually reviewed the R7 250. It sits between the 7730 and the 7750 in performance. Closer to the 7750, though.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Join them. Join them with their 780s, their R9 290X's, their aftermarket cooling, and their 3-Way setups. SLI with them, and buy two 120Hz 1440p monitors. Don't look back. Lower than a 770 lies the path of weakness. Be unconstrained by such trivial notions as value or common sense. Burn your money and be free.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
A HD7750 should be around twice as powerful as your current card according to AnandTech, and it should be perfectly capable of giving you around 60FPS at such low resolutions possibly even on those Ultra settings you don't really care about. The 7750 is about the baseline gaming card, and it is compatible with just about all computers nowadays. The closest comparable card is the GTX 650, but I don't know the pricing on that card.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
These questions should really be directed at the PC Parts thread, but I'd suggest something around a 7850 or 560 Ti or 7870 or R9 270(X) for resolutions not quite 1080p if you can't afford more solid cards like the 7950 or 760/670.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

Thanks. I just did some testing with ARMA and it is running a perfect 60, so it must have been some scripts or something.

I appreciate the info on AC4; the foliage thing makes sense since things are much better at sea.

Looks like you already got your problem sorted out, but [H]ardOCP did a review thing of ARMA III. They found some settings were CPU-bound and stuff. If you have any more problems getting a constant 60FPS, you can take a look at that article.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
AnandTech had similar experience with Furmark. In their R9 290, they commented that the R9 290 bottomed out at 662MHz. I think the Hawaii cards just kind of throttle down during stress tests regardless of temps.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Depends on the game. Most games won't care at that resolution, though.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
No. The hack that allowed users to use both an AMD card (like the Radeon HD 7950 Boost) with a NVIDIA card for PhysX (like the GTX 560 Ti Boost) is not well maintained any more. The alternative is maintained; use at your own risk.

Of course, earlier I may have overstated the fact that developers were specifically blocking Hybrid PhysX.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Decent PC ports have been the norm since 2010, I believe. And, compared to Saints Row 2's port, I bet SR4 is a pretty excellent port.

veedubfreak posted:

Just as a heads up, Saints Row 4 is maxing the memory on my 290s in crossfire using 7880x1440 resolution, so it's coming sooner than people might think. At least at giant resolutions.

I'm pretty sure you'll be limited to 3GB of memory instead of 6GB with SLI or CF, so any relatively modern game maxing out your memory at 7880x1440 is not surprising in the least. I'm sure 3GB will be fine for 4K UHD for next few years. People with crazy rear end 3 1440p monitor setups may have to find cards with more RAM. Too bad the 780Ti is so expensive and scales slightly worse than the R9 290(X), or that yet-to-be-released 6GB EVGA card would be perfect for you.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
So, um, speaking of [H], does this type of thing happen often? It doesn't, but is it a known problem for DirectCU cards? This was brought up in another non-[H] forum that I frequent, and it was put forth alongside with some other threads detailing lovely encounters with ASUS's customer service over returns. Does ASUS have a known bad reputation for this kind of stuff, or is it an example of a vocal minority spreading poo poo?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Also, TechReport has some data on that R9 290X retailer vs test sample variance issue. It looks kind of bad for AMD.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Oops. I linked to the wrong article. I meant this one where TR actually investigates. MaximumPC and others found the difference to be smaller than TR's report to be fair.

Sorry, I'm not trying to spread FUD or anything; I just want if this is a legitimate thing to worry about (until custom cards are released) or if this is a complete non-issue. More people are happy with their R9 290(X) than not, so it is probably the latter.

edit: deimos, you're getting a bit of competition from Zotac.

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 13, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Radeon Cards get better SweetFX support. It ain't much, but it is something, I guess.

Really, I don't think it really counts because it is third party, but RadeonPro in general picks up some of the slack on the software side of thing for AMD.

I never had a NVIDIA card, and I didn't hear about RadeonPro until after I was burglarized, so I can't actually compare this to NVIDIA's feature list.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

SourKraut posted:

Noctua P-12s and F-12s outperform the Gentle Typhoon I believe. I think even the Prolimatech USV 14" outperforms the Gentle Typhoon surpringsly enough?

It depends on what you're looking for, but that doesn't seem to be true. At least according to Martin. Or rather, my reading of Martin's graphs; I could be wrong.

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 18, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Why would you need a fan that big?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
HardOCP has their ASUS R9 290X DirectCU II OC review if anyone's interested. Probably a first for them, but they didn't overclock the thing. It offers the same level of performance as the stock 780 Ti. Not quite as good, but the gap is pretty small for something that may be a $100 or more cheaper.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Byolante posted:

Asus are launching a 27" 1440p what seems to be MVA 120hz screen with gsync for 800 dollars so I could see gamers making a bee-line for that if G-Sync is actually something other than triple buffering which would be the complete opposite of what an enthusiast gamer wants.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that panel isn't MVA.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Powercolor doesn't look like a bad brand, but ASUS is more of a known entity (at least for me). Sapphire is kind of bad brand with an unreliability streak going on now. Performance-wise, there should be less than 1% better them. Anyway, ASUS R9 270X DirectCU II TOP and Powercolor R9 270X PCS+.

If BF4 is important to you and you don't want to wait for the inevitable Steam deal, the Powercolor looks to be a decent deal.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I haven't run into many people who've complained about their PowerColor products, but I can't say I met many people who even heard about PowerColor. They seem to be a budget OEM, so there is a risk that they are using cheap parts. Slightly mitigated by them using their PCS+ and Devil brand name on these specific cards.

While not the greatest resource, this French retailer is one of the few who keep tracks of returns for specific products and publish them. Sapphire does not look good for their 7850/7870 cards. It could easily have been a bad batch, but between that and the horror stories I have heard, why take the chance?

ASUS would be the most reputable brand to buy.

edit: The Devil doesn't many reviews worth checking out, but it doesn't look like much of a step up from the PCS+ card in terms of performance or acoustics.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Agreed posted:

I'm not saying I can predict the future, but I don't think that nVidia wants there to be any 780 Ti cards with more than 3GB of VRAM per GPU. The only point of the Titan now is that it has the DP feature and has that 6GB of VRAM, making it their entry level CUDA development card. Given that it just can't match the fully-enabled, more carefully binned (for stable higher frequency, for power usage) GK110 chips used for the 780Ti, and given that the 780Ti uses faster GDDR5 already, it would be a total "gently caress you, Titan!" for anything not requiring DP if a card were released that could match its memory count but outperform it in every other regard.

I don't think nVidia wants to make Titan pointless for a lot of people. There are already developers who are buying it because of the VRAM count even though they don't really need DP, and it'd be a total rout for anything single precision. Given that a lot of CUDA stuff (and GPGPU in general) can be heavily memory limited, that's not a scenario favorable to the market segmentation that nVidia has established with the variety of GK110-based cards.

The article did mention the Titan Black Edition which will supposedly be a 6GB VRAM version of the 780Ti with Titan features. If they are to release a thing, it would surely replace the Titan as the current consumer grade compute card.

Swartz posted:

So any thoughts on the rumors surrounding the GTX 780 Ti Black edition or GTX 790 that have been surfacing over the past few days?

Here's one such source: http://www.geek.com/games/leaked-specs-reveal-nvidias-dual-gpu-geforce-gtx-790-1583004/

I don't understand GPU stuff that well, but from what I understand the "leaked" specs for the GTX 790 don't make much sense to me. Why would it be 10gb or RAM? Seems more logical it would be 6gb or 12gb.

I'm pretty sure that it would be limited to 5GB of usable VRAM considering it is a dual-gpu card. Now, I obviously have no idea why it would need 5GB of VRAM for a consumer card. I suppose NVIDIA may try to push it as 4K UHD card, and the memory bandwidth only allowed multiples of 5?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Duro posted:

It's just a very lovely situation, I don't think I'll ever buy my parts from there again

poo poo. NCX is beginning to sound worse than TigerDirect.

Well, if you can get a full-refund, take that and buy from a more reputable vendor like Amazon or NewEgg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

With my old 7950, I always used RadeonPro to force SMAA into games. Is there a similar nVidia tool? All I see on the nVidia control panel is FXAA. I don't like expensive AA :(

FXAA is not expensive at all. Anyway, Radeon Pro was using SweetFX. NVIDIA cards cannot inject into 64bit executables, though.