Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I have a fairly unusual conundrum and I figured this is probably the best place to ask for input since it's not really HoTS stuff:

- Is there a way to get two versions of ATI drivers to run at the same time, each for a different device?

Background: I have an HD5770, an AMD chipset with HD4200 integrated graphics, and two screens. I keep the secondary monitor connected to the 4200, and have the 5770 heavily overclocked for (single-screen) gaming, which has been running flawlessly for two years.

AMD has just released a new beta driver, 12.7, which upon installation turned out to offer a massive performance increase in the one game I play that still made my 5770 struggle (Skyrim with tons of graphic mods). Problem is, those same 12.7 drivers are also the ones that drop support for older video cards, including my 4200. As soon as I install them, the second screen goes black and the 4200 is reported as not working correctly in Device Manager.

I tried just hooking both screens to the 5770, but in addition to the slight annoyance of this pushing it out of idle during regular desktop use (which was the original reason I kept the 4200 going), as soon as I enable overclocking the screen gets constant flickering, even in desktop mode when it's not actually running at the top, overclocked frequencies. (Odd, considering that gaming is perfectly stable, but that's beta drivers for you I guess.)

I could put up with the extra noise/heat and with having to manually enable overclocking every time I want to Skyrim a bit, but I'd like to first try to achieve the optimal setup: the 5770 running on 12.7 drivers and the 4200 still active. I've been messing with setup programs and the Device Manager for the last couple of hours, but no matter in what order I perform any combination of install/uninstall/enable/disable the driver files remain shared between the two cards. I've also asked Windows to put the 4200 on standard VGA drivers (vgnapnp.sys), they do install but on reboot the device is reported as not working (and the screen is black).

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

What case is that? I love that you have two baller passive coolers (that looks like an OG NoFan on the CPU to me), with comically big fans strapped to them. Kinda runs counter to the idea of a passive cooler :p

Thermaltake Core V1 Snow, with all the panels removed except the bottom. I think the GPU fan was the case's front panel 200mm fan.

e: beaten :v:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I was checking out what options were available for open-air cooler GTX 1070s under 285mm length, and in a local shop I found this: http://www.kfa2.com/1070exoc.html, which was listed at a slightly lower price than the competition with slightly higher clock rates. I've literally never heard of KFA2, is there anything good or bad to say about them?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Never heard of thermal adhesive before. Does it have any actual, intended use for personal computing?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I was getting ready to dig into the AIB 1060 comparatives (so far it's looking like I'm going Palit again), but then I had a thought...

What is everybody's best guess about the % of AAA games that will support Vulkan in 2017-2018? Seems to me that if the answer is "a lot", I might end up regretting not going team red this time.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

spasticColon posted:

I'm now really tempted to just go balls out and get a ~$450 1070 and not have to worry about upgrading my video card at 1080p for 4 years.

I've had the same thought but that would virtually guarantee that around next year or so I'd find myself craving some 4K goodness as those monitors keep dropping in price - or poo poo maybe VR will become actually interesting, stranger things have happened.

So for me this year will mean either a good 1080p card (a basic 1060 / 480) or keep my 750Ti going another year - which I might just do if I go through another Paradox game phase - and I'll look into delicious 4K gaming next year when it might hopefully cost under $1k between monitor and video card.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Question: for pretty much the same price, I can get either the Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB Mini ITX OC (a SFF card) or the Palit GTX 1060 6GB Dual.

My case can fit the larger card, but if all else were completely equal I'd get the Mini ITX so I could potentially move it to a smaller case. The larger card has a few more DisplayPort connectors, but I don't care about those.

Looking at the cards, I would expect the following:

1) The Gigabyte has slightly higher clocks (both base and OC) so it should perform very slightly better

2) The Palit should be significantly more silent due to the double fans spinning slower

3) There are no other meaningful differences between the cards

Are my guesses correct?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I've been thinking of upgrading for a while at the first chance, and I have a tempting Black Friday deal on a Zotac GTX 1080Ti Mini, a little over 10% off. And the mini form factor is especially interesting to me because I already have a small case (Core V1, which does fit most but not all full-sized GPUs) and I might switch to an even smaller one next year.

I'm kinda out of the loop so I have some questions:

1) I've heard bad things about Zotacs, quality control and noise and such. Are they so bad I should I stay away?

2) Last I read about GTX 2080s, they were unlikely to be released before Q2 2018 and the first few models were also unlikely to significantly outperform a 1080 Ti. Is that still the current forecast?

3) My current screen is a 1080p (which is currently stressing my old GTX 750 Ti pretty hard), so obviously I'd be looking to upgrade shortly after this purchase. I understand the 1080 Ti can push 4k @ 60fps, but that's with current-gen games. If I want to keep this card for at least two years, would it be wiser to get something a little smaller, like a 3440 x 1440?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

For any card above a 1060 or so, there's no sense throwing in those extra :10bux: for the 'totally identical except for 20Mhz higher clocks' OC editions, right?

Also, does it matter if the card has only an 8-pin connector or a 6+8 one?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Surprise Giraffe posted:

The most demanding displays in the near future will be VR 2.0, stuff like the Pimax 8k or Vive/Rift 2. A new series of more powerful cards would probably be necessary for those right?

Yes, absolutely. It would be a huge waste not to buy one.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Actually I have absolutely no idea. But feel free to show that post to your wife.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The most offensive element is still the font used for "PowerColor".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Since I want a GTX 1080 by New Year's, the store I'm ordering from offered me a choice between a Zotac Mini and a MSI Aero OC as a replacement for the one I ordered.

I know that the Zotac are bottom of the barrel stuff, is there anything bad about the MSI that I should reject it for? I understand blower cards don't have an 'off' mode, are they quiet enough while on stand-by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Snagged an AIB XFX XTX Double Edgy Black Ninja McBacon from a reasonably reputable shop on Amazon. Paid 1300€ for it, which I'm OK with if it actually arrives before Christmas. That's about the price of a regular XTX in Denmark, and Danish shops wouldn't have shipped it in time.

(A couple hours after those AIBs vanished, the same shop later put up a few reference XTXs for 1150€. Oh well, if I could see the future I would have made a hell of a lot more than 150€ with it.)

I've owned this 4k low-latency projector for almost two years (and I've added a 1440@100 screen in the meanwhile), time to finally be able to run it native on something that isn't CK3 :getin: