Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Okay I'm posting in this thread too. I posted earlier in the hardware upgrade thread since at a quick glance I didn't notice this thread(was on my phone at the time). Here is my issue. My 580 GTX that I bought last October seems to be running like poo poo. Today I confirmed it. I'm not sure how long it's been going on, but I've had a sneaking suspicion for a while now that it's not running up to par. Today during the guild wars 2 stress test, my frame rates were lower than my friend running a 550 Ti. We both have the same processor, which is an Intel i5 3570k(his is stock, mine is OC'd to 4.3ghz). He has 4gb of ram, I have 16gb. I see no way that his rig should be running more frames than mine is, but it is. My idle temperature for my 580 GTX is at around 73 degrees. My room is roughly at the same temperature, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. While my GPU is at 73 degrees, my processor idle is around 35 degrees. Under load, my 580 GTX gets around 89 degrees or so. What really threw me off about my performance is that I ran MSI's Kombustor program with default 1920x1080 settings and my performance was DRASTICALLY worse than someone with a very similar system.

Here are two pictures of what I'm talking about.
Mine: http://www.ozone3d.net/msi_kombustor/score_200.php?id=75565
Random guys: http://www.ozone3d.net/msi_kombustor/score_200.php?id=49702

As you can see, my scores are 40% or so lower than his. This is with my CPU OC'd to 4.3ghz. Even if his Sandy Bridge i7 is OC'd as well, that shouldn't account for a 40% performance difference. There has to be something wrong with my card, right? I'm not sure if it's the heating issue, or if there is something else wrong with the card completely. Should I RMA it? What would be the next step?

Edit: I just threw my old 260 GTX in, and idle I'm at 54 degrees. Almost 20 degrees lower than the 580 GTX at idle.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Cavauro posted:

Make sure your card doesn't have gunk in the fan. Try using a more aggressive custom fan profile in Afterburner. If that fails, how's your warranty?

I have adjusted the fan. 75 helps at idle. Only 100 helps the temp at full load. Performance seems to be sub par still.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm looking at getting a 670 GTX here in the next week or two. Is the Gigabyte triple fan card the go to? How hot does the 6xx series run compared to say a 580GTX? My 570 GTX reference model runs hot as gently caress, even though my computer has a decent cooling setup.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So with all of this Titan talk has there been any word on the 700 series? I have a 580 GTX and I'm not sure whether to purchase a 670 gtx, or wait til the 700 series.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm really looking at getting that evga card. Any idea how long these cards take to get in Stock at launch?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm just wondering what I should do. I currently have a 580 gtx that runs hot as poo poo. It always has. Right now it's idling at 86 degrees. When I was playing STO last night, it was hitting 98 degress at 100% fan. That's way too loving hot for my comfort level. So here I am, thinking of a new card. The 780 gtx is looking like a beast of a card, but I'm just unsure of what I should do. Should I pick up one of the reference models from Gigabyte, Galaxy, or Zotac that are available right now? Do I hold off for potentially weeks to get the ACX from EVGA? Do I wait for the 770, which could be announced next week or in a couple of months? Do I wait for other after market cooling solutions to come out for the 780 gtx? I'm just really at a loss for what I should do.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

My CPU is at 38 degrees, which is an i5-3570k OC'd to 4.3ghz on air. It's not a case airflow problem. I have two intake fans on the front, 1 large one on the side, and 1 exhaust top back, as well as 2 exhaust fans on the top. It's a corsair 500r http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009

It's definitely an issue with the card, not my case airflow.

My question is regarding the Zotac, since it's basically a reference card, is there OCing potential in it? I saw this review earlier on my phone, http://extremespec.net/zotac-geforce-gtx-780-review-design-testing-performance/ . I'm just not sure if I want to bite the bullet on a reference card.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 26, 2013

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I reinstalled windows 7 a week and a half ago, so I doubt the trojan is the problem. As this has gone on since last August, and possibly before, as that's when I noticed it. I do run dual monitors, and the fan does spin as I can crank it up from 60% to 100% and noticeably hear the fan working. That will only drop the temp by about 8 degrees under load.

My problem lies with the card right? Either heatsink, or thermal paste, or something. Could anything else be causing it? I really don't understand the 40-45 degree discrepancy between the CPU and GPU, for no real reason. I just want to make sure that if I purchase a 780, that I won't run into a similar issue.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Here is a screenshot from 3 minutes ago, while I'm in game.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm afraid to open up a video card honestly. I have no problems with everything else for a computer, but cards are another issue. I've cleaned it as much as I can with compressed air.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Well my question is, does that seem like it's an issue with the card directly? Like if I purchase a 780 GTX, and lets say it's perfect out of the box, will I likely have high temps similar to the 580, or should they be normal?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

No didn't set a fan profile, but that really won't make a huge difference will it? As soon as I start my computer up, it's at 80+ degrees Celsius. Even with the fan at 100% while the card is idle, it'll only get down to like 67-68 degrees.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I opened the case on my 580 today, there was a bit of dust in there which I cleaned out. It dropped the temps by about 7-8 degrees. Still hitting high 80's during gaming quite easily. Idles around low 70's now. I'm really thinking of getting a 780. I want the ACX model, but I have a feeling that I'll be waiting a while.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Nah, that's a bit past my comfort level for a video card. I'll either order a 770 or a 780, and when it arrives just RMA the 580. Taking off the outer cover is one thing, removing the heatsink is another.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Some EVGA cards are in stock currently. The ACX cooler was available earlier, but didn't have my phone near me and I missed it.

Also noticed there's a SC version with the ACX cooler as well on EVGA's site, but not on newegg yet.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 29, 2013

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

w00tazn posted:

Check the SKU, the ACX cooler on Newegg IS the superclocked version.

Yeah I mixed that up. I meant to say EVGA now has an ACX version of the non superclocked. They also added a hydro cooler yesterday.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

EVGA products are available as of this post on their website including the ACX models.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Yeah it was available for a good 10 minutes or so. I snagged mine, and it was still up for a bit afterwards. Keep an eye out on Newegg for it. Yesterday I got an EVGA notification 30 minutes before Newegg sent me theirs.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Jago posted:

How much to buy your 580 when it comes back?

I'm not sure what would be a fair price. I should be getting my new card come Tuesday, and I'll likely RMA it later next week. Not sure the turnaround on it, but once I get it back I'll probably end up selling it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Well did some googling and watched some youtube and got a 190 mhz overclock on the gpu clock and 280 mhz on the memory overclock for my 780. Might me able to push it further because it was totally stable and temps never went above 70 degrees.

Mind posting the video and the model of the card that you have?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I need some help overclocking my EVGA 780 SC with ACX cooler. I'm overclocking in precion since I've heard of issues with afterburner. I find the layout of precision to be a bit clunky and I have a hard time finding what my stock(from EVGA) numbers are. I put the GPU clock to +77, and the memory clock to +125. It ran a benchmark of heaven fine, but while it was finished and still kind of running in the background the drivers crashed. This is with the voltage at one setting higher than clock. I'm just not really sure what exactly putting the GPU clock to +77, and the memory clock to +125 is bringing my totals to. Is there an easy way to tell? I just find the tachometer or whatever design you call it very un-intuitive.

Does anyone else have the same card I do and have some decent OC numbers that I can go with and see how well it works?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So I just ran another test of Heaven, and it was running at 1150 core clock, and 3132 Mem clock. Is that memory clock number doubled some how, because I see people all over talking of 6-7k mem clock. It seems if I go +10 higher on the core clock, I'll get a crash in Heaven. Is that when I need to adjust the power target?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

K so I followed your directions Agreed. I got to 1190 core clock and ran a full Heaven benchmark. However once I got my score it crashed. My temps seemed to be fine. Would adjusting memory clock at this point keep it stable? Or is the core clock just too high for the card that I got?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

My overvoltage setting in Precision X never sticks. Every time I reboot I need to adjust it. How do I fix this? It's a hassle because if it boots up with my OC settings that require that voltage to be higher, I'll run into problems every time.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

drat the 980 ti was nearly a year after the 980? I'm hesitant getting a 1080 because I know I'll get burned again like I did when I bought by 780 on release, the ti came out 6 months later. They gotta drop a ti variant just before black Friday. My 780 is showing its age and I don't know what direction to go.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Just grabbed a 1070 from MSI. How are they as a vendor? I've always been an Evga person.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I feel like I'm missing something here with the founders edition cards. Why ever buy one over one with better cooling and clocks? Then they are charging nearly $100 more for it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What happened with the 900 series cards?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What tool should I use for benching my video cards?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Oh you guys!!! :smugdon:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

12.6k on 3dmark with a 3570k, and a 1070GTX. Seems kind of low?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

3DMark Score 12667
Graphics Score 19253
Physics Score 6582
Combined Score 5814
Graphics Test 192.52 fps
Graphics Test 276.43 fps
Physics Test 20.9 fps
Combined Test 27.04 fps

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12963519

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I don't get how these prices are sustainable,$1k for a video card, $1250 for a note 9. I mean Holy gently caress. How is this poo poo sustainable?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

EVGA 20th anniversary upgrade thingamabob on Wednesday.

https://www.evga.com/newsletter/upgrade-to-20-series/

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Question, why do they want to cash for clunkers old GPU's? I can see it being extended to people who purchased old GPU's, but they obviously want to collect them back. What purpose does a 6 year old GPU serve to them at this point?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What price point would you guys pull the trigger on a discounted 2070 or 2080(ti?) The super refreshes are looming so the discounts need to be worth it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I see it. Are the discounts worth it?

Zotix fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 26, 2019

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Do you guys honestly think the next line of cards after the Super refresh is actually going to come down in price significantly back to where they were before RTX was a thing?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How much better at 1440p is a 2070 Super than a 1070GTX? I know we are basically talking 2+ generations of video cards, but I'm building an entirely new rig with a 3900x in it, and I was going to carry over my 1070 for a year until the next gen is fully released. However, I'm not sure of the performance I'll see on my new rig with the 1070. I'm upgrading from a 3570k to a 3900x, so I'm assuming I'll have some performance increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So if I bought a 2070 Super, and sold my 1070, it seems like I could get between maybe $170-225? Why would someone want to buy an aging card at such a price point midway through 2019?