Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

edit: nevermind i am an idiot

creatine fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

What are some budget options for upgrading from a 460? Say I had $150 for an upgrade. SLI 460s, new 660, try to snipe an ebay used 760?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Bike to the Boston Microcenter on the tax-free weekend coming up in a few weeks and get an open-box 660/760 or a new 750ti.

How much do they charge for open box 660?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Can I buy the same arctic silver and use it for both CPU and GPU? Both are running hot (50-60 C idling) and I figured it's about time to replace them seeing as I haven't put new compound on since I built the computer in 2010.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Use gelid extreme instead as it is non conductive and better than AS. If you already have the AS then its fine on your cpu but id be careful on the gpu.

I haven't bought any yet. Wanted to get the general consensus on it. Tax free weekend in MA so I'm doing some PC shopping

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Gelid extreme is basically the best until you get into liquid metal. Being non conductive is a bonus

Sweet. I'll see if they carry it at the electronics store n

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

So I was asking earlier for upgrades on a gtx 460 since it wasn't running games as well as it used to. Well I decided that instead of dropping $150+ on a 660 or 750ti I would see if new thermal paste would help. Turns out my AMD Phenom II x4 was idling at 60-62C! Put new thermal paste on and now it's running 38C idle and only 55C under load. Also made my GPU idle temp drop a couple degrees since the CPU fan isn't working as hard to move the air.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah most farmers moved away from GPUs because the difficulty it so high. They've moved to custom USB miners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

RocketSurgeon posted:

This is probably a long shot but does anyone happen to have a HD 7950 rev.1 card around? As I understand the different manufacturers use the same layout for the rev.1 pcb?
I need the measurements like so:
In millimeters if possible

H=38 mm, L=285 mm, W=126 mm

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4121#sp

Most sites have the physical card measurements if you need a specific brand