Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I swapped my 1070 out for a 1080 ti today and :staredog:

It's the 3440x1440 100hz dream card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I definitely thought about buying a bulk lot of 1070s like 2 weeks ago in anticipation of that but decided to continue trying to snipe/flip the RX cards instead. Whatever, I'm up like a grand on that either way.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 19, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

ufarn posted:

Do miners tend to use blower fans for the mining rig GPUs?

No, they have them on open air ghetto rigs so they actually want the good aftermarket coolers wherever it's possible without spending too much extra.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
All issues with ebay aside, the margins there are so much higher that I think it's still worth it. If I'm selling $250 cards for $400-480, I can honestly just set aside the cash that I'm going to get screwed out of when one of them decides to refund it. You're gonna get significantly less than that anywhere else.

Edit: That is, assuming that you're selling more than one card. I've just been watching the stock at work during the week and I'm up to like 7 now.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 19, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Fauxtool posted:

where are you watching for stock? I have been watching nowinstock for a few days without much activity.

I've got a script hitting like 30 different newegg product IDs every minute and then I occasionally also just search newegg manually which has hit an open box result at least once.

I have a lot of spare time during the work day.

Edit:

Cinara posted:

1080/tis have extra value right now also as they are bundled with a copy of Destiny 2 which is an easy $40-60 resale if you don't want it.

The Destiny 2 code requires you to redeem through GFE with the card installed and then asks for a direct login to your battle.net account.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

repiv posted:

Unless they've changed it since the last bundle, anyone with a 1080/1080ti can redeem the code. They didn't link the game code to the serial of the card it shipped with or anything like that.

Probably true, wasn't sure if this was a new thing or not. Definitely limits the market of who you can resell it to unless they trust you with their battle.net account info, though.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Anyone know if I'm gonna be able to keep the EVGA backplate on my 1080ti SC2 when I install an Arctic Accelero Extreme III? I was thinking maybe I could just put the screws through the backplate holes with some washers instead of the arctic back bracket thing. I'm chasing those dank ITX thermals.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

LorneReams posted:

Holy poo poo thanks! I'm retarded. I priced out a system a month ago and was slowly buying the parts and this week I was going to grab a 1070 and it was 200 more, and I was like WTF.

I got to used to just using Amazon, assuming it was cheaper.

The downside is that the founders edition coolers kind of suck but it shouldn't be too big a deal on a 1070.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Paul MaudDib posted:

The FE isn't a bad cooler, it's just not as good as the open-cooler cards. It'll still sustain max power limit even on a 1080 if you punch the speed up. And unlike most of the cheaper blower coolers (including AMD's ref blower) it doesn't sound like a hairdryer at higher fan speeds.

And yeah the lower down the stack you go, the better the FE does. With a 1060 (120W) there is hardly any need to even increase the fan speeds, the defaults work fine. A 1070 is probably similar.

Yeah I mean my card before my 1070 and later 1080ti was a reference 980 and it was downright quiet for a blower. They're good blowers, but blowers they are.

tehinternet posted:

I just bought an EVGA 1070 FTW for $450 today.

I'm tempted to put it on EBay because holy gently caress nerds are dumb.

I mean, I'm dumb for paying $450, but I see 1070s for 600+ WHEN THEY'RE IN STOCK ONLINE.

Goddamn.

Beware ebay fees. I've been flipping RX cards. If I sell a $250 card for $375, I pay like $50 in fees and $25 in shipping and only come out like $50 ahead for the effort.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Gwaihir posted:

Man, totally unrelated to the current conversation, but it is a massive loving pain in the rear end to try and find MXM form factors of various GPUs. There's basically just ebay and pray as far as I can see, outside of one Taiwanese company specializing in making custom MXM modules with nvidia chips which work at extremely wide temperature ranges.

Yeah I don't think they're retail available literally anywhere so you just have to hope enough people shuck em outta dead ~gaming laptops~ and throw em on ebay.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Wow that thing owns.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I can't imagine why it wouldn't be since eth is one of the only coins that doesn't do best on CUDA miners afaik and it's eventually going to freeze the gently caress over and/or go PoS. Especially with the rumor that Volta is keeping GDDR5X I'd say everything about how well those cards are going to mine is basically a known quantity sloping up from the 1080ti.

AMD might still hold value/hash king if Polaris cards ever touch MSRP again though. They're just drat cheap for the amount of grunt they pack.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I slapped the heatsink portion of an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III on my 1080ti and shoved it right up against two 120mm case fans and it's now sitting pretty at like 72c under synthetic load at max overclock. Turns out there's a lot to be said for sheer fin area and/or copper mass. Somewhat amusingly it now dumps enough hot air right out of the case to make the case metal too hot to touch.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Watts per feel.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

B-Mac posted:

Can you step up to the SC version? Sounds like it is much better than the black edition.

Honestly the SC2 isn't that different from the SC Black. They're both essentially the reference PCB, with the SC2 having the extra EVGA patented overengineered thermistors on everything. Same cooler, just less fine-grained control of it. It's not a great cooler either way.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

xthetenth posted:

Also, as a note regarding evga icx coolers the SC2 gives more control over the fan curves based on power, but the power curve setup maxes out at 100 C which is awfully low, and without messing around with fan curves, it will slam straight through the low parts of the noise curve into leaf blower territory. With a little bit of tweaking it's cool and quiet, so I don't really mind having it to get access to that sweet sweet evga support, but just realize that out of the box it will decide that at about 60 degrees it's time to pull out all the stops and jam air into the power until it's cool.

Whatever, I paid a bit more for it to treat it as a toy for tweaking, and I feel like I got my money's worth kinda. Do they have a slicker way of reading all the thermistor data than just precisionx, incidentally?

They all show up in GPU-Z also but that's not exactly a slick interface. Presumably anything that wanted to could read those values though.

There's something super wonky with the "Power" fan PWM though. I've got 120mm rad fans on my SC2 (with an accelero xtreme heatsink) and theyre hooked up to each of the ICX PWM headers and the Power one does weird stuff. It has to be set like 40% higher to hit the same RPM as the GPU one. I need to just get a PWM splitter on the GPU one.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Vega Firestrike run pulling 23k graphics score (my 1080ti pulls 29k). :laffo:

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I mean it's a reference cooler in a tiny case also. Cooler looks even worse than the nvidia FE cooler.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Given that they've got a big fat toggle between "pro" and "gaming" drivers in crimson I would have figured that "gaming" wouldn't run the ram in ECC but hey, it's AMD we're talking about here.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Lockback posted:

Why is r/amd deleting pictures of Vega in someone's box? Are they really going to try to pretend like the card doesn't exist?

Honestly it's a little alarming that literally only one dude has gotten the card in the entirety of the tech-internet-scene apparently. Maybe they're trying to paper launch and delay shipment until they can put out another round of drivers that actually function :v:

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Apparently the posts just got automodded when the posters edited in a link to the site those comments where on because automod doesn't like linking to certain sites or something.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, I basically wonder if the high end of the market isn't overstated here. I went almost seven years without buying a Radeon but that was because I installed Linux and was really unpleased by their driver support.

But I also never thought "guys dual-booting Ubuntu" was an important market either.

I don't think anyone is ever trying to say that the high end is mainstream. It's just Good and Useful to have strong competition at every tier of product. I would literally never buy an AMD graphics card solely out of personal experiences across like 5 GPUs (and definitely not because Nvidia is a good company because holy poo poo are they not) but I absolutely want AMD to have +-10% competitors to my 1080ti because I don't want the 1180ti or whatever to be some chip that is 30% slower and 30% more expensive than what they could have put out solely because they know AMD doesn't have an answer to it anyway.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
bargaining

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

:ohdear:

I'll take "I'm Not Flipping That" for $1000, Alex.

Edit: Nowinstock tracker - they're definitely selling out. Kind of odd given that their mining ROI is really goddamn questionable. Maybe the hordes of people flipping their mid range cards to miners and buying 1080tis?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

DrDork posted:

Joke's on you, $1000 won't buy that 1080Ti.

Yes but $750 will elsewhere on the internet for probably not much longer :v:

Edit: vvv That's because the strix is actually a pretty insane cooler whereas the FE will throttle depending on your airflow/ambient/etc. Doesn't matter for like a 1070, but on a 1080ti having better cooling (and/or undervolting) is basically the only remaining way to increase your performance since it gives you more room underneath the pascal throttle walls.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 29, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

1gnoirents posted:

Its actually an exception to find a brand that voids warranties on this. I dont recall any anymore but I think there was one or two that came to light in the past but basically - no.

edit: It is essentially the same process as putting an AIO on a CPU so its not all that "dangerous" outside of stabbing the core with a knife. They all have IHS's on them now too

I put an aftermarket heat sink on my 1080ti and it was mega unnerving but that was mostly a product of basically having to double stick tape heat sinks onto the VRMs and RAM and then crank down a massive copper cooler onto a long, brittle, expensive PCB.

Also the EVGA ICX base/back plates are a mega bitch to pry off with all of the excessive thermal pads.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
To briefly revive the die cracking discussion, how tight roughly do you actually want a GPU cooler to be? I put on an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III and basically just tightened it roughly finger-tight with a very small screwdriver (very little leverage). It was tight enough to smash the foam underneath the little back bracket thing all the way down and have the tips of the bracket (which have an insulator on one side) touching the back of the pcb. The manual just leaves you with some really super helpful infographics (mostly referencing the layout of fermi-era cards as far as I can tell) and basically gives you no indication of how much you should crank it down.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Paul MaudDib posted:

Are you using the thermal cement they give you or paste? Especially with the thermal cement I wouldn't worry, it's not coming off.

Definitely using NT-H1 on the die and tape on the vrms and poo poo. I figured reversible is good in case I want to sell that poo poo. There's always the 0.1% chance that Volta drops within my step-up period :unsmith:

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Measly Twerp posted:

I have a hard time listening to this guy, he just sounds to done with life all the time.

It took me a while to warm up to his delivery. I came away feeling like he was annoyed at me for being a viewer the first few times.

They're definitely one of the best channels for like deep dives on pc hardware at this point if you can stomach the personality.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Green Gloves posted:

Ive using Nowinstock for Newegg had an Asus RX 580 8gb in my cart I go to check out and then it loving goes out of stock.

These things dont have a timer for you to check out or anything? It was out of stock in one minute.

Also gently caress this Ebay seller for sending me an RX 550 instead of a 580. At least hes sending a return label.

Newegg doesn't reserve anything until you've totally completed the checkout process. Don't use paypal. Have your billing/shipping info saved. You're still probably going to lose out to all of the people with custom scrapers that aren't relying on nowinstock.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I mean there's no reason to prevent card sales to miners because obviously they can buy limit 1 cards just fine given that every other card is limit 1 and still out of stock. It just prevents straight up bulk resellers.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Palladium posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

1060 just surpassed 970 for the #1 card title on Steam.

If AMD's best selling RX480 is compared to every other non-AMD GPU that sold better in Steam it comes out to be just a earth shattering 3% of the lot. Poor Pascal!™

The 1080 Ti straight up isn't on the list? I feel like they just haven't added it to the survey yet or something, because surely it has more marketshare than some of the random ancient cards on there given that the 1080 and the 980 Ti are both decently high up.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I'm sure people would come up with some cool software solutions if it weren't for the fact that these are only going to be like 20bux cheaper. Maybe when the secondhand ones hit ebay for like $30.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Paul MaudDib posted:

Oh, I see what you're saying. That's a good point, you actually could use an eGPU+miner card with a laptop. The downside is that streaming the display back to the laptop kills performance - PCIe 3.0x4 is already bottlenecking just for the drawcalls, streaming uncompressed bitmaps back too is far too much bandwidth.

Maybe when Display Stream Compression comes out, that might be enough to squish it down to a reasonable extent.

A 1060 or 570 or whatever, even with the link speed gimped and streaming output back (on TB3 at least), is still a significant boost for something like an ultrabook with no dedicated GPU. If we actually see TB3 eGPU prices come down to earth in the near future it could be a cool combo.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I wonder if I could put that gelid bracket on my 1080ti vrms underneath the arctic accelero. The little stick on heatsinks are lackluster.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

wargames posted:

But each 8pin is rated for 150 watts and you can pull another 100-150 from pci.

i'm pretty sure pci-e spec says like 75

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Should I just accept that my card isn't gonna clock down below like 1500 if i'm running a mixed-refresh mixed-sync mixed-resolution monitor setup?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
seems like there's some spicy implications of the water vega FE BIOS referring to it as "Vega10 A1 XTX"

the RX vega XTX is already in hands and the RX part is just a driver update, wake up sheeple

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
can you imagine the fallout when it came out that they (theoretically) sold a known-inferior product at crazy inflated halo pricing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

FaustianQ posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious right now.

a little as possible