Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Factory Factory posted:

This isn't patent trolling. According to Nvidia, it tried to work out licensing with Samsung for a long time before filing this suit. The GeForce 256 was the first totally integrated GPU. Unified shaders were a major shift in GPU design. Why shouldn't these things be patented? They're not even software techniques, but rather hard-goods inventions.

It looks to me like Samsung is just being caught in the crossfire due to being a major purchaser of mobile chips, honestly. Nvidia wants to hit Qualcomm and take a big chunk out of their wallet at the same time. Nvidia wouldn't need to work out a licensing agreement with Samsung as they aren't in the business of producing mobile graphics chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

Not the IP, but they absolutely do produce chips with GPUs - their Exynos SoCs use Mali and PowerVR GPU blocks.e

Well, I guess that shows how much I pay attention to the whole SoC scene. Samsung does look like a more legitimate target in that case.

isndl
May 2, 2012

SlayVus posted:

Freaking computer games! Always using two cores when we have up to 16 available. Maybe current gen consoles will make multi threaded cpu processing more likely on PC since they resemble PCs so closely.

Concurrency is a serious bitch to work with and takes incredible pre-planning to make it work right. Games in particular have it rough in that everything is slaved to responding to real-time inputs with as minimal a delay as possible - it's not like e.g. video encoding where you hit a button and wait for the result to be churned out.

isndl
May 2, 2012

McSlaughter posted:

Hey everyone, I have been working on building my new PC, but have encountered an issue with the GPU. Someone in the PC parts-picking thread recommended I ask here to see if anyone can help out with what's going on. Here's the original post, detailing the issue:

Just to note: I made a post on Tom's Hardware and was told that I didn't need to turn off my onboard graphics--despite what I had read elsewhere, including on the same website--so I re-enabled it in Device Manager, but that did not change anything. Like I said, the computer works fine without the GPU installed, but even if I mount the GPU and don't connect the PCIe connectors (as someone suggested I try) the monitor still does not receive a signal with the VGA cable. Also, I do not own a DVI cable and I attempted to use my HDMI cable but my monitor does not have an HDMI input so I had to use my television instead, which was also unable to retrieve a signal (which doesn't surprise me, since I could never get HDMI to work with my old desktop either even though it works without issue with my laptop). Thank you very much for your time, hopefully I'll be able to resolve this problem soon.

With the GPU installed, plug your monitor into your motherboard output so that it is using the onboard graphics (you may need to enable the onboard graphics in the BIOS while the GPU is installed). Then open the Device Manager and verify that Windows is recognizing the GPU.

My rough guess is that your GPU might be DOA, but it's possible that your motherboard itself is having issues. Also try different PCIe slots to see if that makes a difference. I assume you've also plugged in any auxiliary power if your GPU needs it, but double-check that too.

isndl
May 2, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

I know I'm explaining this poorly but I've never seen a benefit to letting fps soar way above your refresh, except in games where it doesn't matter either way (some less graphically intense games)

Naively coded engines often have physics tied to framerate, which can lead to unusual effects. Quake 3 and its derivatives literally let you jump higher at specific framerates, but more recent games also have issues. Skyrim will go nuts if you disable v-sync.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I ran an overclocked 290, i5-2500K with a significant overclock (4.6GHz, +.01V), a bunch of hard drives and fans on a 6 year old out of warranty 520W PSU. You were probably fine on the 630. I upgraded to that 750W Rosewill Capstone because it was $25 after rebate and a friend of mine could use the 520W in a budget build.

You gave your buddy a 6 year old PSU? Do you secretly hate him or something? :stare:

isndl
May 2, 2012

floor is lava posted:

Apparently the 970 GTX series has problems with performance after allocating the last 500mb of video ram.

geforce forum poster posted:

Nvidia needs to just give everyone a GTX 980 in exchange for their GTX 970 at no additional cost for all the trouble everyone is going through, and for ignoring everyone about a issue that is obvious.
I haven't seen the problem on mine but everyone that does has showed overwhelming proof that the problem does in fact exist and by a large number into the thousands as it's not just being posted on nvidias site, it's all over the internet.

Stay classy, random internet dude. :allears:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Urby posted:

Umm, question from someone without too much GPU knowledge, but what happened to the Asus 780 ti UCII cards. I bought one a while back for around $700(AUS) and recently have been wanting to get a second one to SLI with. Only issue is, I can't find a single PC shop that stocks them. And looking on Ebay. I only see one being sold for $1200.

So I guess my question is... what happened to the card market-wise and also, does anyone know where I can obtain one for a reasonable price?

You might be able to flip it and buy a couple 980s. Or given Australia's generous return policies, return it and buy 980s? It doesn't sound like you can get a new 780ti though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
People on Reddit are reporting that they managed to get partial refunds for their 970 purchase from Amazon/Newegg. Actual amount seems to vary from $20 to 20-30%, to not getting a refund at all.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Aren't Gigabyte boards the ones that have an extra set of pins for powering the PCIe slots that literally nobody else has? The parts picking thread discourages Gigabyte boards because of that kind of bullshit.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Ah, so it's an issue, but not nearly as much of an issue as people made it out to be. Good to know.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

Will do :)

Also I just remembered that I oriented the HSF so that it blows upward, theoretically taking advantage of natural convection. Maybe I should have it blow front to back since I might be drawing hot GPU air. Hrm.

Air is a poor conductor of heat, so you want to ignore convection and concentrate on physical contact (that is, pushing fresh air onto hot metal). Imagine being in a hot room with a ceiling fan: it's much more comfortable when the ceiling fan is blowing air directly onto you, even if the air near the ceiling is warmer than the air near the ground due to convection.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Who needs fancy aftermarket stuff when you can just use Nutella? :downs:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

You have a 970 and 16gb of ram and you're also running a $50 dual core cpu? I mean, it doesn't really explain the texture loading issue but you might want to upgrade that sometime soon.

That $50 CPU is also clocked to high heavens, so it's competitive with pretty much everything as far as single-threaded performance goes. It's pretty popular among the overclocking enthusiast crowd.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Darkpriest667 posted:

Odds are your stuttering issue is either your Storage (HDD definitely not an SSD unless its a lovely one) or your CPU is bottlenecked by the card (which is what I think it is)

Darkpriest667 posted:

I know reading is hard but your CPU would be the bottleneck and a 970 might be able to bottleneck yours. I said it wasnt the storage because it's an SSD not an HDD.

I'm trying to parse these comments in context and it's just not adding up. CPU is the bottleneck, but it's bottlenecked by the card? Wouldn't that make the card the bottleneck and not the CPU? The HDD is definitely not a SSD, except it is a SSD not HDD?

isndl
May 2, 2012

SlayVus posted:

We need the error the BSOD is giving to provide any support. He needs to set the computer to not restart on BSOD if it is. That way he can copy it down.

BSODs are logged in the Event Viewer, he shouldn't need to prevent the reboot and cause another one for the error.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

except that's not a GPU, it's a modem from the looks of it?

Do you think they can tell the difference?

isndl
May 2, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's a generated crypto key. You can save it and use it elsewhere

Like on that old rusting platter drive that you threw out a few years ago. Only four million dollars lost, no biggie right? :v:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Lol I still can't believe my 1080ti has 11 loving gigs of vram, how the hell am I supposed to use that?

What, you never went whole hog in modding Skyrim? You haven't lived until every blade of grass is lovingly rendered with 4k textures!

isndl
May 2, 2012
Then you get games like TF2 where the performance might get worse even as cards get better because of whatever the gently caress they're doing to the engine with each update. :shepface:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

I disagree.To each their own on this one I guess. I know I couldn't go back to a non-gsync monitor for gaming, much the same way I wouldn't go back to HDDs as the os/boot drive :)

The problem is that *sync's benefits are when you're slumming down below maximum frames, and for the $150-200 premium you're paying on GSync you could jump up a tier on your graphics card and not be slumming below maximum frames. And with every successive graphics card upgrade you should be less likely to be slumming otherwise it's not an upgrade.

If money is no object then sure, bling it out all you want, but when you're on a budget I think there's better ways to spend your dollars.

isndl
May 2, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Except new games come out, new games that require better and better GPUs, if you spend extra now on *sync you don't need to spend an extra $200 every two years to have the best of the best GPU to drive new games at the max refresh because dropping below max refresh does not really hurt you too much.

Newer games generally don't scale so quickly that a top end card from last generation is insufficient, there's often very minimal loss of fidelity dropping from Ultra to High yet significant framerate improvement, and the difference between 144fps and 100fps is a lot harder to notice than 90fps and 45fps. Newer games that actually push the envelope of PC graphics are also fairly rare, given the typical publisher demands of multi-platform releases.

I'm also reminded of the anecdote from a goon who raved about the improvement GSync was until he noticed he never enabled it. :v:

isndl
May 2, 2012

OhFunny posted:

Why do you want them to stop using the superior control option?

If staying crouched all the time is the norm for your games, then they're too slow paced for me.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Y'all got the wrong perspective for this. I'm not tilting my head back to look up, I'm pushing my focal point (i.e. the crosshair) up and my view follows.

isndl
May 2, 2012

DrDork posted:

so who knows how well it'll all translate into pixelated Laura Croft boobs or whatever.

For that much money the edges on those titties better be so sharp my eyes will bleed. :colbert:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

"calorific value" seems like a mis-translation of "heat output".

If a video card isn't low calorie and gluten free it might as well go straight to the trash. :colbert:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Palladium posted:

I'm not sure whether its fixed yet, but the insanely long transition times from indoor to the world map was so excruciating slow even on a SSD that it turned me off to the game almost completely.

That's probably the bug where disabling VSync and exceeding 60 FPS kills your load times. :bethesda:

isndl
May 2, 2012

DrDork posted:

But do they mine? :colbert:

What kind of hash rate do you think I can get with a phone GPU?

isndl
May 2, 2012
Now I'm curious as to how hard it would be to turn a console into a mining box. Minimal OS overhead and subsidized pricing helps, right? :thunk:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Truga posted:

hdcp is the only reason for hdmi even existing, otherwise everyone would be using displayport by now. thanks for the standards bloat, sony! :v:

The smaller plug that doesn't need you to secure using thumb screws is kinda nice though, in that gap between DVI and Displayport.

isndl
May 2, 2012

mr_gay_sex_fan posted:

Why isn't capitalism working in just churning out way more GPUs to meet the apparent demand?

Existing fabs are at capacity, and it costs billions of dollars and years of construction to build a new fab. Nobody wants to be left holding a multi billion dollar debt with no revenue after the crypto currency market crashes and demand disappears.

Free market capitalism assumes a low barrier to entry, which obviously isn't always possible.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Star Man posted:

If and when this RAM shortage goes away, I have a feeling that these spiked video card and RAM prices are going to stay that way.

Maybe not, if AMD has to aggressively price cut for yet another generational flop. :smith:

isndl
May 2, 2012
If anything it's a good thing that ASRock joins the GPU game because now we get to see some innovation. :getin:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Guigui posted:

Not sure if this should go here, or in haus of tech support...

Probably a better question for the Haus, but does your computer attempt to do anything when powering on? Error beeps, fans whirring, etc.? Tried leaving the card plugged in but plugging your monitor into integrated graphics, or using a different PCI slot? Leaving the card in the slot but unplugging the auxiliary power cable to the card? Basically try out different things for some data points to help pin down whether it's the card or the mobo or the PSU causing failures. If you got a spare PC plug the card in there to see what happens.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The only custom open loop you need is the one that uses an aquarium built into your case as the reservoir. Hope you don't cook the fish to death during your stress testing!

isndl
May 2, 2012

OhFunny posted:

I don't get what you mean by hackers. You sit down at the cafe and sign in to Steam and it asks you to take the Hardware Survey and you do. When you leave the next person signs in on their account and if they take the Hardware Survey as well. Then machine has been counted twice. That's what I assumed was happening.

Isn't that intended behavior? Because x players are playing games on hardware of y quality, regardless of whether they're identical specs or literally the same machine. The hardware survey is to see what players are playing games on, not to see what machines Steam is installed on.

I'm sure it'd be trivial for Valve to filter out same machine results if they really cared by assigning IDs to installations and hardware hashes. There's also a version of the Steam client specifically for gaming cafes as well, though I don't know if they're actually using it.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Jack Forge posted:

Wait. Why are you determined to put each monitor on a separate device (two cards / card and igpu)? Am I missing something, I just have both screens on the one card. (1070) Is there some profound advantage to having them separate like that?

Don't know about his setup, but for a while I was doing the same thing because I was running mismatched monitors and wanted my main one to be able to run at 120hz for gaming which my second monitor didn't support.

isndl
May 2, 2012

DrDork posted:

That's the secret weapon that's going to keep GPU mining relevant: climate change leading to flooding.

It's like a long and drawn out Russian roulette where the more you mine, the more global warming you cause to possibly knock someone out of operation.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Zil posted:

So in other words be sure to build your mining center not in a flood plain, preferably in a high elevation.

Won't save you if your local power plants go offline!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Palladium posted:

The fact that used K chips even maintain their price premiums over non-K parts is a good investment by itself, and an extra $40 at launch it's like 1/4 of my daily wage and when spread across 3+ years it's practically nothing. On the other hand when one is a poor high schooler or a third-worlder etc they shouldn't be looking at $300+ CPUs anyway.

That's a bad rationalization though, you shouldn't pay $40 now to get that $40 back later because in reality you've lost money because of inflation and opportunity cost. Buy the product that fits your usage.

e: to be clear, if you want to buy a -k processor for more performance, that's fine. Don't call it an investment because it's not going to be gaining value.

isndl fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 24, 2018