Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I picked up an EVGA GTX 970 from Micro Center for $270 yesterday. Funnily enough, it was returned because it was "too loud." I didn't notice any ambient volume increase compared to my old HD 6850, but I did notice I could pretty much max anything at 1080p and suffer from little to no performance hit.

It's a good card and I don't think I'd care to get a GTX 980 over the 970. It handled anything and everything I threw at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

AirRaid posted:

Jesus Christ that's cheap. Is that because it was a return?

Yep. Still had all the stickers on the ACX fans and stuff. Not sure it was even plugged into a computer before it was returned.

Tax kicked it up to ~$300, but still. I ain't complaining.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Skwee posted:

Oh I was confused, I thought you meant that you returned it after trying it out. So it isn't loud compared to a 6850? So probably quieter than a 5870 as well.

I had the Gigabyte HD 6850 with their special cooler and there is no discernible noise difference. Lot of ambient noise around my desk, though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

mcbexx posted:

DSR doesn't impede your framerate that much.
For instance, I'm using 3840x2400 DSR in Battlefield 4 with all options cranked up and I am at 80-110 frames per second with the occasional dip into the 70s.

Thats on a 2500k@4.0 and a single MSI 970GTX at stock speeds.
If you're looking into 120-144Hz however...

The gently caress am I doing wrong? 2500k@4.2 with a EVGA 970 ACX and I don't get near 60 with BF4 maxed at 1080p.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bleh Maestro posted:

What's the rest of your setup?

That definitely sounds wrong. You should be able to run BF4 up to 1440p at least with smooth 60fps.

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev 1.3 mobo, 16GB Kingston RAM (don't know the timings off my head but it's decent ram), and the game is on a 1TB WD Black.

I have been having issues all over Windows so I think when I cloned onto my new SSD (Intel 330) that something went awry and now my Windows is hosed.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hace posted:

You don't have resolution scale cranked up to 200%, do you?

Oh no. Running in native 1080p, no scaling, aside from initially trying DSR.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

veedubfreak posted:

Because it's 1% louder and 1% hotter than all the rest. People are retarded when it comes to some things apparently. So far every single person in this thread that has an EVGA 970 loves theirs.

EVGA 970 ACX 1.0 owner reporting in. This is the card that has the misaligned heatpipe issue and my card still never crests 60 degrees under load.

P.S. My gaming performance was great before I learned about the 970 bug and guess what, it's still phenomenal afterwards! Some people really freak out over minor things.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Lungboy posted:

The evga trade in extravaganza:

Any EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Graphics Card = $150 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Graphics Card = $100 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card = $75 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Graphics Card = $100 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Graphics Card = $75 CREDIT
Any EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Graphics Card = $50 CREDIT

Honestly think I'm going to hold onto my 970 for another generation and just buy a 2070 cheap.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
How easy is it to replace a cap on a GPU if your soldering skills are mediocre to bad? My GTX 970 no longer outputs any video, and I think the culprit is a capacitor that's so loose I can wiggle it with a finger easily.

If it doesn't work out, eh, I still got 6 years out of the thing. Bought it the day after it came out on a 20% Micro Center open box discount as someone returned it as it was "too loud."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Difficulty of soldering is inversely proportional to the number of tools you have at hand.

Yes, you can get by with just a soldering iron and solder, but if you have flux and wick, replacing caps becomes almost trivial.

I don't have flux, I should probably get some of that. I know it can help quite a bit. Have two different irons, solder and wick though.

Geemer posted:

Shouldn't be too bad. Pick up a piece of broken electronics/a thing you don't care about breaking and practice removing and re-attaching components a bit on that. That way you can get a feel for it.

Yeah, I got some arduino stuff laying around. I should try with that first.