Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012
I am looking forward to dumping my bargain bin, thrift store bought 9800 GT in favor of dropping off a 0 to gain an X.

Edit: My setup is the most lopsided thing. i5-4670k, 16 whole gigabytes of memory, and a 1 gb 9800 GT from a thrift store.

Smegma Princess X fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012
Babby post here, what is wrong with the stock nVidia coolers?

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012
I know i've seen it somewhere, but how does the 970 compare against the 980? I've got money coming in this week that would let me afford either one.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 980 is something like 10-15% more performance for ~210 bucks more. If you're absolutely dead-set against SLI and want the best single-card solution, the 980 is preferable if you're running 2560x1440+. Otherwise, you will get more value getting a 970 and buying a second to SLI later on when the fervor's died down. SLIed 970s will also be viable for 4K.

Also, you'll hear an 8GB 980 is rumored to be out before the end of the year. If you would be inclined to wait for that, keep in mind that a very large chunk of the cost in the current cards is the GDDR5. So tacking on another 4GB of that will very likely add something like 150-200 dollars on top of what a 980 costs now.

The most I have a tendency to run is two 1080s with one running a game and another doing something else. I'm never thinking of doing SLI.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012
So I made the jump to the Gigabyte G1 970. Now to just wait for Amazon to get some in stock.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

dreesemonkey posted:

If you're not tied to amazon, check newegg periodically, they've gotten stock a few times in the last week. I ordered mine last Friday, I think.

I'm not dead set on Amazon, unless they can deliver my card to me via drone, which isn't happening yet. So I've got the G1 on auto-notify with newegg. If that comes in while I'm off work I'd deffo pick it up from there.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

Smegma Princess X posted:

I'm not dead set on Amazon, unless they can deliver my card to me via drone, which isn't happening yet. So I've got the G1 on auto-notify with newegg. If that comes in while I'm off work I'd deffo pick it up from there.

gently caress Amazon, New Egg just got the card in stock and I ordered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012
So now that I've got my Gigabyte G1 up and running, what can you folks tell me about OCing it? I've looked at the OC Tool included with the card, but I can't make any sense of it.